ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Tanner can we get wi-fi at Willy B this year ?

I am in section 103 and the Club seats behind ours gets wifi. Just us peons cant get it. But I agree, it would be the best thing for Carolina football off the field.

Reactions: german cock
The new Braves stadium is supposed to be the gold standard for stadium wi-fi going forward. We shall see. As it is now half the stadium stares at their phones anyway.

UGA installed it at a cost > $2 million w/ 305 antennas here, there and yonder estimating they can accommodate somewhere around 30,000 users (1/3rd of their seats) at any one time ... that's a LOT of 'bandwidth' ... and in stadiums you've already got a LOT going on 'tween the teams and security personnel ... getting something that WORKS will be expensive.
Wi-Fi's not like 'plug and play' - it's quite technical and a serious challenge given how much 'ongoing' tweaking and routine maintenance is required, especially with such a 'short season' and so few games, the expense (initial and recurring) is huge.
It would probably require a one-season $1 per seat charge plus annual per-ticket 'surcharge' of $ .50 cents/seat to install/maintain in any worthwhile and usable format.

UGA installed it at a cost > $2 million w/ 305 antennas here, there and yonder estimating they can accommodate somewhere around 30,000 users (1/3rd of their seats) at any one time ... that's a LOT of 'bandwidth' ... and in stadiums you've already got a LOT going on 'tween the teams and security personnel ... getting something that WORKS will be expensive.
Wi-Fi's not like 'plug and play' - it's quite technical and a serious challenge given how much 'ongoing' tweaking and routine maintenance is required, especially with such a 'short season' and so few games, the expense (initial and recurring) is huge.
It would probably require a one-season $1 per seat charge plus annual per-ticket 'surcharge' of $ .50 cents/seat to install/maintain in any worthwhile and usable format.
Thanks

So our famous seat fee can't pay for that ? geez

Reactions: chick75
Do we really need to get into the minutiae of for profit professional teams struggling to make it work versus a college football program, whose revenue is largely spent supporting the rest of the athletic department, of a public state school? Economies of scale, both technical and fiscal, say this is a long term project, at best.

That Q. sounds like the guy who buys a house wanting to'upgrade' to a more modern metal roof and can't understand why his 'current' mortgage won't absorb his NEW cost.

Well, it's 'cause it's a NEW COST! That 'famous' seat-fee is already paying for a LOT of 'stuff' ... just 'cause you upgraded that Denali to install the rear-seat entertainment center GMC doesn't throw in the Duramax 6.6L Diesel package, too. Way of the world.

The technology is called DAS. Your can look it up. Many stadiums across the country are adopting it.

http://m.electronicdesign.com/communications/understanding-distributed-antenna-systems-dass

Depends on how you define 'many' ... not too 'many' college football stadiums are. It's one thing installing wi-fi within a relatively 'open area' 8-12,000 seat minor league baseball park, it's another thing all together installing it in an 80,000 seat multi-level college football stadium.

SENDING the signal ain't all that hard, it's the 'interface' required to make the signal interactive that's often cost-prohibitive. Engineers can do 'bout anything if you give 'em the budget to do - but think of wi-fi as building a house. You can install a LAN for a 250-room hotel with pretty-much off the shelf components, that AIN'T gonna' happen at Williams-Brice Stadium.

The attenuators and amplifiers required to 'balance' and POWER the signal for a STADIUM the size of WB would take up HUGE space, require LOTS of 'cooling' and demand constant (physical) monitoring. NOW you gotta' 'pay' the provider providing YOU the 'signal' - bandwidth required for tens of thousands of people at one time. I don't care if you right next door to the Research Triangle Park your 'supplier' will need to UPGRADE THEIR fiber-optics to supply your new-user needs, it's not a simple matter of hanging antennas off the rafters at Willie-B.

And like a house lots of electrical components are 'standard' - like 2X4's or 2X12's, standard windows and doors, standard types of shingles, standard OSB or plywood thicknesses, standard plumbing vent pipe diameters depending on the venting requirements ... kinda' much somewhat like nothing alike this is confusing dang we need drawings for ALL those different skills, framing, wiring, plumbing, HVAC, masonry, drainage, security, landscaping, insulation, waterproofing, slopes, ridges, crickets, corbels, ventilation - and on and on.

You're talking about somebody DESIGNING then installing a wi-fi system with as much 'capacity' as almost the entire downtown Columbia financial/shopping/entertainment area without the 'benefit' of installed fiber optic capacity for 'use' for just a few hours 6-10 times a year.

I say if we've 'got money' "HOT WIRE" the entire 'vista' instead, and improve the 'campus' signal, in general - but wi-fi at Willie-B (until they change the technology) will never make sense to me. This 20-year old 'stuff' you're talking about does NOT OFFER or make 'package' systems for installation in large, complex, multi-user stadiums.

You have to DESIGN IT, then BUILD the 'required' components (from components) then power it - then MAINTAIN it. HUGE waste of $$$ IMHO for a 'university' intent on 'entertaining' their ticket-holders.

The 'show' - at least in college, is supposed to be 'on the field'. What MIGHT be 'doable' at a 'reasonable' cost would be to create an open 'wi-fi' pavilion-area patrons would have to 'visit' (and STAND IN) - severely limiting the number of 'users' at any one time, thus making it work GREAT for those using it, instead of 'barely' working for any and everybody at X's time the cost to design/manufacturer/install something stadium-wide.

I guess I am in the minority that I can do without Wi-Fi for 3 hours on 7 fall Saturdays per year.
You are in the minority. Check out any crowd shot at a sports stadium and practically every other fan is staring at their phone.

You are in the minority. Check out any crowd shot at a sports stadium and practically every other fan is staring at their phone.
I use my phone to take a picture or call to find where someone is. I dont feel the need to Facebook or snapchat during a game. If they wanna do that then they an use their own data.

Reactions: Cybercock
I just want to find scores out . It's not that hard . The scoreboard at Willy B is at least 15 minutes behined . :eek::eek:
It wasn't that long ago that the only scores we would get would be from the PA guy at the end of the quarters and after the band at halftime.

Reactions: Cybercock
I just want to find scores out . It's not that hard . The scoreboard at Willy B is at least 15 minutes behined . :eek::eek:
This. That's why we need wifi because they refuse to upgrade the ribbon boards and constantly update scores!

Some of us do both.

I am able to text my kids and get scores updated without much issue on verizon. I cannot imagine a decent wi-fi system for 2 million like UGA supposedly put in. At home,I have pretty fast wi-fi with a professionally installed upgraded system including 6 antennas and amplifiers and my kids can still slow it up a bit streaming netflix and playing x-box...of course i stream music often and have massive downloads constantly. Try 30-40,000 streaming watch espn or dish apps.

I would rather finish up a few more projects to get our facilities into the top 20 in the country first. if we have 5-10mil to put into a functioning system after improving videotronics in the stadium i would not be against it. Are there any plans to add more video to the corners opposite our main?

Reactions: UpstateGamecock2
I am able to text my kids and get scores updated without much issue on verizon. I cannot imagine a decent wi-fi system for 2 million like UGA supposedly put in. At home,I have pretty fast wi-fi with a professionally installed upgraded system including 6 antennas and amplifiers and my kids can still slow it up a bit streaming netflix and playing x-box...of course i stream music often and have massive downloads constantly. Try 30-40,000 streaming watch espn or dish apps.

I would rather finish up a few more projects to get our facilities into the top 20 in the country first. if we have 5-10mil to put into a functioning system after improving videotronics in the stadium i would not be against it. Are there any plans to add more video to the corners opposite our main?

Of course, you can have some of your devices installed for wired usage, which may avert the Netflix/x-box slowdown. I'm getting ready to go under the house righ now to run more cable.

I would imagine that the local cellular providers already make adjustments to accomodate Bluff Road usage on select fall Saturdays.

Actually, this is the exact type thing Tanner should be doing. Need to make the game day experience better. He's competing with flat screens at home now. I don't really see WBS getting bigger. I see the money going into amenities to make the experience better.

Actually, this is the exact type thing Tanner should be doing. Need to make the game day experience better. He's competing with flat screens at home now. I don't really see WBS getting bigger. I see the money going into amenities to make the experience better.

I think the more video the better....are you in agreement or do you think wifi is more important?

fwiw, i want whatever gets and keeps people's asses in the seats. I must say that my tailgate experience is so good now, i arrive late to game itself....so i am at fault.

A few years ago there were plans for video screens on top of the turnarounds, opposite of the student section. Haven't seen anything recently, though.

Of course, you can have some of your devices installed for wired usage, which may avert the Netflix/x-box slowdown. I'm getting ready to go under the house righ now to run more cable.

I would imagine that the local cellular providers already make adjustments to accomodate Bluff Road usage on select fall Saturdays.
AT&T still sucks. Takes forever to get connected & constantly drops the signal.

Wifi?? Lol We can't even install a decent audio system for the PA guy. Most stadiums have a balanced audio system with many speakers located throughout the facility. We still have the one big loud blaring speaker likes it's still 1980.

Watch the damned game. It's happening right in front of your face. PUT YOU PHONE DOWN. Anything significant that happens will be available almost immediately online. If you are desperate to see it. use your data hookup.

This is insane.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT