ADVERTISEMENT

BJ McKie

sclawman77

Jun 27, 2011
I see former players are publicly supporting BJ to be mens bb coach. Risky but interesting hire. I haven't seen BJ in years but grew up playing rec league bb with him at Seven Oaks rec center in Irmo. I graduated with his first cousin Corey (who's same age as BJ) at Dutch Fork and communicate with him on occasion. I know BJ's a loyal Gamecock who's coached at smaller schools. Not sure if he's ready for that type of promotion though.

I see former players are publicly supporting BJ to be mens bb coach. Risky but interesting hire. I haven't seen BJ in years but grew up playing rec league bb with him at Seven Oaks rec center in Irmo. I graduated with his first cousin Corey (who's same age as BJ) at Dutch Fork and communicate with him on occasion. I know BJ's a loyal Gamecock who's coached at smaller schools. Not sure if he's ready for that type of promotion though.
Him being a local boy is what intrigues me. We have to keep kids like GG home (if not GG himself). But BJ doesn't have the HC experience yet. How crucial is that? He's been at some good programs as an assistant. Is Paris that much better / advanced at this point? Yes, I know he's already an HC, but that is at a mid major and does that really make or break a coach?

Business 101; NEVER hire family members. BJ and USC are family and hopefully they won't go in that directions.

Him being a local boy is what intrigues me. We have to keep kids like GG home (if not GG himself). But BJ doesn't have the HC experience yet. How crucial is that? He's been at some good programs as an assistant. Is Paris that much better / advanced at this point? Yes, I know he's already an HC, but that is at a mid major and does that really make or break a coach?
I tend to agree, but as I think about it, NONE of the great Basketball Coaches originally had any "HCing" experience.

BJ isn’t at all qualified for this position. He languished at Charleston Southern for a long time, and it didn’t seem as if he had aspirations beyond that. Getting hooked up with Steve Forbes has been important, and Steve obviously thought enough of him to bring BJ from East Tennessee State to Wake, but with BJ you’re talking about an assistant who is just now finishing up only his second season working for a Power 6 school. This isn’t the Beamer situation, with a guy who had extensive experience working with multiple really successful Power 5 programs.

Id be surprised if it works out and he provides us with a winner. Hope I'm wrong. I see this as no one wants the job and the best we can do is hire someone to at least appease the people.

Reactions: cockofdawn
If us fans get together and buy BJ some great players, he'll succeed. It doesn't matter who we hire if we can get some five star guys here.

Fact is . . . this ^^^^ is true. One can start with Wooden and work your way through lots of fine former and current coaches - good 'shoppers' and 'buyers' if you get my drift.

BJ isn't at all qualified for this position? Wow, it's amazing how you managed to minimize his accomplishments to push your narrative. BJ has paid his dues as an assistant coach for several years. He is currently the Assistant Head Coach at Wake Forest, a school with a more accomplished basketball tradition than ours here at Carolina. He played and won at a high collegiate level, which makes him more than capable of communicating and relating with the high caliber basketball players we want at this University. What else should be required of this man before he can get a chance to interview at his Ala Mater?

Last edited:
I wish we could bring in someone with an identified offensive and defensive system that has proven to work but maybe BJ has his own ideas on such a thing.

I think this would be risky.

Is BJ the top assistant at Wake?

I just see the head job as being so much more than just coaching. There is so much that goes with it- media stuff, community stuff, not being the man recruiting as much one on one but setting the overall recruiting strategy, etc.

I wish we could bring in someone with an identified offensive and defensive system that has proven to work but maybe BJ has his own ideas on such a thing.

I think this would be risky.

Is BJ the top assistant at Wake?

I just see the head job as being so much more than just coaching. There is so much that goes with it- media stuff, community stuff, not being the man recruiting as much one on one but setting the overall recruiting strategy,
Whose to say he doesn't have experience doing those things? The man is working at a P5 school as we speak, he must know how to do something.

Business 101; NEVER hire family members. BJ and USC are family and hopefully they won't go in that directions.
So, UNC shouldn't have hired Roy Williams? There are exceptions to every rule. Personally, I think hiring BJ would be a crapshoot, but we have tried everything else. We have tried the experienced coach from a Power 5 and failed. We have gone the Mid-major route and failed. So, trying a different profile by going the career assistant route is not that bad a move considering our history. I think BJ being a local product and graduate would override that lack of experience to a degree.

I would ask this question: would he be an option if he never went to school here? If not, he shouldn't be an option simply because he went to school here.

I didn't see USC targeting any other high-major assistants for this one. And there's a reason for that.

Is he on anyone else’s list for any other jobs on any level?

Reactions: Scooter2001
Heath brought out a point. Georgetown is in a position where they may have to fire their greatest player of all time that led them to a NC.

I would ask this question: would he be an option if he never went to school here? If not, he shouldn't be an option simply because he went to school here.

I didn't see USC targeting any other high-major assistants for this one. And there's a reason for that.

I think there are other reasons. I really don't want to get into some of them because of their highly controversial nature. However, recruiting is an area where I think McKie will help. I, also, think he will help in getting former players involved. Two of his teammates run good high school programs in this state. One won a state championship last year. Another, played for a state championship this year. The one that played in a state championship this year has two players with Power 5 offers but we have barely looked at them. That type of stuff won't happen with McKie here as head coach. I'm pretty confident in saying that. Getting proven coaches have not worked for us. The main reason for that is that they usually come in with no connection to the area and USC is not a strong enough brand to bring in national recruits. That's probably the reason Sean Miller turned us down. So, we probably have to build our program with local and regional recruits. So, I don't see a better way of doing that other than bringing in a coach with local ties even if that coach doesn't have head coaching experience.

Not sure how risky it is. We haven't done anything in years and fan expectations are pretty low. If you don't have a homerun hire, why not? Just keep the contract terms light in case you have to pivot.
Agree. It looks like whoever we hire at this point is going to a gamble. I attended HS with BJ at Irmo and he was an impressive guy on/off the court and had a true passion for the game. He saw a bunch of different styles of play during his professional career and has been moving up the rankings in the coaching circuit. He might not be on many "hot coaches' clickbait lists yet, but there's a good chance it's coming.

One difference between hiring him and any other high-major assistant is that he does have solid relationships throughout SC. We've been missing out on far too many good in state players and he might be a difference maker in that regard. And as you mentioned, we should be able to get favorable contract terms by not chasing flavor of the month candidates.

Last edited:
Heath brought out a point. Georgetown is in a position where they may have to fire their greatest player of all time that led them to a NC.
Georgetown has already come out and said they are sticking with Ewing at least for next year. If they fired him, that is part of the business, coaches know that.

Of course he’s not on anyone else’s list. If BJ sticks with Forbes and they have success at Wake, then maybe two, three, four years from now he could be in the conversation for a good mid-major head job. It’s nice that Carolina gave him an interview, in the middle of the Miller fiasco, to give him some cred and experience, but hiring him to run your program at this point in his career would be instantly. Especially when you have Matt McMahon, Lamont Paris, Chris Mack, Bob Ritchie, Pat Kelsey, Mark Turgeon, Mark Pope, etc., etc., still available and interested at the right number.

But who can say. Tanner has already screwed up and missed on guys like Tang and Gates, among others.

BJ isn't at all qualified for this position? Wow, it's amazing how you managed to minimize his accomplishments to push your narrative. BJ has paid his dues as an assistant coach for several years. He is currently the Assistant Head Coach at Wake Forest, a school with a more accomplished basketball tradition than ours here at Carolina. He played and won at a high collegiate level, which makes him more than capable of communicating and relating with the high caliber basketball players we want at this University. What else should be required of this man before he can get a chance to interview at his Ala Mater.

What exactly is an Ala Mater?

Of course he’s not on anyone else’s list. If BJ sticks with Forbes and they have success at Wake, then maybe two, three, four years from now he could be in the conversation for a good mid-major head job. It’s nice that Carolina gave him an interview, in the middle of the Miller fiasco, to give him some cred and experience, but hiring him to run your program at this point in his career would be instantly. Especially when you have Matt McMahon, Lamont Paris, Chris Mack, Bob Ritchie, Pat Kelsey, Mark Turgeon, Mark Pope, etc., etc., still available and interested at the right number.

But who can say. Tanner has already screwed up and missed on guys like Tang and Gates, among others.
McMahon just got booted out of the tournament by a coach with a .529 overall record that has only been coaching four years and has never won a regular season conference championship in the MAAC. Lamont Paris has no local ties. What makes him different than the coach we just fired. Richey has never won the SoCon and just lost to Paris for the regular season and tournament titles. Pat Kelsey just finished 6th in the Colonial Conference. Chris Mack just had a player mutiny before being fired at Louisville. Out of your list, there are no real standouts besides Mark Turgeon and he just quit on a program that has a far richer history than ours. I think just exploring the proven coach route doesn't recognize where we are as a program. We have low interest amongst alumni, low interest from the local commuity. I think those issues need to be solved before we even think about winning.

Who do you see in that group of current candidates that's a significantly less risky option than BJ? I get what you're saying from a PR standpoint, but walk down that current list. Environment matters a great deal. Pulling McMahon out of the Ohio Valley into the SEC looks very similar to a Darrin Horn hire. He could turn out great but if you're placing bets on future success, he's as much of a crapshoot as the others. Lamont Paris has an overall record of .575 at Chattanooga. He's had a good two years but would you rank him considerably ahead of McKie in terms of odds of future success in the SEC? You're also going to pay millions more, have a greater buyout and likely a longer contract.

I'd prefer a candidate with deeper relationships in the region. The periods of our prior success revolved around getting a standout player or two from the area and building around them.

Who do you see in that group of current candidates that's a significantly less risky option than BJ? I get what you're saying from a PR standpoint, but walk down that current list. Environment matters a great deal. Pulling McMahon out of the Ohio Valley into the SEC looks very similar to a Darrin Horn hire. He could turn out great but if you're placing bets on future success, he's as much of a crapshoot as the others. Lamont Paris has an overall record of .575 at Chattanooga. He's had a good two years but would you rank him considerably ahead of McKie in terms of odds of future success in the SEC? You're also going to pay millions more, have a greater buyout and likely a longer contract.

I'd prefer a candidate with deeper relationships in the region. The periods of our prior success revolved around getting a standout player or two from the area and building around them.
That's exactly the same with me, and you, Adcoop and Paleo have argued for BJ eloquently above. I don't get excited about any of the other candidates. Not one bit. And as Adcoop said, we have already tried everything else: young up and coming mid-major coach, re-tread of a successful ACC coach, re-tread of a Big 12 coach. Before Martin, who seemed to catch lightning in a bottle for one magical Final Four run, we had a run with Fogler, but that fizzled out too. Why not give one of our own the opportunity? At least with BJ you know he will bleed garnet and black with us every game. One of our biggest failures is keeping SC talent at home. How much more effective is it to hear a pitch to stay home from someone who did so himself.

That's exactly the same with me, and you, Adcoop and Paleo have argued for BJ eloquently above. I don't get excited about any of the other candidates. Not one bit. And as Adcoop said, we have already tried everything else: young up and coming mid-major coach, re-tread of a successful ACC coach, re-tread of a Big 12 coach. Before Martin, who seemed to catch lightning in a bottle for one magical Final Four run, we had a run with Fogler, but that fizzled out too. Why not give one of our own the opportunity? At least with BJ you know he will bleed garnet and black with us every game. One of our biggest failures is keeping SC talent at home. How much more effective is it to hear a pitch to stay home from someone who did so himself.
If the team wins, people are going to get excited about the program. People aren’t going to back a loser, even if BJ is the coach. Guy gets two or three years to learn on the job and is either getting extended or fired.

BJ wasn’t on anyone’s radar as a head coach until about two weeks ago. He is hugely under qualified compared to someone like Matt McMahon. If Matt McMahon, the guy who can hand recruits off Ja Morant and has been to the tournament three times as a head coach, is a risky pick then McKie is off the freaking charts risky. Hope isn’t a strategy. Bring in the best candidate who wants the job. I’m not sure BJ would even be in the top 10, if we’re being honest and just looking at resumes.

I get it with BJ. But it is a hope and a prayer. Only been a Power 5 assistant for two years. Nobody has a clue if he is a HC or not. It's a joke folks

If the team wins, people are going to get excited about the program. People aren’t going to back a loser, even if BJ is the coach. Guy gets two or three years to learn on the job and is either getting extended or fired.

BJ wasn’t on anyone’s radar as a head coach until about two weeks ago. He is hugely under qualified compared to someone like Matt McMahon. If Matt McMahon, the guy who can hand recruits off Ja Morant and has been to the tournament three times as a head coach, is a risky pick then McKie is off the freaking charts risky. Hope isn’t a strategy. Bring in the best candidate who wants the job. I’m not sure BJ would even be in the top 10, if we’re being honest and just looking at resumes.
This is the argument to go with the proven coach and historically it's never worked and we end up doing the same thing 5-6 years later. The only reason it took 10 years with Martin is the Four Run that gave him a little more runway. However, I live in this community. Frequent the Barber Shops. Nobody cares and nobody believes in us. They think USC always does the same old thing and always ends up losing. Matt McMahon is Darrin Horn all over again. I do have confidence that he would scout the local talent better, but he changes none of our dynamics. I don't think you can win consistently without top-notch talent in the SEC. Kentucky is top-shelf brand that gets what they want of the top recruits. Auburn is going to do what is necessary to get top recruits especially in the Atlanta area with Bruce Pearl. Florida is national brand that have won national championships. Musselman is recruiting really well at Arkansas. Texas is coming into the conference with a top-notch coach and fertile recruiting territory. What can South Carolina do to make itself a special place. Getting some coach with a .600 record and a NCAA tournament victory or two will not make us stand out amongst the environment that we are in. We go this proven coach route and we will mostly hover at this 6-12 to 10-8 in the conference, constantly miss the dance and repeat the same process down the road. I am willing to fail miserably than constantly play it safe and stay mediocre.

Last edited:
Reactions: taiwancock
We have tried and mismanaged, again, the hiring process. IMO Ray does not need to make another hire at this university again. We cannot recognize this pattern as normal or acceptable. Ray needs to go.

Reactions: sclawman77
We have tried and mismanaged, again, the hiring process. IMO Ray does not need to make another hire at this university again. We cannot recognize this pattern as normal or acceptable. Ray needs to go.
Common theme. Ray botching a coaching search or hire or unnecessary extension. Never held accountable.

Reminds me of a young Brad Underwood. Granted Underwood spent a few seasons at Stephen F. Austin before going to Okie State for a year. But Underwood wasn't on anyone's radar either.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
You won't know that for 3-4 years. Y'all would have completely freaked out if we had hired Golden from San Francisco...who record there was not very impressive.

You won't know that for 3-4 years. Y'all would have completely freaked out if we had hired Golden from San Francisco...who record there was not very impressive.
I am speaking to the process. What an utter embarrassment this has been. So were our football hirings. Add to this that all of his hires have largely flopped, particularly in baseball. He left it the #1 program in the country not long ago. Look where it is now?

I am speaking to the process. What an utter embarrassment this has been. So were our football hirings. Add to this that all of his hires have largely flopped, particularly in baseball. He left it the #1 program in the country not long ago. Look where it is now?
How has it been an embarrassment? Out athletic department has made no public statement about the search or who they were looking at. Most of it was speculation by reporters and bloggers. No shame in losing Miller to Xavier, a much, much better program and one he is very familiar with. That's the ONLY one we are relatively sure about. This is nothing like Tennessee's searches have been....nothing.

EDIT: I'll give you that the baseball hires have been disappointing, but there is no school that wouldn't have hired Holbrook as some were coming after him when he was an assistant here. Hard to know who can make the step-up from great assistant to great coach. Kingston needs to find a way to turn it around fast.....he wasn't my preference.....Lemonis was but he was criticized for coaching in the B1G and not the SEC.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT