ADVERTISEMENT

Calling Coach Marshall Home!!!

If USC had not left the ACC in a huff, the last 49 years of MBB could be a very different story.
Dumb, dumb, stupid, asinine decision. That said I was so POed that I was in favor of it at the time.
Clemson is a lot smarter than USC as far as that goes. They were, if you can believe what you read on here, supposed to go with us.
As bad as firing Jim Carlen. The BOT should have fired that creepy Holdeman instead. That decision gives us a good look into how the powers that be operate and it's not in the fans' or USC's interests. Look where we are decades later. No FB or MBB or baseball pgms to be really proud of. Our AD frequently rides the short bus.
Time for pitchforks and torches.:)

Frank MUST go!!!!

Please come home Marshall!!!!!

If he is not the one hired, fire the President!!!!!

Our men's sports have gone from sucess, to sh!t!!!!

images

Reactions: Bleedgarnet33
Dumb, dumb, stupid, asinine decision. That said I was so POed that I was in favor of it at the time.
Clemson is a lot smarter than USC as far as that goes. They were, if you can believe what you read on here, supposed to go with us.
As bad as firing Jim Carlen. The BOT should have fired that creepy Holdeman instead. That decision gives us a good look into how the powers that be operate and it's not in the fans' or USC's interests. Look where we are decades later. No FB or MBB or baseball pgms to be really proud of. Our AD frequently rides the short bus.
Time for pitchforks and torches.:)

What was the real reason for leaving then? The ACC and independent days were before my time.

What was the real reason for leaving then? The ACC and independent days were before my time.

Peppermint Paul Dietzel didn’t like sharing all of our future bowl money with other members of a conference. He didn’t think it would impact our basketball or baseball teams. I talked with Frank McGuire when he visited our IEEE meeting. He would visit any group at USC if he was invited. McGuire played along since Dietzel was also the AD.

Made the tournament 7 of the last 8 seasons, and a good chance to make it again this season.

Make the Dance with Frank? Not happening. I am glad they let us play in the SEC tournament. On second thought .,,, we qualify even if we lose to Stetson.

Everyone should be down for next year with Frank and that's if he doesn't leave on his own in a few weeks. Some of y'all act like he doesn't want to win. Couldn't be farther from the truth.

If he was losing 3-4 good players then yes, I would be concerned. But he's not. Fortunately freshmen turn into sophomores. Add Seventh, a healthy Minaya and two good looking bigs and we may be very good.

Everyone should be down for next year with Frank and that's if he doesn't leave on his own in a few weeks. Some of y'all act like he doesn't want to win. Couldn't be farther from the truth.

If he was losing 3-4 good players then yes, I would be concerned. But he's not. Fortunately freshmen turn into sophomores. Add Seventh, a healthy Minaya and two good looking bigs and we may be very good.
Of course he wants to win. No one thinks that. The fact is he has not won enough games to qualify for one of 64 spots in the NCAA playoffs but once out of 8 tries. He is the 5th highest paid coach in the SEC. He makes more than Mike White, Bruce Pearle and Will Wade.

That doesn't make sense to me.

Marshall is from Greenwood, SC. He is a longtime Gamecock fan from the first grade on. His dad is a long time Gamecock fan. He used to attend the football games when he was in Charleston and Winthrop. I think he is the natural. But we took a pass on him just like we did with Bobby Cremins who wanted to coach badly here. In the end, RT may have pooped the bed in getting him.
Cremins was hired sir, then had a change of mind and returned to Georgia Tech.

Obviously Frank wants to win - at least you certainly gotta believe he does. But you gotta admit, when you sit some of your better players to teach some sort of lesson, and then pout and cross your arms on the bench while we lose to Boston and Stetson, it’s hard to argue that you want to win....... (not adamantly arguing, just throwing that out there)

Of course he wants to win. No one thinks that. The fact is he has not won enough games to qualify for one of 64 spots in the NCAA playoffs but once out of 8 tries. He is the 5th highest paid coach in the SEC. He makes more than Mike White, Bruce Pearle and Will Wade.

This is why I want Ray gone way more than Frank. Why is he giving coaches these huge contracts and also why are they being approved?

Reactions: FORKCOCK
Ain't gonna happen. As it is, he makes more than Frank Martin does. We'd have to go to at least $4 million to make it financially worthwhile for him to come here. But that likely doesn't get it done. WSU would fight to keep him and give him a raise. He's also a regular target of other programs. When you combine the financials and the state of our program, it all adds up to: not happening.

Peppermint Paul Dietzel didn’t like sharing all of our future bowl money with other members of a conference. He didn’t think it would impact our basketball or baseball teams. I talked with Frank McGuire when he visited our IEEE meeting. He would visit any group at USC if he was invited. McGuire played along since Dietzel was also the AD.
Pepsodent Paul. Pepsodent, as in the toothpaste to give one a bright (fake?) smile.

The fallacy of keeping bowl money all to oneself should be offset by the reception of a portion of bowl money from other conference members' appearances and the general publicity associated with being in a conference.

Last edited:

Said it before and I will say it every time I see this stupid post. Anyone who counts Franks first three years is a moron...

Actually some of you need to check your notes. We took a pass on him when Cremins was at App St and begged for the job. Then he got the job at Georgia Tech and made them a power. Meanwhile, we took Coach Bill Foster from Duke and underachieving really started in earnest.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
Said it before and I will say it every time I see this stupid post. Anyone who counts Franks first three years is a moron...
Did he get paid? Is it true basketball is the easiest sport to turn around? Is it true Bruce Pearl turned Auburn around? Is it true Baylor's athletics as a whole blow ours out of the water after a huge scandal? But hey you keep making excuses. Fans like you make me sick. I really think your last name is Tanner.

Reactions: ddw1263
We had the worst basketball program in the country when Frank got here. I don't care if we had Coach K, no one was going to turn that mess around quickly. It doesn't excuse only one NCAA appearance, but it's important to keep that in mind when you look at Frank's time here.

Reactions: Bleedgarnet33
We are talking post Fogler right? Not sure I agree. He made 1 tourney in 7 Ga Tech years after he spurned us.

... And over the next 8 years, Odom made 1 tourney with 0 winning conference records. I thought going after Tubby was absolutely the right move. Odom over Cremins was not.

We had the worst basketball program in the country when Frank got here. I don't care if we had Coach K, no one was going to turn that mess around quickly. It doesn't excuse only one NCAA appearance, but it's important to keep that in mind when you look at Frank's time here.

No we didn't have the worst program lol

wow, anybody that doesn't know that GM is not ever coming here, has had their head stuck in the sand for the last 8 or 9 years....yall repeat the same crap over and over...rinse and repeat....no wonder yall are famous in other circles

Actually some of you need to check your notes. We took a pass on him when Cremins was at App St and begged for the job. Then he got the job at Georgia Tech and made them a power. Meanwhile, we took Coach Bill Foster from Duke and underachieving really started in earnest.

I think USC was trying to rid itself of anything from the McGuire era at the time. And most of Frank's players responded in kind.

Say want you want regarding Dave Odom's coaching (no argument here), but at least he had the sense to try and reach out to McGuire's players as part of celebrating 100 years of Gamecock MBB.

Foster had a great thing going at Dook. I read somewhere that he was tired of the pressure cooker? For those who like to coach/teach but abhor recruiting (e.g., Fogler), I'm sure there are lots of D-III / NAIA programs who would love to hire you.

Dook was supposed to play USC in Columbia during Foster's first year here, but he cancelled the game. I just found this out a few months ago. DUMB MOVE! We needed (and still do) games vs schools who were in the ACC at the time of our departure in addition to the annual Clemron game. Scratching Dook probably hurt momentum/enthusiasm for the program.

Reactions: USC3307
I think USC was trying to rid itself of anything from the McGuire era at the time. And most of Frank's players responded in kind.

Say want you want regarding Dave Odom's coaching (no argument here), but at least he had the sense to try and reach out to McGuire's players as part of celebrating 100 years of Gamecock MBB.

Foster had a great thing going at Dook. I read somewhere that he was tired of the pressure cooker? For those who like to coach/teach but abhor recruiting (e.g., Fogler), I'm sure there are lots of D-III / NAIA programs who would love to hire you.

Dook was supposed to play USC in Columbia during Foster's first year here, but he cancelled the game. I just found this out a few months ago. DUMB MOVE! We needed (and still do) games vs schools who were in the ACC at the time of our departure in addition to the annual Clemron game. Scratching Dook probably hurt momentum/enthusiasm for the program.

Had not heard that about Foster cancelling a Duke game .... Agree, if true that was not smart.

I always felt like we should have made the football games that Duke, NC State & other ACC teams continued throughout the 70s and 80s for the $ contingent on them playing us in basketball.

Reactions: atl-cock
After Fogler left Bobby campaigned hard for the job. McGee wanted to hire him - the board in its infinite wisdom would not let him. That’s what the post is referring to.

BC was completely washed up at that point.

Native...and if he could turn the tide...the next McGuire....

He didn’t want to come when we hired Frank

Pepsodent Paul....that was his nickname. Plus it was the tougher entrance requirements for athletes. See the Freddie Solomon case

Reactions: vacock#
Marshall is not coming here. He can recruit a different class of student at Wichita State and get them in school. He also makes all the money he needs.

And, he gets to live in Witchita!

Had not heard that about Foster cancelling a Duke game .... Agree, if true that was not smart.

I always felt like we should have made the football games that Duke, NC State & other ACC teams continued throughout the 70s and 80s for the $ contingent on them playing us in basketball.
Maybe USC tried, but they all said "nah!" I personally doubt it, but thought I'd throw that out there.

One other obscure fact.

In the mid-70s, USC hosted a Christmas tournament in Columbia called the "Carolina Classic". Gamecocks would invite three squads to town for two days of action. In December 1975, UVA, Oklahoma State, and Yale were the invitees. On day one (12/22/1975), we played Yale, and the Cavs & Cowboys squared off. The next day, the winners played each other, and the losers player each other. We beat Yale, and OSU beat UVA on day one.

Had we lost our first game or had UVA won theirs, the Cavaliers would have been the first non-Clemron ACC school to play USC in Columbia after we left the league. Regardless, they are the first non-Clemron ACC school to play a hoops game in Cola after we seceeded.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT