ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Buscher out per The Huddle on ESPN-Upstate radio.****

you don't see these type of moves with top 10 teams during the season
Agreed. Timing is strange. Could be basketball has shown us the difference between good and great is offense.

Maybe something they have wanted to do but didn't want the distraction and basketball gave them the opportunity to do it when no one is paying any attention.

Reactions: IrmoRed
wonder how Holbrook will spin this? "philosophical differences" or "other opportunities for Brian"

Gotta think there aren't a lot of replacements available right now. Will we wing it? Can't hardly wait to hear what happens now.

I loved Brian as a player for us. He was one of the better hitters we've ever had. It would be an understatement, however, to say we have struggled offensively for a while now.

This team is at or near the bottom of almost every major offensive category in the SEC. Change needs to be made somewhere because we are just not getting it done. We need a whole new philosophy on offense in my opinion. This team has too much talent to continue to struggle like we have.

Remember, it was not a paid position, so it could be something as simple as he realized he needed to move onto a paying position off the diamond. He does have 3 kids to support.
They made it sound as though he was doing pretty well through other sources related to his position....camps, etc. Remember, the only one who can't pay him is the school itself. That does not count any other group/organization tangentially related to the school.

Also said per their sources, it had nothing to do with a "off the field" issue.

Are you kidding me?!?!? He wasn't getting paid and he has a facility to support...

That's not right...
Yeah we should have been paying the guy something.

It's called "volunteer coach" for a reason.
No wonder we can't hit. We've got a volunteer teaching these guys. How committed to teaching can you really be when you aren't even being financially compensated? I'm a lowly intern at an insurance agency and I get paid at least something.

Last edited:
The truth will come out eventually and it will not be a good look for Chad. Hard to be the "hitting coach" when you aren't allowed to be the hitting coach. USC lost a good one. Don't believe me? Ask the players. I heard Buscher told CH to quit acting like a whiny baby in the dugout and so came the "philosophical differences ".

No wonder we can't hit. We've got a volunteer teaching these guys. How committed to teaching can you really be when you aren't even being financially compensated? I'm a lowly intern at an insurance agency and I get paid at least something.

I know lots of people who volunteer as coaches for baseball, basketball, soccer, etc. It's usually because their kids are playing but they aren't getting paid for it.

I know a college team is a different story but a lot of times it's a case of getting your foot in the door. Maybe he wants to coach some day so what's wrong with starting out as a volunteer coach? Great way to learn what it's like while getting your name out there.

GO COCKS!!!

You are allowed only so many paid coach positions just as you are allowed only so many scholarships. Most every baseball program has a volunteer coach. Its not that the school doesn't want to pay them, they arent allowed to.

Reactions: GamecockJL
The truth will come out eventually and it will not be a good look for Chad. Hard to be the "hitting coach" when you aren't allowed to be the hitting coach. USC lost a good one. Don't believe me? Ask the players. I heard Buscher told CH to quit acting like a whiny baby in the dugout and so came the "philosophical differences ".

You are allowed only so many paid coach positions just as you are allowed only so many scholarships. Most every baseball program has a volunteer coach. Its not that the school doesn't want to pay them, they arent allowed to.
But they have other ways of getting them paid other than the school paying them. They are unpaid by the university, but they are not unpaid.

Reactions: Cybercock
I loved Brian as a player for us. He was one of the better hitters we've ever had. It would be an understatement, however, to say we have struggled offensively for a while now.

This team is at or near the bottom of almost every major offensive category in the SEC. Change needs to be made somewhere because we are just not getting it done. We need a whole new philosophy on offense in my opinion. This team has too much talent to continue to struggle like we have.
Being able to do it and being able to teach it are two very different and unlinked things. Look, for example, at the best pro golf teachers. None of them could win on tour, but they can teach.

Being able to do it and being able to teach it are two very different and unlinked things. Look, for example, at the best pro golf teachers. None of them could win on tour, but they can teach.
This! ^

I was a pretty decent and successful high school pitcher. However, I found it difficult to teach. I was just able to do it.
I'm not putting myself on a D1 level by any means but simply agreeing with the premise.

cant say I'm sad to see Buscher exit. Our whole hitting philosophy has been strange the last few years with
not many players becoming better hitters while at SC....Well except Gene Cone, who of course hung the moon.
Which reminds me, I think he taught Sin how to dribble.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT