ADVERTISEMENT

Best “Rassler” of all time?

Am I the only one that loved the punching bags more than the stars? I always hoped George South, The Italian Stallion, Thunderfoot, etc. would someday stumble into a win. The day the Mulkey brothers won was like a national holiday. Mulkeymania running wild!

Am I the only one that loved the punching bags more than the stars? I always hoped George South, The Italian Stallion, Thunderfoot, etc. would someday stumble into a win. The day the Mulkey brothers won was like a national holiday. Mulkeymania running wild!
March 28 , 1987 close to being 33 years ago.

The guys who wrestled the stars and were there just to take the L always made me feel sorry for them. They would always get a few good licks in and pin the star for 2.998 seconds. The star would kick out and then kick ass.
RollLaugh

Reactions: Dizzy01
I found a show called “ the dark side of the ring” today and it was pretty interesting. It had me wondering who is considered the best? I watched it as a young child but lost interest. I always liked the Road Warriors.
Nature Boy Ric Flair
The Rock
Hulk Hogan
Macho Man Randy Savage
The Undertaker

Surprised the Rock hasn't gotten more attention on here. Perhaps because he stopped his career short.

Also, Shawn Michaels should get a mention because he is one of the greatest of all time. Mr. Wrestlemania, the Show Stopper. He had a charisma that could sway crowds and an in-ring to match, only spoiled a little by his attitude at times (See vs. Big Van Vader, or Hulk Hogan).

Reactions: cadcock and Judson1
My top four:
1. Ric Flair
2. Dusty Rhodes
3. Wahoo McDaniel
4. Black Jack Mulligan

Honorable Mentions
1. Magnum T.A.
2. Sting
3. Paul Jones
4. Greg Valentine
Too many more to name. Was a big time fan. I remember going to Florence Memorial Stadium in Florence, SC with my dad every time they came.
Yeah, memorial stadium. Where the Blue Jays played. They had the ring on the football field. I went to see my favorite baseball player back then Rocket Wheeler that day and Wrestling that night. What a day that was for me. I won a hit , run and throw competition that day during the seventh inning. All we did was run the bases and see who could throw it the furthest. I won a bat and baseball signed by Rocket Wheeler and a picture. I dreamed about that day for a long time. My dad told that story to anyone and everyone who would listen for years. Getting to meet Flair, Magnum TA and Wahoo was icing on the cake. I thought Wahoo was a real bow and arrow hunting Indian.

Reactions: cadcock and H8R
I found a show called “ the dark side of the ring” today and it was pretty interesting. It had me wondering who is considered the best? I watched it as a young child but lost interest. I always liked the Road Warriors.

Back in the stone ages, hmm:

Good guys
Wahoo McDaniels and Paul Jones
Rufas "Freight Train" Jones

Bad Guys
The Valentine Brothers

Reactions: Judson1
Andre didn't like Studd and just beat the hell out of him in their hundreds of matches

Yeah. Apparently one of the reasons Andre didn't like Studd was because Studd would always step over the top rope. Andre felt like that was his thing and it was disrespectful that Studd did it, too.

Flair
Dusty Rhodes
Johnny Valentine
Wahoo

Also liked Haystack Calhoun and George"Two Ton "Harris who used to look into the camera and say"I've got him now " right before he took a major ass whipping.Great fun.Two Ton's win % was about like the Washington Generals.

My adolecence was spent watching American Bandstand with all the bouncing boobs followed by Mid Atlantic Wresting.Those were the days!

Last edited:
I vote The Rock, which also was the last time i really followed it in the early 2000's, very entertaining & made me laugh alot!

giphy.gif

Reactions: jeff2001
So did I. Looking back, they were the first steroid freaks in wrasslin, a trend that continued through the 2000's.

With a name like Mr. Wrestling, the masked Tim Woods was certainly a candidate for the thinking man's wrestler. I remember Dave Marcus at the (?)Township and Gordon Solie from The Sunshine State, the announcers, better than the wrestlers. What I treasure most, though, was my dad swearing it was all real, while I watched in disbelief.

How about "Nature Boy" Buddy Landel for laughs and Rocky King for taking the most pins in Mid-Atlantic Champioship Wrestling history. Just a guess on Rocky, but he took a lot of L's.

Reactions: Dizzy01
How about "Nature Boy" Buddy Landel for laughs and Rocky King for taking the most pins in Mid-Atlantic Champioship Wrestling history. Just a guess on Rocky, but he took a lot of L's.
Yeah but Rocky eventually got to be a Freebird so it all worked out for him later.

Jimmy "Super Fly" Snuka and Andre "The Giant
were super guys … Add "Hulk Hogan"
Do you mean 'super' as in talented or being good people? I'm assuming the latter. A few years ago, I read Cary Elwes' memoirs of making 'The Princess Bride' and he told some great stories about Andre.
I've never heard anyone say Hogan was a super guy.

Biggest thing in wrestling is being able to work a crowd. Lots of guys over the years have had the charisma and ability to do that, but by and large the absolute best ever was Ric Flair.

I had the pleasure of running into him a couple of times over the years, and chatted a bit over drinks. Really a nice guy, talking with him he really had a passion and desire to make every fan get their money’s worth.

Jim Cornette called Rocky King, the buckwheat of Professional Wrestling and a fugitive from the little Rascals .many years ago.

Do you mean 'super' as in talented or being good people? I'm assuming the latter. A few years ago, I read Cary Elwes' memoirs of making 'The Princess Bride' and he told some great stories about Andre.
I've never heard anyone say Hogan was a super guy.
And Snuka murdered his girlfriend.

Not only is Hogan not a good person, in my opinion, he is the worst wrestler of all time.

Mr. USA, Tony Atlas, was the best until he was fired and made an example of after being late one day.

I was a Wahoo guy......also like Mr Wrestling & MR2 .......and Andre of course.

I have seen “The Rock” mentioned. To me he was one of the most annoying wrestlers ever. Just cant stand to watch the guy.

First match I ever saw was the same day we got tv, December 1954.

Watched The Great Bolo and Bolo tag team rassle a father -son combo with last name Garibaldi. Also had Gorgeous George on the same night.

I stayed up till midnight watching that, at age of 10.

And here is the Nature Boy with my oldest grandson 17 years ago

Last edited:
Anyone watch the Benoit episode of Darkside tonight? Pretty interesting and Jericho was really interesting. Also had no idea Dean Malenko had Parkinson’s.

Anyone watch the Benoit episode of Darkside tonight? Pretty interesting and Jericho was really interesting. Also had no idea Dean Malenko had Parkinson’s.
That's too bad for Malenko. He always seemed like a hard working guy.
On a lighter note, speaking of Malenko and Jericho, I still get a laugh over Jericho's promos when he was feuding with Malenko back in the mid 90s at WCW. He always called him 'Stinko Malenko.'

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT