ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Change

I think we have to take a wait and see approach as the year goes on. If things are looking real shitty at the end of October I think the BOT needs to make moves and relieve Ray Tanner and get a new AD in place by the end of the football season and let that person determine how to proceed. I have zero faith in Ray Tanner not to **** up a 3rd football coaching search.
While I agree with you completely, I'm betting Ray retires in 2026 when his last extension ends and he's 68. Until then, we're stuck with him.

Reactions: Lurker123
Big Frank McGuire
I remember sitting down at a table at Mathias Sandwich Shop in Irmo in the mid to late '80s (I was probably 10 or 11) with my family and there was one other person in there quietly reading the newspaper. My dad couldn't stop saying: "That's Frank McGuire. That's Frank McGuire." My dad went over and spoke to him and they had a very friendly conversation for a few minutes I recall. That made my dad's day.

I remember sitting down at a table at Mathias Sandwich Shop in Irmo in the mid to late '80s (I was probably 10 or 11) with my family and there was one other person in there quietly reading the newspaper. My dad couldn't stop saying: "That's Frank McGuire. That's Frank McGuire." My dad went over and spoke to him and they had a very friendly conversation for a few minutes I recall. That made my dad's day.
Great story. Thanks. Wish you had experienced the Roche days. Nothing like them since.

Reactions: cockofdawn
If we fire Beamer next year, some retired Head Coaches may want to come out of retirement. Laugh at that but, didn't Tanner hire Paul Mainieri who won a baseball national championship at LSU 15 years ago? There are "Mack Browns" out there. It's not like we have never done that before in football. :D
Urban-Meyer.png

Unless he Muschamps, he will be here next year. Whether people want to believe it or not, replacing him with someone that is perceived to be much better will be VERY difficult. And I say perceived, because everyone thought Napier was going to be a star and looked at him now. Same for Tom Herman, who turned us down too. Our options are VERY limited. That's just reality.
Our options are not very limited. Tanners knowledge of football coaches is very limited. Tanner paid Muschamp $16,000,000 to make his exit. Where else in the world can you make a $16,000,000 mistake and keep your job?

Reactions: Robhawk29
Our options are not very limited. Tanners knowledge of football coaches is very limited. Tanner paid Muschamp $16,000,000 to make his exit. Where else in the world can you make a $16,000,000 mistake and keep your job?

So you believe our issues are more coaching related than talent when you watched the team on Saturday?

I think Beamer has been a far better gameday coach than Muschamp ever was.

Why would Urban Meyer come to Carolina if we've proven for the past two seasons that we don't have the funding to buy or retain high quality talent?

This seems to be #1 criteria now for major D1 coaches in terms of taking a position.

Reactions: gamecock stock
So you believe our issues are more coaching related than talent when you watched the team on Saturday?

Why would Urban Meyer come to Carolina if we've proven for the past two seasons that we don't have the funding to buy or retain high quality talent?

This seems to be #1 criteria now for major D1 coaches in terms of taking a position.
I agree with most of that. I would not say "far better" than Muschamp. "Better", yes

Reactions: Ward Jr
I doubt Carolina can bring any big name coach unless there is a solid commitment, on the part of the Administration/ Collective to bring in top talent, and so far it is fairly obvious that is not a top priority.

I doubt Carolina can bring any big name coach unless there is a solid commitment, on the part of the Administration/ Collective to bring in top talent, and so far it is fairly obvious that is not a top priority.

What are you guys talking about?

We bought him Rattler. We bought him Harbor. We bought him Stewart. He's had plenty of money to spend. He's just spent it poorly.

Do we need a big name though? Just someone who's been a coach or coordinator is a step up. Stipulate that he's not a failed coach and it's already a step up from the last two.

Crap, think about it. That is how low the bar is. Someone with actual experience who isn't a proven failure.

Reactions: uscwatson21
Do we need a big name though? Just someone who's been a coach or coordinator is a step up. Stipulate that he's not a failed coach and it's already a step up from the last two.

Crap, think about it. That is how low the bar is. Someone with actual experience who isn't a proven failure.

Precisely. It's incredibly frustrating we had an obvious coach in our backyard last time and we didn't make the right decision.

Who's the failed coach? The guy 1 shy of Spurrier losing his top players each season because of money?

Lurker - You claim to be a lifelong fan.

Certainly you know most of our better quality teams (including those under Spurrier) were driven by a few talented skill players.

We've almost never been top-to-bottom solid.

We can't lose our best talent each season.

What are you guys talking about?

We bought him Rattler. We bought him Harbor. We bought him Stewart. He's had plenty of money to spend. He's just spent it poorly.

"WE"? You haven't bought him shit, openly stating you refuse to give. Crying and whining on the internet 24/7/365 doesn't pay players.

I thought you weren't going to be here this season? What happened to that?

Beamer's 4th year of rebuilding was very lucky to beat a Sun Belt team. A team that Coastal Carolina beat last year. We had more talent on the field than Old Dominion did. So who do you blame for our pitiful performance?

That is not saying much. Nearly every head coach in the SEC gameday coaching was better than Muschamp. Muschamp showed us how inept Tanner is at evaluating football coaches.

Why not give him a call and see if he wants one more run as a head coach? You will never know unless you offer him the chance.

Are you saying we are stuck near the bottom of the SEC and we might as well accept it? I don't agree with that.

Reactions: uscwatson21
Odds that Beamer gets canned this year?

What does it take? 4 wins? 3 wins?

Does Tanner have the balls to fire him?
Tanner needs to go first ,then let’s start all over and maybe by the time things sort out ,they will have some guard rails around NIL . We’re a sunk ship right now . The Georgia coaches in Athens already have Beamer penciled in by Muschamp as next years new analyst( ie graveyard for failed head coaches ) . It’s embarrassing !

Reactions: DarkHorse2001
Beamer's 4th year of rebuilding was very lucky to beat a Sun Belt team. A team that Coastal Carolina beat last year. We had more talent on the field than Old Dominion did. So who do you blame for our pitiful performance?

That is not saying much. Nearly every head coach in the SEC gameday coaching was better than Muschamp. Muschamp showed us how inept Tanner is at evaluating football coaches.

Why not give him a call and see if he wants one more run as a head coach? You will never know unless you offer him the chance.

Are you saying we are stuck near the bottom of the SEC and we might as well accept it? I don't agree with that.
We are not near the bottom of the SEC, We are the bottom. I don't see this team winning a single SEC game this year. Maybe I will be wrong but I just don't see it. This team has no talent on offense...

We are not near the bottom of the SEC, We are the bottom. I don't see this team winning a single SEC game this year. Maybe I will be wrong but I just don't see it. This team has no talent on offense...

We have played terribly in openers before.

I hold out hope we beat at least Vandy.

I find it hard to believe we are as bad as we looked. Talent-wise we are comparable to Kentucky, though not coaching-wise. And I think there will be a 2022 Tennessee team on our schedule who will overlook us. I'm not sure right now who that might be.

I find it hard to believe we are as bad as we looked. Talent-wise we are comparable to Kentucky, though not coaching-wise. And I think there will be a 2022 Tennessee team on our schedule who will overlook us. I'm not sure right now who that might be.
I would think Every team, Even Akron, Overlooks the Gamecocks preparing for their next game!! LOL... Having said that IMO Sc will win 2 or 3 SEC games and if they hold serve outside the conference, they may squeak out 6 wins.... I am guessing a 5 win team (still) but six would be a pretty darn good season..

+ There's no "rebuilding" in the NIL/Portal Era when you're a team in our position. Each season now brings new cast of characters in terms of skilled positions. If Sellers or any of the WRs we've acquired have a good year, they'll be a "For Sale" sign hung around their neck at the end of the season unless we pony. For evidence, look at the talent we've lost the last two years. Outside of Rattler and XL, these were our best players on the field.

+ Beamer remains one win shy of Spurrier and Muschamp for the best start in history. He's doing this while watching his best players walk and we're not buying quality high school talent. He has to be doing something right.

+ Agree on Meyer. Odds on next to nothing but spin the wheel if the AD is ready to put $10mil a year on the table for a coach and also fill the coffers for talent. (another $20-30mil). This would be a massive reversal from their stance to date though.

+ Agree on Meyer. Odds on next to nothing but spin the wheel if the AD is ready to put $10mil a year on the table for a coach and also fill the coffers for talent. (another $20-30mil). This would be a massive reversal from their stance to date though.
The university will never admit it, but their actions indicate they are not dedicated to having a winning football program. Fans are becoming more aware of this too. Have you noticed the stadium is not packed to full capacity for many games now? The game might be listed as a sellout but the stadium is no longer packed. I attended nearly every home game during the Holtz and Spurrier years. Many of those years you had to be a Half Scholar club donor to receive season tickets to all home games.

USC top brass loves the money football brings in, but they are not willing to reinvest enough money to turn football into a winning program. A large majority of the huge SEC paycheck is generated by football, but it is being spent on many other things. What is our revenue share now? I think it is getting close to $75,000,000 per year. I know there have been some rules changed concerning NIL. Can the university use TV revenue money for the NIL fund? Rules or no rules the top SEC programs all ways will find a way to get what they need for a successful football program. The remainder of the conference teams are happy to win six games a season. I no longer can get excited about a 6-6 season.

The university will never admit it, but their actions indicate they are not dedicated to having a winning football program. Fans are becoming more aware of this too. Have you noticed the stadium is not packed to full capacity for many games now? The game might be listed as a sellout but the stadium is no longer packed. I attended nearly every home game during the Holtz and Spurrier years. Many of those years you had to be a Half Scholar club donor to receive season tickets to all home games.

USC top brass loves the money football brings in, but they are not willing to reinvest enough money to turn football into a winning program. A large majority of the huge SEC paycheck is generated by football, but it is being spent on many other things. What is our revenue share now? I think it is getting close to $75,000,000 per year. I know there have been some rules changed concerning NIL. Can the university use TV revenue money for the NIL fund? Rules or no rules the top SEC programs all ways will find a way to get what they need for a successful football program. The remainder of the conference teams are happy to win six games a season. I no longer can get excited about a 6-6 season.
That is my sentiment, too. I have been questioning for awhile whether USC is serious about having a winning football program. I, too, believe fans are becoming more aware of this.

Tanner is the AD

Totally agree. Ray and the coaches get alot of crap on this site. However, the reality is that they are handcuffed to a major extent and there's clearly a gag order on not being able to discuss these matters.

Teams like Missouri and Ole Miss allowed their coaches to take a pro-active position publicly and it's paid off. Even states like TN. VA and MO have bent over backwards trying to improve their school situations (via laws) in this regard.

Which begs the question -- Why hasn't a school like Clemson who is paying their coach $10mil+ a year jumped into the NIL knee deep yet? Why the resistance from both Clemson and USC? It could be a coincidence but it comes across a little funky given the fact that both schools have the funding to make it happen.

Regarding Muschamp, can you believe he took his Carolina football team and beat Georgia in Athens in 2019? And he beat Jim Harbaugh's Michigan team a little earlier than that. Moral of the story: don't let a couple of wins color your emotional thinking about your coaches.

Regarding Muschamp, can you believe he took his Carolina football team and beat Georgia in Athens in 2019? And he beat Jim Harbaugh's Michigan team a little earlier than that. Moral of the story: don't let a couple of wins color your emotional thinking about your coaches.

The nothing-to-lose game where Muschamp decided to put aside his micromanaging and let it all hang out in an effort to beat his alma mater.

Muschamp brought in some really good players over the years. He was just not a head coach in any sense of the word. Always confused. Always too conservative.

Reactions: gamecock stock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT