ADVERTISEMENT

Call it like it is...Beamer is the cheap option

JamesRob

May 31, 2012
If Beamer is the pick, this process was nothing more than a ruse. Shane is by all accounts a good guy but rolling the dice on a guy that’s never been the man is far too risky at this point. We risk sinking further in to the irrelevancy abyss if we swing and miss on this hire.

Taking the cheap guy that will keep some of the existing assistants around (just to save money) isn’t acceptable.

Pay Napier or Freeze and get this done. I’d even take Chadwell before Frank’s boy.

Thing is we ended up spending more than $6 million per year on Muschamp after initially going cheap to get him here. What kind of coach could we have gotten for that? Will it be any different when Beamer leads us to a 9 win season the next time the SEC is really down like 2017? What's going to stop Tanner from another moronic buyout?

We spare no expense for Olympic sports. But when it comes to the cash cow we go cheap. Fire Tanner now.

Last edited:
Got to check off 3 boxes when making a hire. HC is by far number 1 followed by 2 coordinators. It seems Beamer could come really really cheap and that is most exciting to the higher ups. Think fans and them have let the Dabo hire influence this situation here going on. Dabo was freak luck. That hire at 20 schools would've ended in a bad result for 19. It didn't for Clemson. They beat the odds.

Got to check off 3 boxes when making a hire. HC is by far number 1 followed by 2 coordinators. It seems Beamer could come really really cheap and that is most exciting to the higher ups. Think fans and them have let the Dabo hire influence this situation here going on. Dabo was freak luck. That hire at 20 schools would've ended in a bad result for 19. It didn't for Clemson. They beat the odds.
We are the “Dollar Store” of AD’s .

I agree, it's the only reason you would pursue Beamer. He's cheap.

Tanner got confused by Muschamp. He thought if you invest a lot of money, there will be a return. What he didn't realize is that "return" could come in the form of a massive dumpster fire.

Now he wants to go cheap. Man, we are so reactionary it's sad. There is no chicken curse.....it's always been the BOT and administration.

Spot on, ClemTech hit the lottery. Coordinators with the success of Eliott and Venables typically don’t stay long. They move on to be the head guy somewhere else.
Hiring a head coach that needs overpaid coordinators to stay afloat is not sustainable.

Last edited:
Reactions: statelinecock
Spot on, ClemTech hit the lottery. Coordinators with the success of Eliott and Venables typically don’t stay long. They move on to be the head guy somewhere else.
Hiring a head coach that needs overpaid coordinators to stay afloat is not sustainable.
Why not?

If Beamer is the pick, this process was nothing more than a ruse. Shane is by all accounts a good guy but rolling the dice on a guy that’s never been the man is far too risky at this point. We risk sinking further in to the irrelevancy abyss if we swing and miss on this hire.

Taking the cheap guy that will keep some of the existing assistants around (just to save money) isn’t acceptable.

Pay Napier or Freeze and get this done. I’d even take Chadwell before Frank’s boy.
Made up

Similar to what others on this board have said, you have to hit a HR on every coordinator hire. Beamer can’t step in and take over the play calling if it goes sideways. Beamer doesn’t have the skill set.

It doesn’t just stop with the coordinators, he’s going to need strong position coaches, not just recruiters that can bring guys in the boat.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2

Sorry to blow your mind but we have been in the irrelevancy abyss for a while.

I think Tanner and Caslen became very much aware that Muschamp was not just a bad coach, but that he was a problem coach. The decision was made to get rid of him for the sake of the University and the program.

If they choose Beamer, pay him $3 million a year, and keep some or even most of the current staff that will be the proof that they decided to try and salvage the program as best they could even in the face of a pandemic.

But I honestly don't think the search is over.

Matt Campbell made 2.65 million in 2019. My guess he made, or will make, $3 million in 2020. If we offer him $4 million and incentives who knows what will happen.

Last time out we valued head coaching and SEC experience above all else. That gave us Muschamp, when by many accounts we could've had Lincoln Riley. We didn't want him because he was too young and had never been the man. You think we might be in a little bit better spot as a program if we hired Riley, even if he did bolt for OU or someone else after 2-3 years?

For the record, Beamer isn't my first choice either. But we're in a position where we have to take risks, because there isn't a "sure thing" out there who would want to take on this mess. If I were in charge, we would hire Chadwell, but that doesn't mean taking a shot on Beamer in a CEO/HC role is a poor decision.

The success of Elliott and Venables. Yea, they would be great in Columbia also if they could bring Clemson talent with them. It isn't scheme, its talent on hand.

Reactions: Tmac069
Nice to hear from you Mr. Status Quo...we shall see if he is hired. Guaranteed he will get a low salary and he’ll keep some assistants to be cheap.

Write it down in pen.
Talk all you want, it doesn’t make your BS correct. Our admin is not hiring to save money, if they were we would simply give it to the interim HC Bobo. It is that simple. We would not hire a search committee and try to throw $3MM or more (reportedly) a year at an outside candidate if we were only concerned with money. $3MM is not low- avg FBS HC salary this year is about $2.7MM. Sam Pittman, perhaps the most comparable candidate to Beamer recently hired in the SEC got $3MM at Arki, and even Lane Kiffen is only making around $4MM- a candidate with a lot more HC experience than most any we are looking at... Those are the facts. Implying we are just cheaping out when we have reportedly been in talks to pay EXACTLY what the market bears for a new HC in the SEC, the conference with the highest paid coaches in the nation, is a myth. If we were offering Urban Meyer, certainly that number would be higher! Double or triple... He is not on the table, and it is not because we are cheap, he simply would not come here.

I hope it is Beamer, or Napier, or Chadwell, but we could get any of the three for about that amount- neither Napier or Chadwell has the experience and name to demand more than $3-4MM. No matter who we hire I also hope he does keep a few assistants like Kitchings who has done an amazing job despite our broader struggles or Shaw or Rod Wilson who are doing a good job and are passionate about winning HERE. I am sure it makes you feel important to talk bad about our administration, but as I said originally- it is all made up.

Tanner got confused by Muschamp. He thought if you invest a lot of money, there will be a return. What he didn't realize is that "return" could come in the form of a massive dumpster fire.

Now he wants to go cheap. Man, we are so reactionary it's sad. There is no chicken curse.....it's always been the BOT and administration.

Re: the BOT, what do you expect from a roomful of lawyers - literally - those guys and gals fill up the big conference room in the Alumni Center every full meeting of the Board.

They are NOT businessmen - most are 'ambulance-chasing' or corporate lawyers. They just aren't DNA made to understand HOW an organization runs successfully - only how much they can bilk a defendent (or his/her) insurance company in a 'negotiated settlement'.

Things need to change at the top. Dump the legal hacks and bring in more REAL people!

If we do hire Beamer, I sure hope it's on the cheap. I worry it won't be.
It will be until Beamer goes 5-3 in the SEC with the 5 SEC wins against teams that have a combined, COMBINED 9 SEC wins on the year. Then he'll get the Muschamp buyout so we don't lose the coach they hired for the reason that he'd never leave(Tanner logic).

2017 SEC records of SEC teams Carolina beat

Tennessee 0-8
Vanderbilt 1-7
Arkansas 1-7
Florida 3-5
Missouri 4-4

• Haha
Reactions: JamesRob

“cheap”?,..... admit it.......u shopped 5 points.:)

My opinion ain't worth much, but I feel like hiring Beamer is not only the cheapest way out of a bad situation but it is also risky for a different reason than Napier or Chadwell would be risky. We will be totally dependent on who he hires because as a CEO head coach he is not going to design an offense or defense or scheme a gameplan. So, let's say he makes great coordinator hires and they are hired away. Whelp ... we are right back where we started. Maybe Beamer can't find lightning in a bottle again and he's not the architect.

When the rubber meets the road someone like Napier or Chadwell would be able to scheme and gameplan an offense their own.

Reactions: 75CarolinaFan
My opinion ain't worth much, but I feel like hiring Beamer is not only the cheapest way out of a bad situation but it is also risky for a different reason than Napier or Chadwell would be risky. We will be totally dependent on who he hires because as a CEO head coach he is not going to design an offense or defense or scheme a gameplan. So, let's say he makes great coordinator hires and they are hired away. Whelp ... we are right back where we started. Maybe Beamer can't find lightning in a bottle again and he's not the architect.

When the rubber meets the road someone like Napier or Chadwell would be able to scheme and gameplan an offense their own.
Exactly. I made this point by saying OCs and DCs can improve their status by becoming HCs at bigger and smaller schools and also becoming coordinators at bigger programs. The opportunities are endless. HCs are only leaving to become HCs at bigger programs. This is why hiring a proven OC/HC who has been an OC is the best way to go.

And because I did this work I'm dropping this in this post for reference when we have our coach. What end of the spectrum do y'all think our new HC will be on? I think I know. It's where Muschamp started off too. CHEAP

Saban $9,300,000
Orgeron $8,918,500
Fisher $7,500,000
Smart $6,933,600
Malzahn $6,927,589
Mullen $6,070,000
Stoops $5,013,600
Leach $5,000,000
Drinkwitz $3,925,000
Kiffin $3,900,000
Pruitt $3,846,000
Pittman $3,000,000

Head coaches don’t do the brunt of the work that you just listed anymore. Even Nick Saban has said and eluded to his oc/dc making the calls. Obviously he has the final say so

The success of Elliott and Venables. Yea, they would be great in Columbia also if they could bring Clemson talent with them. It isn't scheme, its talent on hand.
And playing against bull shit schedules year after year. Their coordinators have to game plan for 2-3 games a year. The rest on their schedules are glorified scrimmages. And shall we go into how they got the talent over the last 7 to 8 years. You can't pay attention to how things went up there. Completely different situation all around.

Less expensive is not always cheap. I would call Beamer a value pick. Put big money in the OC and DC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT