ADVERTISEMENT

Bobby Bentley’s HPO. High Powered Offense

Poultry King

Sep 15, 2008
is a great model for us. We need to spread people sideline to sideline And end zone to end zone. Then run in the space created. Like Kendal Briles.

I just don’t know if Champ wants to potentially hitch his career to someone who’s never called a major college game.

Reactions: Brace1
is a great model for us. We need to spread people sideline to sideline And end zone to end zone. Then run in the space created. Like Kendal Briles.

I just don’t know if Champ wants to potentially hitch his career to someone who’s never called a major college game.
Do you remember Bentley’s “success” at Div II PC? 10-13? HS Boy Wonder. Much like Jake.

Do you remember Bentley’s “success” at Div II PC? 10-13? HS Boy Wonder. Much like Jake.
While 'twasn't aimed at me, I'll openly admit that I haven't the slightest clue, muchless "recollection"!! Care to enlighten those of us that are guilty of such blissful ignorance??!??

TIA!!!

I don’t think PC won a single game in 2009 the year after he left. 0-11 or 0-10 how ever many games they played. So winning 10 games in 2 years prior maybe not be too shabby. Who knows

http://www.gobluehose.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=1152409
No one is asking him to be the hc....just know that the man knows offense...
All those "breaking school records" sounds like Roper at Duke....his bio reads the same. Problem is PC was worse in year 2 of his tenure. And their is nothing special or innovative about his offense....it is a basic HS spread offense. He is not another Malzahn...or Morris for that matter.

Reactions: joebuckusc
All those "breaking school records" sounds like Roper at Duke....his bio reads the same. Problem is PC was worse in year 2 of his tenure. And their is nothing special or innovative about his offense....it is a basic HS spread offense. He is not another Malzahn...or Morris for that matter.
Oh roper had qbs at duke throwing for over 600 yards in a game..had duke at 3rd in total offense...lol....yep nothing special about that...smh..

Reactions: Godfather4CU
Whether it’s Bentley or Lashlee or Briles or whoever ....
We MUST bring a scheme that spreads sideline to sideline and end zone to end zone.
We will never recruit the OL consistently to match CU UGA UF etc. if we can’t out man them...we must scheme the talent differential away.
Briles’ style of O does that. It creates space and gets our OL in 5 on 4-5 blocking assignments

The veer was a succesful offense for teams that didnt have a strong line. Bobby Bowden got his career jump started using it

I don’t think PC won a single game in 2009 the year after he left. 0-11 or 0-10 how ever many games they played. So winning 10 games in 2 years prior maybe not be too shabby. Who knows

Well it was PC after all. Should never be in D1 in the first place. Awful facilities. Basically sacrificial lambs of big schools .... all about the $$$

Bobby Bentley, was not a bad coach at the college level. But coaching the Blue Hoes was like a successful retail manager trying to run a Kmart. Presbyterian refused to put money into the program, and the AD there was nothing but a puppet! It's hard to build a program anywhere, when you have no support from those at the top. I don't care how good of a coach you are. Nick Sabin would of failed at PC-just look at the records after Bentley left.

They held on to Harold Nichols in Clinton for 8 years after Bentley and he never won more than 6 games.

2009 Presbyterian 0–11 0–6 Ineligible
2010 Presbyterian 2–9 1–5 7th
2011 Presbyterian 4–7 3–3 T–3rd
2012 Presbyterian 2–9 0–6 7th
2013 Presbyterian 3–8 1–4 T–5th
2014 Presbyterian 6–5 3–2 T–3rd
2015 Presbyterian 2–9 1–5 7th
2016 Presbyterian 2–9 1–4 5th
Presbyterian: 21–67 10–34
Total: 21–67
This guy is who Presbyterian "hired" after Bentley left. Do that look like a program that gives a shizz. They let him stay their coach for "8 years" with those pitiful results, and they was gonna do the same thing to Bobby Bentley but he got the heck outta there! Can't blame him.

This is true.
Wasn't PC just starting their football program with Bentley being their first HC? Some people might not know that, and a lot of start up programs take years and years to build, many going winless for long stretches.

This is true.
Wasn't PC just starting their football program with Bentley being their first HC? Some people might not know that, and a lot of start up programs take years and years to build, many going winless for long stretches.
Not starting. PC played Newberry for the Bronze Derby for many, many years. They were moving up a division when Bentley was coach.

Reactions: Brace1
Rogue, your posts always seem to have a personal bias against Bentley and you always posted support and argued for Roper, until right here at the end when he was canned. Maybe your opinion of Bentley could be wrong as well.

Rogue, your posts always seem to have a personal bias against Bentley and you always posted support and argued for Roper, until right here at the end when he was canned. Maybe your opinion of Bentley could be wrong as well.
Just what I've heard from HS coaches who coached against him and with him. He is not highly respected among his contemporaries unlike other even more successful coaches. Some of the things I heard were third hand through friends who work with or know those coaches, some were first hand. Never heard much good about him. So, yes, I guess there is a bias built up over the years. I wasn't happy when we hired him....especially for the reason we supposedly hired him.

As a coach, you could do a lot worse than Bobby Bentley. However, I'm not sure I would want my OC to have his son as his QB. Seems like it would be a conflict of interest. But Bentley in 2 years? Yes.

Just what I've heard from HS coaches who coached against him and with him. He is not highly respected among his contemporaries unlike other even more successful coaches. Some of the things I heard were third hand through friends who work with or know those coaches, some were first hand. Never heard much good about him. So, yes, I guess there is a bias built up over the years. I wasn't happy when we hired him....especially for the reason we supposedly hired him.
Oh you better believe they respect him! They may not like him, but that's because he beat the brakes off of them, for many, many years. People are jealous of success especially at the level that Bentley attained!

Reactions: Nashvillecock615
Doesnt tell the whole story. He got no support at PC from the admin. Thats why he left. He knew he couldnt win there and surprisingly took the high road when he left. His offenses were pretty dang good there, broke records if Im not mistaken. I dont know if he's the answer or not but PC isnt a good barometer.

Oh you better believe they respect him! They may not like him, but that's because he beat the brakes off of them, for many, many years. People are jealous of success especially at the level that Bentley attained!
LOL. Then Gutshall and Miller and others should be disliked more as they have won more and are more dominating....and they are not. Both are highly respected. Bentley is way down the list of top HS coaches in this state. Your answer also does not address the fact that many of those who coached with him do not like him or respect him. Your answer is the old Byrnes' fan canned reply....which does not hold water.

Doesnt tell the whole story. He got no support at PC from the admin. Thats why he left. He knew he couldnt win there and surprisingly took the high road when he left. His offenses were pretty dang good there, broke records if Im not mistaken. I dont know if he's the answer or not but PC isnt a good barometer.
His offenses broke school records in passing yards and total yards, but like many, if not most of those old NAIA teams like Newberry, for most of their history PC was a run first team...old school triple option, veer, etc..

LOL. Then Gutshall and Miller and others should be disliked more as they have won more and are more dominating....and they are not. Both are highly respected. Bentley is way down the list of top HS coaches in this state. Your answer also does not address the fact that many of those who coached with him do not like him or respect him. Your answer is the old Byrnes' fan canned reply....which does not hold water.
Gutshall has 2 state titles at Dorman and Chris Miller had 1 at Broome, before he was handed the keys to a Cadillac at Byrnes high school, where he won 3 more titles, coming off of what Bentley built! Miller has one more title he's won at Spartanburg, by running the system he learned under Bobby Bentley at Byrnes! The man won 4 straight titles, and would've won (many more) if he would've stayed on the high school level. He took Byrnes to heights no other school, can claim from this state; South Point is getting there but not on the same wavelength. Gutshall is a good coach, as well as Chris Miller, but they are not as good as Bentley!

I can't believe people are lobbying for Bentley as OC while his son is a QB here. Especially after all the bitching about nepotism at USC.
If ya'll want to know about Bentleys ability to win football games, ask Marcus Lattimore! Or any of
The HS coaches, nation wide, that took an asskicking at the hands of Byrnes HS. Hell, he won
5 state championships in a row. I gaurentee you his stats were better than Morris's as a HS
coach!! If had remained at Byrnes, he would have broken all of McKissect's records
at Summerville.

Gutshall has 2 state titles at Dorman and Chris Miller had 1 at Broome, before he was handed the keys to a Cadillac at Byrnes high school, where he won 3 more titles, coming off of what Bentley built! Miller has one more title he's won at Spartanburg, by running the system he learned under Bobby Bentley at Byrnes! The man won 4 straight titles, and would've won (many more) if he would've stayed on the high school level. He took Byrnes to heights no other school, can claim from this state; South Point is getting there but not on the same wavelength. Gutshall is a good coach, as well as Chris Miller, but they are not as good as Bentley!
Disagree. They didn't recruit like Bentley.

I know you didn't say that Gutshall and Miller was more dominant then Bentley! :):eek::D I can list scores here and embarrass you for telling that lie! Byrnes had to go out of state to get games, because no one would play them outside of conference. Greer ended their series with Byrnes because of Bentley. John McKissick Wouldn't schedule Summerville against Byrnes because of Bentley! He said that to USA Today bro, so come real with facts or don't come at all! Your bias against Bentley is personal, and that's straight up!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT