ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball Hall of Fame

Says you. Both are against the rules.

You’re also willfully denying (or overlooking) the decades upon decades of steroid use in Major League Baseball to single out a handful of players as “cheaters.” Steroid use (amongst other performance enhancing drugs) was ubiquitous from the late 60’s until well into the 2000’s. The leaders of the MLB, through their lackey writers, have tried to compartmentalize that whole era into a nice little box by pointing to a few stars as the problem. You’ve bought it hook, line and sinker.
When did they start testing for roids?

Says you. Both are against the rules.

You’re also willfully denying (or overlooking) the decades upon decades of steroid use in Major League Baseball to single out a handful of players as “cheaters.” Steroid use (amongst other performance enhancing drugs) was ubiquitous from the late 60’s until well into the 2000’s. The leaders of the MLB, through their lackey writers, have tried to compartmentalize that whole era into a nice little box by pointing to a few stars as the problem. You’ve bought it hook, line and sinker.
Welp I guess that means Schwarzenneger won't get into the HOF either. 😁

Any player, umpire, or club or league official or employee, who shall bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in connection with which the bettor has a duty to perform shall be declared permanently ineligible.
Is that word for word a written rule that eliminated him from being considered? Or are those your words and your interpretation?

If Harold Baines is in the HOF then Murphy should definitely be in…so should Andruw Jones…
They need to blow of the voting system - the baseball writers deal is a joke.
It’s a silly popularity contest. In this day of metrics and endless stats there should be some set performance criteria and the voting should be a mix of media and former players, more heavily weighted towards former players

I'll be clear. I can't stand Bonds nor Clemens. They are both arrogant jerks, and Bonds acted as if he was above the game, which is unforgivable for me. No one is above the game. It would suit me if they are never in Cooperstown, and yes, I was happy last night when they didn't get in. But, I do concede that IF they were to ever get in, they damn sure better put Shoeless Joe in.

Schilling not getting in solely because of his conservative politics is complete and total BS and the writers should be ashamed.
See stats below: Schilling is no victim; maybe you are the one bringing his politics into the decision. And it's not like MLB has ever realistically been some bastion of the liberal establishment.

Reactions: Dizzy01
All-time Hits Leader not in. All-time HR leader not in. 354 wins, not in. Doesn’t seem like a legit hall of fame if you ask me. And let’s not pretend MLB didn’t know what was going on during the 90’s and 00’s.

I don’t like any of these players. But to say they aren’t Hall of Famers is silly and everyone knows it. Hell, create a special section for them and acknowledge their mistakes if you want. But no doubt these are some of the best baseball players to ever play the game.

Sports Writers have no business voting on these things. They share one brain. They’ve ruined other awards too, like the Heisman Trophy. It’s completely irrelevant…just like Cooperstown is now.

Reactions: shagginrooster
I a
The Baseball Writer's Association of America should be ashamed and disbanded. First off, they use BBWAA as their acronym - baseball is one word geniuses! Not two that would make BB make sense.

But leaving Bonds and Clemens out of the hall completely just shows that they aren't capable of doing the job they were given by the HOF. Like most people that elect themselves as the "morality police," the BBWAA falls well short and their decisions are fraught with hypocrisy and irrational reasoning.

Sending a message by not electing two of the top 20 players of all time as first-ballot guys was acceptable. But taking it this far just shows that a bunch of losers with mustard-stained shirts from the free pretzels in the press box shouldn't be given tasks beyond writing what they see on a given night.
I assume you're also in favor of the "no bail" Law in California, where criminals can't be held in jail while awaiting trial?
Where will all this end? Pete, Barry, and Roger are all guilty of something they knew was against the rules. Pete denied his wrongdoing for years, until he was broke. He finally admitted gambling (but not against his team), then, immediately wanted to know when he could get into the HOF. THAT is what turned me against Pete. Humility is the key IMO. Pete only found it after his memorabilia became nearly worthless.

I a

I assume you're also in favor of the "no bail" Law in California, where criminals can't be held in jail while awaiting trial?
Where will all this end? Pete, Barry, and Roger are all guilty of something they knew was against the rules. Pete denied his wrongdoing for years, until he was broke. He finally admitted gambling (but not against his team), then, immediately wanted to know when he could get into the HOF. THAT is what turned me against Pete. Humility is the key IMO. Pete only found it after his memorabilia became nearly worthless.

Not really sure how that "no bail" law is related, but I've not heard of it before so I have no opinion of it.

I will say that I think Pete and Shoeless Joe's situation are different. That's an MLB decision to ban them from baseball and then the HOF decided anyone on the banned list couldn't be voted in - so it's not a BBWAA decision. The writers couldn't elect them in if they wanted to.

But I will say, the fact that MLB never banned Barry and Roger should be all the direction the writers need to understand that it's not their job to do it. There have been many players banned from baseball - and almost all due to gambling. Not a single one due to PED's - even though MLB has known everything going on for decades. If MLB (the governing body of the sport that has banned others for behaviors in the past) doesn't think their transgressions arise to the level of banning, why should the writers?

Again, it's a bunch of idiots that voted themselves as the "morality police" and their morals fall well short because they choose to only exercise it on players they don't personally like.

Not really sure how that "no bail" law is related, but I've not heard of it before so I have no opinion of it.

I will say that I think Pete and Shoeless Joe's situation are different. That's an MLB decision to ban them from baseball and then the HOF decided anyone on the banned list couldn't be voted in - so it's not a BBWAA decision. The writers couldn't elect them in if they wanted to.

But I will say, the fact that MLB never banned Barry and Roger should be all the direction the writers need to understand that it's not their job to do it. There have been many players banned from baseball - and almost all due to gambling. Not a single one due to PED's - even though MLB has known everything going on for decades. If MLB (the governing body of the sport that has banned others for behaviors in the past) doesn't think their transgressions arise to the level of banning, why should the writers?

Again, it's a bunch of idiots that voted themselves as the "morality police" and their morals fall well short because they choose to only exercise it on players they don't personally like.
Thank you for reminding me that MLB banned S. Joe and P. Rose. Now I remember why I never watch MLB anymore. I still agree that the BBWAA are a majority of idiots.

Major League Baseball is too high and mighty when it comes to the hof. And the writers are sick on the power to select basically judging folks.

Plus baseball is boring as heck.

Let Bonds, Macquire, Sosa, Shilling and all the other PED folks in….WGAF.

Bonds was a five tool player before 1998 with 445 homers, MVP and five golden gloves.

Reactions: shagginrooster
Schilling not getting in solely because of his conservative politics is complete and total BS and the writers should be ashamed.
I know this is the trendy thing to blame it on but Schilling was eligible before a lot of that came out. Oddly enough as more people have made this statement his vote totals increased which seems to somewhat contradict this theory. He struck out a lot of guys and had a great post season career but really that’s it. In terms of ERA and wins there are a lot of guys that had better numbers than him that aren’t in the HOF. You could make better arguments for guys like Tim Hudson and Dennis Martinez being in the HOF before Schilling.

Reactions: caughtlookin
If he was one of the best hitters all time, why did he have to cheat?
Ultimately, he ended up being one of the best hitters of all time combining his first 12 years with his last 9. However, before he began using in 98 he had 411 homers and a .290 batting average, I don't think I would call him one of the best at that point. I think the question for me remains, not that he would not have been enshrined one way or the other, but would he have broken all of the home run records? Using steroids allowed him to play and stay healthy for another9 years and hitting another 360 homers. My opinion is he maybe hits 200ish more. because at some point most players face injuries as they get older. I think Chipper Jones missed almost 2 full seasons with ailments later in his career, had he used he may have improved his numbers by preventing injury as well.

Reactions: Dizzy01
Ultimately, he ended up being one of the best hitters of all time combining his first 12 years with his last 9. However, before he began using in 98 he had 411 homers and a .290 batting average, I don't think I would call him one of the best at that point. I think the question for me remains, not that he would not have been enshrined one way or the other, but would he have broken all of the home run records? Using steroids allowed him to play and stay healthy for another9 years and hitting another 360 homers. My opinion is he maybe hits 200ish more. because at some point most players face injuries as they get older. I think Chipper Jones missed almost 2 full seasons with ailments later in his career, had he used he may have improved his numbers by preventing injury as well.
Chipper might be the best 3B to ever play the game. Batted .300+ from both sides of the plate for his career. And did it with power. I was glad he didn't go over to a AL team at the end of his career to play a few seasons as a DH.

Chipper might be the best 3B to ever play the game. Batted .300+ from both sides of the plate for his career. And did it with power. I was glad he didn't go over to a AL team at the end of his career to play a few seasons as a DH.
agreeed, just wonder how good his numbers would have been if he was not injury plagued from, really 04-08 and then a little less than half the season in 2010.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT