ADVERTISEMENT

Beamer’s Staff of No Names

JamesRob

May 31, 2012
Beamer’s first staff is boom or bust IMO. I don’t see much middle ground. That being said, I am glad to hear Beamer talked to Rhule several times about how to put a staff together.

Clearly this is the opposite path of Muschamp’s staff of SEC made guys. I’m sure the salaries are significantly smaller than the previous staff as well.

I like the idea of having dudes with something to prove. However, we need to watch recruiting closely. Many of these coaches will have to build new relationships quickly.

It is evident that Beamer missed on several primary targets. Hopefully he learns quickly from the Bobo situation. It is now clear that Beamer was pushed in to retaining him.

Beamer’s first staff is boom or bust IMO. I don’t see much middle ground. That being said, I am glad to hear Beamer talked to Rhule several times about how to put a staff together.

Clearly this is the opposite path of Muschamp’s staff of SEC made guys. I’m sure the salaries are significantly smaller than the previous staff as well.

I like the idea of having dudes with something to prove. However, we need to watch recruiting closely. Many of these coaches will have to build new relationships quickly.

It is evident that Beamer missed on several primary targets. Hopefully he learns quickly from the Bobo situation. It is now clear that Beamer was pushed in to retaining him.
interesting profile picture.

“...evident Beamer missed on primary targets”. How so ?

For one, the time it took. Remember when Beamer was hired? He was acting like he was fielding calls by the minute from coaches at schools almost begging to come to USC. Now I feel pretty secure in the fact that he was heavily influenced to keep Bobo and some other coaches that were under contract for another year when he was hired. But the DC? Figure he got a list of no's from a variety of people. Not saying the guy eventually hired won't be fine. But Beamer needed a splash hire among the assistants, and that hasn't happened

For one, the time it took. Remember when Beamer was hired? He was acting like he was fielding calls by the minute from coaches at schools almost begging to come to USC. Now I feel pretty secure in the fact that he was heavily influenced to keep Bobo and some other coaches that were under contract for another year when he was hired. But the DC? Figure he got a list of no's from a variety of people. Not saying the guy eventually hired won't be fine. But Beamer needed a splash hire among the assistants, and that hasn't happened

Why did he need a splash hire?

I am pleased with the staff. Hopefully they all feel they have something to prove and it shows on the field.

This is typical when you have a new regime. You see an opposite approach of the prior leader. I just hope this isn’t too far the other way.

Meaning I think the sweet spot is a mix of experienced, made guys...and up and comers with something to prove.

If Beamer continues to listen/seek out Rhule, it will serve him well. Rhule is the rebuild king.

Of course. You had no freewill in the decision. I dig it. So you should also know that the staff was predestined to be what it is. You can't blame Beamer. ;)

How can we blame Muschamp...or anyone...for that matter...that things didn't work out any better than they did....nobody has any say so in what they do anyway.....or some such thing Augustine brought in from his Gnostic days

How can we blame Muschamp...or anyone...for that matter...that things didn't work out any better than they did....nobody has any say so in what they do anyway.....or some such thing Augustine brought in from his Gnostic days
For that matter, how can we even credit Saban, Jones, Smith and Harris for the game they played last night? It was always inevitable.

I greatly hope our new coaches all feel they have mountains to prove. Every other SEC staff (save one) operates like this...no matter how much success they have had. Saban was back to work last night on his own team finding out who was coming back for extra years, etc.
My worry is that guys from Baylor, Temple, etc aren't accustomed to that. SEC staffs are mentioned in this way because they know the requirements in order to stay employed down here. OUtwork, recruit , connect, scheme and charm your competitors. Hopefully they follow suit and bring that type energy to their respective positions.

I think we may be missing out on a key ingredient of Coach Beamer's coaching search. I've noticed that most of the new coaches are late 30's to mid 40's and that he's had some sort of connection (although some are peripheral) with all of them. Coaches that get along with each other during long staff hours and respect each other's opinions, while headed toward a definite common goal, have a much better chance of building (albeit slowly sometimes) and sustaining success in the long run. Don't think we're likely to see two defensive or offensive coaches throwing down on each other between the hedges in the next few years.

Yet many of the hires were never leaked until just before they were hired. I'll leave it at that....

Beamer is perfect, nailed every #1 target on his list. The next Saban, Lombardi, and Rockne all rolled in to one...does that meet your need for groupthink? Sunshine and rainbows all day baby.

Your posts are all the same, censor anyone with a thought that doesn’t feed your narrative.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Beamer is perfect, nailed every #1 target on his list. The next Saban, Lombardi, and Rockne all rolled in to one...does that meet your need for groupthink? Sunshine and rainbows all day baby.

Your posts are all the same, censor anyone with a thought that doesn’t feed your narrative.

Enjoy the same ole gloom and doom. You are stuck on an opinion not based on facts but on feelings. I am surprised you can type after all your back patting. BTW I learned a long time ago, being negative about things gets you nowhere, esp when you have no control of the thing.

But back to my point, tell me, who reported Satterfield was even an option before he was hired? No one. Just because some names where out there doesn't mean they were ever really an option....

Last edited:
I love keeping Dez on staff. I think Stepp and Gray teach their position extremely well and are both elite recruiters. I like the Lembo hire and that he should shore up our miserable ST. I don’t hate keeping Peterson I think he has done pretty good and I’m ok with the Kimrey hire I think over time he will develop into a a solid recruiter when he learns how to recruit. Now the rest are suspect at best and I don’t have a lot of confidence we will knock the OL coach out the park. I would give the staff as a whole about a solid B-.

I would rank our staff like this:

White- 3 times Broyles Award Finalist
Grey- Solid Rep all around
Kitchings- See above
Stepp - Good recruiter, been successful
Lembo- Veteran coach with HC experience
Satterfield- Wildcard, produced at a lower level
Rocker- Veteran, hoping he gets the recruiting fire back, Sanders made it sound like it is
Peterson- Still raw, high ceiling
Kimrey- unknown at this level at this point

The off field hires are going to be interesting IMO. Bentley could stay, Darrin Stewart? I expect a fair amount of alums in these spots.

I would rank our staff like this:

White- 3 times Broyles Award Finalist
Grey- Solid Rep all around
Kitchings- See above
Stepp - Good recruiter, been successful
Lembo- Veteran coach with HC experience
Satterfield- Wildcard, produced at a lower level
Rocker- Veteran, hoping he gets the recruiting fire back, Sanders made it sound like it is
Peterson- Still raw, high ceiling
Kimrey- unknown at this level at this point

The off field hires are going to be interesting IMO. Bentley could stay, Darrin Stewart? I expect a fair amount of alums in these spots.

I keep seeing people say that White was a 3 time Broyles Award finalist. Does anyone know what years? Because I see where he was a nominee but don't see where he was a finalist.

I don't know that.....and I'm not making light of the situation....but like 50-70 coaches are annually nominated. It's a nice honor for sure....but being the winner, a top 5 guy to winning and #58 every year is another thing when talking about how your peers feel about/rank/fear/steal from you as a coach.

I keep seeing people say that White was a 3 time Broyles Award finalist. Does anyone know what years? Because I see where he was a nominee but don't see where he was a finalist.

You are correct, I thought finalist. Still to be nominated is great, only 56 this year. After all there are abut 1200 assistant coaches in the FBS.

I hope he succeeds, I really do; however, this staff does not look like the staff he raved about being able to attract. The minute he retained Bobo, it hit me that this train was derailing. Beamer made a number of public statements about the type of staff he would hire. Now that the staff is complete, what was promised doesn't appear what has been delivered. I forgot which coach said it but he said they weren't a bunch of retreads. That statement sounded defensive to me. It may work out and I hope it does, but on paper underwhelming is an understatement.

In Beamer's defense, this coaching hire has highlighted to me that South Carolina may never be a consistent winner, no matter how much money we spend. Saban might not average 8 wins a year here.

This is typical when you have a new regime. You see an opposite approach of the prior leader. I just hope this isn’t too far the other way.

Meaning I think the sweet spot is a mix of experienced, made guys...and up and comers with something to prove.

If Beamer continues to listen/seek out Rhule, it will serve him well. Rhule is the rebuild king.
I agree. There is a good mix. Maybe Beamer missed out on a coach or two, or maybe after talking with them decided a different direction was needed. I wouldn’t be surprised to see some changes in the next year or two.

I hope he succeeds, I really do; however, this staff does not look like the staff he raved about being able to attract. The minute he retained Bobo, it hit me that this train was derailing. Beamer made a number of public statements about the type of staff he would hire. Now that the staff is complete, what was promised doesn't appear what has been delivered. I forgot which coach said it but he said they weren't a bunch of retreads. That statement sounded defensive to me. It may work out and I hope it does, but on paper underwhelming is an understatement.

In Beamer's defense, this coaching hire has highlighted to me that South Carolina may never be a consistent winner, no matter how much money we spend. Saban might not average 8 wins a year here.

The statement about retreads by Satterfield and the staff having JC Schburtt make a post about fans being negative just reeks of them being insecure.

Going to be a long few years if so.

Name the most successful asst. coach at South Carolina in yer lifetime

How many scholarships do we have vacant? I’m thinking at least 20. That’s sad. Why it hurts on losing Stockton is that’s about the time during his sophomore year we should see a turn around. This team will take at least three years to even be average.

How many scholarships do we have vacant? I’m thinking at least 20. That’s sad. Why it hurts on losing Stockton is that’s about the time during his sophomore year we should see a turn around. This team will take at least three years to even be average.

With the transfer portal and the early signing period making it hard on a new coach, it’s going to be so hard to build momentum.

Usually you can sell a new coach and build some initial enthusiasm. But our recruiting class this year will be atrocious. Then if we struggle on the field, what is Beamer going to sell to 2022 kids?

74 current players with the signings and transfers.

And as I have stated, pushing him in that direction should be a dismissable offense.

Exactly, and for those posters clamoring for Chadwell, who on that staff passes the “name” test?
Personally, I was all for Chadwell. My point is not knowing the name is no reason to say no name. By the way, Chadwell would have have had two alums on the on field staff if he had been hired. Addison Williams is on his Coastal staff. Rod Wilson would have been retained from the past staff.

Beamer, Stepp and Gray will be a recruiting machine!

Reactions: David1826
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT