ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball recruiting notebook: offers, more on a few visitors this week

C

Collyn Taylor

--We reported it earlier this week but the Gamecocks hosted 2020 small forward Silas Mason. Mason's a 6-foot-7 player out of Ben L. Smith High School (Greensboro, N.C.). He played in Tuesday's Phenom Hoops Summer Jam before going over to Colonial Life Arena in the afternoon to meet the staff.

“I’m just excited to meet the staff and see if I’m comfortable around the coaching staff and facilities,” he said.

Mason, who describes himself as a point forward, has offers from Texas, Old Dominion, South Florida, Florida, Oklahoma State, Houston, DePaul, UNC Charlotte, ECU and Hampton.

“I can create for others and I can dribble the ball pretty well for my size," he said.

--The Gamecocks have one scholarship left in the 2018 class and the staff is actively trying to fill it. The primary target has been AJ Lawson, the Canadian national who's wrapping up some final visits before making a decision. According to ZagsBlog, Chuck Martin was on-hand to watch him play for Team Canada in a FIBA Tournament. Lawson, who's already taken a visit to South Carolina, is scheduled to visit Oregon, Creighton, Tulane and SMU.

--South Carolina's hosting a team camp Friday with a few big players in attendance. Commit and 2019 guard Trae Hannibal is there with his Hartsville team and a big-time 2021 forward Cesar Edwards. I've seen Edwards play and he has crazy athleticism and can shoot the ball for a 6-foot-8 rising sophomore (and he was able to dunk when he was in the 8th grade). College of Charleston has already shown some interest in him.

Hannibal was really complimentary of Edwards recently in an interview, saying: "We knew he was going to be special.”

--Also on campus today is Dorman, which is home to two of the top players in the 2020 class, Myles Tate and P.J. Hall. Tate has been on the USC staff's radar for a while and Hall recently picked up an offer on an unofficial visit to South Carolina this week. I'm still working to get up with Hall to talk about the offer, so there will be a story coming soon on him.

Hall is already 6-foot-8 as a rising junior and would be a big get if he were to commit to USC.

--The annual SC ProAm has official dates now. The event will be held at Heathwood Hall July 22, 25, 28 and 29 and will feature a lot of Gamecocks as it usually does. A lot of the returners and the new signees will participate, barring any injuries.

I know Keyshawn Bryant and Jermaine Couisnard are both on campus right now and TJ Moss should be as well. His dad told me Moss would be coming in for the Summer I session which started in June.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News