ADVERTISEMENT

Can Schools take a cut of NIL money?

Both statements are true, but the NFL has no incentive at all to establish developmental leagues. What just happened only solidifies that.
Here is a question- can the NFL/ teams in the NFL or say the CFL get into the NIL game and sponsor college athletes now? 🤔

Not sure exactly how they would or what benefit they would gain but perhaps an NFL team in a local market might see some value in having a popular college player rep their brand to give them visibility to that college’s fan base? A potential to boost attendance? Just a random thought… the possibilities with this are virtually endless.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Here is a question- can the NFL/ teams in the NFL or say the CFL get into the NIL game and sponsor college athletes now? 🤔...
I don't see why not. Looks to me as if the only thing you can't do is pay a player to attend a particular place. And now NIL deals will be used to mask that. I just think there are no restraints now until I see evidence to the contrary.

The tone of message boards across the country is so different. Up north and out west, no one cares. A lot more pro college athlete. In the south, particularly the Southeast, its mostly doom and gloom.

Reactions: Cola G'Cock
I guess it will be wide open with companies like Nike signing a high school kid and pushing him/her to a particular school.

I guess it will be wide open with companies like Nike signing a high school kid and pushing him/her to a particular school.

Pushing kids to schools already happens with the funding of AAU teams in basketball and big-time high school football teams. Players get hooked on a brand and it definitely plays a part of their decision. Now they'll have more direct reasons to move - straight above-the-table cash (at least on the basketball side).

I'm sure it will happen that way for one or two guys on the football side, but everyone needs to realize that even most NFL players that sign with a shoe company (and they all do) don't get cash from Adidas or Nike, they just get gear. So no shoe company is going to be throwing cash at tons of high school football players when they already don't throw cash at guys in the league.

Reactions: GreatestCock
Pushing kids to schools already happens with the funding of AAU teams in basketball and big-time high school football teams. Players get hooked on a brand and it definitely plays a part of their decision. Now they'll have more direct reasons to move - straight above-the-table cash (at least on the basketball side).

I'm sure it will happen that way for one or two guys on the football side, but everyone needs to realize that even most NFL players that sign with a shoe company (and they all do) don't get cash from Adidas or Nike, they just get gear. So no shoe company is going to be throwing cash at tons of high school football players when they already don't throw cash at guys in the league.
Influence is influence - if enough of it is brought to bear. And there is nothing to preclude a shoe company from using cash in college NIL deals on particularly promising players whom they consider brand-marketable in the future. If it can happen, it will happen.

Influence is influence - if enough of it is brought to bear. And there is nothing to preclude a shoe company from using cash in college NIL deals on particularly promising players whom they consider brand-marketable in the future. If it can happen, it will happen.

I guess that's part of my point - it already does happen. It could possibly get more blatant, but shoe companies aren't throwing away money. I can say that UA and Adidas have pulled back tremendously from their investments in players and schools as their return isn't what it used to be. Market forces will always prevail in these instances and shoe companies aren't going out of business to woo individual high school and college kids.

I guess that's part of my point - it already does happen. It could possibly get more blatant, but shoe companies aren't throwing away money. I can say that UA and Adidas have pulled back tremendously from their investments in players and schools as their return isn't what it used to be. Market forces will always prevail in these instances and shoe companies aren't going out of business to woo individual high school and college kids.
UA and Adidas are being whipped by Nike. I never submitted that the quest for college players will be wholesale, only that the opportunity to lock up an apparently phenomenal player using different machinations at the high school and particularly the college level will not be foreclosed. The NIL could be a new vehicle with which to do it.

I would think that the schools would also like to be compensated for THEIR name, image, or likeness, as well. Going to be some interesting back and forth in the future.
This is what I keep posing. If players think they are a brand at age 18 having never started a game OR as a fifth year senior at 22-23 and having started every game....you play for a university's team. If we are to consider this player a "brand" where he gets paid every time his name/number/likeness is used....then the university that helped "brand" him should be eligible for large portions of any royalty, payment or benefit he receives.

Slippery slope...especially when you throw in disgruntled players and potential transfers. How will that work? Will kids who are deemed 'difficult' or (any other negative adjective) be held up from transferring by the university THUS forfeiting or minimizing potential $$$ ??
EG: Player X is mad about only catching 38 balls last year...wants to transfer to a school that tells him he will catch 60 balls per year. It's a rival school, but out of conference. Team A drags their feet longer than usual on player Xs transfer stuff....possibly costing him $15,000 because he's a big name and going to Univ. B that has a huge twitter following. He gonna sue the Univ. A?

Side note: How many fake twitter accounts has Clemson's coaching staff made in the last couple weeks? They will now employ a guy designated to keep up with those 4,000 extra Twitter accounts weekly, and make sure that extra "hits/follows, etc" will be on every Clemson NIL player.

It would be pretty hilarious if the schools just used the opportunity for players to profit off their own likeness to make more money for themselves.

The idea that "schools" make money from intercollegiate sports is absurd. Athletic departments make money. Unless you're Notre Dame with their television contract and other revenue streams, and are truly run from the office of whatever Father happens to be president, your "school" isn't making appreciable money from sports. You might get a check for the athletic department once in awhile - those that aren't losing money, which aren't many of them.

The idea that "schools" make money from intercollegiate sports is absurd. Athletic departments make money. Unless you're Notre Dame with their television contract and other revenue streams, and are truly run from the office of whatever Father happens to be president, your "school" isn't making appreciable money from sports. You might get a check for the athletic department once in awhile - those that aren't losing money, which aren't many of them.

I think most, myself included, are referring to the athletic department when we say "school." It's shorter to type for one thing.

Schools and the NCAA already get all the money and the discussion is how to give them more money from a new revenue stream that exists in part to remedy the problem of the school getting all the money. Lol.
Yeah, it's crazy. I don't think the NCAA is going to be able to get their arms around this, and if they can't, I don't see how it moves forward as a viable organization.

You all know that has been going on forever right? Seems there was some news about it recently… Something to do with the FBI??? That was supposed to end college basketball I heard at the time… Last I checked MBB is still a thing!

You all know that has been going on forever right? Seems there was some news about it recently… Something to do with the FBI??? That was supposed to end college basketball I heard at the time… Last I checked MBB is still a thing!
Um, yes, we knew. I clearly stated that it will now be wide open.

Um, yes, we knew. I clearly stated that it will now be wide open.
ok, so what will that change? No more indictments and trouble caused by it. No more kids forced to sit out seasons for doing something most the good players were already doing. Taxes will be paid on the revenue generated instead of it being a black market. People allowed to be open and honest about their motivations… These are bad things I guess? I don’t see it. If anything this legitimizes an existing business model, opens it up to more people and creates a whole new industry overnight the government can profit from during the recovery from a pandemic. All without causing the colleges to have to suddenly pay large salaries to hundreds of athletes that they would not be able to afford which would destabilize college athletics and put an end to many non-revenue sports. Suddenly kids in sports that give only partial scholarships may be able to actually make money on their own to pay their tuition and may be able to stay with baseball or track or whatever their passion is when, under the current system, many were moving to basketball or football to get a full ride even if it wasn’t their top choice…

The negatives… Some might have a bigger ego because they made some money causing locker room issues? We all know ego has never been part of athletics until this happened- amirite? 😃

Shouldn't the State of South Carolina be taking taxes from that money? Legislators, hop to it!
Taxes are paid when they file the year after making the income. we are a tax farm for state and Federal governments. This is no different..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT