ADVERTISEMENT

At the end of Muschamp's show, he said better days are...

If all you want is to beat a ranked team and Kentucky in year 4 then your bar is very low
Lol, while I want to be 15-0 in year 4, would you be in support of my position or call it unrealistic? Of course I want better but tell me how we will be better than 7-5 next year unless we beat UK and a top 25?

Lol, while I want to be 15-0 in year 4, would you be in support of my position or call it unrealistic? Of course I want better but tell me how we will be better than 7-5 next year unless we beat UK and a top 25?
I think year 4 is time is prove you’re the guy. I agree with you that we should do that, but by year 4 we should be challenging for the East. Next year will be a tough year though.

Reactions: Judson1
Don't think I'd be dogging Kentucky.
Wasn’t a dogging of Kentucky at all. I have respect for the wildcats. I was just implying in year 4 of a rebuild if you’re actually gonna build a team you need to beat everybody in your division. If we went 7-5 next year but beat Kentucky I wouldn’t consider it a successful year.

#8 in Rivals and have a 5-star recruit (which you haven't had many lately) plus a top qb recruit.
Battleship Texas, thanks for your kind comments.

In fairness, recently Forbes Magazine ranked USC in terms of resources, #17 in the country. Country wide, we are listed as approximately #20 in recruiting for 2019. IMHO, we are recuriting pretty well, but slightly under achieving. Until Spurrier had his top ten recruiting classes, we have historically underachieved.

Offense is for sure losing its two best players: Deebo and Bailey, in some order. The unit could possibly lose it’s third and fourth best players as well: Edwards and Stanley, in some order. If all 4 of those guys are gone, it’s going to hurt; and that side of the ball will probably have to work through some growing pains, even with a long time starter returning at QB and some quality, if somewhat theoretical at this point, depth at WR and OL. The running backs are an average group, at best, and that’s not going to change.

Defense will lose two starting CBs, one of the few position groups to play well. They’ll lose safety options, and if Kinlaw goes, they’ll be replacing their most talented lineman.

The better days ahead stuff could be said for every team not named Alabam and Clemson. It’s hollow on its face, and especially true for a team like South Carolina who might be replacing their two best wide receivers, two best offensive lineman, their best corner and best defensive lineman.
I'm not so worried about those losses. It'll hurt some losing our top 2 receivers but Shi Smith has shown he is ready to be the #1 guy. We will also get Ortre back from his injury and Josh Vann showed flashes that he is going to be a good one. We've recruited well at the O-line position and I expect to continue seeing improvement there. It seems like B-Mac is finally getting the offense to do what it is capable of. With an improved defense we should be a tough out for anyone.

#8 in Rivals and have a 5-star recruit (which you haven't had many lately) plus a top qb recruit.
We also are sitting at 17 commitments where as the teams ranked ahead of us have 20 and better. I know recruiting has been quiet lately but I expect it to pick back up real soon and we should get a handful more commitments in the next couple of months.

Reactions: roosterbell
I'm not so worried about those losses. It'll hurt some losing our top 2 receivers but Shi Smith has shown he is ready to be the #1 guy. We will also get Ortre back from his injury and Josh Vann showed flashes that he is going to be a good one. We've recruited well at the O-line position and I expect to continue seeing improvement there. It seems like B-Mac is finally getting the offense to do what it is capable of. With an improved defense we should be a tough out for anyone.
Muschamp needs to be scouring the juco ranks for defensive backs, safeties and defensive linemen bigger than 270.

So UF and KY are sure losses? How Kentucky has beaten us is beyond most people’s reasoning skills. There’s only been one year that anyone would say they were the better team. Kentucky had their big eight win season and will be back to winning six games next year.
I have no idea if they are sure losses. I was paraphrasing what CWM might say, not offering any opinions on our upcoming schedule.

I wasn't thrilled with the Muschamp hire, but he's done a great job so far IMO.

Reactions: JOEFANATIC
I wasn't thrilled with the Muschamp hire, but he's done a great job so far IMO.

Losing Spurrier from this program has been tougher for people than they realize or want to admit. Spurrier was a national brand. Media were always interested in how he was doing and what he had to say. He was a force on the recruiting trail when he wanted to be because of his legendary status. His reputation for player development and gameday coaching was beyond reproach. His personal profile raised the profile of the program in a way that Muschamp cannot come close to unless he has incredible sustained succes. South Carolina wins and losses were national news under Spurrier. Now, they rarely warrant even a regional mention.

Has Muschamp exceeded a lot of people’s expectations of him on the field? I would say so. But it seems to me, people are struggling with this program sliding back a few notches in terms of national and regional respect— which Spurrier generated by his presence. People deride the way things ended, but we all must admit that Muschamp followed a legend.

We also are sitting at 17 commitments where as the teams ranked ahead of us have 20 and better. I know recruiting has been quiet lately but I expect it to pick back up real soon and we should get a handful more commitments in the next couple of months.

There are a lot of things you can legitimately complain about with regard to Muschamp, but recruiting isn't one of them.

In fairness, recently Forbes Magazine ranked USC in terms of resources, #17 in the country. Country wide, we are listed as approximately #20 in recruiting for 2019. IMHO, we are recuriting pretty well, but slightly under achieving. Until Spurrier had his top ten recruiting classes, we have historically underachieved.

I have stated before how unfair it would be to continually compare whatever head coach you have to Spurrier, whether that is Muschamp or someone else. SC is never going to consistently out recruit Alabama, Georgia, LSU and Florida. So you start at #5 in the SEC at best. Those schools recruiting fields and other advantages are just too much. You need to battle Arkansas, Tennessee and the Mississippi's to at least a draw and have some wins. That will be plenty of talent to win a lot of games.

Reactions: Judson1

I know that Spurrier had one Top 10 recruiting class here. I don't recall multiple such classes. Not saying he didn't. I'm just too lazy to look it up and, thus, relying on an old memory.

Reactions: rogue cock
Not with early signing. It's a done deal in December now - 3 weeks, with people scrambling to pick up the ones that may not qualify and the JUCO xfers in February.

ahead. How would you measure that remark? I say beat a top 25 team and Kentucky in the same season. What say you?
We beat a top 25 team this year. Missouri is in the Playoff top 25 ranking and we beat them with a back up QB.

Reactions: Goldhunter
We should have three more wins over Ranked teams. Florida/Kentucky/ Texas A&M. Win those and it’s a great year.

I know....and Kentucky, Clemson, and Florida are home games next year and if we can play offense on the road at Texas AM they way we did at Clemson, could be a really good year.

I know....and Kentucky, Clemson, and Florida are home games next year and if we can play offense on the road at Texas AM they way we did at Clemson, could be a really good year.

Very true..... I don’t think next year’s schedule is that big of deal since we know Clemson and Georgia are going to be tough, and the Alabama game is very likely a loss. But Georgia and Clemson are not unbeatable. Kind of like this year and last .....if things fall the right way we can have a great year And if not, it could be ugly. It should be fun

I have stated before how unfair it would be to continually compare whatever head coach you have to Spurrier, whether that is Muschamp or someone else. SC is never going to consistently out recruit Alabama, Georgia, LSU and Florida. So you start at #5 in the SEC at best. Those schools recruiting fields and other advantages are just too much. You need to battle Arkansas, Tennessee and the Mississippi's to at least a draw and have some wins. That will be plenty of talent to win a lot of games.

Why not? Klempson does? We have the same circumstances that they do but with a bigger alumni base.

ahead. How would you measure that remark? I say beat a top 25 team and Kentucky in the same season. What say you?

Our overall talent is improving. Because of injuries back ups got lots of experience. I can’t see us having this many injuries every year. Current commitments fit our needs very well. We need to make sure Bentley and Kinlaw return for their senior seasons. Without a doubt, we should be better next year. We may not win anymore games, but we will be improved.

I believe you are correct.....it was an unbelievable year for in-state talent.

Spurrier’s best class (can’t remember the year) was the class with Culliver , Garcia , Cliff Matthews , Robertson , Wesley Saunders , etc etc .... I think it was 5th or 6th nationally . A lot of NC and Florida kids in that class . The class with Alshon and Gilmore that actually turned the program around was top 15 I think .

Reactions: rogue cock
Love Benny but UK's offense will be better without him. Rose is faster and CMS will allow the offense to be more balanced next year instead of feeding Benny so much.

giphy.gif

Reactions: NetworkX
What we need to realize is that Muschamp is a great and relentless recruiter, BUT he is not recruiting under the Texas, Florida or Auburn banner anymore. We are not those programs with their rich football history and tradition. He will need to get solid players at the 3 and 4 star level. Get a few 5 stars that are regional. And then coach them up and finally start to beat the top 25 teams that he keeps losing against.

Next year looks like a daunting challenge with games vs Texas A&M, Georgia, Bama, and Clemson. We have many toss up games with Florida, Tennessee, Kentucky and Mizzou. Those 4 will make the difference in a so so season or a great season.

We see the games that we scrape a win out but we feel that the games we barely lose are wins the next year. I have to call all of those wins and losses the next year as toss up games.

Reactions: PC31 and rogue cock
What we need to realize is that Muschamp is a great and relentless recruiter, BUT he is not recruiting under the Texas, Florida or Auburn banner anymore. We are not those programs with their rich football history and tradition. He will need to get solid players at the 3 and 4 star level. Get a few 5 stars that are regional. And then coach them up and finally start to beat the top 25 teams that he keeps losing against.

Next year looks like a daunting challenge with games vs Texas A&M, Georgia, Bama, and Clemson. We have many toss up games with Florida, Tennessee, Kentucky and Mizzou. Those 4 will make the difference in a so so season or a great season.

We see the games that we scrape a win out but we feel that the games we barely lose are wins the next year. I have to call all of those wins and losses the next year as toss up games.
Agree....and that was what I expected of him when he was hired.

Reactions: PC31
Offense is for sure losing its two best players: Deebo and Bailey, in some order. The unit could possibly lose it’s third and fourth best players as well: Edwards and Stanley, in some order. If all 4 of those guys are gone, it’s going to hurt; and that side of the ball will probably have to work through some growing pains, even with a long time starter returning at QB and some quality, if somewhat theoretical at this point, depth at WR and OL. The running backs are an average group, at best, and that’s not going to change.

Defense will lose two starting CBs, one of the few position groups to play well. They’ll lose safety options, and if Kinlaw goes, they’ll be replacing their most talented lineman.

The better days ahead stuff could be said for every team not named Alabam and Clemson. It’s hollow on its face, and especially true for a team like South Carolina who might be replacing their two best wide receivers, two best offensive lineman, their best corner and best defensive lineman.

Bailey is 1 of our 2 best offensive players? He's a good player, but he's not even our best offensive lineman according to PFF grading system. This year's draft is loaded at the DT position, so i wouldn't be shocked of Kinlaw came back. DB and LB are our biggest concerns going forward next season. Horn proved that a true Freshman can play well at DB this season so hopefully we'll have another come in and play next year. Plus we should have all of the injured DB's back, minus Ibe.

We should have three more wins over Ranked teams. Florida/Kentucky/ Texas A&M. Win those and it’s a great year.
Which kinda sums up our overall position in comparison to the bama's, uf's, aTm's, uga's and lsu's of The SEC: we're so close, yet so far away...

I believe that if Champ can achieve winning season after winning season - and blatantly with a gradual yet steady increase in the number of wins each season - then as time progresses so will the number of wins; to the point to where Champ can and does achieve the same "legendary" status as of the Saban's and Spurrier's of The SEC, and therefore earning the same media attention and respect!! 7 years from now (and that ladies and gentleman is a minimally necessary time frame), there is a very distinct possibility that Champ can and will be within the top rank of SEC coaches.

JMHOFWIW, and if that is a little vague, do forgive me as I am guilty here of D'ing and T'ing!! SmokinSmile:eek:Eyeroll;)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT