ADVERTISEMENT

CBS News lists the best college in every state

giphy.gif

I still say it's like VT when I was growing up in Virginia, great for E school, and maybe architecture? animal husbandry? something like that, but out of the probably 50-60 kids out of my class of 310ish who went boy Tech, maybe a handful majored in one of those. The rest are A&S like most of us. Think Clemsin is similar (especially regarding Engineering, animals, etc...). The numbers are skewed though because everyone and their brother is seeking that place out because of the foosball, and that can surely help their selectively > see quality of students > see rankings. Ironically enough, the same thing happened at VT during the Michael Vick era.

Gotta say, and this isn't the rivalry talking, but when I talk to the average Clemsin grad, I'm not thinking 4.0, and 8 million on their SAT, but maybe it's just me

Last edited:
Reactions: okccock
My neice is from VA, and loves Clemsin, but I want her to have the college experience, so I won't give her a hard time. She's strong enough to hopefully not drink the all-in Kool Aid.

Sheep and goats are held on a pedestal in today's world. So any school that plays with them will get high marks.

Reactions: zack#
Wofford actually.

Actually, no. Clemson's admissions standards are higher than Wofford's.

Class Rank in Top Ten Percent: Clemson 56% to Wofford 42%.
HS GPA Above 3.75: Clemson 87% to Wofford 68%
Clemson has higher SAT scores.

Source was College Data website.

Reactions: griffgolf
If you look at High School GPA/Rank, SAT scores, and freshman admission rate, doesn't all of that objective data favor Clemson?

the dean of the honors college at clemson has 2 kids at usc. the dean of the honors college at usc has his kid at usc. is that objective? clemson has zero rhodes scholars. we have 10.

stats are what you make of them. clemson plays the us news game.....it is well documented that they rig class size....great whistle blower article about it a few years back

and to the wofford post above....ummm....no.

i only post because my son just went through college apps. got in first notice to UVA, headed to honors at usc....his decision based on medical school acceptance at 99% for honors...80% UVA.

the dean of the honors college at clemson has 2 kids at usc. the dean of the honors college at usc has his kid at usc. is that objective? clemson has zero rhodes scholars. we have 10.

stats are what you make of them. clemson plays the us news game.....it is well documented that they rig class size....great whistle blower article about it a few years back

i only post because my son just went through college apps. got in first notice to UVA, headed to honors at usc....his decision based on medical school acceptance at 99% for honors...80% UVA.

Great post! Btw, just curious. Since Clemson is a land grant college, where does their Vet School rank nationally? Anyone know?

Reactions: lostcock
I've said it a thousand times. Both schools have different missions. USC to educate our State and promote diversity. Clempson to educate other States kids mostly and do everything to manipulate rankings. In sports they buy a football team while USC has an athletic department playing and winning in the premier college athletics confrence in multiple sports over the years.

What '87 said. USC will always be for the people of the state, first in family grads, etc. It would be relatively easy to change that if you started accepting top 10-15% HS students. I'm sure CU is offering great packages to top students, and it's worth it for some to accept them. In 1994, my wife had WVU and VT offering her nice financial aid because she was around 14th in her HS class, but when she got accepted to Virginia, that was it. VT would kill like to get students like that for rankings, at UVa, every student was top 5-10% in their class. Just like Stanford, Duke, Vandy, Cal....things have changed big time for a lot of state schools though I think. My best friend growing up got into Clemsin out of state with a 2.8ish back in '91, he wouldn't even get a sniff now I bet. His parents wouldn't let him leave the state anyway for oos tuition.

I think the ultimate thing is to take advantage of jobs/internships/networking/resume drops whatever while in school. That and pick the right major if you can get it. Recent Darla Moore grads I know got nice jobs, and that's just about the only statistic that matters

So what if the Dean of the Honors College at Clemson has two kids at USC? We don't know anything about the academics of the two kids. Also, maybe they wanted to study something that wasn't offered at Clemson? Two kids picking USC isn't objective data. That's anecdotal.

Rhodes Scholars tend to be Liberal Arts students. Clemson's strength is in Engineering.

I've said it a thousand times. Both schools have different missions. USC to educate our State and promote diversity. Clempson to educate other States kids mostly and do everything to manipulate rankings. In sports they buy a football team while USC has an athletic department playing and winning in the premier college athletics confrence in multiple sports over the years.

According to USC's website, 40% of students are from out of state.
https://sc.edu/about/offices_and_di...for_freshmen/admitted_class_profile/index.php

According to Clemson's website, 34% of students are from out of state.
http://www.clemson.edu/admissions/undergraduate/faq.html

Comments like this are what ruins good, educated conversation. "Clemson mission is to educate other States kids mostly" Where do you even get that from?

I still say it's like VT when I was growing up in Virginia, great for E school, and maybe architecture? animal husbandry? something like that, buy out of the probably 50-60 kids out of my class of 310ish, maybe a handful majored in one of those. The rest are A&S like most of us. Think Clemsin is similar (especially regarding Engineering, animals, etc...). The numbers are skewed though because everyone and their brother is seeking that place out because of the foosball, and that can surely help their selectively > see quality of students > see rankings. Ironically enough, the same thing happened at VT during the Michael Vick era.

Gotta say, and this isn't the rivalry talking, but when I talk to the average Clemsin grad, I'm not thinking 4.0, and 8 million on their SAT, but maybe it's just me

Their academic ranking was on the rise before they became nationally prominent in football. Otherwise I agree with what you said. Similar to Va Tech.

They are strong in the STEM disciplines (science, technology, engineering, and math) whereas USC is strong in everything else (business, law, education, journalism, nursing/health sciences, political science, criminal justice, behavioral sciences like psychology and sociology, and fine arts like music and dance). A more specialized school that focuses on the STEM disciplines is naturally going to have higher average SAT scores and tougher admission requirements. But that doesn't make it a "better" school. It all depends on program of study. You want to be an engineer, architect, or IT professional, Clemson would be the better choice. You want to major in almost anything else, USC would be the better choice.

And by the way, that difference is intentional. Most states have one flagship public institution that offers a broad, general studies education, yet another that has a more specialized focus on STEM or agricultural disciplines. Consider UVA vs. Va Tech, UNC vs. NC State, UGA vs. Ga Tech, Bama vs. Auburn, Texas vs. Texas A&M, etc. Typically the general studies university was founded first and the sibling STEM institution was founded later to serve that specific need. It's a very common model in public higher education.

Last edited:
You could say it two thousand times, and you would still be wrong. USC has a larger number of out of state students in an effort to cheat the in state students and boost revenue from tuition.

You could say it two thousand times, and you would still be wrong. USC has a larger number of out of state students in an effort to cheat the in state students and boost revenue from tuition.

You can say that about every college, even very selective ones. My neice from VA is looking at Clemson hard, and a big reason is because of her friends that already go there from her HS. My sister said it's $48k/year out of state for everything, so don't even trip. And you know CU is getting hard looks from out of state students, and boosting revenue when they enroll.

Fir the record for in state tuition:

USC - $22k
CU - $28k

All estimates of course. Who's getting cheated?

Actually, out of state attendance at both schools is approximately 31%. Since USC has more students, then they will have more out of state students. But, that also implies that since USC has more students, then they also enroll way more in state students than Clemson. So, exactly who is cheating whom in this scenario?

Actually, out of state attendance at both schools is approximately 31%. Since USC has more students, then they will have more out of state students. But, that also implies that since USC has more students, then they also enroll way more in state students than Clemson. So, exactly who is cheating whom in this scenario?

According to the respective schools' own websites that is not the case. Clemson has 34% and USC has 40%. But someone said it Best above. No one is getting cheated. If Clemson and USC continue to strive to be the most attractive destinations they can be for higher learning, they can provide a better learning environment for students from SC that go there, they'll attract better students from around the country to hopefully stay in SC, and they'll be able to better support their budgets with out of state money. It is unfortunate for the instate student who no longer makes the cut, but there are plenty of fine in state schools now to meet the needs of those students (and, that only helps SC as more and more smaller schools or at least lesser known schools get better students). If Clemson and USC admitted 100% in state students, both schools, and then ultimately the state, would suffer. The rest is nitpicking ("I'm not saying 100%, but how about 80%?").

So what if the Dean of the Honors College at Clemson has two kids at USC? We don't know anything about the academics of the two kids. Also, maybe they wanted to study something that wasn't offered at Clemson? Two kids picking USC isn't objective data. That's anecdotal.

Rhodes Scholars tend to be Liberal Arts students. Clemson's strength is in Engineering.[/QUOTE

let's see....auburn has 5, VT 2, GT 5...those are engr schools....hell wofford has 6.....you would think even a blind squirrel would get a nut at school the size of clemson.

and yes, student demographics are objective data, but maybe not included in rankings. although everyone always gives an athlete extra credit when he is a coach's son. you would think kids of elite honors college dean would be elite as well? maybe not.

my last check, the 2 honors colleges both boasted superior act averages of 33 and sat ave of 1475. usc admitted 570 this year versus just over 250 at calhoun. usc has more sc students per class by far in honors, fwiw.

just stupid stats. the 2 schools are so different that it is rarely a tough decision to choose one over the other. there are kids here in columbia who are going to clemson to get away. others are huge fans or a couple want engr and computer science. there are kids who grew up clemson fans in greenville who want to get away and come to columbia. its really comparing garnet apples to oranges.

Reactions: pluffmud
According to the respective schools' own websites that is not the case. Clemson has 34% and USC has 40%. But someone said it Best above. No one is getting cheated. If Clemson and USC continue to strive to be the most attractive destinations they can be for higher learning, they can provide a better learning environment for students from SC that go there, they'll attract better students from around the country to hopefully stay in SC, and they'll be able to better support their budgets with out of state money. It is unfortunate for the instate student who no longer makes the cut, but there are plenty of fine in state schools now to meet the needs of those students (and, that only helps SC as more and more smaller schools or at least lesser known schools get better students). If Clemson and USC admitted 100% in state students, both schools, and then ultimately the state, would suffer. The rest is nitpicking ("I'm not saying 100%, but how about 80%?").

^^^^^this^^^^^

thanks to out of state it costs less to go instate....ie we pay less than the actual cost to attend. plus usc has grown its instate enrollment 9% over the last decade, despite increasing the border states influx.

our state does not support higher education worth a damn anyway....up to usc and clemson to grow their respective endowments and cover the higher costs of education. this is one thing we can agree on.

You can say that about every college, even very selective ones. My neice from VA is looking at Clemson hard, and a big reason is because of her friends that already go there from her HS. My sister said it's $48k/year out of state for everything, so don't even trip. And you know CU is getting hard looks from out of state students, and boosting revenue when they enroll.

Fir the record for in state tuition:

USC - $22k
CU - $28k

All estimates of course. Who's getting cheated?

I don't think anyone is getting cheated...however, it isn't difficult to google College ROI...

BOOM! Mic drop...end of story.

Their academic ranking was on the rise before they became nationally prominent in football. Otherwise I agree with what you said. Similar to Va Tech.

They are strong in the STEM disciplines (science, technology, engineering, and math) whereas USC is strong in everything else (business, law, education, journalism, nursing/health sciences, political science, criminal justice, behavioral sciences like psychology and sociology, and fine arts like music and dance). A more specialized school that focuses on the STEM disciplines is naturally going to have higher average SAT scores and tougher admission requirements. But that doesn't make it a "better" school. It all depends on program of study. You want to be an engineer, architect, or IT professional, Clemson would be the better choice. You want to major in almost anything else, USC would be the better choice.

And by the way, that difference is intentional. Most states have one flagship public institution that offers a broad, general studies education, yet another that has a more specialized focus on STEM or agricultural disciplines. Consider UVA vs. Va Tech, UNC vs. NC State, UGA vs. Ga Tech, Bama vs. Auburn, Texas vs. Texas A&M, etc. Typically the general studies university was founded first and the sibling STEM institution was founded later to serve that specific need. It's a very common model in public higher education.
I agree with pretty much everything you wrote. I do have to say that referring to USC as a "general studies" university rankles a bit. I know what you mean, but "general studies" harkens back to the days when that was an actual major at USC. But we aren't really a "liberal arts" school either. Maybe "comprehensive university" works.

South Carolina has more students and is located in a better place for students (Columbia) than Clemson. The culture at South Carolina is better. More diversity. Less racism, etc.

Reactions: Lakecock1
Actually, no. Clemson's admissions standards are higher than Wofford's.

Class Rank in Top Ten Percent: Clemson 56% to Wofford 42%.
HS GPA Above 3.75: Clemson 87% to Wofford 68%
Clemson has higher SAT scores.

Source was College Data website.
Much more students apply to Clemson and they do not have 30k students on campus. Generally anyone who wants to be an engineer is a nerd already.

Look at pct my man. USC has 2 and a half times the students as Clempson. Of course more out of state students, but a lower pct. based on total student poulation. i know, it's a hard concept to grasp. Once you get those percentages post and you will see. Throw up the African American pct at each school also tater.

Exactly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT