ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson has showed us the blueprint for success. It's about players

They're on path to beat us so many times in a row that our 5 game winning streak against them will look like a joke.
It's called having a head coach who saw the bigger picture vs one who likes to deliver one liners and play golf. Every time Spurrier is on tv now, I get a sickening feeling. People still rag on Sparky and Brad. At least those two men never quit on their gamecock teams.

Quit sunshine pumping our recruiting. That has got to improve or nothing will change. Taters have better players at every position than us. We better figure out how clemson gets and keeps all their talent.
I agree and I should say coaches in general are not the brightest guys in the world. I seee Butch Jones being an office manager at Suburban Propane and Muschamp would be a service rep at GMC. Too much hope is put on coaches as they are just no better playcallers that some fans. Sucks we lost, since it was a coming out party.

I agree and I should say coaches in general are not the brightest guys in the world. I seee Butch Jones being an office manager at Suburban Propane and Muschamp would be a service rep at GMC. Too much hope is put on coaches as they are just no better playcallers that some fans. Sucks we lost, since it was a coming out party.

"The Muschamp as service Rep at GMC" made me laugh so hard I spit my drink across the room . Ed Oregeron always reminded me of that shady car salesman at the really sketchy used car lots on Two Notch .

I still think sparky gets a bad rap. He was hired to fix a fiasco of steroid use and a ton of other crap. He did that well. Also probably would have went bowling as Brad did. Brad took us from a bowl game to a 1-10 season. We jumped out of the pan and into the fire. We started going down hill with Spurrier when Penn state hired our strength coach and the other coach away. We should have paid up to keep them. This seems to be our problem....when we do find great asst. Coaches, we allow other programs to take them.

Report : Coach how would you describe your teams performance ??

Coach : Well not sure , but it would improve if we replaced your wiper blades and cleaned your headlights and fuel injectors . With your oil change it would ONLY be about $899 .... but just for today I'll throw in a free vacuuming just for you . Just sign right here ...

I still think sparky gets a bad rap. He was hired to fix a fiasco of steroid use and a ton of other crap. He did that well. Also probably would have went bowling as Brad did. Brad took us from a bowl game to a 1-10 season. We jumped out of the pan and into the fire. We started going down hill with Spurrier when Penn state hired our strength coach and the other coach away. We should have paid up to keep them. This seems to be our problem....when we do find great asst. Coaches, we allow other programs to take them.
I swear I think I just felt the ground shake.
Everything went south for Spurrier when we lost Ron Cooper, then Shane Beamer, then Ellis Johnson, then Brad Lawing.
I even remember some fans bragging about our staff and having coaches leave for higher positions and pay to other colleges. I just smdh

Everything went south for Spurrier when we lost Ron Cooper, then Shane Beamer, then Ellis Johnson, then Brad Lawing.
I even remember some fans bragging about our staff and having coaches leave for higher positions and pay to other colleges. I just smdh
I don't blame Ron Cooper for leaving the way ole one-liner humiliated him, after a win to boot, in front of the media.

I don't blame Ron Cooper for leaving the way ole one-liner humiliated him, after a win to boot, in front of the media.
IIRC it was worse than that. He last season here the CB's and safeties weren't even practicing together because of a rift between Cooper and Beamer. I know I mentioned both but if it came down to one or the other to me it would be a hard decision, but I believe I would keep the one that was doing a great job of coaching players on the field vs a guy that you gave a position because he was a good recruiting coordinator.

Reactions: sadd66
Quit sunshine pumping our recruiting. That has got to improve or nothing will change. Taters have better players at every position than us. We better figure out how clemson gets and keeps all their talent.
With that play calling last night, it wouldn't have been any different if we had all 5 stars. He sucks as an OC and i have said that from day one.

Good point.

Cooper, Lawing, and Johnson were all coaches too. Not just recruiters. They could cultivate and develop talent.

See Carolina is different kind of program. If you don't have talent hotbed in-state in numbers like the state of Georgia, Florida, etc., and you don't cheat.....well you gonna have to make do with what you get and coach them up.

The Spurrier era did land some top in-state talent, but we weren't deep. And some of our better players where less heralded players from the state of Georgia or "leftovers" from the state of Florida. The coaching aspect did the rest.

The reason why Clemson is where they are today, is because we showed them the blueprint and then Alabama gave them the finishing touches.

Spurrier's success at Carolina birthed Clemson's championship runs.

Remember during the 5-peat, Clemson still won. Dominated the ACC, but would still lose to us. They made it a point to schedule SEC teams for the regular season, Auburn, UGA. To get to that next level. They were all pumped up when they beat LSU in the bowl game. Why? Because we owned them and they knew it. They knew just owning the ACC wasn't enough. They were trying to prove a point they could hang with the SEC.

Spurrier lost his motivation and we lost great assistants who could coach. What was left was Spurrier delegating to assistants who were in over their head from a coaching and development standpoint. They could still bring in talent, but it didn't mean anything if there was no development. Meanwhile, Clemson was still recruiting ,still reaching for the next level and got the QB to put them over the top. Finally beating us really made them feel they were finally ready. Going toe-to-toe with Bama in that 1st title game solidified that belief. They finally won it last year.

Well, what about us? We have to be honest about who we exactly are. Recruiting is only half the battle. You still need some X's and O's, and coaching fundamentals.

Coaches leaving programs is a common. Bama has had people come ago. It is part of the profession. It is something you can't avoid. Especially when you are successful. People will want coaches from winning programs. At the time under Spurrier, that is what we were. Problem was we promoted people who suffered from the Peter principle in their new positions, and made hires that hires that were questionable in hindsight.

How do we get back to winning? It is going take a lot. It is going to take a special coach and staff. You can't lose sight of the fact of the combination of coaching + recruiting + development of talent. That cupboard is bare right now. Recruiting can help some of that. The question is do we have the staff to not only bring in talent, but also develop them. Can the staff outcoach opposing staffs on gameday?

It's called having a head coach who saw the bigger picture vs one who likes to deliver one liners and play golf. Every time Spurrier is on tv now, I get a sickening feeling. People still rag on Sparky and Brad. At least those two men never quit on their gamecock teams.

Agreed, people continue to kiss his arse. Most are just happy he took us somewhere that we hadn't been. Never mind how he screwed us over while making millions of dollars while doing it. I have no respect for him period.

Always has been about players, and superior talent. Always will be. Spurrier was a genius when he had talent. Not so much when he didn't. I can remember when Ellis Johnson was suddenly thought of as the defensive guru of the age. Different story when he landed at So. Miss. Suddenly he was an idiot. Same with Whammy. When he took over USC still had a ton of talent. Can actually remember folks saying that first year that maybe Whammy was the real genius behind the scenes. Then the talent left, and suddenly he didn't have a clue. As far as Clemson, they have the talent. Venebles is a great example. He was about to get run out of Oklahoma in a rail because his scheme couldn't stop cold. Clemson bailed him out as they needed a new DC, and suddenly a few years later and loaded with talent he is considered the defensive genius of the college game. It the Jimmys and the Joes a whole lot more than it has ever been the x's and the o's.

Until we find and hire an offensive innovator, we are going to suffer fair to poor performances for a long time. Our offense today is horrible and wears our defense out. Roper should attend ever first defensive meeting every week and apologize to those players and coaches.

Always has been about players, and superior talent. Always will be. Spurrier was a genius when he had talent. Not so much when he didn't. I can remember when Ellis Johnson was suddenly thought of as the defensive guru of the age. Different story when he landed at So. Miss. Suddenly he was an idiot. Same with Whammy. When he took over USC still had a ton of talent. Can actually remember folks saying that first year that maybe Whammy was the real genius behind the scenes. Then the talent left, and suddenly he didn't have a clue. As far as Clemson, they have the talent. Venebles is a great example. He was about to get run out of Oklahoma in a rail because his scheme couldn't stop cold. Clemson bailed him out as they needed a new DC, and suddenly a few years later and loaded with talent he is considered the defensive genius of the college game. It the Jimmys and the Joes a whole lot more than it has ever been the x's and the o's.

I dont know why people keep saying this. You realize Stoops called when he was on his way to interview with Clemson asking him to reconsider right? You also realize that Oklahoma offered to match what Clemson was offering for him to stay. He didnt like the idea of Stoops bringing his brother back in to help with the defense. Also you should consider that maybe Stoops was putting his hands in the defense to much and Venables wanted a chance to prove he could do it his way. Dabo offered him the chance to run it his way and he jumped at it. Our defense has been improving with him from day one even before he had the beast he has now. He improved our defense from 65th in total D his first season to 24th his second to #1 his third year. You dont get the players in one or two seasons to jump 64 spots in the rankings.

Every time Spurrier is on tv now, I get a sickening feeling. People still rag on Sparky and Brad. At least those two men never quit on their gamecock teams.

I don't care if 5 years from now we get put on probation for the Spurrier years, it would still be easier to look at Spurrier than Fat Brad or Sparky. Sparkys best year started 0-5 and Fat Brad turned us into Tulane by the time he was done.

It's not easy to stomach the Spurrier ending but you're choosing to leave out the best run in school history hands down

I don't care if 5 years from now we get put on probation for the Spurrier years, it would still be easier to look at Spurrier than Fat Brad or Sparky. Sparkys best year started 0-5 and Fat Brad turned us into Tulane by the time he was done.

It's not easy to stomach the Spurrier ending but you're choosing to leave out the best run in school history hands down

So you're the guy who says I can live with it if Spurrier broke the rules and SC is placed on probation and that would hurt the current players at the time probation happened.. so what...he won for a few years....yep, that's what you're saying..gotcha..makes a whole lot of sense

Reactions: Jpcooper
So you're the guy who says I can live with it if Spurrier broke the rules and SC is placed on probation and that would hurt the current players at the time probation happened.. so what...he won for a few years....yep, that's what you're saying..gotcha

First of all Spurrier has never had a team even sniff probation. Second of all, a few years of 9, 10, 11 wins is nothing to sniff at given the past or present state of affairs

First of all Spurrier has never had a team even sniff probation. Second of all, a few years of 9, 10, 11 wins is nothing to sniff at given the past or present state of affairs

Hey, you're the one that offered the scenario...... not me
Since you're ok with a probation scenario , lets cheat now

Hey, you're the one that offered the scenario......

I'm fine debating with you. The facts are:
1. Spurrier had the best run in school history
2. Spurrier left us in the crapper.

While #2 sucks, I'd take it to experience 1. It was the best run in school history. Heck you, me or our kids may not live to see a better run. Too early to tell if that is a fact but it very well could be.

Reactions: Hollydoo
I'm fine debating with you. The facts are:
1. Spurrier had the best run in school history
2. Spurrier left us in the crapper.

While #2 sucks, I'd take it to experience 1. It was the best run in school history. Heck you, me or our kids may not live to see a better run. Too early to tell if that is a fact but it very well could be.

Its not pretty when you "quit" a program that is in worse shape than you found it 10 years before

"No, they just sucked at the beginning & sucked worse at the end"

Completely false about Brad. We might have been at our lowest point ever when he came in. He gave us hope, a high scoring offense, and some wins we could be proud of; including our first ever bowl win. He also recruited us to 2 Outback Bowl wins. So stop the BS because you got your panties in a wad over him riding shoulders off the field.

You want to dislike him fine, but don't skew the facts. Short memories I tell ya.

Spurrier can suck it. We sure will be for a good number of years to come thanks to him.

Reactions: griffgolf

Completely false about Brad. We might have been at our lowest point ever when he came in. He gave us hope, a high scoring offense, and some wins we could be proud of; including our first ever bowl win. He also recruited us to 2 Outback Bowl wins. So stop the BS because you got your panties in a wad over him riding shoulders off the field.

You want to dislike him fine, but don't skew the facts. Short memories I tell ya..

Completely true about Fat Brad is 1-10 his last year and 0-11 the next in Holtz first season. How can you realistically argue that Brad Scott left this program better off than Spurrier? We should have left him in Nashville after he lost to a horrible Vandy team.

Brad Scott didn't leave enough offense to beat a middle school when he left. We had one of the best defenses Holtz first season but couldn't score a point. Those are facts too

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield

You want to dislike him fine, but don't skew the facts. Short memories I tell ya.

Spurrier can suck it. We sure will be for a good number of years to come thanks to him.
Well, I never thought I'd ever live to see the day Fat Brad was praised over Spurrier.

Good point.

Cooper, Lawing, and Johnson were all coaches too. Not just recruiters. They could cultivate and develop talent.

See Carolina is different kind of program. If you don't have talent hotbed in-state in numbers like the state of Georgia, Florida, etc., and you don't cheat.....well you gonna have to make do with what you get and coach them up.

The Spurrier era did land some top in-state talent, but we weren't deep. And some of our better players where less heralded players from the state of Georgia or "leftovers" from the state of Florida. The coaching aspect did the rest.

The reason why Clemson is where they are today, is because we showed them the blueprint and then Alabama gave them the finishing touches.

Remember during the 5-peat, Clemson still won. Dominated the ACC, but would still lose to us. They made it a point to schedule SEC teams for the regular season, Auburn, UGA. To get to that next level. They were all pumped up when they beat LSU in the bowl game. Why? Because we owned them and they knew it. They knew just owning the ACC wasn't enough. They were trying to prove a point they could hang with the SEC.

Spurrier lost his motivation and we lost great assistants who could coach. What was left was Spurrier delegating to assistants who were in over their head from a coaching and development standpoint. They could still bring in talent, but it didn't mean anything if there was no development. Meanwhile, Clemson was still recruiting ,still reaching for the next level and got the QB to put them over the top. Finally beating us really made them feel they were finally ready. Going toe-to-toe with Bama in that 1st title game solidified that belief. They finally won it last year.

Well, what about us? We have to be honest about who we exactly are. Recruiting is only half the battle. You still need some X's and O's, and coaching fundamentals.

Coaches leaving programs is a common. Bama has had people come ago. It is part of the profession. It is something you can't avoid. Especially when you are successful. People will want coaches from winning programs. At the time under Spurrier, that is what we were. Problem was we promoted people who suffered from the Peter principle in their new positions, and made hires that hires that were questionable in hindsight.

How do we get back to winning? It is going take a lot. It is going to take a special coach and staff. You can't lose sight of the fact of the combination of coaching + recruiting + development of talent. That cupboard is bare right now. Recruiting can help some of that. The question is do we have the staff to not only bring in talent, but also develop them. Can the staff outcoach opposing staffs on gameday?
Your contention is that Dabo and Clemson learned how to win...because Spurrier and USC showed them how? That's pretty farfetched, even for this board. Dabo had a national championship ring before Spurrier. He probably understood the value of having talented players on your team way back when he was actually playing football.

Reactions: ymbi and Jpcooper
Good point.

Seriously? USC showed Clemson the way. Wow. You guys think the game of football started in 2009. That's hilarious.

Reactions: Jpcooper
Good point.

How do we get back to winning? It is going take a lot. It is going to take a special coach and staff. You can't lose sight of the fact of the combination of coaching + recruiting + development of talent. That cupboard is bare right now. Recruiting can help some of that. The question is do we have the staff to not only bring in talent but also develop them. Can the staff outcoach opposing staffs on gameday?
I would somewhat agree with this post. While I agree that Spurrier teams showed Clemson the way with the great defenses we had, thereby leading to the hiring of Venables, I would also have to say it was our greatest LOSS that showed Clemson the way. When we got stomped by Auburn in the 2010 SEC championship game by a Gus Malzahn offense led by Cam Newton, I believe that raised some eyebrows in Clemson so they ended up looking for a Malzahn disciple. This led to the hiring of Chad Morris and the recruitment of Watson at QB. The rest, as they say, is history.

Reactions: griffgolf
Roper is horrible! I think Muschamp is a good coach, but if he keeps this "pro style" (ex- Cleveland Browns
OC) he will loose his job! Yes, the kicking game sucked. Yes, Bentley was good but missed on a few. Yes, our OLine was aweful. But, still...we had chances to score TDs. Offensive play calling was worst I have ever seen!

Good point.

Post of the month, my friend! So very true!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT