ADVERTISEMENT

clemson vs. SEC

You know that narrative might sound good if it weren't for the fact that we beat the #7 team in the country that had won 24 out of their last 25 games in Ohio state. So that clearly justifies us deserving to be there. In 2011 when we went to the orange bowl, we won our conference. Also justified us being there.

Maybe you would have gotten to a bcs game if you didn't lose to unranked teams during your golden era of outback bowls.

clemson was the 'poster child' for the diminishment of BCS bowl panache' before the playoff system - and why bowls should NOT have conference tie-ins ... as the previous poster pointed out, clemson's other recent OB 'appearances' were both preceded by losses (DOUBLE-DIGIT losses) to 'Carolina ... not the 5-point, thank gawd for watson W clem squeaked by with this year - we beat you on the field, we had a better record and 'clemson' went to a BCS while SC did not? HA!!!

THAT ALONE diminished the 'value' of a 'designated' BCS bowl ... and fans EVERYWHERE acknowledged it (as did the polls) SC finishing HIGHER than clemson in both those years.

The most meaningful 'win' in clemson history occurred last week against the Sooners ... much more meaningful than that 'back up to the pay window' '81 OB win against a 3-loss Nebraska team while the country's BEST teams were beating themselves up elsewhere - allowing clemson to win by default without ever playing Penn State, Ohio State, Notre Dame or Georgia ... ALL of them better teams than clemson was in 1981.

So, what cha' gonna' do against Alabama? No 'backing in' in 2015. Beat 'Bama and you will be 'the champion'. Lose (which I don't think I KNOW you will) and that still won't make you "2nd-best" ... it'll mean you got there by zigs and zags through a cush-schedule. ALL the 'big WINS' wins clemson claimed in 2015 got trounced in their own bowl games. ALL of them!

Can clemson beat 'Bama? Sure, if they turn it over 5-times like they did against 'ol Miss ... but that ain't gonna' happen. clemson's had a GREAT year - but the bubble is about to burst. The 'mask' is coming off. It's going to be WORSE that all that hype a few years back about Notre Dame - which was CLEARLY inferior to 'Bama once the actual NC game began. That year ND played the 'crip' schedule, got the bounces and rode the hype. Then they got mauled.

clemson is gonna' get mauled, too. And then 'next year' will be a whole new year.

Reactions: Upstate81
It was Jan 2013 that USC deserved the OB over CU.
You didn't deserve the orange bowl because you lost to unranked Tennessee and weren't in the top 2 of your league. It's that simple. Don't crap the bed against bad teams and you would have gotten to a big boys bowl like Clemson has been to numerous times. Either way, we beat a great Ohio St team in that bowl and that justified us being there. The only reason you finished the season ranked so high is because 1.) You played crappy big ten teams in your bowl games that were barely ranked in the top 20 and 2.) The teams that played in big boy bowls lost against highly rated teams dropped and y'all replaced them. Had y'all played in a big boys bowl you wouldn't have finished in the top 5.

You didn't deserve the orange bowl because you lost to unranked Tennessee and weren't in the top 2 of your league. It's that simple. Don't crap the bed against bad teams and you would have gotten to a big boys bowl like Clemson has been to numerous times. Either way, we beat a great Ohio St team in that bowl and that justified us being there. The only reason you finished the season ranked so high is because 1.) You played crappy big ten teams in your bowl games that were barely ranked in the top 20 and 2.) The teams that played in big boy bowls lost against highly rated teams dropped and y'all replaced them. Had y'all played in a big boys bowl you wouldn't have finished in the top 5.

SC beat Clemson both of those seasons, so yes SC deserved the better ranking.

Also proved that year that the 3rd or 4th best team in the SEC was better than the 1st or 2nd best team in the ACC. There's no arguing that, you know, since SC beat Clemson head to head. Pound your chest all you want about Clemson winning the Orange Bowl both of those seasons, but it doesn't change the fact that USC beat Clemson both years and finished with a better ranking in the final polls. The BCS poll, the Coaches poll, and the AP Poll.

clemson was the 'poster child' for the diminishment of BCS bowl panache' before the playoff system - and why bowls should NOT have conference tie-ins ... as the previous poster pointed out, clemson's other recent OB 'appearances' were both preceded by losses (DOUBLE-DIGIT losses) to 'Carolina ... not the 5-point, thank gawd for watson W clem squeaked by with this year - we beat you on the field, we had a better record and 'clemson' went to a BCS while SC did not? HA!!!

THAT ALONE diminished the 'value' of a 'designated' BCS bowl ... and fans EVERYWHERE acknowledged it (as did the polls) SC finishing HIGHER than clemson in both those years.

The most meaningful 'win' in clemson history occurred last week against the Sooners ... much more meaningful than that 'back up to the pay window' '81 OB win against a 3-loss Nebraska team while the country's BEST teams were beating themselves up elsewhere - allowing clemson to win by default without ever playing Penn State, Ohio State, Notre Dame or Georgia ... ALL of them better teams than clemson was in 1981.

So, what cha' gonna' do against Alabama? No 'backing in' in 2015. Beat 'Bama and you will be 'the champion'. Lose (which I don't think I KNOW you will) and that still won't make you "2nd-best" ... it'll mean you got there by zigs and zags through a cush-schedule. ALL the 'big WINS' wins clemson claimed in 2015 got trounced in their own bowl games. ALL of them!

Can clemson beat 'Bama? Sure, if they turn it over 5-times like they did against 'ol Miss ... but that ain't gonna' happen. clemson's had a GREAT year - but the bubble is about to burst. The 'mask' is coming off. It's going to be WORSE that all that hype a few years back about Notre Dame - which was CLEARLY inferior to 'Bama once the actual NC game began. That year ND played the 'crip' schedule, got the bounces and rode the hype. Then they got mauled.

clemson is gonna' get mauled, too. And then 'next year' will be a whole new year.

Clemson did beat Georgia in the 81 season by 10 points.

Well this troll was wondering how you play football for 100+ years and have never played in a major bowl game. How is that possible? Even in your glory years you still only played in the outback bowl, against teams barely in the top 20.

In those glory years where we finished #4 in the nation and beat ya'll ass's by double digits ( something you could not even do this year with your #1 team) we had to play in a lesser bowl because of our loaded conference where you played in a higher bowl because there were only two teams that deserved to be in a bowl period from your conference. Your puffed up numbers only show us what we have know for a long time. The ACC sux!!

For GOODNESS sake man! CU is playing for the NC and we've been at home. It doesn't matter who they played or what their record is against teams from the past. If they beat Alabama (which I doubt they do) do you really think future records are going to say well there were 0-14 against 'Bama before winning the NC, I don't think I want to go there. Hate Clemson all you want but don't post dumb a@# stuff like this. It makes all Gamecocks look like losers.

Last edited:
For GOODNESS sake man! CU is playing for the NC and we've been at home. It doesn't matter who they played or what there record is against teams from the past. If they beat Alabama (which I doubt they do) do you really think future records are going to say well there were 0-14 against 'Bama before winning the NC, I don't think I want to go there. Hate Clemson all you want but do post dumb a@# stuff like this. It makes all Gamecocks look like losers.
You're too smart for this board.

Here's a conclusion for ya.....your sorry school won 3 games and lost to the CITADEL, and the Clemson Tigers just won ANOTHER orange bowl and are playing for ANOTHER national championship.

But hey, y'all have BOOM!! He is god in shamecock country because he is out recruiting like every other coach is doing. Congrats on your 11th place sec recruiting class, while Clemson's class is #5 in the country, AGAIN!
And yet you feel compelled to come on a Gamecock forum and trying to piss off fans here.

You deserve to be locked up on Bull St if you're too damn stupid to see a higher ranked team (SC) could NOT have been selected, because of the BCS rules. SC beat better competition than you, including you, and finished higher than you. It takes an idiot to argue that a higher ranked team that raped you didn't deserve a better bowl.

You're too smart for this board.

I'm sorry, I thought this was free forum that encouraged posters to share their opinions. You may not agree with my opinion, but that doesn't make me wrong. Honestly, whether you agree with me, or not, doesn't really matter to me. I couldn't care less. You chose to click and read this thread, no one forced you.

I'm sorry, I thought this was free forum that encouraged posters to share their opinions. You may not agree with my opinion, but that doesn't make me wrong. Honestly, whether you agree with me, or not, doesn't really matter to me. I couldn't care less. You chose to click and read this thread, no one forced you.
You'll have to forgive Jeff2001, it's going to be a stressful week for him. His beloved taters are about the face the baddest of the bad and even Dabo had some doubt in his voice during his first interview today. He popped that tape in to see what kind of neat gadget plays and trick plays they could pull on Alabama. All he saw was the best front 7 in ALL of college football. He then started with preparing the tater fan base with the "we are young this year, we don't have much depth at defensive line, we are starting a true freshman now with Lawson out.". He sounded like a man that had just pooped his pants more than he did a man that was excited about playing for the NC.

Clemson has played vandy 4 times and not since 1960. I'm pretty sure if they played them every year since the early 90's they would have dominated them. Clemson has only played Kentucky 13 times and most of those were in bowl games when they had good teams. Again, if they played them every year since the early 90's, you know and I know the records would be quite different. But hey, that's being rational, not SC fans strong suits.

Steve, Clemson "fans" are not a bastion of rationality. And your arrogance is typical of your group. You are not UVA or UNC.....you are Clemson...a university started by redneck segregationists for other redneck segregationists. Understanding Clemson's history is
obviously not your strong suit !

You'll have to forgive Jeff2001, it's going to be a stressful week for him. His beloved taters are about the face the baddest of the bad and even Dabo had some doubt in his voice during his first interview today. He popped that tape in to see what kind of neat gadget plays and trick plays they could pull on Alabama. All he saw was the best front 7 in ALL of college football. He then started with preparing the tater fan base with the "we are young this year, we don't have much depth at defensive line, we are starting a true freshman now with Lawson out.". He sounded like a man that had just pooped his pants more than he did a man that was excited about playing for the NC.
You will have forgive bob and other like him. Who are just jealous of clemson and are constantly making excuses as to why they are the NC game.

Can we combine all the tater posts? Just tip your hat to them and hope Bama beats them. I just wish 1/3 of the tater hyperventilating posters would show our basketball team some love.

You will have forgive bob and other like him. Who are just jealous of clemson and are constantly making excuses as to why they are the NC game.
You ain't heard excuses yet my friend. I'm looking forward to all the bs excuses Clemson will use Tuesday morning. They're already testing out the "we don't get to practice as much as Bama" pathetic excuse.

You ain't heard excuses yet my friend. I'm looking forward to all the bs excuses Clemson will use Tuesday morning. They're already testing out the "we don't get to practice as much as Bama" pathetic excuse.
I agree, I think bama will win. But how about 1 second of truth? There is nothing pathetic about being in the NC game.

Reactions: 5pointsalum16
I agree, I think bama will win. But how about 1 second of truth? There is nothing pathetic about being in the NC game.
Never said there was. Never said they didn't deserve to be there. Notre Dame deserved to be there a few years ago too. They got beaten down. Clemson is going to lose this game by 10 points or more and it'll be obvious from the first snap that Bama is just more physical. It'll show up in the second half and the fat lady will be singing.

The Orange Bowl was not going to pick USC over Clemson in any event that year, so it doesn't matter whether or not there was a limit on the number of teams from a conference.
This is why nobody likes you and wants to see you all get embarrassed. Jeff and 5points wanna suck the toes of tater farmers around here but you aholes have done zilch to earn respect. You aren't reasonable people.

This is why nobody likes you and wants to see you all get embarrassed. Jeff and 5points wanna suck the toes of tater farmers around here but you aholes have done zilch to earn respect. You aren't reasonable people.
That's what will make the collapse Monday night so much sweeter. Reality will begin to set in mid 3rd quarter and the 4th will be excruciating for the taters watching their beloved team get physically beaten up like a street walker that hides money from her pimp.

SS1, I'm glad you exist to post. Always puts a smile on my face. Looking forward to your next novel.

Reactions: Upstate81
Nope that's what espn said. We didn't use all our practice time against OU

That's what will make the collapse Monday night so much sweeter. Reality will begin to set in mid 3rd quarter and the 4th will be excruciating for the taters watching their beloved team get physically beaten up like a street walker that hides money from her pimp.
Robert at this point I just hope you're right, because you, along with 95% of the people on this board are predicting a Bama blowout. How you fail to see how talented this Clemson team is at this point in the season is baffling to me. Clemson is so much better on offense than Alabama, and if you really think a Deshaun Watson quarterbacked team is going to get blown out of any college football game you're outside of your mind. I get it, everyone on this board wants to see Clemson get killed. I get that, but when you make these absurd predictions, tater fans are going to be on this board on Tuesday morning drooling. I can't even fathom what they are going to say. THERE IS A REASON THEY ARE 14-0......this isn't even close to Bama's best national championship team in the 2000's. This is a solid offense and loaded defense that has been exposed already this season to a far weaker version of the offense that they will face Monday night. You know I'm taking Clemson and the points, but if I lose I won't lose a second of sleep over it because we won't have to deal with what will likely be the equivalent of the apocalypse for gamecock nation on Tuesday morning.

And one more question that I want you to answer seriously...when the taters show up on this board Tuesday morning if they pull the upset, what are you going to say to them? After all these outrageous predictions, how do you come back from that? This isn't just directed at you, either. This is for all of Gamecock nation who refuses to give that team from the upstate even the smallest amount of credit for what they've done this season. Call me a tater all you want, but I'm way too smart to sit there and predict something like this, knowing what I would have coming for me if I'm wrong. Bama by 1-6 and I'll be the happiest man alive. Go cocks.

Robert at this point I just hope you're right, because you, along with 95% of the people on this board are predicting a Bama blowout. How you fail to see how talented this Clemson team is at this point in the season is baffling to me. Clemson is so much better on offense than Alabama, and if you really think a Deshaun Watson quarterbacked team is going to get blown out of any college football game you're outside of your mind. I get it, everyone on this board wants to see Clemson get killed. I get that, but when you make these absurd predictions, tater fans are going to be on this board on Tuesday morning drooling. I can't even fathom what they are going to say. THERE IS A REASON THEY ARE 14-0......this isn't even close to Bama's best national championship team in the 2000's. This is a solid offense and loaded defense that has been exposed already this season to a far weaker version of the offense that they will face Monday night. You know I'm taking Clemson and the points, but if I lose I won't lose a second of sleep over it because we won't have to deal with what will likely be the equivalent of the apocalypse for gamecock nation on Tuesday morning.
And you aren't seeing how this game is eerily similar to the 2013 National Chmapionship. The spread for that game was only 9 for Bama, Notre Dame ran the spread, had the #1 scoring defense, #6 rushing defense, played a schedule that mimicked Clemsons this year as far as strength goes. Go compare ND's schedule and stats and then go compare Clemson. ND had 4 guys on that team get drafted in the first round. I'm not saying this game will be 42-14 but it'll be a double digit win. You haven't been listening to what Saban has been saying, this team is dialed in. Even he can't complain about their focus and he always finds something to complain about. This might not be the most talented Bama team but it's the most focused he's had with the best leaderships he's ever had. Bama has always gone into championship games against better QB's and made them look like fools. Watson will have his moments but he's never faced a test like this in his college career.

And one more question that I want you to answer seriously...when the taters show up on this board Tuesday morning if they pull the upset, what are you going to say to them? After all these outrageous predictions, how do you come back from that? This isn't just directed at you, either. This is for all of Gamecock nation who refuses to give that team from the upstate even the smallest amount of credit for what they've done this season. Call me a tater all you want, but I'm way too smart to sit there and predict something like this, knowing what I would have coming for me if I'm wrong. Bama by 1-6 and I'll be the happiest man alive. Go cocks.
I'll be right here. The question is will we see you when you see that I'm right in my prediction?

And you aren't seeing how this game is eerily similar to the 2013 National Chmapionship. The spread for that game was only 9 for Bama, Notre Dame ran the spread, had the #1 scoring defense, #6 rushing defense, played a schedule that mimicked Clemsons this year as far as strength goes. Go compare ND's schedule and stats and then go compare Clemson. ND had 4 guys on that team get drafted in the first round. I'm not saying this game will be 42-14 but it'll be a double digit win. You haven't been listening to what Saban has been saying, this team is dialed in. Even he can't complain about their focus and he always finds something to complain about. This might not be the most talented Bama team but it's the most focused he's had with the best leaderships he's ever had. Bama has always gone into championship games against better QB's and made them look like fools. Watson will have his moments but he's never faced a test like this in his college career.
Please don't tell me you're trying to compare a true freshman Everett Golson to the Deshaun Watson of today. Clemson is loaded with NFL talent on both sides of the ball. Notre Dame had one solid NFL player on defense that season and he was asleep that entire football game. (Te'o) I'll put it to you this way and this is the last thing I'm going to say, I'm not betting against a guy (Watson) that has never lost a college football game when he's started and played the whole game. I'm not betting against a coaching staff that has won 51 games in a row while leading going into the 4th. I'm not betting against a team that has won 17 games in a row and has the longest active winning streak in the nation. I'm not betting against arguably the nations top corner and defensive end against this Alabama offense. ALL WHILE THEY'RE GETTING 7 POINTS. The main advantages Alabama distinctly has going into this game is Derrick Henry, the front 7 (which is still debatable because Clemson's is outstanding), offensive line, return game, and Nick Saban. I've told you, and everyone on this board I still think Alabama will somehow find a way to win this football game, but it's going to be incredibly close. IF for some reason Alabama doesn't completely dominate the line of scrimmage, not only will Clemson win, but it could be the disaster you're talking about and in the opposite direction. And yes Robert, my favorite sport is basketball I will be here on Tuesday morning.

Last edited:
No, he's what you call rational and reasonable. And on this board, I'm a tater for sticking up for him.
on small talk, jeff is rational and reasonable. on fgf and tif, he is a tater apologist from waaaay back. has been known to diss gamecocks on tater boards. so in other words, you have just embarrassed yourself

Please don't tell me you're trying to compare a true freshman Everett Golson to the Deshaun Watson of today. Clemson is loaded with NFL talent on both sides of the ball. Notre Dame had one solid NFL player on defense that season and he was asleep that entire football game. (Te'o) I'll put it to you this way and this is the last thing I'm going to say, I'm not betting against a guy (Watson) that has never lost a college football game when he's started and played the whole game. I'm not betting against a coaching staff that has one 51 games in a row while leading going into the 4th. I'm not betting against a team that has won 17 games in a row and has the longest active winning streak in the nation. I'm not betting against arguably the nations top corner and defensive end against this Alabama offense. ALL WHILE THEY'RE GETTING 7 POINTS. The main advantages Alabama distinctly has going into this game is Derrick Henry, the front 7 (which is still debatable because Clemson's is outstanding), offensive line, return game, and Nick Saban. I've told you, and everyone on this board I still think Alabama will somehow find a way to win this football game, but it's going to be incredibly close. IF for some reason Alabama doesn't completely dominate the line of scrimmage, not only will Clemson win, but it could be the disaster you're talking about and in the opposite direction. And yes Robert, my favorite sport is basketball I will be here on Tuesday morning.
Actually Notre Dame had 4 first round draft picks off that team. Golson hadn't lost a college game until the championship game either. They also had the #1 defense and 7 all-Americans. They also beat 4 ranked teams, crushed 2 top 10's. I'm not making these stats up, they're there for everyone to see. If I were you I wouldn't bet on Alabama because it sounds like you think Clemson is going to blow them out. I don't get why you're betting on Bama to begin with when you think Clemson is the better team. You say "Bama will find a way to win", doesn't all great teams do that? Are you saying Clemson is so great but will find a way to lose? I don't get your reasoning at all. Bama by 10+. You heard it here first.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT