ADVERTISEMENT

Coastal Carolina ranked 16th is a

I always liked Coastal. They're a good story after having started the football program from scratch less than 20 years ago. What they've accomplished is pretty remarkable, going from nothing to a very good G5 program. That said, they don't deserve a spot among the top 25, not close. In any P5 conference, they would be an also-ran.

In any P5 conference, they would be an also-ran.

um, in any P5 conference, they’d be playing with 3-4 star talent peppered with the occasional 5 star, instead of what they’re currently doing which is winning with 2-3 star talent peppered with the occasional 4 star JUCO transfer. Not to mention the much larger recruiting and facilities budgets. So sorry, but being a top 2-3 G5 program indicates they would in fact be a high mid-tier P5 team and with making up for the talent disparity, they’d probably be a top 10 program.

so are you suggesting that P5 and G5 should be separated and G5 should have their own special polls and bowls? If so, go for it. Or are you suggesting that G5 should be forgotten and ignored altogether? Because under the current system, they are in fact ranked appropriately.

its like drafting a fantasy football team…at some point it’s better to draft a top tier TE than a 3rd tier WR. Same here…at some point, you have to recognize that a top tier G5 program is better than a barely rank-worthy P5. #16 or 17 appears to be that area. Look at Miami…the so-called experts thought they were a top 12 team. They proceeded to get the crap beat out of them by Alabama, barely beat App State, then got their teeth kicked in by Michigan State. So why would you think some borderline Ranked P5 team would go out and beat a top tier G5 team that hasn’t lost a regular season game in 2 seasons?

um, in any P5 conference, they’d be playing with 3-4 star talent peppered with the occasional 5 star, instead of what they’re currently doing which is winning with 2-3 star talent peppered with the occasional 4 star JUCO transfer. Not to mention the much larger recruiting and facilities budgets. So sorry, but being a top 2-3 G5 program indicates they would in fact be a high mid-tier P5 team and with making up for the talent disparity, they’d probably be a top 10 program.

so are you suggesting that P5 and G5 should be separated and G5 should have their own special polls and bowls? If so, go for it. Or are you suggesting that G5 should be forgotten and ignored altogether? Because under the current system, they are in fact ranked appropriately.

its like drafting a fantasy football team…at some point it’s better to draft a top tier TE than a 3rd tier WR. Same here…at some point, you have to recognize that a top tier G5 program is better than a barely rank-worthy P5. #16 or 17 appears to be that area. Look at Miami…the so-called experts thought they were a top 12 team. They proceeded to get the crap beat out of them by Alabama, barely beat App State, then got their teeth kicked in by Michigan State. So why would you think some borderline Ranked P5 team would go out and beat a top tier G5 team that hasn’t lost a regular season game in 2 seasons?

The question is whether the current team is deserving of the ranking. You can’t rank them in the top 25 bc you think if they were in a P5 conference then they’d have better players etc. This current team doesn’t warrant top 25 status. Schedule matters.

The question is whether the current team is deserving of the ranking. You can’t rank them in the top 25 bc you think if they were in a P5 conference then they’d have better players etc. This current team doesn’t warrant top 25 status. Schedule matters.

I’ve listed the reasons repeatedly why the current team is ranked. Are you too obtuse to go back and read? I’ll post one more time, but that’s it…

(1) their team last year finished 11-1
(2) 3 of those wins were against ranked teams and one was against a top 10 team
(3) their current team has 20 starters back from that team. So it’s not like they’re in rebuilding mode or only have only a handful of returners, it’s essentially the same team.
(4) they are currently 3-0

so no matter how you try to twist it, they are ranked where they are for a reason. Playing ONE lackluster game on the road that they were a goalline INT away from winning by 18 (to this point, I wonder if you actually watched the CCU/Buffalo game) certainly doesn’t justify them being unranked. There would literally be no justification for them being unranked at this time.

no, how about me just responding to a dumb post? I think it speaks to how low our program has fallen that our fans have to boohoo the success of an in-state G5 program. Pretty pathetic actually.
How far our program has fallen😂 News Flash: We've always hated Coastal.

How far our program has fallen😂 News Flash: We've always hated Coastal.

News Flash: I‘m 45 years old and have NEVER hated Coastal. There’s ONE team in this state that I hate, and that’s the one I consider our rival. If you’re threatened by a G5 in-state school to the point that hate them or view them as a rival, that says a hell of a lot more about you and your petty insecurities that it does about Coastal.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeBoer31
News Flash: I‘m 45 years old and have NEVER hated Coastal. There’s ONE team in this state that I hate, and that’s the one I consider our rival. If you’re threatened by a G5 in-state school to the point that hate them or view them as a rival, that says a hell of a lot more about you and your petty insecurities that it does about Coastal.
Oh please 🙄🙄

And yet you clicked on a thread about Coastal. Weird how these things happen.
Not weird at all considering their Barstool CCU Twitter was talking shit about Carolina so I thought I'd come in and see what all the fuss was about and found a bunch of CCU bootlickers

Its a great post. They are overrated and anybody that has a modicum of intelligence knows that they are not the 16th best team in the country. They have to include the mid majors in the rankings out of fairness but thats it. I can name 40 teams that would beat their brains out.
and unless they play one of those 40 teams, their place in the top 25 is unlikely to change.

We'll see how good Coastal is this year, but you typically see multiple ranked teams struggle with lesser opponents in any given week. College kids are emotional, success is a never a straight line. There are trap games, emotional let downs from week to week, etc.

I'll let you in on a little secret, the good teams win the close games.

The bad teams LOSE the close games.

We'll see how good Coastal is this year, but you typically see multiple ranked teams struggle with lesser opponents in any given week. College kids are emotional, success is a never a straight line. There are trap games, emotional let downs from week to week, etc.

I'll let you in on a little secret, the good teams win the close games.

The bad teams LOSE the close games.
Like Carolina beat ECU

I’m sure Coastal is most concerned with Louisiana and App St and Carolina is concerned with Kentucky, Troy and Tennessee. The two will not meet. Let the rankings play out.

Hey, Chants! Go here:

This is a University of South Carolina Gamecock discussion board.

giphy.gif

Reactions: kawalski
It great that you knew exactly who I was talking to. Hit chicken squawks my little Teal banty rooster.

right, you were obviously talking about yourself. It’s literally been explained numerous times in this thread how rankings are compiled. This is not new, polls have compiled this same way forever. So the fact you still don’t understand it even after it’s been explained to you indicates that maybe you have a learning disability or are simply a dumbass.

Doofus Doty? Hard to believe a Gamecock fan would call him that.
Yea well, sometimes players have reached their ceiling in high school or their freshman year, Doty appears to be one of those unfortunately. But if college ahletes can make money from NIL, the crtique goes with the territory. Sorry, but I have no guilt about calling players out anymore. They gave that protection up when they could start being paid. Get use to it Buttercup.

right, you were obviously talking about yourself. It’s literally been explained numerous times in this thread how rankings are compiled. This is not new, polls have compiled this same way forever. So the fact you still don’t understand it even after it’s been explained to you indicates that maybe you have a learning disability or are simply a dumbass.
My point is and always has been Coastal is not a top 20 team or top 40 but understand that in fairness they have to rank a few mid major teams. That is clearly available to go back and look at but your comprehension is lacking.

Yea well, sometimes players have reached their ceiling in high school or their freshman year, Doty appears to be one of those unfortunately. But if college ahletes can make money from NIL, the crtique goes with the territory. Sorry, but I have no guilt about calling players out anymore. They gave that protection up when they could start being paid. Get use to it Buttercup.
Hey Doty will be around the stadium, why dont you go tell him that? What a dumbass.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT