ADVERTISEMENT

Best fried chicken in Columbia area?

It sure sounds like every place I thought was nice when I lived in Cola is now run down and full of rift-raff. I last lived in Shandon. AJ’s restaurant was on the corner of Devine and Maple. 5 Points was like a safe little town of it’s own with about a dozen diverse great places to eat and hang out. My apt was only .9 miles from there so getting home was easy after a night out.

I used to run down Maple to Millwood, then right up to Dreer HS, then right all the way to Rosewood, then right back through Shannon to home or I’d weave my way down to 5 Points then back up Devine to home. Now I never crossed Millwood or ran up to Harden or crossed Rosewood. Those streets were kinda the dividing line before you got into the hood, but from there all the way to Rosewood was safe. I never once ran into any trouble or felt threatened even when I once ran that route at 3 AM.

You could rock the night away at Rockaways and finish at Pug’s or any other club/restaurant/bar in 5 Points. The Vista was brand new, and only had a few places to eat or drink, but we often started evenings there before heading elsewhere. I didn’t have much reason to venture over to Cayce/West Cola except to get some Popeye’s fried chicken or Maurice’s BBQ. Bush River Rd/St. Andrews/Dutch Square/Broad River Rd. was teaming. Parts of it weren’t the best, but certainly not the worst either. It’s sad to hear that pretty much all these areas and places have become so run down, unsafe, and even violent.

The years I spent in Cola were some of the worst and best of my life. I loved living there (15 years counting 4 at USC), and in some ways wish I’d never left, but eventually almost all of the folks I loved there moved elsewhere with new spouses or jobs including me. Such is life.
After school I lived on Senate, a block from Capstone. Once the days got longer, I'd walk each night from my house, through the Horseshoe, cut through by the Russell House/Women's Quad, up Pickens (past Purple Cow) to either Enoree or Heyward, over to Harden, back through 5 Points to Greene to Barnwell/Gregg/Laurens to Senate. Always felt safe. Not sure I'd do it now.

Of course, back then I'd never dream of walking down Main Street (between Richland and the Capital) during the day, much less at night. Now it is SO much better.

Sounds like I was either in school or working there when a lot of you guys were there as well. I wonder if we ever ran into one another.

Just make the drive to Leon’s in Charleston...when you get a taste you will know why it’s the best and that it was worth the drive

After school I lived on Senate, a block from Capstone. Once the days got longer, I'd walk each night from my house, through the Horseshoe, cut through by the Russell House/Women's Quad, up Pickens (past Purple Cow) to either Enoree or Heyward, over to Harden, back through 5 Points to Greene to Barnwell/Gregg/Laurens to Senate. Always felt safe. Not sure I'd do it now.

Of course, back then I'd never dream of walking down Main Street (between Richland and the Capital) during the day, much less at night. Now it is SO much better.
I live in that neighborhood now and do similar activities as you describe. Fun place to be isn't it?

I was with a couple of fellows one Saturday night in 1969 when we were accosted, and one of us assaulted, by a group of thugs on the State House grounds. In the interest of full disclosure, these were not minority thugs, as far as I could tell.

Just make the drive to Leon’s in Charleston...when you get a taste you will know why it’s the best and that it was worth the drive
I went there about a month ago. Will never go back. It was awful. I did not have the chicken though. Maybe it is good, but the oysters were terrible. I couldn't even eat them they were so tough and stringy.

Chain restaurants are a disqualifier. Also, why does your favorite place have better fried chicken?
. Apparently, no new places in Columbia with great fried chicken or no young people in this forum. All these posts are about old times/places. Herbs was great, but closed years ago.

latest

I ate at Leon's once... ONCE!

Cussin Bill's was right there off St Andrews and 26. I spent WAY too much time there.

I used to have my birthdays there in the 80s & 90s & I didn't turn 21 till 97. Steak & eggs was a favorite of mine. I won money on the poker machine underaged one time, and my uncle got to collect

That's Kwik Way owned by the Cripps Family. Original location is in Chapin, but they have the one by the dam and one by one of the Flea Markets in West Columbia. Yes, Kwik Way is the best
Original 1 is in white rock, before you get yo chapin. Grew up about a mile from there, and ate there countless times. Great burgers also.

Now you'e got me doing the math. It was still there in late 80's. 30ish?
I graduated high school in 1988, i believe it had burned down by then. I am thinking 84, 85. May have been later. I have an older friend that used to patron the place regularly. Next time i see him i will ask him.

Barrel of Fun was at Dutch Square. Aladdin's Closet was at Bush River. :D

Aladdin's Castle, Still have one of the tokens. My wife's father found it and gave it to her decades ago, he thought it was a foreign coin. I remember there being a Custom Tshirt maker there. Could that have been a Todd and Moore?

I remember at Dutch Square there was a Woolco and a Woolworth's across the concourse from each other. I could get a Double Barn Meal from Chick- fil-a (two sandwich waffle fry and coleslaw) in a barn-shaped and graphic box. An orange Julius was there. An amazing mechanical/animatronic Christmas display and Hickory Farms would open a temp store for holiday shopping. and the monkeys.

Aladdin's Castle, Still have one of the tokens. My wife's father found it and gave it to her decades ago, he thought it was a foreign coin. I remember there being a Custom Tshirt maker there. Could that have been a Todd and Moore?

I remember at Dutch Square there was a Woolco and a Woolworth's across the concourse from each other. I could get a Double Barn Meal from Chick- fil-a (two sandwich waffle fry and coleslaw) in a barn-shaped and graphic box. An orange Julius was there. An amazing mechanical/animatronic Christmas display and Hickory Farms would open a temp store for holiday shopping. and the monkeys.

I had forgotten about that. They'd have a large one and then smaller ones throughout the Mall.

Oops...

I graduated high school in 1988, i believe it had burned down by then. I am thinking 84, 85. May have been later. I have an older friend that used to patron the place regularly. Next time i see him i will ask him.
I could swear it was still there in 87/88 when I left C&S Bank in Columbia to go work for Sirrine in Greenville. Unless my memory is completely shot, it had to be. Are you sure it wasn't in the mid-90's when it burned down.

I could swear it was still there in 87/88 when I left C&S Bank in Columbia to go work for Sirrine in Greenville. Unless my memory is completely shot, it had to be. Are you sure it wasn't in the mid-90's when it burned down.
I remember drinking beer underage at Leo's on st andrews rd while jr/sr year in high school. I know we would have tried to have a pitcher or 2 at herb's if it was still there.

That's kinda pitiful using where we could drink beer at underage as memory for establishments at the time!!

Original 1 is in white rock, before you get yo chapin. Grew up about a mile from there, and ate there countless times. Great burgers also.

Yes, I know on the corner of My Vernon Church & 76 across from Bethel Lutheran but if you say White Rock most folks have no idea where you are talking about so I just said Chapin.

That's kinda pitiful using where we could drink beer at underage as memory for establishments at the time!!

Cussing Bills
Pizza Hut
Hemingway’s
Gooney Birds
Leo’s
Zorbas
The Heritage Golf Tournament
The Masters
Capital City Stadium
There could be more where I sampled beer prior to 21, but these I recall easily.

Reactions: fire ant
What does broasted mean?

Broasting is a method of cooking chicken and other foods using a pressure fryer. The technique was invented by L. A. M. Phelan in the early 1950s and is marketed by the Broaster Company of Beloit, Wisconsin, United States, which Phelan founded.

Broasting equipment, accessories, and ingredients are marketed only to service and institutional customers, including supermarkets and fast-food restaurants; they are not available to the general public. The company licenses the Broasted trademark to the more than 5,500 purchasers of its system, who follow its specifications and recipes, and undertake a periodic (re-)certification process. The licensing certification arrangement is not part of a traditional franchising scheme in that the arrangement does not incur traditional royalty payment obligations.

The method essentially combines pressure cooking with deep frying to pressure fry chicken that has been marinated and breaded. Other modern fast-food chains also deep fry chicken under pressure, but use different recipes or equipment from one of several alternative suppliers (e.g., Henny Penny).

Internationally, broasted chicken remains highly popular in Middle Eastern and South Asian countries such as Saudi Arabia and Pakistan, as well as in Latin American countries such as Colombia and Peru. Many restaurants and fast-food chains in these countries also have the word "broast" in their names.

They are there at the old Howard Johnson on Bush river each week it seems
I don't watch it much, but the few times I've flipped thru it, it seemed like they were either on or near Broad River, Bush River or Two Notch. Just sayin'.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT