ADVERTISEMENT

Carolina Calls Throws Up An Epic Fail

Fbarn2001

Jan 13, 2003
I tuned in Carolina Calls for the first time in weeks, and it seems all I can hear for the longest is Todd interviewing the State Epidemiologist Linda Bell about Covid-19. Regardless of how you stand on Covid-19 issues, that was ridiculous. Americans hear about Covid-19 issues day and night til it comes out of our ears. I tuned in to hear callers asking about Carolina football on a show that is still named "Carolina Calls."

Regardless of the politics of it, why would USC have Todd spend ANY kind of time like that on a topic unrelated to USC football? It could have been some other topic, that doesn't matter. The point is, it took away from the idea of the show itself. I tuned out, and then decided to tune back in later just to see if they actually...took any calls...The answer? No. So now I'm thinking it was more about shutting out callers than anything else.

To quote Todd, "Are you kidding me?"

I tuned in Carolina Calls for the first time in weeks, and it seems all I can hear for the longest is Todd interviewing the State Epidemiologist Linda Bell about Covid-19. Regardless of how you stand on Covid-19 issues, that was ridiculous. Americans hear about Covid-19 issues day and night til it comes out of our ears. I tuned in to hear callers asking about Carolina football on a show that is still named "Carolina Calls."

Regardless of the politics of it, why would USC have Todd spend ANY kind of time like that on a topic unrelated to USC football? It could have been some other topic, that doesn't matter. The point is, it took away from the idea of the show itself. I tuned out, and then decided to tune back in later just to see if they actually...took any calls...The answer? No. So now I'm thinking it was more about shutting out callers than anything else.

Man I haven't listened to Carolina Calls since SOS's last game here.

Just sayin'.

Well considering the product on the football field, Covid-19 is far more interesting.

This is the most obvious answer. They know there is serious heat in the fanbase and are trying to deflect it.

So they sub in a 3rd party, polarizing subject and hope most fans will argue more about the politics on the show instead of the turd product on the field.

You lousy friggin' liar.

I was listening to the show while leaving the mall. I got in my car and turned on the radio while pulling out of my parking space . They were coming back from a commercial. Todd said they were going to have Dr. Bell on and introduced her. They had audio problems for a good minute or so. Then Todd asked Dr. Bell if she had any suggestions for the defense stopping Florida's running game. She said that her husband was the football fan in the family. By the time I got to the exit from the mall parking lot, she had put in plug for vaccine availability and Todd and Shane had thanked her and moved on to talking about Stephon wearing Todd's old number 9 with the Panthers and the recruiting of Alshon.

The whole thing from the time I turned on my radio until I pulled out of the mall parking lot couldn't have even lasted more than 3 or 4 minutes and Dr. Bell's comments on the vaccine took up a fraction of that.

It's moronic enough that you would have a problem with them giving a little bit of unsold commercial time to a state agency to talk about a public health issue but what kind of a pathetic asswipe claims that a 45 second or so PSA was "all I heard" on an hour long show? I mean how much of a sick pup is someone who would just make shit like this up?

Heavens, I'd hate to be one of your ilk

Last edited:
You lousy friggin' liar.

I was listening to the show while leaving the mall. I got in my car and turned on the radio while pulling out of my parking space . They were coming back from a commercial. Todd said they were going to have Dr. Bell on and introduced her. They had audio problems for a good minute or so. Then Todd asked Dr. Bell if she had any suggestions for the defense stopping Florida's running game. She said that her husband was the football fan in the family. By the time I got to the exit from the mall parking lot, she had put in plug for vaccine availability and Todd and Shane had thanked her and moved on to talking about Stephon wearing Todd's old number 9 with the Panthers and the recruiting of Alshon.

The whole thing from the time I turned on my radio until I pulled out of the mall parking lot couldn't have even lasted more than 3 or 4 minutes and Dr. Bell's comments on the vaccine took up a fraction of that.

It's moronic enough that you would have a problem with them giving a little bit of unsold commercial time to a state agency to talk about a public health issue but what kind of a pathetic asswipe claims that a 45 second or so PSA was "all I heard" on an hour long show? I mean how much of a sick pup is someone who would just make shit like this up?

Heavens, I'd hate to be one of your ilk

You beat me to it....the op was being very dramatic

Maybe Todd use the Covid-19 report as "fill in time" because no one actually called in.

Reactions: usc1855
I stopped listening many years ago, also. I think they have to fill in time…due to lack of calls and/or trying to limit the amount of time for negative calls. I really feel that the interest in USC coaches’ call-in shows have kind of become obsolete. The coaches have news conferences, interviews, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: ddw1263

You are lying.

As far as call-in shows, press conferences, etc, there's nowhere to go but down after having SOS.

I heard it. You are misrepresenting what happened as others have said.

There is no reason to do that. Spreading misinformation isn't helpful.

Reactions: GamecockWarrior
Boy-That-Escalated-Quickly-Anchorman.gif

Put me in the group of you flat out lying about this.

I dont know why they call it a call in show they don't have call-ins, maybe 2-3 the whole hr.its mostly advertisements. the last one I listen to was the one caller who made the joke and Todd told him off. Me personally, they should take all calls, good or bad.now people should ack like adults about it when they do as in no personal attacks, cussing, etc.

Reactions: caughtlookin
Regardless of how long it was, I would absolutely would put my money on a paid segment. Hitting local radio shows with local personalities is a nice addition to the national campaign assault.

When you fully waive indemnity, you clear up alot of capital for marketing. It would be nice if they provided the data along with the hype. However, they like to skip that for the simple "safe and effective" meme.

Asking a State Epidemiologist for suggestions on how the defense can stop Florida's running game. Are you fn kidding me. Should've never been on the show. JMHO

It was a joke. They were kidding around. There is nothing wrong with that at all. In fact, it's preferable in such a situation.

There is also nothing wrong with having her on, very briefly, to mention a few things. Carolina Calls is a production of the University- a public university.

Are you folks mad when, at halftime for years now, the Gamecock Sports Network has had on various physicians that are affiliated or support the university to talk about various health issues? They've been doing that for years and years and I've yet to hear anyone misrepresent what was said in one of those segments, or complain about it.

How about folks look in the mirror and quit making everything possible something to whine and complain about.

Regardless of how long it was, I would absolutely would put my money on a paid segment. Hitting local radio shows with local personalities is a nice addition to the national campaign assault.

When you fully waive indemnity, you clear up alot of capital for marketing. It would be nice if they provided the data along with the hype. However, they like to skip that for the simple "safe and effective" meme.

and if DHEC did- that's fine. DHEC runs all sorts of ads all the time on various issues from HPV vaccines, to Flu shots, to promotion of hygiene in public spaces, as well as other campaigns.

Todd and other announcers for USC have been public about their own vaccination status and I've heard several, including Todd, promote it. That's also perfectly fine.

To have the state's top doc on with regards to this subject for a very brief mention is perfectly acceptable and routine. College coaches and athletic admins across the state have been in ads for the vaccine and masks for weeks and weeks now.

Speaking of the HPV vaccine that DHEC also promotes.

I remember when there was much controversy with this vaccine. Obviously not as big a debate as with COVID vaccines but still a big debate and source of controversy on several fronts, especially in political circles.

This article from 2011 details the debate- and mentions that in a Republican presidential debate, Representative and candidate for President Michelle Bachman was upset about the "government injection"

I remember listening to debates on tv and radio where people were saying some of the same things they are now about COVID vaccines - not enough data, could cause harm, could cause infertility, etc.........

We've known for years now the HPV vaccines are safe and effective. They protect not only against cervical cancer but they also protect against some mouth and throat cancers in men and women.

New research just released this week backs it up even more.

Success of HPV Vaccination: 'Dramatic' Reduction in Cervical Cancer​

November 04, 2021

HPV vaccine cutting cervical cancer by nearly 90%​

Reactions: usc1855 and Dizzy01
and if DHEC did- that's fine. DHEC runs all sorts of ads all the time on various issues from HPV vaccines, to Flu shots, to promotion of hygiene in public spaces, as well as other campaigns.

Todd and other announcers for USC have been public about their own vaccination status and I've heard several, including Todd, promote it. That's also perfectly fine.

To have the state's top doc on with regards to this subject for a very brief mention is perfectly acceptable and routine. College coaches and athletic admins across the state have been in ads for the vaccine and masks for weeks and weeks now.

Totally disagree. This is personal decision and people should have full disclosure in privacy - not some DHEC shill telling everyone to run out and get it.

This is the marketing phase for kids commensing. Meanwhile, people on both sides of the aisle continue to be injured, including those with a next to nothing chance of having COVID issues (ala kids.)

Today, Pfizer released information on their promising new antiviral and vaccine centric stocks are plunging. Moderna is down over 20%. Vaccines are not the answer to anything and most people are warming up to this fact now:
https://www.google.com/search?q=mod...ome..69i57.4658j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Angry
Reactions: cockmon
Totally disagree. This is personal decision and people should have full disclosure in privacy - not some DHEC shill telling everyone to run out and get it.

This is the marketing phase for kids commensing. Meanwhile, people on both sides of the aisle continue to be injured, including those with a next to nothing chance of having COVID issues (ala kids.)

Today, Pfizer released information on their promising new antiviral and vaccine centric stocks are plunging. Moderna is down over 20%. Vaccines are not the answer to anything and most people are warming up to this fact now:
https://www.google.com/search?q=mod...ome..69i57.4658j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Every medical decision is a personal decision. Getting a medical test is a personal decision. Getting your teeth cleaned is a personal decision. Washing your hands is a personal decision. Getting your child vaccinated to attend school is a personal decision.

Heck, voting is a personal decision but candidates and political parties along with thousands of groups try to convince people to do what they want them to do.

Saying "it's a personal decision" so they shouldn't try to educate or encourage people is illogical. The American way it to try to convince other people to do something- buy something- join something- follow along- get in the group- jump on board.

Getting a heart procedure is a personal decision. Getting your knee operated on is a personal decision- yet USC- for years- has had medical doctors on during games promoting medical treatments.

One of DHEC's very main roles is to promote public health and public health measures. They promote all sorts of vaccines all over the state and have for decades. The majority of folks in South Carolina are perfectly ok with them doing that- and have been for decades. It's a non issue except to a few folks on a Gamecock board complaining about it because they've absolutely run out of things to complain about.

USC is a public university. They promote all sorts of public health measures. There are signs on campus promoting the vaccine. I was on campus today because I have a Junior there. It's a non issue.

It's perfectly appropriate for a public university to have a state employee from the public health agency in South Carolina on to promote a public health measure. The great majority of people agree with that approach- and they have good, solid reasons for doing so. If you don't like that, create your own private university and do what you like. Until then, USC is going to continue and should because they are a public school following public health guidance.

If people don't want to hear the state's top public health doctor mention the importance of getting a vaccine, turn the channel for 10 seconds. But her job, the job, is to promote public health and she has the right to do that like anyone else would on a show that invites her on- or like anyone would that pays for a spot on a radio show.

I don't know what "vaccines are not the answer to anything" even means. I can only guess. If my guess is correct, that's not scientifically accurate- it's not even close. That's an extremist view.

Also, vaccines are not the answer to everything either. They play a critical role, their role, and statistics show that fact clearly. There is not even a debate to be had on that issue.

Last edited:
.......Vaccines are not the answer to anything and most people are warming up to this fact now......
Wow. Even more lies. Show me one poll. Hell, it can be from Newsmax or the One America Network that shows 50.0000000001% of Americans aren't in favor of vaccines in general or the Covid vaccines specifically. One lousy poll. You can't. Because you're as full of shit as the OP.

My best guess is you'll just go run and hide like he has. Liars are usually cowards when they're exposed

Every forum on this board, you can tell who leans left and who leans right. Every subject. It’s like watching CNN or Fox News.

A bunch of losers worrying about how complete strangers live their lives. Guess what. I will never get the vaccine. It does not work, and the lying pharmaceuticals and politicians are making billions off of it. Not a dime from me. My choice.

I never heard one of these call in shows. But they sound lame.
Ray Tanner needs to go on there answering real questions and explain his plans to get this program on track after a decade of no progress.

I dont know why they call it a call in show they don't have call-ins, maybe 2-3 the whole hr.its mostly advertisements. the last one I listen to was the one caller who made the joke and Todd told him off. Me personally, they should take all calls, good or bad.now people should ack like adults about it when they do as in no personal attacks, cussing, etc.
They had one person call in this week. They were not screening out negative callers, they were not ignoring people to talk about covid or whatever the OP was lying about, they are not avoiding calls… They are not GETTING CALLS. Nobody called except one dude who was having phone trouble. This is a level of apathy I have never seen in 40 years of being a fan.

You mean people actually still listen to the so called call in show? It’s not even a call in show, it’s a bunch of advertisements and a hand picked call or two. Do yourselves a favor and fill that hour with something productive.

I think people ignore the call in show because Todd acts offended and gets "short" with any caller that dares offer the mildest critical comment. Surely Todd is adult enough to realize that the head coach is a millionaire and can handle a critical comment from a fan.

I can understand them pushing back on someone that is rude or saying something nutty. But Todd often acts like a jerk when someone even dares ask a good question that isn't sunshine pumping.

So I rarely listen either unless I happen to be in the car when the show is on and I flip over to it for a little while.

Reactions: LBGCOCK
RoosterBooster1 knows this because of the years and years of proven data. I have never had a flu shot, and haven’t been to a doctor in 25 years. I think I know what’s good for my body. Keep putting poison in your veins, and making the rich richer. I’ll live free from our current communist regime.

No one cares if you go to a doctor or never go to a doctor.

You are wrong. Vaccines clearly are helpful and your personal opinion on them is as irrelevant as Bill Clinton's belief that he was a faithful husband.

Reactions: 81 Alumnus
A bunch of losers worrying about how complete strangers live their lives. Guess what. I will never get the vaccine. It does not work, and the lying pharmaceuticals and politicians are making billions off of it. Not a dime from me. My choice.
I sure hope you never have that plastic tube deep throat you because its too late for you by then. medical drugs and medicine in general is what will allow you to lic=ve deep in your 80’s…without it, you and I would be dying like our grand fathers in our 50s/60s.

Reactions: 81 Alumnus
They had one person call in this week. They were not screening out negative callers, they were not ignoring people to talk about covid or whatever the OP was lying about, they are not avoiding calls… They are not GETTING CALLS. Nobody called except one dude who was having phone trouble. This is a level of apathy I have never seen in 40 years of being a fan.
Seems like all the people who are posting in this forum would be itching to get on the phone and ask a question.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT