ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon Mcilwain

Soul Biscuit

Jun 12, 2014
Seriously.... what is the excuse for Rivals dropping him to a 3*? I'm far from a conspiracy theorist but this absolutely reeks. He was a 4* who is currently killing it at camps, making elite 11, etc. and he drops?? What the heck?? Makes no sense. You actually show up to camps and win MVP's and you get downgraded. What in the world is the drop based on? What was the original 4* star ranking based on? Hogwash.

I've always said this star rating stuff is shaky. If a player is good enough to be recruited by several D1 programs why label him? You can't measure heart. It's all about recruiting rankings and other nonsense.

Since I'm a moderator now in the Rivals network I have been given inside information on the issue. The information I have been given is that.....you're paranoid. ;)

Reactions: CaliCock
I agree with Jimnasium on this one. Look at what schools a player has offers from. This is a very good indication of a his worth. If he gets offers from a ton of big name schools that says more to me than a recruiting ranking.

At the same time, there is no reason for McIlwain to be anything less than a 4 star after winning MVP honors at the Elite 11 camp. I would imagine they will bump him back up to a 4 star now.

Just repeating what Chris has already said. McIlwain was a part of a rivals camp several weeks ago and failed to impress that day when all eyes of Rivals were on him. Chris was not there and is not sure what exactly went wrong that day. Hence, the drop in ratings now. McIIwain has since redeemed himself at the Elite 11 camp but nobody from Rivals was there to watch. Rivals had there own QB camp this past weekend and did not have a representative at the Elite 11 camp.
How did I do Chris?

Seriously.... what is the excuse for Rivals dropping him to a 3*? I'm far from a conspiracy theorist but this absolutely reeks. He was a 4* who is currently killing it at camps, making elite 11, etc. and he drops?? What the heck?? Makes no sense. You actually show up to camps and win MVP's and you get downgraded. What in the world is the drop based on? What was the original 4* star ranking based on? Hogwash.
Doesn't matter. Proof will be in the playing, not the rating. I'm sure the kid isn't focused on his rating.

Reactions: rpp2001
Just repeating what Chris has already said. McIlwain was a part of a rivals camp several weeks ago and failed to impress that day when all eyes of Rivals were on him. Chris was not there and is not sure what exactly went wrong that day. Hence, the drop in ratings now. McIIwain has since redeemed himself at the Elite 11 camp but nobody from Rivals was there to watch. Rivals had there own QB camp this past weekend and did not have a representative at the Elite 11 camp.
How did I do Chris?

Sounds about right except I think the thing that Rivals had this past weekend (The Five Star Challenge or something like that) was not just a QB camp. If it wasn then it wasn't well attended. At the very least, all of the top 8 ranked QB's in the country as ranked by Rivals (also the only ones they have in their top 100 overall player rankings) were ALL at the Elite 11 regional with McIlwain and 21 more QB's.

He is listed at 6 feet, 188 pounds on the Rivals commitment list (this site). Another site had him at 5'11''.

He is listed at 6 feet, 188 pounds on the Rivals commitment list (this site). Another site had him at 5'11''.

Sounds right. That's why he keeps being compared to Russell Wilson. If he was 6'2 there wouldn't be that comparison.

Not all three stars pan out. But he is one of the cases where I would much rather have have a '3 star' with his mental makeup than a 5 star who doesn't have a great work ethic. He seems to have the attitude and work ethic to be a success.

Reactions: cockgun
How did I do Chris?

I'm not sure how much say Chris has anyway. The last I heard there was no one from GCC that was on the crew, committee, whatever that sets the rankings.
For some reason Rivals keeps it hush, hush.
Probably a good move for them, imho.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT