ADVERTISEMENT

Bristol Motor Speedway Transformation

So does Performance Racing Network (PRN) have the exclusive radio rights to this as well?

Only the NASCAR guys will get that.

i know their selling alcohol....i read they bought over a half million beers.....thats alot of cervezas.....expected attendance of around 150,000 people....hopefully all the rednecks behave

There were 58 thousand fans at Bristol last nite for the Kenny Chesney concert....my nephew and his girlfriend, both UT grads are going to the game...he paid $300 a piece for those 2 tix.....I saw the tickets last nite and they are awesome, laminated and cool designs....

Because of traffic, they are asking people to take the shuttle from East Tennessee State Univ.....people who drive up must wait for all the shuttles to leave first after the game....I think they've got this down to a science, the traffic flow...

Did I hear correct that some people are going to have couches on the sidelines?

From the Battle at Bristol website:

"The largest college football game in history is expected to exceed the current record for largest attendance (115,109 spectators, which was set at Michigan Stadium for Michigan-Notre Dame in 2013). The Virginia Tech will take on the Tennessee on September 10, 2016 at their halfway point—Bristol Motor Speedway."

"The Virginia Tech" and "the Tennessee?" Apparently Bristol has foreigners writing copy for their website. Reminds me of the time Obama tried to convince us he's familiar with guns by telling us he shoots "the skeet" at Camp David regularly.

You will need some powerful binoculars to see anything on the field. Bristol is too small for a decent NASCAR race and way too big for football. Wouldn't buy a ticket for either.
Its too big for a football game yes but with Colossus in the middle you can watch it and be a part of History. As for the too small for racing comment, its absolutely the PERFECT size. Best race in NASCAR

Reactions: HartsvilleRedCock
So does Performance Racing Network (PRN) have the exclusive radio rights to this as well?

Only the NASCAR guys will get that.
lol. Yep its a Speedway Motorsports Facility.

Its too big for a football game yes but with Colossus in the middle you can watch it and be a part of History. As for the too small for racing comment, its absolutely the PERFECT size. Best race in NASCAR

We all have our thoughts on this but I started watching pre NASCAR in the 40's when we had Fords, Chevies, Pontiacs, Buicks, Dodges, Plymouths, Mercs and many more on the tracks. They were actually different cars and not just different decals and the drivers were not cut from corporate cookies. Every minute detail of the cars is prescribed in the "rules" which the NASCAR gods manipulate at will. What NASCAR has now is a package designed to titillate some crowds but they have lost the following of me and the old fans. Glad you like Bristol but I just can't get into attraction of what it offers.

We all have our thoughts on this but I started watching pre NASCAR in the 40's when we had Fords, Chevies, Pontiacs, Buicks, Dodges, Plymouths, Mercs and many more on the tracks. They were actually different cars and not just different decals and the drivers were not cut from corporate cookies. Every minute detail of the cars is prescribed in the "rules" which the NASCAR gods manipulate at will. What NASCAR has now is a package designed to titillate some crowds but they have lost the following of me and the old fans. Glad you like Bristol but I just can't get into attraction of what it offers.
I've been working on NASCAR team for over 25 years. Yes we had the different body styles but with that it brought constant whining by which ever manufacturer was being outrun by the other, not to mention the logistics of having body templates for every car that comes thru tech. Racing has to have a governing branch or the shear cost that some teams could run up would run everyone else out of business. Its not as simple and cut and dried as it seems. As for Bristol, its still the best track in NASCAR, sounds like you like the one grove Bristol where you had to knock somebody out of the way, I understand that and I enjoyed it too but watching them run 3 wide sometimes now is just as good to me.

50 yard line front row seat = midway upper deck view. Senseless except for the pomp, which is the purpose I suppose.

Reactions: gamecock ed
I've been working on NASCAR team for over 25 years. Yes we had the different body styles but with that it brought constant whining by which ever manufacturer was being outrun by the other, not to mention the logistics of having body templates for every car that comes thru tech. Racing has to have a governing branch or the shear cost that some teams could run up would run everyone else out of business. Its not as simple and cut and dried as it seems. As for Bristol, its still the best track in NASCAR, sounds like you like the one grove Bristol where you had to knock somebody out of the way, I understand that and I enjoyed it too but watching them run 3 wide sometimes now is just as good to me.

Not to belabor the point but your 25 years does not get back to the time when the cars were different and there were no templates. I thought the one groove Bristol was even worse than today's track. I watched Junior Johnson drive and win around Bowman Gray Football Stadium in Winston Salem but the extremely short track was flat and more interesting than Bristol. Not a good comparison as there were not 43 cars trying to fit there. Different strokes but I find the current races, especially the last wreck insured laps to be not only bad racing but very unfair as so many good cars get knocked out due to the system and not their fault. Can't say more as I don't watch much anymore.

Not to belabor the point but your 25 years does not get back to the time when the cars were different and there were no templates. I thought the one groove Bristol was even worse than today's track. I watched Junior Johnson drive and win around Bowman Gray Football Stadium in Winston Salem but the extremely short track was flat and more interesting than Bristol. Not a good comparison as there were not 43 cars trying to fit there. Different strokes but I find the current races, especially the last wreck insured laps to be not only bad racing but very unfair as so many good cars get knocked out due to the system and not their fault. Can't say more as I don't watch much anymore.
Yes I know but the point was to let the fellow poster know that having different body styles isnt a good idea anymore. So you thought the one groove Bristol was worse yet you think a modified Football stadium is more interesting? Odd because Bowman Gray is called the madhouse for a reason and thats because you have to almost wreck somebody to pass them.

Yes I know but the point was to let the fellow poster know that having different body styles isnt a good idea anymore. So you thought the one groove Bristol was worse yet you think a modified Football stadium is more interesting? Odd because Bowman Gray is called the madhouse for a reason and thats because you have to almost wreck somebody to pass them.

Didn't say Bowman Gray was a good track as it was far from anything a real race course should be. It was interesting because it was so different. It absolutely did favor drivers that were aggressive and did not mind the bumps. Speeds were low enough that, even without modern safety features, drivers were probably not as much in danger as they are now.

Have to disagree about different body styles being a bad idea. Look at Grand Prix or even formula racing. They have many more differences between cars styles as well as more latitude in the mechanicals, and still have racing that attracts their fans. How much fun would football be if every players had to weigh the same, measure the same in minute detail, wear identical gear, eat the same food, etc, etc. That is NASCAR and it has become boring.

Reactions: bmull08
Didn't say Bowman Gray was a good track as it was far from anything a real race course should be. It was interesting because it was so different. It absolutely did favor drivers that were aggressive and did not mind the bumps. Speeds were low enough that, even without modern safety features, drivers were probably not as much in danger as they are now.

Have to disagree about different body styles being a bad idea. Look at Grand Prix or even formula racing. They have many more differences between cars styles as well as more latitude in the mechanicals, and still have racing that attracts their fans. How much fun would football be if every players had to weigh the same, measure the same in minute detail, wear identical gear, eat the same food, etc, etc. That is NASCAR and it has become boring.
I suppose you liked in back in the day when the winner won by 2 laps or more? A common body template doesnt change the fact that they can run different shock,spring,upper and lower control arms,track bar settings etc so your argument that they are all the same is wrong. Period. Todays racing is miles better then the old days. You are hung up on stuff that doesnt matter.

USC 1 what does matter is that NASCAR is becoming irrelevant to many because the product looks smells and tastes the same for the majority of the old fans and new fans would rather play video games that they control than watch this version of "racing"! You got to have the good and bad guys for people to pull for or against. I only follow the NFL now cause I want to watch Cam Newton get the snot knocked out of him, but I do watch it.

USC 1 what does matter is that NASCAR is becoming irrelevant to many because the product looks smells and tastes the same for the majority of the old fans and new fans would rather play video games that they control than watch this version of "racing"! You got to have the good and bad guys for people to pull for or against. I only follow the NFL now cause I want to watch Cam Newton get the snot knocked out of him, but I do watch it.
I dont understand the question. What do you mean it looks and smells and tastes the same? Before I became a player in NASCAR I was a fan since the mid 70's and dont get caught up in rules or rule changes. Its racing, unless you have to turn a wrench it doesnt matter.

I suppose you liked in back in the day when the winner won by 2 laps or more? A common body template doesnt change the fact that they can run different shock,spring,upper and lower control arms,track bar settings etc so your argument that they are all the same is wrong. Period. Todays racing is miles better then the old days. You are hung up on stuff that doesnt matter.

I have some further pertinent comments about your post, but since you have decided to turn the conversation into insults to anyone who has a different opinion than yours, I am gone and you may have the microphone.

I have some further pertinent comments about your post, but since you have decided to turn the conversation into insults to anyone who has a different opinion than yours, I am gone and you may have the microphone.
Insults? Where? Good lord you people are so thin skinned lol. What happened is I killed your argument so you played the "insult" card for whatever reason.

they should have a race and a football game at the same time!!!!.....ratings thru the roof....lol

Reactions: king ward
But it looks to me like Darlington can at least fill its seats. Right of wrong?
Bristol was full for the night race this year. Unfortunately it rained it out and they had to run it on sunday and a lot of people had to go home.

Bristol was full for the night race this year. Unfortunately it rained it out and they had to run it on sunday and a lot of people had to go home.
But is it not true that, in recent years, very few Nascar races have been sell-outs, and that includes Bristol? I see lots of empty seats - and seats covered with advertising tarps - at almost every race I watch.

But is it not true that, in recent years, very few Nascar races have been sell-outs, and that includes Bristol? I see lots of empty seats - and seats covered with advertising tarps - at almost every race I watch.
Yes and there are several reasons for it. But even with the empty seats you are seeing attendances that are around 80-90 thousand. Stands were over built during the NASCAR boom in the mid 2000's so now they are having to scale back.

Yes and there are several reasons for it. But even with the empty seats you are seeing attendances that are around 80-90 thousand. Stands were over built during the NASCAR boom in the mid 2000's so now they are having to scale back.
I am a casual fan but I saw many races back in the days of Elliot, Waltrip, Yarborough, etc and some of the recent races at Charlotte and Atlanta. The new races SUCK and are snooze fest for the casual fans. After the first 10 laps its single file for lap after lap until they decide it is "too boring" so we get the "Debris ?? on Track" yellow flag to bunch them all up again. It all starts all over and the only excitement is if someone slides into a wall. Sure I could buy a head set and listen too all the BS and make it sooo much more fun....NOT! That my friend is why NASCAR attendance AND TV viewership is down. It is exciting for the teams and racers but for the fans it truly is becoming unwatchable. Sorry but the numbers prove me out.

I am a casual fan but I saw many races back in the days of Elliot, Waltrip, Yarborough, etc and some of the recent races at Charlotte and Atlanta. The new races SUCK and are snooze fest for the casual fans. After the first 10 laps its single file for lap after lap until they decide it is "too boring" so we get the "Debris ?? on Track" yellow flag to bunch them all up again. It all starts all over and the only excitement is if someone slides into a wall. Sure I could buy a head set and listen too all the BS and make it sooo much more fun....NOT! That my friend is why NASCAR attendance AND TV viewership is down. It is exciting for the teams and racers but for the fans it truly is becoming unwatchable. Sorry but the numbers prove me out.
Your cray if you think todays racing is more boring then back in the day. Drivers winning by 2 laps, 5 cars on the lead lap, half the field in the garage area with a blown engine etc.... Sorry but the facts bear me out not you.

Lower end zone sections may have been the worst seats in the history of sports.
It looked worse than the far end of the Los Angeles Coliseum used to be in terms of distance from the field, which was terrible. The people at Bristol might as well have been in the next county.

Your cray if you think todays racing is more boring then back in the day. Drivers winning by 2 laps, 5 cars on the lead lap, half the field in the garage area with a blown engine etc.... Sorry but the facts bear me out not you.
Just as crazy as the 100,000's of fans that are finding other things to do than watch boring races where no one drafts or strategy is down to who guesses where the next debris caution is going to be. Advertising is pulling out. It has been the trend 10+ years and you know it. Have fun when nascar becomes like Indy where no one cares!!

Reactions: sandlapper59
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT