ADVERTISEMENT

Athlon Sports has our football team ranked #74.

gr8spur

Sep 16, 2003
I don’t remember a preseason magazine rating us that low...ever! But probably deserved after the past 3-year decline. What really looks weird (just thinking back to the 80’s and 90’s) is the following rankings: FSU #59, Nebraska #64, and Tennessee #72.

Reactions: redrogers
All those magazines look at is what your record was last year and who you have coming back. That is it. They are no better at predicting where teams will end up than a 3 year old child is at picking stocks. Nobody has any clue how good this team is because we have a new coaching staff, mostly new players and have not played a game yet. We may go undefeated or we may go winless- impossible to know. Don’t put any weight on this ranking though..

My prediction- We will win more games than last year. I also think we can win 6 and make a bowl mainly because the first half of the schedule is pretty easy. How we do against the second half will tell us a lot more about whether we really improved a bunch or not.

I don’t remember a preseason magazine rating us that low...ever! But probably deserved after the past 3-year decline. What really looks weird (just thinking back to the 80’s and 90’s) is the following rankings: FSU #59, Nebraska #64, and Tennessee #72.
Are you surprised? Muschamp left us in a bad shape. Ranked 74 is good. I had us at 150.

All those magazines look at is what your record was last year and who you have coming back. That is it. They are no better at predicting where teams will end up than a 3 year old child is at picking stocks. Nobody has any clue how good this team is because we have a new coaching staff, mostly new players and have not played a game yet. We may go undefeated or we may go winless- impossible to know. Don’t put any weight on this ranking though..

My prediction- We will win more games than last year. I also think we can win 6 and make a bowl mainly because the first half of the schedule is pretty easy. How we do against the second half will tell us a lot more about whether we really improved a bunch or not.
I don’t put a lot of stock in their ability to predict the season, but I do enjoy thumbing through them. I agree with you in thinking 6 wins is possible. Whole new coaching staff. And a different starting QB (from game 1). This will be a different team for sure. We really need a 4-1 start.

Reactions: USCLaw85
Are you surprised? Muschamp left us in a bad shape. Ranked 74 is good. I had us at 150.
Yes. We are still trying to dig out of the mess in basketball that Horn left. The current coach is being given 15 years to get the program on solid ground. So no pressure on Beamer until maybe 2036. Let's roll with it.

Used to love reading those yearly publications before the internet. Now, they make great kindling.
My birthday is June 5. My wife‘s gotten these for me for the past 30 years. I asked to only get one this year. I couldn’t bear the idea of reading 3-4 magazines predicting our demise. But I did get a nice new Gamecock shirt.

Reactions: uscwatson21
Who cares where they are ranked? It doesn't matter. Here folks are hoping for 6 wins so they can qualify for whatever jack leg bowl is being held in Charlotte. You conduct a coaching search on the cheap, and then hire the cheapest one of the bunch. I just hope in my lifetime that we can see USC as a serious player in the SEC.

Can’t say I disagree. I’d have to see some teams ahead of us, but Beamer would be up for Coach of the Year if he got us bowling. We won 2 games last year and lost our entire secondary. There is a reason why Beamer is going to get 5 years minimum to try and rebuild this thing. This is like Darrin Horn bad.

Reactions: Brace1
I don’t look at that but Vegas can be sometimes accurate. They have us at less than 5 wins which is disheartening.

I remember going into the 2000 season (right after 0-11) one of the magazines either TSN, Lindys, or Athlon had us ranked #78.

That's pretty low, even by SC standards. Unfortunately, in reality we might be lower.

The only indicator of near future performance is near past performance. I have us about there as well. And I'm afraid that's about good enough for the SEC cellar. I don't expect much and I'll give Shane a pass unless he's incredibly inept.

I think most of us will admit that anything over 4 wins is based on hoping, wishing, and praying that we will be better. I’m hoping for 6 wins.
Looking at analytics I would have to go with a 4 win ceiling. As you said anything above that based on hope.

Do you really find it impossible to know if SC is going undefeated this season? I get the point you're trying to make but I do think people can make reasonable predictions about the expected success, or lack thereof, of a team. Of course pundits use your most recent record and who is coming back or left, as a gage of your likely success. If not those variables, what do you suggest they use for predictions?

Do you really find it impossible to know if SC is going undefeated this season? I get the point you're trying to make but I do think people can make reasonable predictions about the expected success, or lack thereof, of a team. Of course pundits use your most recent record and who is coming back or left, as a gage of your likely success. If not those variables, what do you suggest they use for predictions?
If you get my point then why do you ask the question? Publications like PFBF use much more complex analytics than most to predict potential success of individual players. Athlon looks at records and maybe like the comp % of a returning QB. The technology today allows for much more detailed analysis than these publications are capable of analyzing. My point was bot to imply we should be a top 25 team or anything close to that, but it appears as though most are not even looking at the schedule we have this year when making their win predictions. “They sucked last year, lost their best WR= same win total this year”… NM we are adding a 5* RB back into the mix in addition to the SEC leading rusher. Never-mind we return 6 of our top 7 OL who blocked for said RB (4/5 starters and most the top backups), nevermind we added a handful of talented WRs from the portal who have proven high level production at the college level… Ignore all that! We lost 8/10 games last year- extrapolate that win% to this schedule irregardless of competition and you get 3/4 wins max= lazy man’s prediction. I know expecting and undefeated season is unreasonable, as do I believe a winless expectation is unreasonable… With the scedule we have, as fans we should expect an improvement this year. That’s my point. If you follow this team closely, YOUR understanding of what we have is dramatically better than Athlon’s.

Reactions: IH8FATBRAD
If you get my point then why do you ask the question? Publications like PFBF use much more complex analytics than most to predict potential success of individual players. Athlon looks at records and maybe like the comp % of a returning QB. The technology today allows for much more detailed analysis than these publications are capable of analyzing. My point was bot to imply we should be a top 25 team or anything close to that, but it appears as though most are not even looking at the schedule we have this year when making their win predictions. “They sucked last year, lost their best WR= same win total this year”… NM we are adding a 5* RB back into the mix in addition to the SEC leading rusher. Never-mind we return 6 of our top 7 OL who blocked for said RB (4/5 starters and most the top backups), nevermind we added a handful of talented WRs from the portal who have proven high level production at the college level… Ignore all that! We lost 8/10 games last year- extrapolate that win% to this schedule irregardless of competition and you get 3/4 wins max= lazy man’s prediction. I know expecting and undefeated season is unreasonable, as do I believe a winless expectation is unreasonable… With the scedule we have, as fans we should expect an improvement this year. That’s my point. If you follow this team closely, YOUR understanding of what we have is dramatically better than Athlon’s.
With respect, how do you know these services haven't considered who SC has returning, who they have brought in, and who is on the schedule? I think most people - you and me included - can pretty accurately predict what SC's record will be, even with our limited "analytics." The over/under on wins is 4. With a defense that finished 12th in conference, an unproven QB, and a great returning RB but not much else in the way of a proven offensive threat, 4/5 wins doesn't sound crazy. SC will be favored in 3 of the 4 out of conference games (although I'd suggest 3 wins is no guarantee), and outside of Vandy, probably won't be favored in any SEC game.

With respect, how do you know these services haven't considered who SC has returning, who they have brought in, and who is on the schedule? I think most people - you and me included - can pretty accurately predict what SC's record will be, even with our limited "analytics." The over/under on wins is 4. With a defense that finished 12th in conference, an unproven QB, and a great returning RB but not much else in the way of a proven offensive threat, 4/5 wins doesn't sound crazy. SC will be favored in 3 of the 4 out of conference games (although I'd suggest 3 wins is no guarantee), and outside of Vandy, probably won't be favored in any SEC game.
It is widely discussed/ known what they use in their rankings.. Most recently I heard it discussed on the radio, so I don’t have a link. These services are out of date as are most print media options… More to my point- what I am saying is they give a cursory examination to hundreds of teams! Local media and even knowledgeable and attentive fans of a team are generally better informed than Athlon about their specific team.

Who cares where they are ranked? It doesn't matter. Here folks are hoping for 6 wins so they can qualify for whatever jack leg bowl is being held in Charlotte. You conduct a coaching search on the cheap, and then hire the cheapest one of the bunch. I just hope in my lifetime that we can see USC as a serious player in the SEC.
We have learned the hard way that you can spend too much. Lets see what Shane can do.

Don't we have 2 five star players on our DL, and one at RB..?? 4 star at QB..?We had a horrible coach. We lost games in the last 2 years we should have never lost. I'm not putting a number on it, but I think we are way improved.

Reactions: gr8spur
We should stop caring about win totals- especially this year. Muschamp won 16 games in his first 2 years. It doesn't mean a whole lot. Let's look for fundamentals and discipline. If we go 0-11 with fundamentals and discipline that's already an improvement.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT