ADVERTISEMENT

Cam signs one year deal with New England

The notion that Belichick is this straight-laced coach that doesn't put up with anything is overrated. Belichick has always taken chances on talented players when he can get them cheap. He traded for Randy Moss and Corey Dillon. He brought in Chad Johnson. He brought in Michael Floyd the weekend after he was charged with DUI. He drafted Aaron Hernandez and even brought in Antonio Brown. He will have no problem with Cam being a little goofy as long as he performs on the field. Now, it is doubtful that he will give Cam any long-term commitment. However, it's a great opportunity for Cam to resurrect his career behind a team with a strong defense.

The notion that Belichick is this straight-laced coach that doesn't put up with anything is overrated. Belichick has always taken chances on talented players when he can get them cheap. He traded for Randy Miss and Corey Dillon. He brought Chad Johnson. He brought in Michael Floyd the weekend after he was charged with DUI. He drafted Aaron Hernandez and even brought in Antonio Brown. He will have no problem with Cam being a little goofy as long as he performs on the field. Now, it is doubtful that he will give Cam any long-term commitment. However, it's a great opportunity for Cam to resurrect his career behind a team with a strong defense.
And everyone you cited acted straight or got the Hell out (Brown). I stand by my statement. Edit: I didn't say the team never took people in perceived to be problems, but I will say Belichick has run an exceptionally tight ship. Much like Kiffin when he worked for Saban, you heard nothing out of him as a personality while he was there.

Cam is a cancer to any team...

Where does that perception come from ?? From all accounts he was beloved by all his teammates and the community in Charlotte . He did insane amounts of community outreach in Charlotte and I never heard any coaches or teammates say a bad word about him . The guy led Auburn to a National title and took a pretty bad Panthers team to a 15-1 record and a super bowl almost singlehandedly . He’s an MVP and a Heisman winner . I just don’t get all the hatred for Cam . Yes he’s arrogant and cocky but wasn’t Brett Favre and for that matter half the successful QB in the NFL . I for one think the Panthers absolutely screwed Cam and threw him out like the bath water after years of letting him get beat to death . That offensive line has been putrid for 7 years and Cam hasn’t had a true #1 WR since they released Steve Smith when he had 3 1000 yard seasons left . Honestly as a now “Former” panther fan I would like nothing more than to see Cam back in the Super Bowl with the Pats and the Panthers battling for the #1 pick (which they will screw up ). I think it’s a great move by the Pats .

Think about this .... let’s say Cam now is only 80% of what he was in 2015 . Would you rather have 80% of Cam or 100% of Sam Darnald , Josh Allen and whoever the hell is gonna QB in Miami because Tua won’t be ready . That’s a pretty easy decision for me . In all honestly name 5 QB’s in the entire AFC better than an 80% Cam ... Mahomes , Watson , Jackson of course but who else ?? Rivers ?? Big Ben?? Carr?? I don’t think so .

Where does that perception come from ?? From all accounts he was beloved by all his teammates and the community in Charlotte . He did insane amounts of community outreach in Charlotte and I never heard any coaches or teammates say a bad word about him . The guy led Auburn to a National title and took a pretty bad Panthers team to a 15-1 record and a super bowl almost singlehandedly . He’s an MVP and a Heisman winner . I just don’t get all the hatred for Cam . Yes he’s arrogant and cocky but wasn’t Brett Favre and for that matter half the successful QB in the NFL . I for one think the Panthers absolutely screwed Cam and threw him out like the bath water after years of letting him get beat to death . That offensive line has been putrid for 7 years and Cam hasn’t had a true #1 WR since they released Steve Smith when he had 3 1000 yard seasons left . Honestly as a now “Former” panther fan I would like nothing more than to see Cam back in the Super Bowl with the Pats and the Panthers battling for the #1 pick (which they will screw up ). I think it’s a great move by the Pats .

He's not a team player, this has nothing about being a leader in community with his outreach... Two separate issues...

46ollx.jpg

The only problem I have with Cam is his father reportedly "sold" his services to Auburn. He should have been ruled ineligible to play college football.

The only problem I have with Cam is his father reportedly "sold" his services to Auburn. He should have been ruled ineligible to play college football.
It's well known that the preacher shopped his son around. Whether that involved Auburn or not, I don't know.

Unfortunately for Cam, this play will define his career more than any other. Say what you will about all of his good deeds, but this play is Cam Newton...
As a Panthers fan, it still irritates me to this day. Even if he had fought for that fumble though, I don't see us winning that Super Bowl. The Broncos had our number that night.

Reactions: Sending an SOS
And everyone you cited acted straight or got the Hell out (Brown). I stand by my statement.
Really? Aaron Hernandez was playing by day and murdering people by night. Randy Moss didn't really act different. He was just dominant and the team was undefeated. Cam is really not that controversial. He just dresses like a Trap Rapper from Atlanta and hands out footballs after TD's. It's really no different than Brady head-butting his lineman. The notion that Cam Newton is not a team player is ridiculous. He was a team player with Carolina. He played half the year on two separate occasions with serious shoulder injuries. Cam's issue is that he doesn't fit in the tidy QB demeanor box that many have for the position. Further, you have to keep in mind that we are on a Gamecock message board and Cam kinda embarrassed us the last time our program faced him.

Last edited:
Really? Aaron Hernandez was playing by night and murdering people by night. Randy Moss didn't really act different. He was just dominant and the team was undefeated. Cam is really not that controversial. He just dresses like a Trap Rapper from Atlanta and hands out footballs after TD's. It's really no different than Brady head-butting his lineman. The notion that Cam Newton is not a team player is ridiculous. He was a team player with Carolina. He played half the year on two separate occasions with serious shoulder injuries. Cam's issue is that he doesn't fit in the tidy QB demeanor box that many have for the position. Further, you have to keep in mind that we are on a Gamecock message board and Cam kinda embarrassed us the last time our program faced him.

100% agree . I think Cam is a gamer . That one play in the Super Bowl will haunt him forever but other than that one play he has been a warrior . I think most on the site are salty because Cam absolutely DESTROYED us twice that year . We couldn’t do anything to stop him . I think he will be a terrific fit in NE . The one thing that connects Cam and Bill B is they are both fiery competitors and Csm has never had an OC the quality of McDaniels . I think it’s a great fit

He's not a team player, this has nothing about being a leader in community with his outreach... Two separate issues...

Fair enough . Give me an example . He was the team captain at Auburn and Carolina . I NEVER heard any teammate (other than Kelvin Benjamin who is a knucklehead) say anything bad about him . His teammates in Carolina loved him . This is apparent by the reactions when he was released . Again just asking for specific examples . I’ve follow Cam’s career since he was drafted and I can’t ever remember a teammate or coaching saying a bad word about him

it was less than a ONE SCORE game late in the game.... You jump on that ball!!

I was a few beers in at that point. As the game became more frustrating, the beer consumption increased. I never bothered to go back and rewatch that game. My recollection is that it was an ugly, defensive game, and our offense couldn't sustain a drive. Don't get me wrong, I'm not excusing what he did. I was pissed off at the time. I just don't think the final outcome would have changed.

I was a few beers in at that point. As the game became more frustrating, the beer consumption increased. I never bothered to go back and rewatch that game. My recollection is that it was an ugly, defensive game, and our offense couldn't sustain a drive. Don't get me wrong, I'm not excusing what he did. I was pissed off at the time. I just don't think the final outcome would have changed.

I remember Cam getting drilled pretty much every play by Von Miller or Malik Jackson and Michael Orr doing his best impression of a French door . I also remember balls bouncing off Ted Gunn and the other receivers hands left and right . Cam didn’t play well but I think it had way more to do with Denver’s defense . I also remember CJ Anderson running wild on what was a pretty good defense most of the year .

Fair enough . Give me an example . He was the team captain at Auburn and Carolina . I NEVER heard any teammate (other than Kelvin Benjamin who is a knucklehead) say anything bad about him . His teammates in Carolina loved him . This is apparent by the reactions when he was released . Again just asking for specific examples . I’ve follow Cam’s career since he was drafted and I can’t ever remember a teammate or coaching saying a bad word about him

All I'll say is super bowl 50 and leave as that...

Woah now... Don’t go editing the past to ignore the negatives... Boy you sugar coated that one! He did community outreach and charity work? Wow!! Like almost EVERY other starting NFL player in the country? Amazing... Eyeroll

He was a liar and a Cheater and a THIEF in college who got booted from FLORIDA! Florida, the school where they protect murderers and rapists booted Cam Newton... Let that sink in. Aaron Hernandez never even got kicked out of UF. AARON FREAKING HERNANDEZ... Then Auburn OBVIOUSLY bought his services, should have never had him fir that season, and guess who he beat TWICE in one year there to ruin any shot we had at winning our only trip to the SEC CG. You got it- YOUR CAROLINA GAMECOCKS! Fast forward to that Super Bowl he made it to and the childish way he acted towards the media after the game- the pouting face of the franchise we saw in many post game pressers after future losses. Everyone said when he was drafted he would never last in NFL running the same amount he did in Hs. He lasted... about 3 full years before the injuries started to really pile up and now he is a broken shell of his former self- and tried to hide how severe his injuries were multiple times over the past few years so be could keep playing even though it hurt his team because he was unable to compete at peak performance... Add to all that the “Madia plays QB” looking outfits he wore so often- coming out looking like a damn Dick Tracey villain one night and Obama’s grandma another night... Do you really have to ask why such an untrustworthy, immature, prima-donna, distraction of a player is perceived by fans to be a locker room cancer? He has had plenty of former teammates come out to say bad things about him- one was the last #1 receiver he had since Smith.. what was his name? The really tall guy, think he came from FSU or something... Regardless that is a recent example of a teammate ripping him after they left.

I just cannot agree with much of anything in your Post beyond the facts of him having a couple good years in the NFL and one good year in college (that should have never been- we all knew they cheated, the NCAA knew it, evidence was found, family members virtually admitted it, NCAA did nothing and neatly wrapped their investigation up before he even missed a game, meanwhile a couple of our guys get some free nights at a hotel and they drug us through the mud for MONTHS around that same time!!)- beyond that my, admittedly skewed for personal bias, stance on Newton is he is now getting what he deserves for what he did to us in College and for years of cheating, lying and bad attitude. He can make league minimum for a year and if he resurrects his career, has a more team-first, business like, mature approach... I will be proud of him and wish him the best.

Reactions: cockofdawn
I remember Cam getting drilled pretty much every play by Von Miller or Malik Jackson and Michael Orr doing his best impression of a French door . I also remember balls bouncing off Ted Gunn and the other receivers hands left and right . Cam didn’t play well but I think it had way more to do with Denver’s defense . I also remember CJ Anderson running wild on what was a pretty good defense most of the year .
Cam? I-is that you?

Woah now... Don’t go editing the past to ignore the negatives... Boy you sugar coated that one! He did community outreach and charity work? Wow!! Like almost EVERY other starting NFL player in the country? Amazing... Eyeroll

He was a liar and a Cheater and a THIEF in college who got booted from FLORIDA! Florida, the school where they protect murderers and rapists booted Cam Newton... Let that sink in. Aaron Hernandez never even got kicked out of UF. AARON FREAKING HERNANDEZ... Then Auburn OBVIOUSLY bought his services, should have never had him fir that season, and guess who he beat TWICE in one year there to ruin any shot we had at winning our only trip to the SEC CG. You got it- YOUR CAROLINA GAMECOCKS! Fast forward to that Super Bowl he made it to and the childish way he acted towards the media after the game- the pouting face of the franchise we saw in many post game pressers after future losses. Everyone said when he was drafted he would never last in NFL running the same amount he did in Hs. He lasted... about 3 full years before the injuries started to really pile up and now he is a broken shell of his former self- and tried to hide how severe his injuries were multiple times over the past few years so be could keep playing even though it hurt his team because he was unable to compete at peak performance... Add to all that the “Madia plays QB” looking outfits he wore so often- coming out looking like a damn Dick Tracey villain one night and Obama’s grandma another night... Do you really have to ask why such an untrustworthy, immature, prima-donna, distraction of a player is perceived by fans to be a locker room cancer? He has had plenty of former teammates come out to say bad things about him- one was the last #1 receiver he had since Smith.. what was his name? The really tall guy, think he came from FSU or something... Regardless that is a recent example of a teammate ripping him after they left.

I just cannot agree with much of anything in your Post beyond the facts of him having a couple good years in the NFL and one good year in college (that should have never been- we all knew they cheated, the NCAA knew it, evidence was found, family members virtually admitted it, NCAA did nothing and neatly wrapped their investigation up before he even missed a game, meanwhile a couple of our guys get some free nights at a hotel and they drug us through the mud for MONTHS around that same time!!)- beyond that my, admittedly skewed for personal bias, stance on Newton is he is now getting what he deserves for what he did to us in College and for years of cheating, lying and bad attitude. He can make league minimum for a year and if he resurrects his career, has a more team-first, business like, mature approach... I will be proud of him and wish him the best.
What does all of this have to do with New England and whether they should bring him in to get a shot at their QB job. If Cam got kicked out of Florida, he did a heck of a job with his second chance and got a Heisman Trophy and No. 1 pick out of the deal. As a professional, I don't think NFL teams give a rip about whether a player received benefits that are against college eligibility rules. If he did, Newton can join the club of players at most schools in this climate. For you to be still hanging on to this 10 years later is curious. Holding on to contempt is never good. However, if that is how you feel, carry on.

Last edited:
By far, the biggest problem from this signing will be watching coach and player side by side postgame. I'm not sure the sweatshirt wear and flashy dress suit departments can survive the juxtaposition.

Exactly like I said , your salty because he destroyed us the only two time he faced us . That receiver that was critical of him was Kelvin Benjamin who was a first round bust that ate himself out of the league . He was traded for a pack of Doritos to Buffalo and within a year he was waived . I don’t think anybody in the NFL takes much stock in what he said . However , Ask Greg Olsen , Luke Kuechly , Thomas Davis , Christian Mccaffrey ... I’ll take their word over a 300lb WR washout . Your second point is he pouts after losing the super bowl and other big games ?!? Well I know losing is part of our football DNA in Columbia but some people don’t accept it as easy as we do . I would rather have a QB with that attitude . Nobody knows what transpired with him and his dad . Apparently nothing because he was never stripped of his Heisman or the National title . Also whose to say Cam had any knowledge of what was happening with his recruitment . Just because his dad is a hustler doesn’t mean he is . The one point I do agree with you is he hurt his team by trying to play thru those injuries but that’s just what a competitor and leader does . Was it a good decision .. probably not . Either way let’s revisit this post if there is a football season . I betting Cam is in the playoffs .

All I'll say is super bowl 50 and leave as that...

Without Cam that team doesn’t win 4 games that year . Cam wasn’t the one watching Vonn Miller blow past him every single snap . Cam wasn’t the one letting the ball bounce off his helmet over and over again (thanks Ted Ginn Jr) . Yes not diving on the fumble was inexcusable but that team had no business even being in the playoffs without Cam that year .

Exactly like I said , your salty because he destroyed us the only two time he faced us . That receiver that was critical of him was Kelvin Benjamin who was a first round bust that ate himself out of the league . He was traded for a pack of Doritos to Buffalo and within a year he was waived . I don’t think anybody in the NFL takes much stock in what he said . However , Ask Greg Olsen , Luke Kuechly , Thomas Davis , Christian Mccaffrey ... I’ll take their word over a 300lb WR washout . Your second point is he pouts after losing the super bowl and other big games ?!? Well I know losing is part of our football DNA in Columbia but some people don’t accept it as easy as we do . I would rather have a QB with that attitude . Nobody knows what transpired with him and his dad . Apparently nothing because he was never stripped of his Heisman or the National title . Also whose to say Cam had any knowledge of what was happening with his recruitment . Just because his dad is a hustler doesn’t mean he is . The one point I do agree with you is he hurt his team by trying to play thru those injuries but that’s just what a competitor and leader does . Was it a good decision .. probably not . Either way let’s revisit this post if there is a football season . I betting Cam is in the playoffs .
So, nothing about him getting kicked off Florida? The SB was certainly not the only time he was rude in a presser or with fans, it is just the most publicized example. I am salty because it was obvious they cheated to get Cam, they held our guys out over some minor Bs but cleared his case In a few DAYS when there was a ton of evidence to go through... It is Not just because he bashed us. It is because they CHEATED TO WIN THAT CHAMPIONSHIP. It is not exactly CAM I have the Main issue with, it is Chizzledick and Auburn mostly but Can was the product of their cheating that delivered the W and in this case it is just another bad mark on a resume full of issues where he made poor decisions, lied, cheated and/or just acted stupid and immature. From stealing lap tops to whatever you call his antics in the NFL, he is someone I feel represents all that is wrong with sports- no honor, bad attitude, guy getting special treatment because he is a good athlete, gets an out of control ego and it leads to his ultimate demise.

Seems to me we are all saying “he is a bad guy”- then we list a bunch of bad stuff he did. Your counter has been “but he used to be really good at Football tho and a few of his teammates might have liked him because they didn’t trash him in the media”. I’d say if anyone is overly biased on this issue it is you sir. I don’t know why you have such a man crush on him, but he hasn’t been real successful in this league since what? 2015? Maybe he does make the playoffs, but if be does it will be because of NE’s defense (and a former Gamecock who is still the best in the league at his position) not due to Cam lighting the world on fire with his busted throwing arm. I am willing to bet on that... he won’t have a passer rating over... 87 this year. That’s a pretty average/ above average rating right? It will surprise me if he is the starter TBH. He was not hired to be. Nobody was offering him a starting job.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT