ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching search. Please correct me where im wrong.

uscusc1987

May 30, 2008
You can talk about Tanner having a head start. So what? The coaches the fans and I guess Tanner wanted wouldn't accept a job in October. Seems Tanner offered Herman correct? You all wanted that, atleast the majority. He decided to stay at Houston. Is that Tanners fault? He offered Smart and had him, but smart waited to make sure Georgia didn't fire Richt and wouldn't accept the job until after finding out. Well, Richt got fired. Is that Tanners fault?. So now supposedly Muschamp is an embaraasment and nobody else wanted him. Ok, well who else wanted Lincoln Riley, Rich Rod, Sonny Dykes, etc.NOBODY. sorry, but Muschamp is a bigger name than any of these guys including smart and Herman. How is 30-21 at Florida a losing record? How is 11-1 a bad season. Yes, he had a couple bad seasons, so did holtz and Spurrier. The guy is a top notch recruiter. He has already talked about he knows and plans on running a spread offense, fast paced, and hire a coordinator that does this. He realizes it was a problem at Florida. People really need to give him a chance. Those complaining about his attitude or intensity, have you met Frank Martin?

I asked what school wanted to hire Lincoln Riley? NOBODY but USC. Not trying to sell you on anything. Just stating the facts. If you only support USC when they hire who you want then your Not much of a fan. Plenty people , the majority will support him. The detractors are always the loudest in sports, politics, and everything else.

I asked what school wanted to hire Lincoln Riley? NOBODY but USC. Not trying to sell you on anything. Just stating the facts. If you only support USC when they hire who you want then your Not much of a fan. Plenty people , the majority will support him. The detractors are always the loudest in sports, politics, and everything else.
I'd be willing to bet ECU is about to make a strong push for him, I bet Oklahoma wants to keep him. We interviewed him. How many people want Will besides us? Auburn is ready to be done with him.....again, and as far as I know his date book ain't filled up with interviews. As for the rest of your comment, it's dumb. I sat my ass through the Sparky and Brad debacles. I'm not doing that anymore. Winning is ALL that matters to me.

You can talk about Tanner having a head start. So what? The coaches the fans and I guess Tanner wanted wouldn't accept a job in October. Seems Tanner offered Herman correct? You all wanted that, atleast the majority. He decided to stay at Houston. Is that Tanners fault? He offered Smart and had him, but smart waited to make sure Georgia didn't fire Richt and wouldn't accept the job until after finding out. Well, Richt got fired. Is that Tanners fault?. So now supposedly Muschamp is an embaraasment and nobody else wanted him. Ok, well who else wanted Lincoln Riley, Rich Rod, Sonny Dykes, etc.NOBODY. sorry, but Muschamp is a bigger name than any of these guys including smart and Herman. How is 30-21 at Florida a losing record? How is 11-1 a bad season. Yes, he had a couple bad seasons, so did holtz and Spurrier. The guy is a top notch recruiter. He has already talked about he knows and plans on running a spread offense, fast paced, and hire a coordinator that does this. He realizes it was a problem at Florida. People reallneed to give him a chance. Those complaining about his attitude or intensity, have you met Frank Martin?
You are correct. But what you are missing is while Tanner was twiddling his thumbs waiting for those two, other positions began opening up and other top candidates were being wrapped up. Tanner should have gone to his 1st choice and demanded a decision and if he refused to give one, go to the next. The "sh## or get off the pot" call should have been made, but, no, Tanner just waited until all the top candidates were hired. Now we're in panic mode. Tanner handled it like a mom waiting on her son to make a decision, rather than an employer recruiting top candidates for a leading position in a company. Frankly, he blew it. Now, he has to hope Plan F will somehow succeed.

Reactions: gamecockblack
Good for you. So if will wins here you will STFU and support the program. That's good to hear. I hope you stopped going this year because spurrier and Elliott sucked. We will do much better than 3-9 next year.

Rogue he didnt wait, he offered Smart after Herman. What coach to you believe we lost to another school? Richt? He was going to Miami. Fuentes, he was going to Virginia tech. We contacted both. Alot of these coaches had ties elsewhere. Just a fact. Wait and see I bet Muschamp does better at USC than smart at Georgia..

Last edited:
Reactions: BigTomE
Rogue he didnt wait, he offered Smart after Herman. What coach to you believe we lost to another school? Richt? He was going to Miami. Fuentes, he was going to Virginia tech. We contacted both. Alot of these coaches had ties elsewhere. Just a fact. Wait and see I bet Muschamp does better at USC than smart at Georgia..
We didn't offer Fuente. He was still waiting on Herman to make a decision. He threw a hail mary offer at Smart after the UGA position opened...too little, too late. He played it like the neophyte he is.

Bullshit, smart had the offer before Richt was fired.
Officially, he did not. And if he actually unofficially had it, Tanner should have demanded a decision. He waited...or Smart put him off...until after the UGA decision. We didn't stand a chance once the UGA position opened. Either way, Tanner was played.

He had a offer before richtvwas fired. Kirby wouldnt give him an answer until after,the Richt decision was made. He could have demanded a decision then and smart would have said no.

Reactions: CockPete
He had a offer before richtvwas fired. Kirby wouldnt give him an answer until after,the Richt decision was made. He could have demanded a decision then and smart would have said no.
Well, if he had said no, then we could have moved on. It was going to happen one way or the other. Like I said, Tanner doesn't have enough experience at this and was played. Waited on Herman and Smart waaay to long and lost out on some very good coaches and now we are scrambling and scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

You can talk about Tanner having a head start. So what? The coaches the fans and I guess Tanner wanted wouldn't accept a job in October. Seems Tanner offered Herman correct? You all wanted that, atleast the majority. He decided to stay at Houston. Is that Tanners fault? He offered Smart and had him, but smart waited to make sure Georgia didn't fire Richt and wouldn't accept the job until after finding out. Well, Richt got fired. Is that Tanners fault?. So now supposedly Muschamp is an embaraasment and nobody else wanted him. Ok, well who else wanted Lincoln Riley, Rich Rod, Sonny Dykes, etc.NOBODY. sorry, but Muschamp is a bigger name than any of these guys including smart and Herman. How is 30-21 at Florida a losing record? How is 11-1 a bad season. Yes, he had a couple bad seasons, so did holtz and Spurrier. The guy is a top notch recruiter. He has already talked about he knows and plans on running a spread offense, fast paced, and hire a coordinator that does this. He realizes it was a problem at Florida. People really need to give him a chance. Those complaining about his attitude or intensity, have you met Frank Martin?
Very good post my man. Couldn't have said it better myself

You are correct. But what you are missing is while Tanner was twiddling his thumbs waiting for those two, other positions began opening up and other top candidates were being wrapped up. Tanner should have gone to his 1st choice and demanded a decision and if he refused to give one, go to the next. The "sh## or get off the pot" call should have been made, but, no, Tanner just waited until all the top candidates were hired. Now we're in panic mode. Tanner handled it like a mom waiting on her son to make a decision, rather than an employer recruiting top candidates for a leading position in a company. Frankly, he blew it. Now, he has to hope Plan F will somehow succeed.
You're not wrong & are correct with everything you stated. Tanner has definitely looked like a rookie during this process & its starting to show. I just hope we can still make a decent HC hire with an awesome staff.

I know....Ray Tanner did everything he could possibly do. Funny thing though...almost all the other schools with openings had half the time and they filled their spots already.

If Tanner is a great AD the rest of the schools must be run by Da Vinci type brain power. This is the worst coaching search since Derek Dooley was hired at Tennessee.

I'd be willing to bet ECU is about to make a strong push for him, I bet Oklahoma wants to keep him. We interviewed him. How many people want Will besides us? Auburn is ready to be done with him.....again, and as far as I know his date book ain't filled up with interviews. As for the rest of your comment, it's dumb. I sat my ass through the Sparky and Brad debacles. I'm not doing that anymore. Winning is ALL that matters to me.
Sad life you lead if winning is all that matters to you.

It's why they have a scoreboard at every football stadium I've ever seen.

Will the RT apologists acknowledge it was yet another huge mistake to promote a college baseball coach to the top position of a $100MM Corp?

Um, Lincoln Riley has a ton of supporters with this fan base. You're not going to sell us on Champ so stop trying.
Riley is very similar to Herman. Fans AND recruits would love to have LR here at USC. WM is a proven coach...in the wrong direction. Why in the hey are we listening to SOS hype Musnotcoachhere?

Muschamp's current defense is terrible, and coaching D is supposed to be his forte! I believe recruits will be drawn more to a younger and MORE successful coach. WM has not been successful in his last 4 seasons of coaching. Let's be honest here... If we hire WM it is a big mistake.

Muschamp's current defense is terrible, and coaching D is supposed to be his forte! I believe recruits will be drawn more to a younger and MORE successful coach. WM has not been successful in his last 4 seasons of coaching. Let's be honest here... If we hire WM it is a big mistake.

He's been there a year.

apparently this is how ray tanner feels about our football program.. Is this a preview of his introduction to muschamp as the new hc? "Well Gamecock alumni and fans we hope that winning is not all that matters to you. So today we introduce you the next head coach of our Gamecocks. WILL MUSCHAMP!!!." All the Clemson and Florida fans goes nuts in the background with joy and happiness.

I never was a fan of a baseball coach being put in the position he is in. We don't know, may never know what he has been doing. We are a high risk job looking at our history. His hands may have been tied, they still may be tied. I do believe we will get a coach, with support who can be here for 10 years. I am holding my breath on the hire. It's not all Rays fault. Some is the timing and some is that we are a high risk job.

Serious question.........are you and Robert roomies?

If Muschamp was a stock he'd be down 80% since 2010.

That being said, has any other coach has USC in their name? mUSChamp

The only facts you have in there the fact Richt was fired and Chumps record at Florida. The rest is purely opinion, speculation, and guessing. But you keep right trying to justify, rationalize, and vindicate the prospective hiring of ole Chump.

The one thing I will say is at least Chump seems to want to coach here. Seems he and Elliot are the only 2 really lobbying for the job. If those are the choices...good luck making that call Ray.

The "sh#t or get off the pot" scenario is a dangerous game to play. What if that call had been made and Herman decided to "get off the pot"? Then you guys would complain the RT wasn't patient enough and blew our chances with the top guy by pressuring him. I look back on many times in my life and wish I had done something different. That's the benefit if hind site, it's always 20/20.

I had no idea we had so many program insiders posting on this site. And some of you must be really, really deep in the program to know, and state as fact, exactly when certain coaches were offered. How do you guys have access to this type of information? I'd love to know how you guys know exactly when we offered Smart, or when/if we offered Fuente? Maybe one of you insiders will put together a time line of offers and interviews for the rest of us? And since you're so deep on the inside, be sure to include salary offers and all other pertinent contract info.

Good for you. So if will wins here you will STFU and support the program. That's good to hear. I hope you stopped going this year because spurrier and Elliott sucked. We will do much better than 3-9 next year.
You and the rest of these people will eat whatever shit sandwich they serve you, convinced it makes you a better fan. It doesn't.

Reactions: robertfootball
I had no idea we had so many program insiders posting on this site. And some of you must be really, really deep in the program to know, and state as fact, exactly when certain coaches were offered. How do you guys have access to this type of information? I'd love to know how you guys know exactly when we offered Smart, or when/if we offered Fuente? Maybe one of you insiders will put together a time line of offers and interviews for the rest of us? And since you're so deep on the inside, be sure to include salary offers and all other pertinent contract info.
I'm not an insider, true. I do know those coaches have new jobs. I know we don't have a coach. I suspect we'll hire Will Muschamp, a guy fired a year ago and accomplished nothing this year in Auburn. He's also a guy nobody else offered a head coaching job. What did I get wrong?

Reactions: robertfootball
I'm not an insider, true. I do know those coaches have new jobs. I know we don't have a coach. I suspect we'll hire Will Muschamp, a guy fired a year ago and accomplished nothing this year in Auburn. He's also a guy nobody else offered a head coaching job. What did I get wrong?
Pretty sure he directed that at the OP.

You left out the part where his sideline antics are exactly what this program needs and will take us to the Promise Land. If only we'd thought of hiring a fool 100 years ago, our football history might be different.

And you've surveyed our entire fan base? Or just this board.
It's not this board I'm basing it on, I've read comments on news posts on Facebook and talked to many people. Muschamp is not a popular candidate for the job from what I'm seeing. Riley was a surprise and people are in favor of it because they know his history of success everywhere he's been.

I'd rather win or lose with a fun offense that top skill players would want to be a part of and not watching Musc screaming at 19 year olds.

It's not this board I'm basing it on, I've read comments on news posts on Facebook and talked to many people. Muschamp is not a popular candidate for the job from what I'm seeing. Riley was a surprise and people are in favor of it because they know his history of success everywhere he's been.
Ok, I'll give you that but still doesn't mean a ton of Gamecock fans want him here. I'd bet the majority have never even heard of him. Serious question, though. If Muschamp is hired are you still going to support our team?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT