ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball - Where do we Turn?

I appreciate you refreshing my memory on that. You are spot on. I guess adapting to the new bat might be a better description... at least on the repeat. With that said, in 2010 our number of sacs nearly doubled 2009. It wouldn't be too far fetched to say he may have been preparing for the new bat as early as then. I guess all that went out the window when they changed to ball in 2015. Holbrook may have pretty much abandoned smallball in 2014 in preparation of that. Couple of years later, we looked totally inept at it.
And that was his mistake because the flattening of the seams was done to make the game more complete as to small and long ball. It was not introduced to bring back the days of Gorilla Ball.

Last edited:
And that was his mistake because the flattening of the seams was more to make the game more complete as to small and long ball. It was not introduced to bring back the days of Gorilla Ball.
Agreed. Hopefully there will be no more tinkering with balls and bats by the NCAA for a while. We need a long period of time to see what direction the game goes and the strategies within without interference.

If it gets real bad -- and I hoped we wouldn't have to do this -- but maybe we could ask Tanner to break back out the bat warmers

2 through 7 in the lineup last night, 4 seniors and 2 juniors, had 1 hit
But everyone wants to blame the Freshman pitchers for the loss. Hell, they only gave up 4 runs even when they had a couple of mental mistakes. With this lineup, we should have pounded out 12-15 runs against Citadel.

If we could find the type of pitchers that Tanner had during the B2B championships, we wouldn't be having this conversation. That was a once in a lifetime pitching staff and me thinks Tanner knew it. You might say Ray had the best pitching and the warmest bats around.

Last edited:
Late in the game I would have expected a bunt. At least by the next batter.

Just saw an intramural kid hit a jack that left the Blatt field and made the catwalk going out to Bates. Want me to approach?

CybercockWell-Known Member
NewSpeaking of scholarship rules, why is it that baseball has around 11 scholarships when there are nine players on the field yet football has 85 scholarship when there are basically 23 positions?
I'm not advocating necessarily for more scholarships for baseball as much as I'm advocating for a reduction in football

Are you insane? You can’t play major college football with less than 85 scholarships? I think it should go back to 95. With all the injuries in the sport, the “product” would be seriously diminished with less than 85.

Reactions: PokerCock
At some point you have to bench the guys not hitting. At least for a weekend series. If the replacement does better, leave him in. If he doesn't, then at least when the other guy comes back in he will have a fire lit under him.

We may need to face the fact that Holbrook wasn't a great recruiter, so we have less than average players. Talent can be fickle. Baseball is the most humbling sport. One day you look great - Sat. vs Florida, then within three days you lose to an "inferior team".

One thing the NC teams had was the will to win. Win anyway was the mantra and the team was cocky about it. It also helped to have Jackie, Michael Roth, Christian, etc. as those are MLB talents. When Roth took the mound, the team won. Period. Runner on 2nd in a close game in the late innings and we found a way to get him in. Price would shut the door after the 8th inning. I could go on but i think everyone gets my point.

Something is missing with the baseball program... the swag, the smart base running, ability to bunt, ability to hit a 3 run bomb. I haven't seen it with USC baseball in 5 years.
what we need is a spirit stick or a fish....yea, that's what we need....

Reactions: coolcock2001
He hired a guy that ran the program into the ground and then had to fire him. Okay, fantastic.
It was pretty fantastic to me. I didn't even get what we are talking about right now with a first year coach half way through a season already hearing whining. What exactly did everybody expect at this juncture the Yankees? Holbrook couldn't motivate his teams I think this coach can but some "fans" ain't happy unless they're unhappy about something. Relax, Chad's gone and it will turn around.

It was pretty fantastic to me. I didn't even get what we are talking about right now with a first year coach half way through a season already hearing whining. What exactly did everybody expect at this juncture the Yankees? Holbrook couldn't motivate his teams I think this coach can but some "fans" ain't happy unless they're unhappy about something. Relax, Chad's gone and it will turn around.
I don't know if I feel better because of this post,or because it's Friday, but I know I feel better. Thanks!

The voice of reason. Unfortunately, it will fall on deaf ears.

You implied Tanner was in no way responsible for Holbrook. He was. That's all I was saying.

You implied Tanner was in no way responsible for Holbrook. He was. That's all I was saying.
Of course he was responsible he hired him but he gave Chad enough time to poop or get off the pot. Chad wasn't ready for prime time and Ray gave him the left foot of fellowship just like he will do this time if things don't get better in time.

Reactions: jbouton
Of course he was responsible he hired him but he gave Chad enough time to poop or get off the pot. Chad wasn't ready for prime time and Ray gave him the left foot of fellowship just like he will do this time if things don't get better in time.

Eventually, even the best boots wear out.:D

I guess we got what we wanted getting Chad out of town. Full disclosure: I was the ring leader of the FireHolbrook Mafia.

Now that we have lost games to 4 in-state schools, is it safe to say we are the worst team in SC? This team has no swagger and frankly, has a nonexistent baseball IQ. Situational hitting is abysmal. If we don't hit homers, we don't win games. Is this Kingston's offensive philosophy? Swing for the fences in every plate appearance?

The fact that it was 3-3 in the B8, no outs, and a man on 3rd, and we don't score is inexcusable.

Our RPI is now 141 and we're off to the worst start since 1996. Hard to think this team is just that devoid of talent.

It's going to be hard to watch CofC come to Columbia and beat us with Chad in the dugout. They are 15-6 with a sweep against UGA and a series win @ K-State. RPI is also at 41.

Absolutely sickening where this program is right now.
Time to pony up and go get the guy who wanted to be here all along.....Monte Lee. And yes folks, money does talk and guess what.....we got SEC money and they don’t

I guess we got what we wanted getting Chad out of town. Full disclosure: I was the ring leader of the FireHolbrook Mafia.

Now that we have lost games to 4 in-state schools, is it safe to say we are the worst team in SC? This team has no swagger and frankly, has a nonexistent baseball IQ. Situational hitting is abysmal. If we don't hit homers, we don't win games. Is this Kingston's offensive philosophy? Swing for the fences in every plate appearance?

The fact that it was 3-3 in the B8, no outs, and a man on 3rd, and we don't score is inexcusable.

Our RPI is now 141 and we're off to the worst start since 1996. Hard to think this team is just that devoid of talent.

It's going to be hard to watch CofC come to Columbia and beat us with Chad in the dugout. They are 15-6 with a sweep against UGA and a series win @ K-State. RPI is also at 41.

Absolutely sickening where this program is right now.
Time to pony up and go get the guy who wanted to be here all along.....Monte Lee. And yes folks, money does talk and guess what.....we got SEC money and they don’t

Have you seen what they're paying Dabo? Have you seen their football complex?

Have you seen Newspring?
Then it’s how we choose to use our $$ cause we got more for sure. RT May need to take some financial classes and get off his tight ass. No reason they should out-pay or out-play us in anything.

We need to demand that Ray take off his suit and put the old #1 back on and get his rearend back in the dugout. This experiment needs to end.

UTurn.jpg

We need to demand that Ray take off his suit and put the old #1 back on and get his rearend back in the dugout. This experiment needs to end.
He doesn't want to coach anymore. He made that clear.

How long is Hill out? We're not going to have a chance in many weekend series without him in the rotation...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT