ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson's Trevor Lawrence proposes to longtime girlfriend: 'Everything I've dreamed of'

Single life? I never had one of those. I married the girl I met at a 13 year old birthday party. We started “dating” if you can call it that 2 weeks later. We have been married 30 years. I wouldn’t change anything. Not everyone one has to have this chick filled “single life”as you state.

Im not even talking about a “chick filled” single life. Didn’t even allude to it. I’m talking about him having some of his own time, not tethered to anyone while he’s 21, 22, 23, when he’s going to have more opportunity to do amazing things than 99.9% of the world. He’s 20, so he has no perception of the world he’s about to step into, and also has no idea of how she will impede that world (not intentionally, but simply because she is his fiancé). He has his whole life to be married to her - but not to be a young, single, millionaire who can selfishly think about himself while he’s still of the age where it’s actually better for you not to be married/engaged. Even if he’s just dating her it’s better.

Your story is wonderful - I hope that I reach 30 years someday. But for a majority of people it would be a disaster as the change that most people go through from their early to late 20’s is drastic and early 20’s marriages (20-25 Years of age) end in divorce 60% of the time.

Reactions: Kitchenlabs
Good luck to him if that is the avenue he feels he wants to take. Personally, I might tap the brakes a bit. He is 20. About to be a multi-millionaire. He may look back and wish he had enjoyed that status for a little while.

Words of WISDOM! If they get married he should get the "Massey Pre-nup". I hear it's never been broken.

I wonder if she knew about it beforehand, or if he said “let’s go to the stadium and just hang out in the 50 yard line. It’ll be fun!!

I wonder if they are already doing it.

Im not even talking about a “chick filled” single life. Didn’t even allude to it. I’m talking about him having some of his own time, not tethered to anyone while he’s 21, 22, 23, when he’s going to have more opportunity to do amazing things than 99.9% of the world. He’s 20, so he has no perception of the world he’s about to step into, and also has no idea of how she will impede that world (not intentionally, but simply because she is his fiancé). He has his whole life to be married to her - but not to be a young, single, millionaire who can selfishly think about himself while he’s still of the age where it’s actually better for you not to be married/engaged. Even if he’s just dating her it’s better.

Your story is wonderful - I hope that I reach 30 years someday. But for a majority of people it would be a disaster as the change that most people go through from their early to late 20’s is drastic and early 20’s marriages (20-25 Years of age) end in divorce 60% of the time.

Marriages ultimately fail b/c people are selfish. Whatever the reason may be...infidelity, irreconcilable differences, abuse, fallen out of love, money troubles, etc...it's all selfishness. 100% of the time. Sometimes it's because one partner is selfish, sometimes it's both. Marriages ultimately fail b/c one or both partners care more about themselves than they do the other person.

It all comes back to selfishness. It's the one thing everyone struggles with after marriage. Anyone who is married has had to battle it. We all want to do our things our way and we want what we want. Marriage forces you to do just the opposite. Now you're setting aside your desires for the sake of another persons...every day. It's why love necessitates sacrifice, whether it be the last piece of cake, or getting up with the crying baby, or setting aside career goals. Any married couple with a baby has experienced this when that baby starts crying at 3 am...who's gonna be the one to get up? If there is no sacrifice, it's not love. Period.

The problem: People are naturally selfish. Everyone. Some more so than others. It's why the Bible says the second greatest command is to love your neighbor as yourself. Marriage is about overcoming that selfishness. If you can't, your marriage is likely doomed, no matter what your age is at the time you marry. At the least, your quality of marriage will be lousy. I know people who are married to someone who has not overcome their selfishness. They may be gutting it out, but they aren't happy.

Your post, counterintuitively, says the way to marital bliss for Trevor is to exhibit selfishness. But Trevor, in his decision to get engaged at this stage, is demonstrating that one factor that is key to a successful marriage: unselfishness. You say he should put off marriage until he's experienced all that the world has to offer a millionaire, star professional athlete in his early 20s. He's saying to his fiancee "I don't care what the world has to offer me as a millionaire, star professional athlete. I'd rather have you."

So, the only real factor that matters is whether or not Trevor and his fiancee can overcome their natural selfishness. I don't know either of them, but this decision by Trevor was an unselfish one, so that's a good sign.

Marriages ultimately fail b/c people are selfish. Whatever the reason may be...infidelity, irreconcilable differences, abuse, fallen out of love, money troubles, etc...it's all selfishness. 100% of the time. Sometimes it's because one partner is selfish, sometimes it's both. Marriages ultimately fail b/c one or both partners care more about themselves than they do the other person.

It all comes back to selfishness. It's the one thing everyone struggles with after marriage. Anyone who is married has had to battle it. We all want to do our things our way and we want what we want. Marriage forces you to do just the opposite. Now you're setting aside your desires for the sake of another persons...every day. It's why love necessitates sacrifice, whether it be the last piece of cake, or getting up with the crying baby, or setting aside career goals. Any married couple with a baby has experienced this when that baby starts crying at 3 am...who's gonna be the one to get up? If there is no sacrifice, it's not love. Period.

The problem: People are naturally selfish. Everyone. Some more so than others. It's why the Bible says the second greatest command is to love your neighbor as yourself. Marriage is about overcoming that selfishness. If you can't, your marriage is likely doomed, no matter what your age is at the time you marry. At the least, your quality of marriage will be lousy. I know people who are married to someone who has not overcome their selfishness. They may be gutting it out, but they aren't happy.

Your post, counterintuitively, says the way to marital bliss for Trevor is to exhibit selfishness. But Trevor, in his decision to get engaged at this stage, is demonstrating that one factor that is key to a successful marriage: unselfishness. You say he should put off marriage until he's experienced all that the world has to offer a millionaire, star professional athlete in his early 20s. He's saying to his fiancee "I don't care what the world has to offer me as a millionaire, star professional athlete. I'd rather have you."

So, the only real factor that matters is whether or not Trevor and his fiancee can overcome their natural selfishness. I don't know either of them, but this decision by Trevor was an unselfish one, so that's a good sign.
Very well said. It wasn’t all that long ago that it wasn’t uncommon to get engaged in your early 20’s.

Agree to disagree. He’s 20. His brain isn’t even fully formed (not until 25), which is why so many early 20’s marriages fail - because they literally change as people. Yes, he’s making a grand, unselfish gesture, but it’s also an uninformed gesture.

Best of luck to them. I don’t wish any marriage harm.

I wouldn’t draft the kid though - being bad at decision making is the kiss of death for a QB.

Very well said. It wasn’t all that long ago that it wasn’t uncommon to get engaged in your early 20’s.

Correct. And when the divorce rate for those that got married in their early 20’s far outpaced marriages that began later, people slowed their roll a bit.

Agree to disagree. He’s 20. His brain isn’t even fully formed (not until 25), which is why so many early 20’s marriages fail - because they literally change as people. Yes, he’s making a grand, unselfish gesture, but it’s also an uninformed gesture.

I wouldn’t draft the kid though - being bad at decision making is the kiss of death for a QB.
This whole post is just laughable.

Uninformed? Why? Because he didn't ask you? I suspect he talked to a lot of people who know him a lot better than you do. TL has alluded to a time during his Freshman year when he broke up with her. According to him, he lost his way and was unfocused during that time. I think that was his "experiencing life as a single man", and he didn't like it. Funny thing, that mirrors exactly some friends of ours who have been together since high school. He went off to school, broke up with her, and came running back before the end of his first semester. Dabo's story is similar. He and his wife were together since middle school, I think. Some of us find our mate early.

You have no idea how she may enhance his lifestyle. Perhaps he should wait. Perhaps he's been waiting for this his whole life. Why are you so judgmental about how he chooses to live his life. Other than choosing to attend Clemson, it seems like he's made great decisions thus far. I'm sure he knows himself better than you know him.

You have no idea how she may enhance his lifestyle. Perhaps he should wait. Perhaps he's been waiting for this his whole life. Why are you so judgmental about how he chooses to live his life. Other than choosing to attend Clemson, it seems like he's made great decisions thus far. I'm sure he knows himself better than you know him.

My opinion has nothing to do with these two specifically. They are children with unformed brains that have never lived on their own, probably never paid a bill on their own, never had the freedom that comes with being done with schooling (and how they’ll actually act in that scenario), never known what it means to even be an adult on any level - yet they know they’re ready to be married and all that entails. It’s a couple of silly kids in love. It’s a beautiful thing. I wish them well, but dude is making the most uninformed decision of his life.

Has the Rona rotted some of your brains? What in the heck has happened to you people? I was taught to HATE all things TaterTech and to mock them every waking moment. Yet all of you wussie "Carolina Fans" are all up their barbie doll lookalike, hippy, horsefaced quarterback's hind quarters. "I wish him the best." "I have no problem with him." Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. What a bunch of wimps. Have you all turned soft? No. I despise Tater Tech, including that little girl they have rubbing the centers' arse. I hope that half of the football team comes to his wedding, where they are taken as hostages by ISIS warriors, marched back to Afghanistan and are sold into slavery as servants to some goat humpin' herdsman, where they will feel a connection with their hilly homeland. I hope SC fans can buy the rest of them as personal servants on the cheap. I would love to have a few necks dressed in their urange tater clothes, mowing my lawn and changing out my light bulbs! I hope horseface's wife runs off and leaves him for a chick with a mustache within 6 months of their wedding and that he is institutionalized shortly thereafter, never to show his ugly, girly mug on a football field again.

Last edited:
Has the Rona rotted some of your brains? What in the heck has happened to you people? I was taught to HATE all things TaterTech and to mock them every waking moment. Yet all of you wussie "Carolina Fans" are all up their barbie doll lookalike, hippy gay quarterback's hind quarters. "I wish him the best." "I have no problem with him." Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. What a bunch of wimps. Have you all turned gay? No. I despise Tater Tech, including that little girl they have rubbing the centers' arse. I hope that half of the football team comes to his wedding, where they are taken as hostages by ISIS warriors, marched back to Afghanistan and are sold into slavery as servants to some goat humpin' herdsman, where they will feel a connection with their hilly homeland. I hope SC fans can buy the rest of them as personal servants on the cheap. I would love to have a few necks dressed in their urange tater clothes, mowing my lawn and changing out my light bulbs! I hope horseface's wife runs off and leaves him for a chick with a mustache within 6 months of their wedding and that he is institutionalized shortly thereafter, never to show his ugly, girly mug on a football field again.
I’ll be surprised if this post doesn’t get you kicked.

Reactions: paladin181
All considering he seems to be a stand up guy, hope he has a long and fruitful marriage. BTW I hate all things orange!

Has the Rona rotted some of your brains? What in the heck has happened to you people? I was taught to HATE all things TaterTech and to mock them every waking moment. Yet all of you wussie "Carolina Fans" are all up their barbie doll lookalike, hippy, horsefaced quarterback's hind quarters. "I wish him the best." "I have no problem with him." Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. What a bunch of wimps. Have you all turned soft? No. I despise Tater Tech, including that little girl they have rubbing the centers' arse. I hope that half of the football team comes to his wedding, where they are taken as hostages by ISIS warriors, marched back to Afghanistan and are sold into slavery as servants to some goat humpin' herdsman, where they will feel a connection with their hilly homeland. I hope SC fans can buy the rest of them as personal servants on the cheap. I would love to have a few necks dressed in their urange tater clothes, mowing my lawn and changing out my light bulbs! I hope horseface's wife runs off and leaves him for a chick with a mustache within 6 months of their wedding and that he is institutionalized shortly thereafter, never to show his ugly, girly mug on a football field again.
You shouldn’t hold back. Tell us how you really feel

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT