ADVERTISEMENT

Best SC High School Sports Rivalries

clemsonhater#

Sep 11, 2000
I’m doing research on the best high school sports rivalries in SC. So what are they? Please list the two schools and the classification (1A, 2A, etc)

If you feel like telling me why the rivalry is one of the best, that would be a huge help.

Down here in the lowcountry, one of the longest and deepest is probably Hanahan and BE. By deep I mean they have had their fair share of issues with one another. Both have had success in various sports. Both have floated between 2A and 3A and many times during the same period. Today they are 3A. One private, one public. Both located only a few miles from each other. That just scratches the surface. If you're doing research, this rivalry would be a good one to do going way back.

Last edited:
Reactions: tatertots16
You have to look long and hard to beat the rivalry between the Clover and York football teams ! They are only nine miles apart and have been playing each other for ever !!

I’m doing research on the best high school sports rivalries in SC. So what are they? Please list the two schools and the classification (1A, 2A, etc)

If you feel like telling me why the rivalry is one of the best, that would be a huge help.
You may want to ditch the whole classification thing. Problem is those have changed so much over time. Now there is a 5A and some of the 3A and 4A schools started out as 1A. I just think that will be difficult but it’s your project.

Midlands
Lexington vs Irmo
Airport vs BC
Spring Valley vs Richland Northeast

***This made me realize there are a lot of newer schools in Columbia and I’m probably missing some rivalries that are older here

Upstate
Byrnes vs Gaffney
Dorman vs Spartanburg
Greenville vs Parker
York vs Clover
Hillcrest vs Mauldin
Northwestern vs Rock Hill
Hanna vs Westside
Pickens vs Easley

I don’t know as much about the Pee Dee and the Lowcountry but that’s a pretty good start.

Reactions: larrywilmoth
You may want to ditch the whole classification thing. Problem is those have changed so much over time. Now there is a 5A and some of the 3A and 4A schools started out as 1A. I just think that will be difficult but it’s your project.

Midlands
Lexington vs Irmo
Airport vs BC
Spring Valley vs Richland Northeast

***This made me realize there are a lot of newer schools in Columbia and I’m probably missing some rivalries that are older here

Upstate
Byrnes vs Gaffney
Dorman vs Spartanburg
Greenville vs Parker
York vs Clover
Hillcrest vs Mauldin
Northwestern vs Rock Hill
Hanna vs Westside
Pickens vs Easley

I don’t know as much about the Pee Dee and the Lowcountry but that’s a pretty good start.

Irmo-Lexington isn't near what it once was as Irmo is a complete different school now than it was 20 years ago. Attendance is down there and crime is way up

Irmo-Lexington isn't near what it once was as Irmo is a complete different school now than it was 20 years ago. Attendance is down there and crime is way up
Definitely agree there. And I guess Dutch Fork could be added to the list. They’ve had some success but I still see them as “new” so I figure there would be a lot more to write about Lexington/Irmo instead of Dutch Fork/Irmo or White Knoll/Lexington.

I saw the fight video making the rounds. They better get that place under control. In the mid 1990s, Irmo was where you wanted your kids to go. Not sure that’s the case anymore.

Reactions: Brutal Rooster
I was wondering who Chapin's rival was. I went to Columbia High a long time ago and I do not know who the Capitals rivals were. I thought years ago Summerville and Goose Creek was bitter enemies.
When Chapin was the little school out in the sticks they used to be rivals with Mid Carolina and Newberry.

With the tremendous growth I would probably argue they are building more in county rivalries lately.

Reactions: FCB 2013 treble
When Chapin was the little school out in the sticks they used to be rivals with Mid Carolina and Newberry.

With the tremendous growth I would probably argue they are building more in county rivalries lately.

Chapin-MC is still a huge deal with standing room only crowds. Oldest continually played rivalry in SC. The Lex 1 and other Lex 5 schools have become rivals too along with Flora. The rivalries with Batesburg and Saluda are what died with the school's growth

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT