ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball - Where do we Turn?

PokerCock

Jan 6, 2016
I guess we got what we wanted getting Chad out of town. Full disclosure: I was the ring leader of the FireHolbrook Mafia.

Now that we have lost games to 4 in-state schools, is it safe to say we are the worst team in SC? This team has no swagger and frankly, has a nonexistent baseball IQ. Situational hitting is abysmal. If we don't hit homers, we don't win games. Is this Kingston's offensive philosophy? Swing for the fences in every plate appearance?

The fact that it was 3-3 in the B8, no outs, and a man on 3rd, and we don't score is inexcusable.

Our RPI is now 141 and we're off to the worst start since 1996. Hard to think this team is just that devoid of talent.

It's going to be hard to watch CofC come to Columbia and beat us with Chad in the dugout. They are 15-6 with a sweep against UGA and a series win @ K-State. RPI is also at 41.

Absolutely sickening where this program is right now.

Wish we would have built a larger field from day one. A pitcher's field that encourages good base hitting. Was disappointed when Tanner decided not to go that direction.

Last edited:
Down the lines is short, but its 400 to straight away center.
Problem is pitchers don't usually throw it down the middle of the plate. And with that said, if one did, we only have a couple of guys who actually go with the pitch... maybe because we're short down the lines.

Time to fire the guy. Sad to say but it is what it is, I mean 4 losses to in state schools? Now we go out and hire the best coach in the country. It's that simple

Time to fire the guy. Sad to say but it is what it is, I mean 4 losses to in state schools? Now we go out and hire the best coach in the country. It's that simple

Not insinuating it's time to fire Kingston. Just sharing some concerns. The knock on Holbrook was that he was a horrible in-game coach, but a great recruiter. If we have such great players, you tell me where the problem is right now...

Reactions: Bazurke and pettyw
Wish we would have built a larger field from day one. A pitcher's field that encourages good base hitting. Was disappointed when Tanner decided not to go that direction.

Field seemed to work fairly well when we won 2 national championships. The Sarge was smaller and we did pretty well there too.

source.gif

Notice the colors he's wearing. This is the life of a Gamecock.

Field seemed to work fairly well when we won 2 national championships. The Sarge was smaller and we did pretty well there too.
We've had some great years. No doubt. But we won 2 national championships after Ray adopted a more smallball approach. He admitted as much. So it didn't matter what size field we had when we won big.

Look, there are different theories and philosophies in baseball. Not saying one is wrong or the other is right. Mine will differ from a lot of fans. I would like to see us play on a larger field if it puts the focus on base hitting. We don't. I'm still a fan. Lighten up...it's not a big deal.

Look, there are different theories and philosophies in baseball. Not saying one is wrong or the other is right. Mine will differ from a lot of fans. I would like to see us play on a larger field if it puts the focus on base hitting. We don't. I'm still a fan. Lighten up...it's not a big deal.
However, as others have pointed out, we won with small ball, in the same ballpark. We should strive to have a good balance between both small ball and long ball.

It's the 21st Century attitude of youth, i.e. hurry up and get it over with. Real life doesn't work that way. The 'baseball gods' want to see you work at it - the hard way.

Reactions: cocky4
However, as others have pointed out, we won with small ball, in the same ballpark. We should strive to have a good balance between both small ball and long ball.
Absolutely. If you're not good at all aspects of the game, you'll never be a championship team.

Woe is me I thought all this was going to be turned around in a half a season. Dang that Ray Tanner for not hiring that miracle worker when he applied.

This sounds like a broken record. No one expected us to make it to Omaha this year, but I'd imagine most expected us to be doing better than 13-8 with losses to 4 in-state teams, no?

We're in the worst shape we've been in since 1996. Crazy to question it, huh?

I wanna say we're better than Presbyterian, Newberry, Erskine and Francis Marion. Definitely not the best in the state though.

It's the 21st Century attitude of youth, i.e. hurry up and get it over with. Real life doesn't work that way. The 'baseball gods' want to see you work at it - the hard way.
When it comes to RISP, you may be right.

Not insinuating it's time to fire Kingston. Just sharing some concerns. The knock on Holbrook was that he was a horrible in-game coach, but a great recruiter. If we have such great players, you tell me where the problem is right now...
Changing what has been taught the past 2/3 years. It's a matter of repetition. They have been taught a poor approach the past few years, especially late in the count. Its going to take awhile to break the bad habits that they often fall back to. Its mental more than physical.

The fact that it was 3-3 in the B8, no outs, and a man on 3rd, and we don't score is inexcusable.

Do you think this is coaching, or do we blame it on Holbrook players?

This sounds like a broken record. No one expected us to make it to Omaha this year, but I'd imagine most expected us to be doing better than 13-8 with losses to 4 in-state teams, no?

We're in the worst shape we've been in since 1996. Crazy to question it, huh?
No not crazy to question it, just silly. We hire a new coach and the fans want instant gratification but it doesn't happen that way in the real world. And when it doesn't happen overnight the fans go off the deep end. The worse thing that can happen in any Carolina sport is success, it creates the monster of false reality forever. Actually, the broken record talk begins with premature chatter about Ray not hiring the right guy etc. The record isn't where some think it should be but there are signs of heading in the right direction of you stop to see. No coach is hired to do miracles in half a season that's why they have five year contracts. We've be IN nearly every game we have played and that's a good signal.

No not crazy to question it, just silly. We hire a new coach and the fans want instant gratification but it doesn't happen that way in the real world. And when it doesn't happen overnight the fans go off the deep end. The worse thing that can happen in any Carolina sport is success, it creates the monster of false reality forever. Actually, the broken record talk begins with premature chatter about Ray not hiring the right guy etc. The record isn't where some think it should be but there are signs of heading in the right direction of you stop to see. No coach is hired to do miracles in half a season that's why they have five year contracts. We've be IN nearly every game we have played and that's a good signal.
You don't need a miraculous turnaround to beat the Citadel and Furman. We're competing in close games, but we need wins.

Where's the old "citadel threw their weekend guy" thread?
Fact is there is parity in baseball. It's driven by the low scholarship rule and frankly It's a good thing.
I think football should also have that same low scholarship limit but that doesn't fit the NCAA's agenda of big $$$$ where the same teams are always strong.

Last edited:
Reactions: rogue cock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT