ADVERTISEMENT

BBQ FOLKS!

Home Team BBQ in Five Points will be opening on Monday. Who plans to get a few painkillers and smoked wings on this momentous day?

I'm a prophet!

Go Cocks!
New building or are they taking over where
Home Team BBQ in Five Points will be opening on Monday. Who plans to get a few painkillers and smoked wings on this momentous day?

I'm a prophet!

Go Cocks!
new building or are they taking over an empty space?

Good luck to those guys, but I'll stick with the good people over at Cannon's BBQ for the best BBQ experience in the Midlands.

Can't wait to try it! Every single pic they post on their social media looks so good

I've been to the one in downtown Chucktown. The food is good but definitely overpriced. SC is a BBQ state and there is much better to be had here.

Laughing at the folks who say the food is overpriced. Sure there are better BBQ joints out there, but this isn't your "run to the mill" BBQ buffet. Hometeam would be foolish to charge $7 for a BBQ plate.

The Midwood Smokehouse recipe sure has worked out on Garners Ferry and if you think that business model is successful, wait until you see how packed Hometeam will be in 5 Points.

Laughing at the folks who say the food is overpriced. Sure there are better BBQ joints out there, but this isn't your "run to the mill" BBQ buffet. Hometeam would be foolish to charge $7 for a BBQ plate.

The Midwood Smokehouse recipe sure has worked out on Garners Ferry and if you think that business model is successful, wait until you see how packed Hometeam will be in 5 Points.
Meh, enjoy your chain bbq restaurant.

Reactions: ruffledfeathers
By your logic, Lewis and Rodney Scott's are chains too. Still some of the best BBQ in SC.

True BBQ is the best BBQ in the 803. Dont @ me.
I wasnt aware either of those places operated in Aspen, CO.? Anywho, have you or are you even aware of the SC BBQ Trail? Perhaps you should explore it so you can refine your simple pallette.

Reactions: A_F_Deerhunter
I have not. Our son graduated the Citadel 2 years ago so we don't go down as much as we have in the past.
It's a different style of BBQ place than I've ever been to...I think a lot of places down in Texas do it their way. Anyway, I went there like 2 years ago and now I've noticed these fancy BBQ places popping up all over in trendy cities. The hipster folk like them. It's different than a SC BBQ buffet but does have some good food. And Lewis in Charleston is known nationwide as like the best of the bunch. You don't have a plate, just a metal tray with butcher paper on it in front of you that they slap the meat on

12027109_437346863119696_1485073558481685729_o.jpg

lewisbbq_platter.0.jpg

I wasnt aware either of those places operated in Aspen, CO.? Anywho, have you or are you even aware of the SC BBQ Trail? Perhaps you should explore it so you can refine your simple pallette.

If having a location in Aspen makes Hometeam a chain, then having a location in Charleston makes Rodney Scott's a chain. That's all I'm saying. I love some good Q, but must not be the BBQ snob that you are. Sounds like you could just live in Pickens County and be butt hurt about Columbia getting another attractive eatery.

If memory serves, Aaron opened a place in Aspen because he has family out there. HomeTeam is not a "chain" BBQ place by any means.

If having a location in Aspen makes Hometeam a chain, then having a location in Charleston makes Rodney Scott's a chain. That's all I'm saying. I love some good Q, but must not be the BBQ snob that you are. Sounds like you could just live in Pickens County and be butt hurt about Columbia getting another attractive eatery.
Lived on Lake Wateree for most of my youth and worked in Cola for years. Try again. My point here is that this state, above all, wrote the book on BBQ. Home Team is a portion size restaurant. I've already said their food is good but the price is what it is due to the portion size. If you are a porker and need a "tray of food" to justify what is and what is not good bbq, then you have already disqualified your opinion on the matter. Have you ever been to a competition cook? I'll bet not. I probably have wood cooked more whole hogs than years you have been alive.

Reactions: jroller
If memory serves, Aaron opened a place in Aspen because he has family out there. HomeTeam is not a "chain" BBQ place by any means.
He did it because their is a shit load of money in Aspen. He is not a stupid man. However, hide and watch how many more pop up. Franchising is next and with it will go the precious quality.

Lived on Lake Wateree for most of my youth and worked in Cola for years. Try again. My point here is that this state, above all, wrote the book on BBQ. Home Team is a portion size restaurant. I've already said their food is good but the price is what it is due to the portion size. If you are a porker and need a "tray of food" to justify what is and what is not good bbq, then you have already disqualified your opinion on the matter. Have you ever been to a competition cook? I'll bet not. I probably have wood cooked more whole hogs than years you have been alive.

Nah, I’m hardly on the BBQ circuit but I do enjoy firing up the smoker:

Reactions: jackrabbit slim
BBQ snobs are the worst kind of snobs. As far as prices go, sure some places charge more $ for environment and other things. But the reality is, good BBQ with good rub, good injection, and quality time will cost a little more than the place that grabs a few shoulders, throws on out, removes, chops, and lets you sauce yourself. Heck, the good high $ BBQ doesn’t need sauce.

But I like them all. But it’s funny people will pay $20 - $30 for a good steak, but refuse to pay $10 - $15 for really good BBQ.

I can’t speak into whether or not this particular joint is worth the $. And it should be held to a higher standard if it is that much more expensive.

I just love BBQ...cheap or expensive. But you have to adjust expectations accordingly.

BBQ snobs are the worst kind of snobs. As far as prices go, sure some places charge more $ for environment and other things. But the reality is, good BBQ with good rub, good injection, and quality time will cost a little more than the place that grabs a few shoulders, throws on out, removes, chops, and lets you sauce yourself. Heck, the good high $ BBQ doesn’t need sauce.

But I like them all. But it’s funny people will pay $20 - $30 for a good steak, but refuse to pay $10 - $15 for really good BBQ.

I can’t speak into whether or not this particular joint is worth the $. And it should be held to a higher standard if it is that much more expensive.

I just love BBQ...cheap or expensive. But you have to adjust expectations accordingly.
Meh, you're not a snob if you know what you're talking about. Many people have hobbies, mine is bbq.

I love you guys and gals. Nothing like a good BBQ dialogue amongst friends. I might be an old timer with a weak liver, but yall better believe I'll be there Monday night throwing back painkillers. My grandson will be sober enough to drive the Buick back to Cheraw.
My mom's side is from Cheraw and my dad's people are from Bennettsville. Good people that way.

Meh, you're not a snob if you know what you're talking about. Many people have hobbies, mine is bbq.

Mine too. I know what I’m talking about when it come to BBQ. But everyone has preferences in style. You can make the best BBQ in the world and someone will want sweet, or doused in sauce. Or the other way around. Not to mention, you get BBQ from a world-class pittmaster, you better be ready to shell out some $. As mentioned, I can’t speak to the restaurant in the discussion. But if people like it, there must be something to it. Is there better, there will always be better. It’s BBQ. Possibly the most divisive food in the world.

Nothing worse than being around people from Texas, KC, or Memphis. So many styles but they’ll argue until they are blue in the face about who has the best BBQ. Of course true BBQ began right here with the colonist, but I can appreciate them all.

Last edited:
Whatcha cooking on slim?
Hopefully a lot as the summer goes, lol. We have four catering events lined up this summer and our BBQ hash took off and I can't keep it at $8 a quart. I could get more but hell, I move more than I can handle right where I'm at. Doing shoulders/ whole hog mostly. In the fall, we are going to try and cook a yearling Angus in the ground with sawdust and river stone. Gonna be a blast.

Good luck to those guys, but I'll stick with the good people over at Cannon's BBQ for the best BBQ experience in the Midlands.

Great stuff, though I am not a fan of the strong mustard flavor in their sauce. A lot like Jackie Hite's used to be. (Another awesome place, unfortunately now closed)

By your logic, Lewis and Rodney Scott's are chains too. Still some of the best BBQ in SC.

True BBQ is the best BBQ in the 803. Dont @ me.

Not sure how you get Lewis's to be a chain (by his logic) since there is only one. I can see where you are going with Scott's in Hemingway and Rodney's in Charleston, but those are not related businesses, despite the obvious connection. Rodney left Hemingway to do his own thing.

True BBQ has the best hash I have (yet) tasted, but not a big fan of the BBQ itself. Not bad, just not great.

The Aspen thing is because he used to work there before returning (I think) to Charleston. I think of it as less than a chain and more of a place with several locations...one just happens to be in Aspen, but I will accede that we could be splitting hairs over the argument.

It's a different style of BBQ place than I've ever been to...I think a lot of places down in Texas do it their way. Anyway, I went there like 2 years ago and now I've noticed these fancy BBQ places popping up all over in trendy cities. The hipster folk like them. It's different than a SC BBQ buffet but does have some good food. And Lewis in Charleston is known nationwide as like the best of the bunch. You don't have a plate, just a metal tray with butcher paper on it in front of you that they slap the meat on

12027109_437346863119696_1485073558481685729_o.jpg

lewisbbq_platter.0.jpg

Definitely a different experience than what we were used to in SC before Lewis opened shop. Was, in fact, the subject of a post I wrote after attending the soft opening:

https://destination-bbq.com/lewis-barbecue-texas-bbq-experience-in-sc/

I know Aaron Siegel used to work out there, in fine dining, I believe, and I have read he traveled back there often. Not sure if there is a family connection as he grew up in GA. Maybe it was a good excuse to get a write-off for traveling to a favorite place.

My mom's side is from Cheraw and my dad's people are from Bennettsville. Good people that way.

I grew up in Cheraw myself. Cheers to the fellow Braves in the crowd.

Some good info here.....

https://destination-bbq.com/

I've DLed the BBQ Trail Map and have started riding to some on Fridays......been to about 40 restaurants so far....Scotts is hard to beat

Thanks for the shout-out! Hope the site has been helpful, and I am always eager to hear constructive criticism, so feel free to share or email me (jim@destination-bbq.com).

Destination-bbq.com is just a hobby site that I try to keep up with in my spare time. While I have a habit of saying "we" when I talk about it, there is no "we" in the business sense. There is no other "employee" but me though my wife and youngest kid make regular commentary in the reviews.

Hopefully a lot as the summer goes, lol. We have four catering events lined up this summer and our BBQ hash took off and I can't keep it at $8 a quart. I could get more but hell, I move more than I can handle right where I'm at. Doing shoulders/ whole hog mostly. In the fall, we are going to try and cook a yearling Angus in the ground with sawdust and river stone. Gonna be a blast.
Careful Slim, some of those Texans you cut to pieces awhile back for bragging about beef might get word you are now cooking with beef. Laughing

Reactions: jackrabbit slim
Great stuff, though I am not a fan of the strong mustard flavor in their sauce. A lot like Jackie Hite's used to be. (Another awesome place, unfortunately now closed)

Not sure how you get Lewis's to be a chain (by his logic) since there is only one. I can see where you are going with Scott's in Hemingway and Rodney's in Charleston, but those are not related businesses, despite the obvious connection. Rodney left Hemingway to do his own thing.

True BBQ has the best hash I have (yet) tasted, but not a big fan of the BBQ itself. Not bad, just not great.

The Aspen thing is because he used to work there before returning (I think) to Charleston. I think of it as less than a chain and more of a place with several locations...one just happens to be in Aspen, but I will accede that we could be splitting hairs over the argument.

Definitely a different experience than what we were used to in SC before Lewis opened shop. Was, in fact, the subject of a post I wrote after attending the soft opening:

https://destination-bbq.com/lewis-barbecue-texas-bbq-experience-in-sc/

I know Aaron Siegel used to work out there, in fine dining, I believe, and I have read he traveled back there often. Not sure if there is a family connection as he grew up in GA. Maybe it was a good excuse to get a write-off for traveling to a favorite place.

I grew up in Cheraw myself. Cheers to the fellow Braves in the crowd.

Thanks for the shout-out! Hope the site has been helpful, and I am always eager to hear constructive criticism, so feel free to share or email me (jim@destination-bbq.com).

Destination-bbq.com is just a hobby site that I try to keep up with in my spare time. While I have a habit of saying "we" when I talk about it, there is no "we" in the business sense. There is no other "employee" but me though my wife and youngest kid make regular commentary in the reviews.
Goodness, gracious, a Roller from Cheraw? Who would of thunk it? :D

A Marlboro native and met a many a Roller.

Slim, you and the wifey making it out to Idaho for the wedding? I'm planning on making it there.

Simpsonville/ Fountain Inn just got a new BBQ joint, Bobby’s BBQ. The pulled pork is in my top 3. They also sell brisket which is only topped by Smokey Dreams on Woodruff Rd in Greenville.

Goodness, gracious, a Roller from Cheraw? Who would of thunk it? :D

A Marlboro native and met a many a Roller.

Ironically, other than my immediate (and close, extended family) I have never met another Roller.

My dad is from the Shenandoah Valley area of VA and moved to Camden in the early '40s, where he met and eventually married my mom. My grandparents all lived on the same street until they passed.

After college (he pitched at Clemson in the late 50s early 60s), they moved to Cheraw in the mid-60s, I guess. I was born in '66 and spent my whole time in Cheraw, until going to CofC, not knowing a single Roller, but I became aware there were Rollers in or around Wallace.

Funny that we were so close, with such an uncommon last name, and were complete strangers.

Simpsonville/ Fountain Inn just got a new BBQ joint, Bobby’s BBQ. The pulled pork is in my top 3. They also sell brisket which is only topped by Smokey Dreams on Woodruff Rd in Greenville.

Been hearing great things about Bobby's. Tay Nelson and his wife Sarah opened it. It is named after his father.

Reactions: cadcock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT