ADVERTISEMENT

BBQ & hash recommendation, please

PerchedOnRings

Oct 1, 2001
I'm bringing the kids in from Hiawassee thru Anderson on Saturday to see the old home place en route to Sumter via Saluda & Lexington. I'd like to grab some BBQ & hash without detouring too far. I was just going to stop at Hite's, but their page says they are closed until July 21st. Then I thought about taking 178 and stopping at Shealy's, but they are closed until 7/20! I haven't been in that part of the State for many moons. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

I'm bringing the kids in from Hiawassee thru Anderson on Saturday to see the old home place en route to Sumter via Saluda & Lexington. I'd like to grab some BBQ & hash without detouring too far. I was just going to stop at Hite's, but their page says they are closed until July 21st. Then I thought about taking 178 and stopping at Shealy's, but they are closed until 7/20! I haven't been in that part of the State for many moons. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.
wise's n kinards?

Reactions: rogue cock
Shealys hash resembles a hairmat out of a clogged drain.. I cant give you any good recommendations around that area.. nearest decent hash is carolina bbq like 50mi away..

Reactions: Cocky kebo57
You would need to trust me on this one....but a fairly new place. I love the hash and the que is outstanding.
Big Boys Original Smokehouse 8604 Farrow Rd Ste A, Columbia, SC 29203-9119 This is in the area where you would be just off of I-20 about a mile....you can thank me later.

You're in luck. Hite's BBQ is right in your path in West Columbia and is open only on Friday and Saturday. http://www.hitesbbq.com/ They used to do only my favorite SC mustard based but are now doing the red stuff as well.

Oops, just saw the note that they are closed for vacation after today until July 21. Cantankerous bunch as always but they do the best BBQ so we have favored their cooking since there was only a big pit about 50 years ago.

Last edited:
You're in luck. Hite's BBQ is right in your path in West Columbia and is open only on Friday and Saturday. http://www.hitesbbq.com/ They used to do only my favorite SC mustard based but are now doing the red stuff as well.

Oops, just saw the note that they are closed for vacation after today until July 21. Cantankerous bunch as always but they do the best BBQ so we have favored their cooking since there was only a big pit about 50 years ago.

Per Sandlapper's note, you should probably call ahead or check websites before making your decision. Many of the traditional family bbq joints close and take time off after the July 4th holiday.

Reactions: Lakecock1
It depends on WHEN you are coming through the area but Greenwood is holding their BBQ festival this weekend. This is a KC BBQ certified event & they will have almost 90 BBQ teams there. Usually has some some pretty good Q there. Here is a link. http://www.uptowngreenwood.com/events/sc-festival-of-discovery/teams/who-s-cooking. The last several Grand Champions have been from Georgia , Oklahoma , Florida, NC, etc. so some good stuff there. Good Luck ! LP

If you are familiar with the Sumter area... you probably already know about Browns' barbq in Kingstree a little southeast of Sumter.

Brown's Barbq... best vinegar based in the south

With the route you are taking, it looks like you could stop by Shealys as well. I can name a dozen other better pure barbq options... but Shealys overall is an experience. Amazing buffet... tell the kitchen this is your first time there and they will give you some pullybones. Best piece of fried chicken you will ever eat. Amazing veggies and pretty good hash.

If you are going down for the day.. and starting to head back in the afternoon... you can eat at Shealeys and take a break at the Big Mo drive in movie theatre before you finish the rest of your trip.

Shealys hash resembles a hairmat out of a clogged drain.. I cant give you any good recommendations around that area.. nearest decent hash is carolina bbq like 50mi away..
It's not that bad. What consistence do you actually want? Something that resembles the NC Brunswick stew ****?

If you are familiar with the Sumter area... you probably already know about Browns' barbq in Kingstree a little southeast of Sumter.

Brown's Barbq... best vinegar based in the south
This.

OP if your final destination is Sumter, you will be 10-20min away from 3 of the best in SC, Browns, Schoolhouse and Fatbacks.

**Be careful with anything red at fatbacks. It will light yo ace on fiya.

Thanks for responses!

Shealy's-closed until 7/21
Big Boy's - Not sure I'll go by Farrow, but will keep it in mind
Ward's - A mile from Mama's. Plan to get some there regardless
True - Sounds like a good idea on way in!
Brown's - Hitting it on way to Beach
Scotts - Hitting on way back to Sumter
Wise's - May hit it on way back north
Schoolhouse & Fatback's - Will have to research. Not sure exactly where they are yet.

We plan to get our fill while home. In KY it's all mutton & burgoo.

mutton.... put vinegar on it:)

last trip KY found out r favorite tailgate q had closed:-( ......found a place called 'red, white & blue' ....upon enterin' saw the choice's,........ imagine r delight.....vinegar! asked 4 the owner & when I asked him how did a lex boy know about vinegar base????........"my mama is from eastern nc".....nuff said.

Reactions: Anna_Nimmitty
It's not that bad. What consistence do you actually want? Something that resembles the NC Brunswick stew ****?
NC Brunswick stew??
No, but I am NOT a fan of Shealys.. you can have it..

rfl_13701.jpg

groce....

Im just not a fan, go be mad about it somewhere else..
My favorite hash happens to be in Augusta/Martinez, GA.. at Edmunds.. his BBQ isnt worth a flip, but has my favorite hash..Carolina BBQ in New Ellenton, SC is a distant 2nd..

Cleve-sides.jpg

mutton.... put vinegar on it:)

last trip KY found out r favorite tailgate q had closed:-( ......found a place called 'red, white & blue' ....upon enterin' saw the choice's,........ imagine r delight.....vinegar! asked 4 the owner & when I asked him how did a lex boy know about vinegar base????........"my mama is from eastern nc".....nuff said.
Funny you say that. KY sauce is typically Worcestershire-based. I was at a club barbecue a few weeks ago where they were serving the typical KY stuff (mutton mopped w/the usual sauce). I went out back where the cooks were. I told them where I was from. They revealed to me and me alone that they had their own piece of pork on the cooker with some vinegar-based sauce they had whipped up and told me "shhhhhh". :)

NC Brunswick stew??

rfl_13701.jpg

groce....

My favorite hash happens to be in Augusta/Martinez, GA.. at Edmunds.. his BBQ isnt worth a flip, but has my favorite hash..Carolina BBQ in New Ellenton, SC is a distant 2nd..

Cleve-sides.jpg
shock, what is that green color? hash oughta look like pork..... throw n onions, little potato & secret ingredients' .......but ez on the secret stuff, that's what got ray sent up the river:-(

Funny you say that. KY sauce is typically Worcestershire-based. I was at a club barbecue a few weeks ago where they were serving the typical KY stuff (mutton mopped w/the usual sauce). I went out back where the cooks were. I told them where I was from. They revealed to me and me alone that they had their own piece of pork on the cooker with some vinegar-based sauce they had whipped up and told me "shhhhhh". :)

when u think about the history of q, crossin' over the appalachian', etc... it is kinda funny how it has become bastardized w/ all this ketchup & mustard.

Reactions: Anna_Nimmitty
NC Brunswick stew??

rfl_13701.jpg

groce....

Cleve-sides.jpg
Come on... Anyone can try to go out and find a bad picture of anyone/anything to prove a point.
Here's some better pictures of Shealys hash
20101008-shealys-bar-b-que-hash-batesburg-leeville-sc.jpg
shealy-s-bar-b-que-house.jpg

Edmunds?
This picture looks NOTHING like what you posted above.
1493-c-01.jpg

There's no hash in Clempson? I haven't found any hash north of Columbia any good. It completely disappears when you cross into North Carolina.

I wouldnt know.. I live in Kershaw county..

Read my user name out loud, preferably not at work or around kids.lol

There's no hash in Clempson? I haven't found any hash north of Columbia any good. It completely disappears when you cross into North Carolina.
have to go to nc coast......true story, on a trip up to play the pirates didn't see hash on the menu asked the young waiter for hash & he looked @ me & said, "no sir, we only sell bbq!"......I was convinced he thought I was asking for something to smoke......older cook n back overheard & explained to kid what hash was.

Reactions: vehemon
Maybe I'm crazy, but the Shealy's hash looks much better to me than the redder stuff.

Reactions: DC-99
I'm going to tell you about a place that not many people know about and it's awesome! If you ever go through Santee, go to Lonestar Mercentile BBQ. Not only is it BBQ but it's country food like your grandma used to fix and it's in 3 very old buildings. Plenty of history to look at inside the buildings too. Their BBQ is very similar to Sweatmans.

Reactions: Lakecock1
Shulers in Latta is really good. Their pulled pork is killer good, with or without the spicy pepper vinegar sauce. My wife is from that area, and she always brings a bunch home with her when she visits the in-laws. It freezes very well.

have to go to nc coast......true story, on a trip up to play the pirates didn't see hash on the menu asked the young waiter for hash & he looked @ me & said, "no sir, we only sell bbq!"......I was convinced he thought I was asking for something to smoke......older cook n back overheard & explained to kid what hash was.
Hah, I would have loved to see the look at that kids face. If I mention hash in Charlotte everyone gets a perplexed look.

Reactions: 76gintcock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT