ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson name change

To be honest with you I'm no Clemson fan but the day they have to change their name will be the day I'll turn off this Communist garbage. Instead of spending money on football it will be more about expanding my weaponry. This is the miserable crap that happens when a Country is coming to an end.

Reactions: USC75Grad
I think they should. A poster above made an excellent point. How can you remove the names of a couple of racist names on campus but yet not remove the name of one of the biggest racist for whom the institution is named? How can that be? It makes no sense whatsoever.

UofSC will be first to change as we can no longer be South Carolins. Our State is named for Charles I of England. He was a primo racist who granted a licence to a syndicate of traders that gave them royal approval to transport enslaved Africans from Guinea. No "Carolina" no slaves...

UofSC will be first to change as we can no longer be South Carolins. Our State is named for Charles I of England. He was a primo racist who granted a licence to a syndicate of traders that gave them royal approval to transport enslaved Africans from Guinea. No "Carolina" no slaves...

Re-naming a state is not going to happen, however, re-naming Clemson will happen at some point in time. So, to get a head start, you might want to start thinking of some names now!

I used to respect you and your post. Regardless of school rivalry, this nonsense has to stop.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/terry-crews-cites-nick-cannons-racist-anti-white-comments-i-told-ya-so??utm_source=twitter

I'm not saying it is a good thing, okay. In fact, some of the things happening in Asheville is down right disgraceful to me.
But, I've seen a lot of things happen in the last few months I thought I would never see. Washington, as you know, is changing the team's nickname. I never thought I would see that. But it's happening and I would agree with the question, where does it stop?

Last edited:
At what point would your hypothetical "historical cleansing" be satisfied? One thing would certainly lead to another, and mankind being very flawed it would never end. You would need an army of truth squads to scour each cranny of historical society for impure actions in the past, in order to cancel anyone who does not profusely repudiate them. Family member would be denouncing family member.

The black people of Ben Tillman's era forgave Tillman for the hatred he evoked. They did not love Tillman, but they were not consumed and engulfed in hatred.

Let me be clear, it's not my cleansing that has to be satisfied. It's the social justice warriors that have to be satisfied. I'm not for changing everything especially history. But's it's happening. Again, all we need to do is look all around us. Where is this craziness going to stop who knows? But I think the SJW are just getting warmed up. As I said above, I've seen things happen with name changing, monuments destroyed, taken down, etc. that I thought I would never see- but it's happened.

To be honest with you I'm no Clemson fan but the day they have to change their name will be the day I'll turn off this Communist garbage. Instead of spending money on football it will be more about expanding my weaponry. This is the miserable crap that happens when a Country is coming to an end.

you should already be doing this.....

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Freddie, I beg to differ, clemp by no way was “one of the biggest” racists........we should not judge people today by the standards of a day we know little of, much less understand......now that being said.....the name should be changed to Abe u.....oh, wait, he was one of the biggest, but we weren’t taught the behind the scene stories.......One has to dig for the full story......it was hidden in the back stacks of mckissick library.

This all would have been a much simpler matter if Tillman had followed the wishes of clemp & named it Calhoun college.

People today have been raised on clearing their browsing history..........makes sense to them that if u can’t see it, it didn’t exist.

Well, if he wasn't the biggest racist he was close behind Tillman. Someone posted some of Clemson's documents that was written by him and I'm paraphrasing - slaves have it better than any labors in the world. Yes, we shouldn't look through the lens of the 21st century and judge people that lived in the 19th century but it's being done everyday. Again, look at the name changes that are taking place now and that tells me there could be a name change in the future for Clemson. I'm not saying that is a good thing but I truly believe it will be coming.

Last edited:
Clemp ain’t changing their name, but the protests would make good viewing.......film@ 11........wyff is such a whore.

They aren't going to right now but I would be highly surprised if there was not a big push to change the name in the future. When Nike and other big time sponsors start to turn on them like they did Washington, there is no guarantee what may happen. Money talks.

And I'm not saying that is a good thing, okay, but nothing surprises me in this crazy woke country today.

That may happen, too! But, Clemson will be changing their name at sometime in the future, it won't be the near future but it will happen.

All Confederate monuments have been removed or are in the process of being moved in Asheville, NC. Asheville, NC! And I'm not saying it's a good thing BUT IT'S GOING TO HAPPEN!
Asheville and progressives
you should already be doing this.....

Just got my 2nd AR today from Palmetto Armory.

Well, if he wasn't the biggest racist he was close behind Tillman. Someone posted some of Clemson's documents that was written by him and I'm paraphrasing - slaves have it better than any labors in the world. Yes, we shouldn't look through the lens of the 21st century and judge people that lived in the 19th century but it's being done everyday. Again, look at the name changes that are taking place now and that tells me there could be a name change in the future for Clemson. I'm not saying that is a good thing but I truly believe it will be coming.

With the rapture?

no, it should remain to remind them they came from his LOINS.........if not, they’ll begin to believe they be like the rest of us, then they’ll think they ain’t rednecks......just think of it in a lager picture.......Being called rednecks in the state of South Carolina. It’s sooooo ironic:)
None of what you said makes any sense

With the rapture?

No, sadly the name change will be a long time before the rapture. I'm not saying that is what I want to see happen and in fact I don't want to see the name of Clemson University changed. There are Clemson posters on this board that I like and respect. But based on what I've recently seen I can't help but believe it very well could happen.

Last edited:
Wasn't that long ago that Calhoun, SC changed it's name to Clemson, SC.

Originally, that place was known as Fort Hill, after the plantation. I have seen that name on old Clemson rings. Can’t remember when the name was changed to Clemson.

I think all this name changing and cancel culture, and erasing history needs to stop. As much as I hate Clemson, they shouldn't have to change their name because a small fraction of people want to erase our history.
I don't think it's possible to erase history. It has already happened so it will always be there. There will always be books and museums that tell and show the story of the past. They have gotten a little excessive with the desire to tear down statues but I agree that some of them need to go. Why glorify evil men? I'd really like to see the destruction of that Ben Tillman statue in Columbia. He was a vile and disgusting human being.

I’ve been thinking about this thread all day and have done some serious critical thinking about the topic. I have said in other posts that I appreciate all poster’s points of view, etc and that I change my mind from time to time because some posters bring different views, prospective, etc. to a particular topic. And that is what I love about GamecockCentral is you get a lot of good information on a number of topics. I don’t want to be considered so bull headed that I never change my mind.

So as I was thinking about this thread today, I tried to put it on a personal level and look at it from a different point of view and try to understand why Clemson University should not be required to change their name.

I was born near the end of WWII and when I was born my mother’s baby brother was missing in action in the US Army somewhere in Europe. So when I was born she named me after him. Well, he was later found along with many of his fellow soldiers that had been captured with him. And that was good. But as it turned out he returned home after the war and just turned out to be a horrible person and I will just leave it at that.

However, I bear part of his name but I am nothing like him, in fact I am 180 degrees from being the kind of person he was.

And I hope no one holds it against me because of the things he did and the fact I was named after him.

Hence, regardless of what Thomas G Clemson did in the 1800s Clemson University, today is nothing like Thomas G Clemson. Hence the name Clemson should not be looked upon as racist. Again, Clemson does many great things for all minorities; the institution today does not represent what Thomas G Clemson stood for in the 1800s.

With that being said, I still think the Social Justice Warriors will come after Clemson to try and force them to change the name of the university. Whether or not they will be successful remains to be seen. I’ve seen so much in the last few months and years, things I thought I would never see and as we know “never say never”. However, I don’t think Clemson should be required to change the name of the university. There is no rightful justification for that type of action.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silver_Coconut
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT