ADVERTISEMENT

Best Carolina vs UNC football game of All-Time

TN-Gamecock

May 10, 2002
Erwin, TN/Originally from Greer

The prognosticators predicted a blow out...I remember WLOS in Asheville said the Gamecocks OL was being pieced together
and it would be over by halftime....It was the old Stan Pamfilis from WLOS in Asheville who said it would be a UNC blowout due
to our O-Line...Joke was on him...remember UNC was Ranked #3 and we were not ranked at all...game was in Chapel Hill...

Would love to hear from anyone who was at the game...

The prognosticators predicted a blow out...I remember WLOS in Asheville said the Gamecocks OL was being pieced together
and it would be over by halftime....It was the old Stan Pamfilis from WLOS in Asheville who said it would be a UNC blowout due
to our O-Line...Joke was on him...remember UNC was Ranked #3 and we were not ranked at all...game was in Chapel Hill...

I was there. A great time. Gordon Beckham was the QB and threw maybe one incompletion. Also was there in '70 for a win. If I recall correctly, Dickie Harris had a kick return. Another great game was '68 (I believe; I wasn't there for it). USC trailed 27-3 after three and won 32-27.

I was there. A great time. Gordon Beckham was the QB and threw maybe one incompletion. Also was there in '70 for a win. If I recall correctly, Dickie Harris had a kick return. Another great game was '68 (I believe; I wasn't there for it). USC trailed 27-3 after three and won 32-27.
I actually think that game in '68 was the greatest in the series since I've been alive. We were only 4-6 that year and that thriller was played at Chapel Hill in front of 28,000 fans. I was in the crowd that greeted the team when the buses brought them to the Russell House when they returned home.

I actually think that game in '68 was the greatest in the series since I've been alive. We were only 4-6 that year and that thriller was played at Chapel Hill in front of 28,000 fans. I was in the crowd that greeted the team when the buses brought them to the Russell House when they returned home.
Had to be 1968, we were down 27-3 in the fourth quarter and ended up winning 32-27. Tommy Suggs was the qb and I still remember our All American fb Warren Muir being introduced as a Kodak All American on the Ed Sullivan show at season end. Glad to see this board has some folks that have lived a long history of SC athletics.

Had to be 1968, we were down 27-3 in the fourth quarter and ended up winning 32-27. Tommy Suggs was the qb and I still remember our All American fb Warren Muir being introduced as a Kodak All American on the Ed Sullivan show at season end. Glad to see this board has some folks that have lived a long history of SC athletics.
Do you remember Suggs getting pulled in that game? I seem to remember Dietzel going to the bullpen.

My homeboy (Camden, SC) DeWayne Chivers played in this game. He scored our third TD and had a career high 7 catches that day. DeWayne recently passed away a few months ago. RIP!

Seems like i remember we we’re heavy underdogs they had Don McCauley, he was all acc maybe all america!

Reactions: drosesc
My Dixie Youth baseball coach Pat Watson had a big interception to start the amazing comeback in the 1968 game.

There is no wrong answer but I would go with the 1968 game over the 1981 game. Both were amazing performances, but the 81 game didn't lead to anything, We still lost to Pacific, clemson and Hawaii and Carlen was fired. That comeback in 68 really gave a young sophomore-laden team the boost it needed to go on to 3 straight wins over clemson and the ACC title in 1969.

Bullseye!

I actually think that game in '68 was the greatest in the series since I've been alive. We only 4-6 that year and that thriller was played at Chapel Hill in front of 28,000 fans. I was in the crowd that greeted the team when the buses brought them to the Russell House when they returned home.
I was 15 months old on September 28th, 1968!!!

The score was actually 32 - 27, and the only thing I recall about it is a combination of several hilariously funny stories that are/were based on the severely under the influence recollection(s) of several older gentlemen (my father's buddies that he'd grown up with thru high school back then) that were students at Carolina and had made that trip up to chapel hell with their group of frat boys!!

No doubt about it, things were trippingly interesting back during the mid and late 60's as far as "college" goes!!

Anyway, just thought I'd mention what I have.

Yes, the 1968 game. Fabulous comeback.

I was there also, Beckham hit 16 out of 17 passes I think and it was just our day. Went down on the field after the game and the reporters cornered Jim Carlen in the endzone. 31-13, a great day for Carolina football.

Reactions: Mr CockStrong

I was there. We built a fire in the tarhole library parking lot after the game. Wine and cheese libs went nuts.

That was Dietzel's second win versus UNC during his time as Gamecock coach. He did not lose to UNC, going 5-0. USC did not play UNC in 1966 (Dietzel's first season), but the Gamecocks won in 1967, '68, '69 and '70. before the University left the ACC in June 1971. The two schools did not play again until Dietzel's final season, 1974 - also a Gamecock win.

Our offense rolled behind 2 QBs, one of which wasn’t on the roster as a QB this season and the other who wasn’t even on the roster at all at the start of fall camp.
Yep, so either Beamer is just a meant to be or his inaugural season was sheer luck. In all honesty I do believe its the former.
We'll sure enough see for certain over the next few years.

Talk about stating the obvious there, I sure did No Doubt!! But I do believe Beamer will become The Man in Columbia, SC!! He just seems to have that perfect fit in his personality, attitude, method(s) and technique(s)!!

JMHO of course, so feel free to slaughter me! But I do believe Shane will "out do" his father's legacy at VaTech by A LOONNNGGGG SHOT of his very own at USC!!

Last edited:
They also made the mistake of hiring Carlen as AD. Good as a football coach, but nobody should hold a HC position (regardless of sport) and AD at a school concurrently.
At the time he held both jobs, other schools were still doing it - a bone to the head football coach. It used to be common. Vince Dooley was still holding both jobs about the same time Carlen was, if I'm not mistaken. I'm not saying it was ever a good arrangement, but it was not uncommon when we did it. Bass, Dietzel, and Carlen were all athletic directors at USC. I'm not certain about Giese.

My wife or should of said my new bride and I were there in wine and cheese country. Gordon Beckham played out of his mind. Beckham was 16 of 17 if memory serves me correctly. What a glorious day to be a GAMECOCK and one of the BEST days of my life seeing the Tarholes WHINE, WHINE, AND WHINE some more. We were sitting in the North Carolina student section as one of my former students got us tickets to the game. A game I will truly never forget. That is all.

Listened to it. We were down like 28-3 going into the fourth quarter I think. Gordon Beckham was the quarterback. Amazing game.

At the time he held both jobs, other schools were still doing it - a bone to the head football coach. It used to be common. Vince Dooley was still holding both jobs about the same time Carlen was, if I'm not mistaken. I'm not saying it was ever a good arrangement, but it was not uncommon when we did it. Bass, Dietzel, and Carlen were all athletic directors at USC. I'm not certain about Giese.
UnCarolina had the two separated at the time they hired McGuire. Probably one of the few schools to do so at the time.

Rex Enright remained as AD after he resigned as head football coach and Giese was hired as his replacement. Giese added AD to his responsibilities I believe during his last year or two as HC when Enright became too ill to function.

Had the two positions remained separate after Enright resigned, IMO, a lot of the discord which happened in the 1970s and 80s may not have happened.

Reactions: Gaimcock
They also made the mistake of hiring Carlen as AD. Good as a football coach, but nobody should hold a HC position (regardless of sport) and AD at a school concurrently.
Uh, that very initial sentence of yours there is Dead-On target!!

Now as far as the second sentence, well let me just say that lots of us (and Yes, I do indeed consider myself to be an "Elder"!!) "oldster's" thought rather highly of Carlen.

Suffice it to day that thanx to then legendary president Jim Holderman, Coach Carlen was "forced out. Then we have the what, 9+/- months of Richard Bell??
Anyway, Joe Morrison was hired to take over from Bell, and at that point our most recent and highest achievement(s) were uninitiated. In fact, Joe Morrisons 10-2 team of 1984 was, according to those that were in the know back then, was primarily able to achieve such from players that were initially recruited by Carlen during his time as HC. Specially, legend has it that Carlen's OL made it possible for Mike Hold and the late Allen Mitchell to lead our offense as they did to 10-2 and that trip to the Gator Bowl vs Oklahoma State!!

Anyway, just blabbin' on there as I'm stuck in Charlotte traffic as usual!!

Later

Uh, that very initial sentence of yours there is Dead-On target!!

Now as far as the second sentence, well let me just say that lots of us (and Yes, I do indeed consider myself to be an "Elder"!!) "oldster's" thought rather highly of Carlen.

Suffice it to day that thanx to then legendary president Jim Holderman, Coach Carlen was "forced out. Then we have the what, 9+/- months of Richard Bell??
Anyway, Joe Morrison was hired to take over from Bell, and at that point our most recent and highest achievement(s) were uninitiated. In fact, Joe Morrisons 10-2 team of 1984 was, according to those that were in the know back then, was primarily able to achieve such from players that were initially recruited by Carlen during his time as HC. Specially, legend has it that Carlen's OL made it possible for Mike Hold and the late Allen Mitchell to lead our offense as they did to 10-2 and that trip to the Gator Bowl vs Oklahoma State!!

Anyway, just blabbin' on there as I'm stuck in Charlotte traffic as usual!!

Later
Bob Marcum is generally not held in high regard. But at least USC finally hired two separate individuals, one to be Athletic Director and one to be Head Football Coach.

Reactions: Gaimcock
Glad to see this board has some folks that have lived a long history of SC athletics.
Yeah well there are quite a few of us on this board that have experienced such. You can specifically tell by the age related facial wrinkles and gray hair.

Even those of us that are currently within our mid-50's!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT