ADVERTISEMENT

BBQ & hash recommendation, please

I'm shocked by how many people from around Charlotte have never had a boiled peanut.
People cringe when they see me eating them. They do have a chicken finger restaurant on Providence that serves boiled peanuts (Hubby Ds). I don't think I've ever seen anyone order them though.

My peanut guy in Rock Hill has disappeared so I gotta find somewhere else to buy them.

People cringe when they see me eating them. They do have a chicken finger restaurant on Providence that serves boiled peanuts (Hubby Ds). I don't think I've ever seen anyone order them though.

My peanut guy in Rock Hill has disappeared so I gotta find somewhere else to buy them.
Good luck. I think a place just opened on Morehead which has them, too. Haberdish in NoDa where I live has smoked boiled peanuts. They are good as is pretty much everything else on the menu.

Another thing I've noticed about Charlotte is that nobody eats raw fries with chicken wings. It's the damnedest thing. I need a basket of malt vinegar drenched raw fries with my wings. I don't eat wings a lot, so I've probably overlooked a lot of places.

Good luck. I think a place just opened on Morehead which has them, too. Haberdish in NoDa where I live has smoked boiled peanuts. They are good as is pretty much everything else on the menu.

Another thing I've noticed about Charlotte is that nobody eats raw fries with chicken wings. It's the damnedest thing. I need a basket of malt vinegar drenched raw fries with my wings. I don't eat wings a lot, so I've probably overlooked a lot of places.
Haven't tried Haberdish. I love the Crepe Cellar next to it though. Will have to put it on the list.

Thanks for responses!

Shealy's-closed until 7/21
Big Boy's - Not sure I'll go by Farrow, but will keep it in mind
Ward's - A mile from Mama's. Plan to get some there regardless
True - Sounds like a good idea on way in!
Brown's - Hitting it on way to Beach
Scotts - Hitting on way back to Sumter
Wise's - May hit it on way back north
Schoolhouse & Fatback's - Will have to research. Not sure exactly where they are yet.

We plan to get our fill while home. In KY it's all mutton & burgoo.
Browns and Scotts are the best bbq joints in the world as far as I'm concerned. Especially since Country Cousins closed. Jackie Hites in Batesburg is not far behind. Not to be confused with Hites in West Cola. Schoolhouse and Fatbacks are fairly close to 378, if you are headed that way to the beach. Schoolhouse is historic, might be a nice stop for the kids. Fatbacks is more of a "I finished it" kind of place. Their hash is hot and their bbq is hot. Very hot, and thats coming from a guy who loves hot and spicy foods.

Edit: I was told country cousins had closed down. But the intranet seems to believe they are still open, in Olanta, SC. Anyone know if its the same owner as the one that burnt down years ago?

Last edited:
Browns and Scotts are the best bbq joints in the world as far as I'm concerned. Especially since Country Cousins closed. Jackie Hites in Batesburg is not far behind. Not to be confused with Hites in West Cola. Schoolhouse and Fatbacks are fairly close to 378, if you are headed that way to the beach. Schoolhouse is historic, might be a nice stop for the kids. Fatbacks is more of a "I finished it" kind of place. Their hash is hot and their bbq is hot. Very hot, and thats coming from a guy who loves hot and spicy foods.

Edit: I was told country cousins had closed down. But the intranet seems to believe they are still open, in Olanta, SC. Anyone know if its the same owner as the one that burnt down years ago?
Little Pig is my default for vinegar based in Columbia. Anywhere else in Columbia better than Little Pig?

Boiled p-nuts? Boil your own ... 90 minutes then turn off the heat and let them soak in the water 'til they sink. one half cup of salt per pot.

Reactions: DC-99
I don't know why but almost every article I read about different BBQ across the US has SC as mustard based.

"When you cross the border to South Carolina, pig still reigns supreme, but it’s doused in a strong, thick, mustard-based sauce that often includes brown sugar and vinegar."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thrillist.com/amphtml/eat/nation/americas-regional-barbecue-styles
I agree, and don't know why. I would say there is as much Tomato base in SC as there is Mustard base, maybe more.

A couple years ago a friend and I went to Shealy's and took the all you can eat sign as a personal challenge.

We ate so much that I waddled out and literally did not eat anything else for 24 hours.

Little pig is good, but dang is it crowded all the time. That's a good thing and a bad thing.
It is indeed crowded, but except for holidays I usually find a seat right away. On holidays I usually get take out.

Oh, and for those of us over 55 ask for a senior discount.

Last edited:
QUOTE="85alum#, post: 3399013, member: 2328"]I agree, and don't know why. I would say there is as much Tomato base in SC as there is Mustard base, maybe more.[/QUOTE]
Florence County has a very good vinegar and hot pepper sauce.

For hash True BBQ in Triangle City ( W.Cola. ) stands alone.

Their pulled pork is pretty good but the hash is at a whole different level.

I also highly recommend liver hash with red gravy. Never seen it outside the Florence area.

Country Cousins in the tiny Town of Olanta is worth a visit. The buffet is simple, but the hash , BBQ and red gravy are pretty darn hard to beat. Everything is very good but the hash is as good as any I've ever had. It's definetly worth checking out.

I think Fat Backs in Scranton is closed by the way.

Last edited:
For hash True BBQ in Triangle City ( W.Cola. ) stands alone.

Their pulled pork is pretty good but the hash is at a whole different level.

I also highly recommend liver hash with red gravy. Never seen it outside the Florence area.

I want to thank everyone who recommended True BBQ! I had never heard of it and work down in the Vista now so it was just across the bridge- I honestly am not normally a huge fan of hash but the talk is true! Theirs is the best I have ever had! I WILL be going back with friends!

Apparently there's this red stuff called hash. It's not hash. I don't know what it is but it's not like any hash I've ever tried. Must be a lowcountry thing.

True BBQ is hands down the best hash and rice in Cola area. Everything is delicious but the hash and rice will change your life.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT