ADVERTISEMENT

CFB 2020 will not be played per AD's

Harvard Gamecock

May 5, 2014
Well they had to at least try and see what happens. If the CV numbers had greatly subsided starting in June, things would have been very different.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
if there is no vaccine in the next two years and numbers stay close to what they are now, are we saying no college sports for the next couple of years? At some point life has to go back to normal and let the chips fall where they may.
At this point I don't believe anyone is saying anything like that. However, since everyone is dealing with an unknown, decisions are being made to avoid a worst case scenario.

Last edited:
So absurd. We have to move on with life. This virus is (1) sensationalized and overblown compared to other viruses historically and (2) will either subside and go away or be with us for the indefinite future like other coronaviruses. I'm glad MLB had the guts to actually make the best of the situation. If college football fails to do so, shame on these ADs and university presidents. I completely disagree with them.

So absurd. We have to move on with life. This virus is (1) sensationalized and overblown compared to other viruses historically and (2) will either subside and go away or be with us for the indefinite future like other coronaviruses. I'm glad MLB had the guts to actually make the best of the situation. If college football fails to do so, shame on these ADs and university presidents. I completely disagree with them.
MLB are professionals. Much easier choice to keep moving forward. With college sports, the only people with incentive to play through this are guys with a lower draft grade that need to get some better tape out there.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979

I couldn't agree with you more. I can't even begin to describe how sick I am of this sh!t. Living in NC, I was dumb enough to think that perhaps finally, our governor was going to finally completely reopen the state so businesses such as bars and gyms could finally reopen after being closed since the end of the March. Not only did he keep the same restrictions in place, he extended them for another five weeks even though we were seeing declines in positive cases, deaths and hospitalizations. I feel so bad for those business owners because that could very well be the nail in the coffin for them.

At some point, we need to be given our complete freedom back. I have not and will not live in fear of this crap for one second. I will wear a mask when required, but I will continue on with my life as normal as possible. It's so sad and frustrating that people in position of power chose to live in fear over a virus that has such a high survival rate and continue to make so many of us do the same.

Not so fast my friend, we went undefeated in 1907! Thanks to the great Douglas McKay! Why did we get rid of him? Why didn’t we claim a National Championship? Someone who’s older than I should know the answers to this great mystery?
Yep, 1907 team I remember it like it was 113 years ago. Sweet feet Frederick RB. 14 Carriers for 42 yards for the season. Man he was unstoppable.

This article cuts through the BS well. If they cancel the season (and there is no way they play in the Spring) it has nothing, zero, nada, to do with player health. As this article states (and as echoed by many athletes themselves) student athletes are equally or even safer playing football than on their own. It is all politics and liability issues. In the end it Will be the death of many college sports. Football and basketball will survive but other sports and those athletes will lose.
We are about to let a pandemic virus with a mortality rate close to a severe flu season destroy the country as we know it. Unfortunately there are many that believe that would be a positive side effect of Covid-19.

I couldn't agree with you more. I can't even begin to describe how sick I am of this sh!t. Living in NC, I was dumb enough to think that perhaps finally, our governor was going to finally completely reopen the state so businesses such as bars and gyms could finally reopen after being closed since the end of the March. Not only did he keep the same restrictions in place, he extended them for another five weeks even though we were seeing declines in positive cases, deaths and hospitalizations. I feel so bad for those business owners because that could very well be the nail in the coffin for them.

At some point, we need to be given our complete freedom back. I have not and will not live in fear of this crap for one second. I will wear a mask when required, but I will continue on with my life as normal as possible. It's so sad and frustrating that people in position of power chose to live in fear over a virus that has such a high survival rate and continue to make so many of us do the same.
They live in fear of Donald Trump being reelected. Nothing more, nothing less....

This article cuts through the BS well. If they cancel the season (and there is no way they play in the Spring) it has nothing, zero, nada, to do with player health. As this article states (and as echoed by many athletes themselves) student athletes are equally or even safer playing football than on their own. It is all politics and liability issues. In the end it Will be the death of many college sports. Football and basketball will survive but other sports and those athletes will lose.
We are about to let a pandemic virus with a mortality rate close to a severe flu season destroy the country as we know it. Unfortunately there are many that believe that would be a positive side effect of Covid-19.

I've said this months ago, why not do a refined quarantine? Let us folks that are high risk remain in quarantine while everyone else goes about their business.

Now that may not be possible for all people that are high risk but I think most could quarantine. My wife and I could remain semi-isolated and only get out for doctors appointments, buy groceries and a few supplies, etc. which is what we basically do now.

Question for everyone talking about it being over after the election. I'm not denying the media is definitely hyping it and there are unfortunately politics at play.

However how do you explain the rest of the world and their ongoing restrictions and issues with it.
Will it be over in Brazil based on the US election?
I am all about conspiracy theories but pretending the rest of the world doesn't have the same issues is just beyond ridiculous

Reactions: Legendary Cock

I agree with some of your points but it’s very easy to point to a low mortality rate until one of your loved ones is part of that mortality rate . I get it , but just picture how packed the big house in Ann Arbor is on a Sat , now picture all those people dead . That’s what we’re dealing with my friend . Imagine an entire county in SC dead . I agree we gotta try to move on but don’t try to make light of the severity of this . Now some of you conspiracy folks will point to overinflated numbers and I’m not saying your wrong to an extent but what we are seeing is nothing to take lightly and brush off . This is what concerns me the most . I have friends who refuse to wear masks or take proper precautions and say it’s “Their right” not to . I’m very quick to tell them “Yes it’s your right , but it’s also my right to beat your ass if you get me or my loved ones sick”.

I agree with some of your points but it’s very easy to point to a low mortality rate until one of your loved ones is part of that mortality rate . I get it , but just picture how packed the big house in Ann Arbor is on a Sat , now picture all those people dead . That’s what we’re dealing with my friend . Imagine an entire county in SC dead . I agree we gotta try to move on but don’t try to make light of the severity of this . Now some of you conspiracy folks will point to overinflated numbers and I’m not saying your wrong to an extent but what we are seeing is nothing to take lightly and brush off . This is what concerns me the most . I have friends who refuse to wear masks or take proper precautions and say it’s “Their right” not to . I’m very quick to tell them “Yes it’s your right , but it’s also my right to beat your ass if you get me or my loved ones sick”.
Believe me, I understand this is a dangerous disease, especially for high risk folks. But there are plenty of preventable hazards in this world which inflect plenty of pain and suffering. However, you can’t let the cure be worse than the disease and I believe we are close to that point now. I work every day knowing that I am in the most hazardous field there is. I know that if I get it I risk my Mom health (80 years old with HTN and Diabetes). But we tried staying away for three weeks and she about lost her mind. So I manage my risk as best I can. I believe we have seen evidence in the sports world that the risks of Covid can be managed, just like in many other areas of day to day life.

At some point people are going to have to accept that this is a biological entity; there is no way you can guarantee “safety.”

Reactions: Ldgator
This is silly. Everyone is basing this on the MAC. The MAC teams won't have many pay out games since teams are going all conference or a plus one. This hurts there conference and possibly assures losing money for the Athletic department. This is a financial decision for them. I hope the SEC, Big 12, and ACC play anyway. These players are safer on the team than in the general population...

Question for everyone talking about it being over after the election. I'm not denying the media is definitely hyping it and there are unfortunately politics at play.

However how do you explain the rest of the world and their ongoing restrictions and issues with it.
Will it be over in Brazil based on the US election?
I am all about conspiracy theories but pretending the rest of the world doesn't have the same issues is just beyond ridiculous

I dont think it's a matter of it really disappearing, but if one guy wins, his political allies in the press will almost immediately begin spinning the good news instead of bad. No more daily death counts, the economic news will only be positive, etc.

If the other guy wins, I doubt the media can drag it out 2 years to try and affect the next election. So itll probably turn into another impeachment push for the reaction to the disease.

Reactions: USCBruce
Believe me, I understand this is a dangerous disease, especially for high risk folks. But there are plenty of preventable hazards in this world which inflect plenty of pain and suffering. However, you can’t let the cure be worse than the disease and I believe we are close to that point now. I work every day knowing that I am in the most hazardous field there is. I know that if I get it I risk my Mom health (80 years old with HTN and Diabetes). But we tried staying away for three weeks and she about lost her mind. So I manage my risk as best I can. I believe we have seen evidence in the sports world that the risks of Covid can be managed, just like in many other areas of day to day life.

Yeah it’s just a crappy deal all around . My daughter is about to start her senior year in high school and it breaks my heart for her . No games , no pep rally’s , no homecoming or Proms . She’s taking it like a champ but it’s breaks my heart

Yeah it’s just a crappy deal all around . My daughter is about to start her senior year in high school and it breaks my heart for her . No games , no pep rally’s , no homecoming or Proms . She’s taking it like a champ but it’s breaks my heart
I feel your pain. My daughter was a Sr this last year and she’s about to start Freshman year at you know where and I’d bet they stay with the online model at least through Dec unless hospitalizations in SC drop significantly (was told that was the real reason they delayed in person was because the area hospitals didn’t have room for a “worse case scenario” outbreak amount students.

Governor Cooper is just not much!

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
I do agree that, in the event of cancellation, the liability concerns will be the driver, not any concerns about health.

Football and fall sports getting ready to be postponed at best or canceled in some cases. Liability too much for colleges. MAC and Big10 setting the stage. I am fairly certain the season won't happen. Wish it would but understand risks and its the safest thing to do. Online classes will be the norm this fall for colleges. Then reassess in spring. Maybe a vaccine and risk lowered substantially. Football probably next year 2021. Most posts have some truth in them above. Usually the truth is in the middle. Peace to all. COLASWAMI

if there is no vaccine in the next two years and numbers stay close to what they are now, are we saying no college sports for the next couple of years? At some point life has to go back to normal and let the chips fall where they may.

Not anymore. The world will now come to a full stop every time someone gets a paper cut. Just part of the plan.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT