ADVERTISEMENT

Bentley

uscgrad1991

Oct 3, 2006
On behalf of all the the stupid Gamecock fans. I want to say I’m Sorry. You were dominating against Clemson. If Alabama can’t do it with all their weapons. We certainly can’t blame you. In the bowl game your top receiver was out which resulted in double coverage of Edwards so I don’t blame you. I saw you run out at halftime eagerly waiting to play. You have the heart of a true Gamecock. Thank you for coming back!

On behalf of all the the stupid Gamecock fans. I want to say I’m Sorry. You were dominating against Clemson. If Alabama can’t do it with all their weapons. We certainly can’t blame you. In the bowl game your top receiver was out which resulted in double coverage of Edwards so I don’t blame you. I saw you run out at halftime eagerly waiting to play. You have the heart of a true Gamecock. Thank you for coming back!

Bentley had a great game against Clemson, put up a lot of numbers/points... but we still lost by 21. Deebo would not have made a difference in the bowl game. We got beat 28-0. Double Coverage of Edwards, should've meant single coverage for Vann, Smith, etc. but he still threw two horrible interceptions, the first being a dagger after the defense had made the stop. These two losses aren't on him, HOWEVER, when you lead the league in interceptions this year with 14... many of those inside the redzone, he has some work to do going into next year. I just hope for a true evaluation at the QB1 spot. Clemmy benched their Senior QB for Trevor L. seems like it worked our pretty well for them.

Bentley had a great game against Clemson, put up a lot of numbers/points... but we still lost by 21. Deebo would not have made a difference in the bowl game. We got beat 28-0. Double Coverage of Edwards, should've meant single coverage for Vann, Smith, etc. but he still threw two horrible interceptions, the first being a dagger after the defense had made the stop. These two losses aren't on him, HOWEVER, when you lead the league in interceptions this year with 14... many of those inside the redzone, he has some work to do going into next year. I just hope for a true evaluation at the QB1 spot. Clemmy benched their Senior QB for Trevor L. seems like it worked our pretty well for them.
South Carolina scored 35 points against Clemson Nov. 24. Alabama and Notre Dame totaled 19 points in the two CFB Playoff games. Gamecocks had 600 yards. Tide/Irish combined for 691.
Here true stats:
http://www.espn.com/college-football/conferences/statistics/player/_/id/8/sec-conference

Reactions: wentzel25
South Carolina scored 35 points against Clemson Nov. 24. Alabama and Notre Dame totaled 19 points in the two CFB Playoff games. Gamecocks had 600 yards. Tide/Irish combined for 691.

Grad as I said in my post, I agree with you that Bentley had an outstanding game! Look at the season as a whole though, don't take just one game. One game doesn't define how great or how bad a team/player really is (See Alabama). There were more than enough drops this year on well thrown balls by our WRs, there were more than enough overthrown/underthrown balls this year (Jake). The fact remains, our qb who has been in the system now for three years has not produced a victory against a ranked team. Has never beaten TAM, Kentucky, Georgia, or Clemson (BTW no QB has never lost to Clemson ever year during their four years at Carolina), So will Bentley rack up a lot of records at Carolina? Absolutely! But all that and $2 will get you a gallon of gas. I hope he comes out next year and has a great year, but that has to mean wins not just stats.

Trevor Lawrence is a once in a generation QB. It was a no brainier. There is one reason Bentley is the starter. He is the best we have. Despite the fact that a great number on this board cant see that. I hope Helinski turns out to be an all time great.....but to assume he is going to be the guy before he even takes a practice snap is unrealistic. The notion that "someone has to better" on our current team is wishful thinking.

Reactions: rogue cock
If you swapped the spots of the two QBs neither team would have been playing in the NC game but I’d feel pretty sure that Bentley would look a lot better. There is no comparison to the talent level they are playing with.

Trevor Lawrence is a once in a generation QB. It was a no brainier. There is one reason Bentley is the starter. He is the best we have. Despite the fact that a great number on this board cant see that. I hope Helinski turns out to be an all time great.....but to assume he is going to be the guy before he even takes a practice snap is unrealistic. The notion that "someone has to better" on our current team is wishful thinking.

Tree what about Deshaun taking over his freshman year at Clemson? Fromm at Georgia? Tua at Bama? What do they all have in common? The coaches weren't afraid to make a change or give those guys an opportunity. It starts with getting guys experience. But my gosh, the NCAA has a built in four game buffer for redshirts but we refused to use it on the most critical position on the field. God forbid Jake gets hurt (even like this year with Scar playing against Mizzu) what are we going to do? Blame it on inexperience? We had Joyner and Urich on the bench all this year. We couldn't get them meaningful snaps this year? A series here and there when getting blown out at Clemson or against Georgia or how about against Virginia? I don't see practice, but its hard to believe that these guys who Champ and Co. have recruited couldn't have a small package of plays that they could execute during a game. Put those guys in "under the lights" and show them how it feels playing against the big boys. Otherwise going into 2020 we will have another excuse as to why we are struggling that we have an inexperienced qb at the helm. This cycle looks similar to how Champ handled things at Florida.

Tree what about Deshaun taking over his freshman year at Clemson? Fromm at Georgia? Tua at Bama? What do they all have in common? The coaches weren't afraid to make a change or give those guys an opportunity. It starts with getting guys experience. But my gosh, the NCAA has a built in four game buffer for redshirts but we refused to use it on the most critical position on the field. God forbid Jake gets hurt (even like this year with Scar playing against Mizzu) what are we going to do? Blame it on inexperience? We had Joyner and Urich on the bench all this year. We couldn't get them meaningful snaps this year? A series here and there when getting blown out at Clemson or against Georgia or how about against Virginia? I don't see practice, but its hard to believe that these guys who Champ and Co. have recruited couldn't have a small package of plays that they could execute during a game. Put those guys in "under the lights" and show them how it feels playing against the big boys. Otherwise going into 2020 we will have another excuse as to why we are struggling that we have an inexperienced qb at the helm. This cycle looks similar to how Champ handled things at Florida.
Another assumption that there is someone better on the bench. The one thing I keep hearing about DJ from practices is that "his throwing is improving". Take that for what it's worth. DJ and Urich we're not considered blue Chip recruits. Those other guys were. And playing for top level teams with top level talent on both sides of the ball. Clemson offered DJ as a DB. Not a QB

And Bentley would have been benched if Trevor Lawrence had been standing on the sidelines. Some of you folks blow me away. Unfortunately, neither Scar, or Joyner, should even be mentioned in the same breath with Lawrence

If you swapped the spots of the two QBs neither team would have been playing in the NC game but I’d feel pretty sure that Bentley would look a lot better. There is no comparison to the talent level they are playing with.

It's a crazy concept... receivers are supposed to catch the balls when they are thrown... blew my mind thinking about that.. lol...
Another assumption that there is someone better on the bench. The one thing I keep hearing about DJ from practices is that "his throwing is improving". Take that for what it's worth. DJ and Urich we're not considered blue Chip recruits. Those other guys were. And playing for top level teams with top level talent on both sides of the ball. Clemson offered DJ as a DB. Not a QB

Joyner was a four star. (whatever that even truly means with all the different sites and ratings). I'm not saying that we had one better, I'm saying/asking could we at least not get them experience. See if they could provide a spark of some sorts? The bowl game would have been a great place to do it. If they failed miserably, then use it to coach them up going into next season. If they succeeded then build upon that and push Jake to get better or whoever the QB1 is. If I was in that spot that I saw another guy performing and my job was possibly in jeopardy, I think I'd push myself a little more.

Reactions: uscalumni
And Bentley would have been benched if Trevor Lawrence had been standing on the sidelines. Some of you folks blow me away. Unfortunately, neither Scar, or Joyner, should even be mentioned in the same breath with Lawrence

This isn't about only Trevor Lawrence. This is about having the sack to try something different. No Scar or Joyner isn't in the same league as him, but freaking try something other than let a guy continue to make freshman mistakes over and over and over inside the redzone or when a play truly has to be made. A mobile qb (Joyner) could have possibly changed the game especially if we don't have a solid run game when you're trying to run an RPO with a qb who isn't the fastest or threat to keep it very often. I'm not saying hand him the keys to the car, but rather let him in the car and see what would happen. They weren't afraid to do that with any other position on the field...

The RPO doesn’t involve the QB running the ball. The RPO is the QB making the decision to put in a run play or a pass play based on the defense. The read option would be helped with a mobile QB but being able to run doesn’t make the RPO better and potentially removing pass options could actually make the RPO worse. The threat of a pass is the only thing that kept LBs from simply crashing the oline every single play.

I thought they cut back on the RPO play calling when they said Bentley was making some bad decisions earlier in the year and called straight run or pass plays..imo,u need a totally team player if u going to let the qb make the right play call.whos to say he passed the ball on purpose instead of handing the ball off when the look called for a run..only the coach’s and Bentley know this answer..

It's a crazy concept... receivers are supposed to catch the balls when they are thrown... blew my mind thinking about that.. lol...

Joyner was a four star. (whatever that even truly means with all the different sites and ratings). I'm not saying that we had one better, I'm saying/asking could we at least not get them experience. See if they could provide a spark of some sorts? The bowl game would have been a great place to do it. If they failed miserably, then use it to coach them up going into next season. If they succeeded then build upon that and push Jake to get better or whoever the QB1 is. If I was in that spot that I saw another guy performing and my job was possibly in jeopardy, I think I'd push myself a little more.
What makes you think Jake doesn't push himself every day to get better? The coaches see these guys in practice every day. We don't. This is like a passenger telling a pilot how he should fly the plane.

Dropsies don't help and do not allow a WB to get in rhythm. Ball was moved just could lot get out of our own way. dropsie, high incomplete interception

What makes you think Jake doesn't push himself every day to get better? The coaches see these guys in practice every day. We don't. This is like a passenger telling a pilot how he should fly the plane.

So is it a talent issue then? It is either he doesn't have the skill set that we thought he did or he is not developing like he should be three years into the system. I agree, we don't see what takes place day to day, but we do see the performance on the field. I WANT TO SEE JAKE SUCCEED. I WANT TO SEE ANYONE WHO WEARS THE GARNET AND BLACK SUCCEED. BUT this means win/loss column not personal stats.

I posted this exact same thing three years ago about Deshaun and I was convinced it was true until last night.

Here in Spartanburg gas is sitting at $1.75 right now...

Last week I bought gas at $1.699 at Costco.

R U Kidding ME??? It's over $2.25 in South Florida. Well, that certainly explains why $2 per gallon gas isn't so great. But, Please explain why though, 2 interceptions, in a 21 point loss (the 5th in a row, to clemson, our arch rival), is great. I'm sure that will make everything much, much better and give us hope for our football future.

Reactions: Cocky4SC
we need less INT's from the QB position regardless of who that person is..........
I'd be ok with the INT/TD ratio if we could hit open guys in stride, hit open receivers instead of throwing high and not throw guys into knock-out contact... and if we did all of those things, we'd probably improve that INT/TD ratio.

Reactions: Cocky4SC
So is it a talent issue then? It is either he doesn't have the skill set that we thought he did or he is not developing like he should be three years into the system. I agree, we don't see what takes place day to day, but we do see the performance on the field. I WANT TO SEE JAKE SUCCEED. I WANT TO SEE ANYONE WHO WEARS THE GARNET AND BLACK SUCCEED. BUT this means win/loss column not personal stats.
Yes. It's a talent issue. That is what I've been saying all along. The best quarterback we have is playing.

Nice apology from the self-appointed grand poobah of stupid fans.

The coaches see these guys in practice every day. We don't. This is like a passenger telling a pilot how he should fly the plane.

You, certainly make a valid point.

However, after losing by 21 points, while giving up 56 points to our arch rival, following that up with 28-0 whitewash to an ACC team and then crashing head first, into Mother Earth, at over 120 MPH, some might find it rather interesting to hear just what The Passenger
would have done differently.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT