ADVERTISEMENT

Beamer speaks on OL woes

GarnetBeamer

Dec 7, 2020
Concedes there were some blown protections, but shifted some of the blame to Brown, saying he needed to help the OL out by stepping up in the pocket more. Said he can't always spin out of the pocket and stretch the play to the sideline, which seems to be Brown's first instinct. Brown, to his credit, acknowledged his role in some of the sacks and said he created a lot of the pressures by getting out of the pocket too quick. After going back and watching the game, I have to agree. When watching the game live, it's easy to just attribute any QB pressure to the OL, but that's not always the case.

As another thread stated, this was a total team loss. Blame to go all around.

Last edited:
Some blown protections? Didn’t we come close to some kind of record for QB pressure? I do think Brown did tuck and run left a lot but I don’t know how much of that is natural tendency or because every time he finished his drop the RT was already there having been pushed back by the defender.

Brown did a good job stepping up last week when Florida wasn’t applying the same level of pressure so it’s likely he’ll be more comfortable doing it with more playing time but last night he was rarely even getting set before the pressure was on him.

One thing that has remained super consistent is DEs jumping the snap. I don’t know how much of that is that we are always snapping the ball with 1 second left because of “adjustments” or there is a tell in the way the QBs are coached to call for the snap.

Some blown protections? Didn’t we come close to some kind of record for QB pressure? I do think Brown did tuck and run left a lot but I don’t know how much of that is natural tendency or because every time he finished his drop the RT was already there having been pushed back by the defender.

Brown did a good job stepping up last week when Florida wasn’t applying the same level of pressure so it’s likely he’ll be more comfortable doing it with more playing time but last night he was rarely even getting set before the pressure was on him.

One thing that has remained super consistent is DEs jumping the snap. I don’t know how much of that is that we are always snapping the ball with 1 second left because of “adjustments” or there is a tell in the way the QBs are coached to call for the snap.
Again, some of those pressures, per Beamer and Brown, were Brown's fault.

Again, some of those pressures, per Beamer and Brown, were Brown's fault.
I don't doubt that Brown could have helped some. But if the Oline was just doing a mediocre job he wouldn't have needed to spin and run the wrong way in the first place. With a decent performance by them, just decent, nothing spectacular, we would have won handily. My take is the fault lies like this: 80% Oline, 20% Brown.

Concedes there were some blown protections, but shifted some of the blame to Brown, saying he needed to help the OL out by stepping up in the pocket more. Said he can't always spin out of the pocket and stretch the play to the sideline, which seems to be Brown's first instinct. Brown, to his credit, acknowledged his role in some of the sacks and said he created a lot of the pressures by getting out of the pocket too quick. After going back and watching the game, I have to agree. When watching the game live, it's easy to just attribute any QB pressure to the OL, but that's not always the case.

I listened to a portion of the game on the radio and heard Todd say the exact same thing in the third quarter.

I don't doubt that Brown could have helped some. But if the Oline was just doing a mediocre job he wouldn't have needed to spin and run the wrong way in the first place. With a decent performance by them, just decent, nothing spectacular, we would have won handily. My take is the fault lies like this: 80% Oline, 20% Brown.

I dunno about percentages. Probably more on the OL than Brown, but if either one had done a little bit better of a job, we probably would have won.

Reactions: Dizzy01
I listened to a portion of the game on the radio and heard Todd say the exact same thing in the third quarter.
I don’t think anyone would disagree with that. There were times the outside rush was so deep if Brown would have slid up the DEs would have hit each other.

There is a difference in handling the pressure and creating the pressure and Brown did not handle it well Saturday night. I didn’t see him move into like we’ve seen a couple times earlier in the season but it was so consistent from the right side he just started running. It’s the pros and cons of a QB who is used to scrambling that their first instinct isn’t to find the pocket. That takes playing time and coaching which is two things Brown hasn’t had here.

Poster creates thread "Beamer speaks on OL woes."

Spends rest of thread throwing the characteristic shade at Brown, trying a time or two to not be so obvious by using the word "everyone." Once again insinuates that Brown is a major cause of the loss.

Finally concedes that the true intent of the post is to at least "dispense with the notion that Brown was faultless."

We rush for 50 yards on 35 carries against one of if not the worst rushing defenses in the country. We GIVE UP 250 yards rushing to them. We get beat on a wide open deep ball practically identical to the one Vann caught against Florida.

But apparently, a primary reason for the loss is that, despite the pressure, Brown didn't utilize the pocket properly. Because "Beamer said so." Oh yeah, and Brown himself. Because the other option is to throw the o-line under the bus completely.

Lol.

Spends rest of thread throwing the characteristic shade at Brown, trying a time or two to not be so obvious by using the word "everyone." Once again insinuates that Brown is a major cause of the loss.

Finally concedes that the true intent of the post is to at least "dispense with the notion that Brown was faultless."

We rush for 50 yards on 35 carries against one of if not the worst rushing defenses in the country. We GIVE UP 250 yards rushing to them. We get beat on a wide open deep ball practically identical to the one Vann caught against Florida.

But apparently, a primary reason for the loss is that, despite the pressure, Brown didn't utilize the pocket properly. Because "Beamer said so." Oh yeah, and Brown himself. Because the other option is to throw the o-line under the bus completely.

Lol.

How much avoidable sack yardage was there?

At least we've dispensed with the notion that Brown was faultless.
He's certainly not faultless. Some of the problems Saturday night were his, some weren't. We have put up more points since he's been the QB, so there is that. We did not have a game plan to succeed Saturday. Missouri showed us what they were going to do against us the week before against GA, force us to pass. IMO, most of it was playcalling, some was OL, some was Brown. GA adjusted, we didn't.

He's certainly not faultless. Some of the problems Saturday night were his, some weren't. We have put up more points since he's been the QB, so there is that. We did not have a game plan to succeed Saturday. Missouri showed us what they were going to do against us the week before against GA, force us to pass. IMO, most of it was playcalling, some was OL, some was Brown. GA adjusted, we didn't.
And no one has said he was "faultless" that I've seen.

I've see posters intimate the loss was Brown's "fault." That's juvenile nonsense.

How much avoidable sack yardage was there?
Can't tell you that.

I can tell you that I played the position, and I know that bring the sniggles, chortles, and memes from the crowd that never played a down in their life and apparently think no one else did either; tough.

I know what it looks and feels like to take a snap and see the other team’s jerseys coming at you before you can even get your fingers on the laces. All that Gil Thorpe crap about “moving into the pocket” (a “pocket” hasn’t even formed yet for chrissakes), “progressions”, etc goes STRAIGHT out the window in those cases, I don’t give a crap what Beamer "says." There were a couple he could have moved into better, yes, and more than that that he used damn well. The rest was either break camp or take the sack, whether your name is Jason Brown or John Elway.

Plenty of "blame" to go around. You're obsessed with Jason Brown for some reason.

Reactions: Lakecock1

I've see posters intimate the loss was Brown's "fault." That's juvenile nonsense.
I agree. IMO, the loss is more on the OC than anyone. We knew what they were going to do defensively, and when they did it, we didn't have plan B.

Add the fact that their RB ran the ball 34 damn times, and we didn't sell out to stop him. We knew what they were going to do as well (run Badie), we just didn't sell out to stop it. Total coaching f'up all the way around, with some bad individual/unit play thrown in.

Missouri’s rush defense by game.
Central Michigan 174
Kentucky 341
SE Missouri 294
Boston College 275
Tennessee 458
North Texas 188
Texas A&M 283
Vandy 258
Georgia 168
USC 57
When you consider every line on this level is roughly the same size it’s amazing how results vary. Determination and coaching are huge.
But maybe a little of this is Mizzou figured out some things. They did hold UGA well below their average.

Good point on us snapping when we have to with one second left. Not hard to figure when to go on that! Lol
One thing I noticed on one of those instances was we were set then pulled up so the QB could look at the sideline at a coach at the line of scrimmage. He was looking at that coach for maybe 10 seconds. He then proceeded to take instruction from another coach on the sideline 10-20 yards behind the line of scrimmage for almost the same amount of time. I dont think I have ever seen anthing like that before. First thought was I guess we got all day. Mind you this was originally from the hurry up. Second thought was how much are we throwing at this guy at any given time.

Missouri’s rush defense by game.
Central Michigan 174
Kentucky 341
SE Missouri 294
Boston College 275
Tennessee 458
North Texas 188
Texas A&M 283
Vandy 258
Georgia 168
USC 57
When you consider every line on this level is roughly the same size it’s amazing how results vary. Determination and coaching are huge.
But maybe a little of this is Mizzou figured out some things. They did hold UGA well below their average.
They sold out to stop the run against GA. They were successful in the first half, but GA made them pay through the air, which opened up the run game the second half, they still averaged around 5 ypc if I'm remembering correctly. GA made adjustments, we didn't.

There are MANY posters who recoil at the notion that Brown has made mistakes or that his game has any flaws. Nobody has point blank said he’s faultless but there are numerous posters who deflect any criticism of Brown by blaming the OL.

I have complemented Brown’s play where appropriate, but he’s not without areas that need improvement.

Someone needs to ask Beamer who the hell sets the protection in the first place. Usually you let your center do that unless you have a VERY veteran QB that’s starting his 3-4 year in a row. You don’t leave protection settings to a 3rd string backup QB making his second start.

At least we've dispensed with the notion that Brown was faultless.

Beamer has called more individual players out more times than Satterfield this year. All it tells us is he believes the excuses Satterfield gives over and over. Sure, there's some plays that Brown could be doing better; but our other starting QBs have been mauled this season for a reason and we're down to 3rd string for a reason. He's blamed every single QB by name, and not called Satterfield out once.

The problem I had with the play calling (not necessarily the line or quarterback) is that we never figured out a way to slow their rush down. On a few plays their defense basically could have taken the handoff from Brown.
Having said that, we had Missouri on the ropes early on! Go up 14-0 and it could have been a totally different game.

I agree. IMO, the loss is more on the OC than anyone. We knew what they were going to do defensively, and when they did it, we didn't have plan B.

Add the fact that their RB ran the ball 34 damn times, and we didn't sell out to stop him. We knew what they were going to do as well (run Badie), we just didn't sell out to stop it. Total coaching f'up all the way around, with some bad individual/unit play thrown in.
Badie ran apesh*t because of poor tackling. That's the one thing I was hoping Clayton could address this year... but it's year 1 of a rebuild and no coach fixes everything in year 1 in the SEC. Clayton's scheme is there. We just need more talent on the defense at this point.

Reactions: chief2791
Brown could have done a better job no doubt. But we have a couple OL players that continually whiff blocks, some plays they never even touch anybody. They just stand there watching their man run past them. Brown cannot slide up into a pocket that is not there to begin with.
👍👍❗❗❗

I don't think it is Browns fault, same thing has happened the previous QB's we've had, they are running for their life all game or just stand there and get sacked. It's never the coaches fault always blaming someone else for this.

As usual there are those who say the QB has no blame. some who say he is all to blame. There is plenty of blame to go around. Brown admitted he made mistakes. A leader does that. I think the kid gives us the best chance to win. We got two big games coming up. I am going to support the team and hope our OL blocks someone, anyone please

I saw it while it was happening and the announcers talked about how he had to step up in the pocket, but the OL still had a bad game. Also, without his turnovers in the third possession and the scoop n score, we prevent two of their scores and probably get the TD on that first one and we win by three scores instead of losing by one. He needed to see that defender underneath and he needed to just accept the sack on the other one. This is probably why they wanted Doty healthy and starting, neither of which we got.

Reactions: WingchunCock
I saw it while it was happening and the announcers talked about how he had to step up in the pocket, but the OL still had a bad game. Also, without his turnovers in the third possession and the scoop n score, we prevent two of their scores and probably get the TD on that first one and we win by three scores instead of losing by one. He needed to see that defender underneath and he needed to just accept the sack on the other one. This is probably why they wanted Doty healthy and starting, neither of which we got.
Friend, that’s like them saying if they don’t throw their interceptions and they contain Brown better they win going away.

It’s football. Things happen. Things have always happened. Things will CONTINUE to happen.

Your last sentence…you’ve got to be kidding. Please note when you have seen Doty, healthy, not healthy, whatever, do EITHER of what you say Brown should be doing.

If I had ever seen Doty do anything besides look like a 4th grader trying to differentiate a complex calculus equation you would never have heard a peep out of me about Brown.

Reactions: OldWiseCock

Lol.

Thank you. My reaction to hearing this from Beamer was, "what pocket?"

Our offensive line has been swiss cheese all year. It ain't some new development.

Defense couldn't stop grannie in a wheelchair Saturday, but they were on the field a lot.

Thank you. My reaction to hearing this from Beamer was, "what pocket?"

Our offensive line has been swiss cheese all year. It ain't some new development.

Defense couldn't stop grannie in a wheelchair Saturday, but they were on the field a lot.
My recollection was that these “pockets” were usually already housing a defender. Not particularly good form for Beamer in that teleconference imo.

I’m going to rewatch tomorrow and have a look; in the meantime I think Sugar Shane knows bloody well what the problem(s) is/are, but if he mentions that he’ll be hit with questions he doesn’t want to deal with right now.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
As usual there are those who say the QB has no blame. some who say he is all to blame. There is plenty of blame to go around. Brown admitted he made mistakes. A leader does that. I think the kid gives us the best chance to win. We got two big games coming up. I am going to support the team and hope our OL blocks someone, anyone please
What was upsetting about that have, is it he didn't make some HUGE errors, we win and if the OL blocked like they are capable of, we'd win. There was a lot fighting against us playing to out ceiling that game.
Friend, that’s like them saying if they don’t throw their interceptions and they contain Brown better they win going away.

It’s football. Things happen. Things have always happened. Things will CONTINUE to happen.

Your last sentence…you’ve got to be kidding. Please note when you have seen Doty, healthy, not healthy, whatever, do EITHER of what you say Brown should be doing.

If I had ever seen Doty do anything besides look like a 4th grader trying to differentiate a complex calculus equation you would never have heard a peep out of me about Brown.
We haven't seen Doty healthy this year and that fumble was no small mistake, a quarterback should know he lost that snap and I still want Brown getting snaps, I wasn't questioning his talent but he's still tried something you just can't get away with in the SEC. You're coming at me with a lot of hostility when I do support Brown, but the reason the coaches said he didn't start was trying to do too much, we saw that and he'll continue to elevate his play because he has the talent. You should first ask if you actually know someone else's perspective before flying off the handle.

Yes, this is the only point I strain to make on here: blame to go around.

I’ll sum it up:

1. Terrible OC that needs to be FIRED
2. Confused OL severely limited by an OC that can’t his complicated system into a cohesive unit
3. Three different starting QB’s
4. Piss poor OL recruiting under Muskrat and poor OL evaluations by our former OL coach now at Kensucky.
5. Terrible OC that needs to be FIRED

Brown could have done a better job no doubt. But we have a couple OL players that continually whiff blocks, some plays they never even touch anybody. They just stand there watching their man run past them. Brown cannot slide up into a pocket that is not there to begin with.

That play where the safety was so obviously coming near the end zone, resulting in a scoop and score, well that tells you all you need to know about both our play calling and player skill. Brown should have called time out, changed plays, or ran to the other side because he stared down that safety. Knew it was coming. That was the play that sealed it.

I’ll sum it up:

1. Terrible OC that needs to be FIRED
2. Confused OL severely limited by an OC that can’t his complicated system into a cohesive unit
3. Three different starting QB’s
4. Piss poor OL recruiting under Muskrat and poor OL evaluations by our former OL coach now at Kensucky.
5. Terrible OC that needs to be FIRED
5ds-of-dodgeball-dodge.gif

Just finished watching the replay of the game.

Ho-leeeey CRAP. You people harping on pockets, scoop and scores, lol, y’all are insane.

Missouri had us scouted well, and Amen to the poster that called out our o-line as slow. We’re trying to pull guys like we’re the Washington Redskin Hogs, and the defense has already made the tackle before our guys even get to where they were supposed to make their blocks. It’s almost comical.

Brown, White, Bell, Vann, and I’ll say Harris too actually played pretty well I thought. I had actually been pretty confident we would take one of these last two games, but after rewatching this I don’t see any way; too easy to scout how to beat us and we can’t bully our way out of it. We need to dispense with a drop back; this line can’t protect. Roll out every play. If we’re serious about winning we need to sit Lloyd and Joyner and leave them there. Brown is not the greatest RPO or read action guy, probably why he was third team, but with this oline the point is moot. Get in the I and stay there.

Defensively? Just tackle man, and stop with the high tackle stuff.

God help us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT