ADVERTISEMENT

Bush League play or naw?

I think that’s the rule as it is now.

I don’t see this being a huge issue - I don’t ever remember a fake slide before in my life. But if it ever did become an issue I could also see them adding in a delay of game penalty like they do if you fair catch and start running.
Sounds like the NCAA Memo has said that they are ruled down when they begin a slide, even a fake slide. They had to address this immediately and they did. Credit to them for that. Smart move for him to make that play while it was legal, though.

The play could be dangerous in the future to a QB. If he fakes a slide more than once the defenders are going to start laying the wood to him even when he does slide and then plead “I thought he was faking a slide.” Maybe they ought to say the QB must be tagged with two hands or put flags on them.

Fair catch is the best analogy, as posted above. The play is dead at the initiation of the slide, just like the ball is dead after a fair catch. Even if the receiver drops a fair catch and recovers the muffed punt, he still can’t advance because he has “given up” the right to advance. Starting a slide is the same thing. The QB has “given up” the right to advance. I was honestly surprised that they weren’t already administering it that way to begin with.

Now, with that being said, it was a heck of an athletic play, and as an objective third party, it was funny to watch the defenders freeze just long enough. But I’m glad they will now call it dead at the start of the slide.

But the next interpretation issue will come in about a year when a QB starts a slide and fumbles before he hits the ground. And the internet will blow up. 😂

Reactions: ToddFlanders
Y'all keep saying he "started the slide." I don't see it. I do think he changed his posture and his pace in order to start the slide - but never actually started it. If you start blowing a play dead every time a player leans back slightly and slows down, you are going to prematurely blow a lot of plays dead right before a nice juke-move.
Yeah, faking in football should not be allowed

Yeah, faking in football should not be allowed

Yep, no more play action passes (fake handoff).
No pump fakes by the QB. (fake pass).
No stop and go routes, by the receiver. (fake route).
Just kidding, of course. I think the fake slide is a different animal, more like the fair catch thing mentioned earlier.

Reactions: mikeypen
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT