ADVERTISEMENT

Goodbye Kingston

Yet Ray gets an extension from the BOT. He was unqualified for the job from the start but the school got lazy and made an internal hire. I think only one AD had a longer tenure than Ray at Carolina (Rex Enright 1938-1955). Ray's gonna milk that $1M salary for as long as possible. All about the money. McGee and Hyman were much better AD's.
They were afraid of Losing him after BACK TO BACK National Championships. He was an Amazing Baseball coach, not a good AD!!

Reactions: sclawman77
Ray has done fine. He's got what I think is a great basketball hire under his belt and I think Shane Beamer was a solid hire- maybe the one coach in the country that really wanted to be the head coach at South Carolina.

He proved with Chad he'd fire anyone. Chad was a close friend. Many folks here couldn't fire a close friend, a right hand-man that helped Ray win national titles. It might have been a bad decision, but the fans were demanding it.

Kingston is likely staring at this last season. He's been given every opportunity - which was fair- and it's just not working out.

Awful weekend.

Ray has done fine. He's got what I think is a great basketball hire under his belt and I think Shane Beamer was a solid hire- maybe the one coach in the country that really wanted to be the head coach at South Carolina.

He proved with Chad he'd fire anyone. Chad was a close friend. Many folks here couldn't fire a close friend, a right hand-man that helped Ray win national titles. It might have been a bad decision, but the fans were demanding it.

Kingston is likely staring at this last season. He's been given every opportunity - which was fair- and it's just not working out.

Awful weekend.
Jury is clearly still out on Beamer. I would not call it a "solid hire" yet. If wanting to be the coach at Carolina is the standard there are a lot of people that would take the job including my teenage son. I'm sure there are a lot of tight end coaches out there that have never been coordinators that would want to be our coach too for what we're paying.

Reactions: Patriot321
Jury is clearly still out on Beamer. I would not call it a "solid hire" yet. If wanting to be the coach at Carolina is the standard there are a lot of people that would take the job including my teenage son. I'm sure there are a lot of tight end coaches out there that have never been coordinators that would want to be our coach too for what we're paying.
I kinda agree SC" but, the bar isnt set that high in Football, it is as high as it can get in Baseball..

Reactions: sclawman77
I kinda agree SC" but, the bar isnt set that high in Football, it is as high as it can get in Baseball..
Valid points. I'm not expecting us to hire Kirby Smart but one thing's for certain-Ray should have never made the second hire after the Muschamp fiasco.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Kingston's fate likely still hangs any post season performance. We've been in the Top 25 all year. We're above .500 against Top 5 teams; 13-14 against a stacked SEC. Our pitching was ranked in the Top 20 until 2 weeks ago. However, we're wildly and maddeningly inconsistent.

Kingston's fate likely still hangs any post season performance. We've been in the Top 25 all year. We're above .500 against Top 5 teams; 13-14 against a stacked SEC. Our pitching was ranked in the Top 20 until 2 weeks ago. However, we're wildly and maddeningly inconsistent.
Possibly, If there is a MIRACLE and SC wins a regional (on the road) Then a SUPER (on the road) then i say let him stay.. SHORT of that, IMO, he should be canned!!

Reactions: PaleoCock
Noone answered, is SC mathematically Qualified for SEC tourney?? Vandy has 12 wins (TO SC 13) and Florida has 11 wins (to SC 13) So both could sweep their series if SC is swept, and have better record..

Noone answered, is SC mathematically Qualified for SEC tourney?? Vandy has 12 wins (TO SC 13) and Florida has 11 wins (to SC 13) So both could sweep their series if SC is swept, and have better record..
We're in but we'll probably be forced to play in the first round. Auburn and Missouri are out.

you son wasn't qualified.

I didn't say it was the standard. I simply said he was probably the only coach that actually wanted the job at South Carolina. Plenty would have taken it. But Beamer actually really wanted the South Carolina job. No, I don't think there were a lot of tight end coaches out there that were really wanting to be the head coach at South Carolina specifically.

Doesn't mean you offer it to someone that really wants it. But it helps that someone like him really wanted it. The jury is out on him and it's always out on a football coach.

regardless, I think Ray Tanner has done a good job as AD. He's made some obvious mistakes. Muschamp's contract was the main one.

Awful weekend.
You lost me on the first sentence.

you son wasn't qualified.

I didn't say it was the standard. I simply said he was probably the only coach that actually wanted the job at South Carolina. Plenty would have taken it. But Beamer actually really wanted the South Carolina job. No, I don't think there were a lot of tight end coaches out there that were really wanting to be the head coach at South Carolina specifically.

Doesn't mean you offer it to someone that really wants it. But it helps that someone like him really wanted it. The jury is out on him and it's always out on a football coach.

regardless, I think Ray Tanner has done a good job as AD. He's made some obvious mistakes. Muschamp's contract was the main one.
I personally don't think Beamer was qualified to be an SEC head coach when he was hired. Tight ends coach and was never a coordinator when he was handed job. Needed to start as a head coach at a smaller school to prove himself. Beamer was banking on his name and Tanner liked that the former players endorsed him.

I mentioned my son sarcastically because you acted like Beamer's most redeeming quality is wanting to be at Carolina. Of course he does. Who else is paying him $6M a season to miss bowl games?

Last edited:
I personally don't think Beamer was qualified to be an SEC head coach when he was hired. Tight ends coach and was never a coordinator when he was handed job. Needed to start as a head coach at a smaller school to prove himself. Beamer was banking on his name and Tanner liked that the former players endorsed him.

I mentioned my son sarcastically because you acted like Beamer's most redeeming quality is wanting to be at Carolina. Of course he does. Who else is paying him $6M a season to miss bowl games?

I thought he was well qualified. He was the recruiting coordinator under Steve Spurrier, which meant that he ran the entire operation and all the duties a head coach would do given he had Spurrier as the head coach and he wasn't going to do it. He also coordinated special teams for us and Georgia and associate head coach at OU. He had years of experience at major college programs under some outstanding head coaches- many head coaches- many coordinators couldn't say that even today.

I don't think he needed to be a head coach at a smaller school. We've had all sorts of head coaches, and there was no magic formula.

Shane's not calling the plays and we aren't running his offense or defense. If we were, being a head coach or a long time offensive or defensive coordinator might have made sense.

The last hot shot offensive coordinator we hired was Brad Scott fresh off a national championship. Fans were thrilled. We landed a national champion o-coordinator. A man who said he's taken copious amounts of handwritten notes for years in his initial press conference on how to be a head coach. We all know how that turned out.

I don't think Shane's most redeeming quality is wanting to be at South Carolina. I think the fact he wanted to be the head coach at South Carolina is a great quality and an important one, but it's only part of the equation. His experience at South Carolina, at Georgia, at Oklahoma, at Va. Tech, at Mississippi State, at Tennessee does matter.

Urban Meyer was never a coordinator- not even special teams.
P.J. Fleck was never a coordinator
Kirk Ferentz was never a coordinator (except for 1 year at a private high school with less than 500 students when he was 23)

Last edited:
Reactions: cockn'fyr
I thought he was well qualified. He was the recruiting coordinator under Steve Spurrier, which meant that he ran the entire operation and all the duties a head coach would do given he had Spurrier as the head coach and he wasn't going to do it. He also coordinated special teams for us and Georgia and associate head coach at OU. He had years of experience at major college programs under some outstanding head coaches- many head coaches- many coordinators couldn't say that even today.

I don't think he needed to be a head coach at a smaller school. We've had all sorts of head coaches, and there was no magic formula.

Shane's not calling the plays and we aren't running his offense or defense. If we were, being a head coach or a long time offensive or defensive coordinator might have made sense.

The last hot shot offensive coordinator we hired was Brad Scott fresh off a national championship. Fans were thrilled. We landed a national champion o-coordinator. A man who said he's taken copious amounts of handwritten notes for years in his initial press conference on how to be a head coach. We all know how that turned out.

I don't think Shane's most redeeming quality is wanting to be at South Carolina. I think the fact he wanted to be the head coach at South Carolina is a great quality and an important one, but it's only part of the equation. His experience at South Carolina, at Georgia, at Oklahoma, at Va. Tech, at Mississippi State, at Tennessee does matter.

Kirk Ferentz was never a coordinator (except for 1 year at a private high school with less than 500 students when he was 23)
Urban Meyer was a very successful Head coach at 2 schools before being hired by UF. PJ Fleck had been a successful Head Coach before being hired by Iowa. (Also, fyi, he had actually been an OC at Northern Ill - not that it mattered at that point). Kirk Ferentz had Head Coaching experience as well. Having Head Coaching experience trumps whether they were coordinators or not. Had Beamer been a Head Coach nobody would have been talking about whether he had been a coordinator or not. He had not been a HC nor a coordinator. He had only been an Assistant coach. This is not remotely comparable to these other coaches.

Urban Meyer was a very successful Head coach at 2 schools before being hired by UF. PJ Fleck had been a successful Head Coach before being hired by Iowa. (Also, fyi, he had actually been an OC at Northern Ill - not that it mattered at that point). Kirk Ferentz had Head Coaching experience as well. Having Head Coaching experience trumps whether they were coordinators or not. Had Beamer been a Head Coach nobody would have been talking about whether he had been a coordinator or not. He had not been a HC nor a coordinator. He had only been an Assistant coach. This is not remotely comparable to these other coaches.
Assistant coach at VT. Pretty obvious how he got that title so quickly.

Kirk Ferentz was never a coordinator (except for 1 year at a private high school with less than 500 students when he was 23
Fair enough. I'm still not sold on Beamer and think he was an affordable, lazy hire but had the previous connection/former player support and young, high energy appeal. He's still making executive decisions and the coordinator hires have been unimpressive. Do I want him to succeed? Of course. I still say the jury's still out on whether he'll be our coach after two more seasons. I have no issue with him being our recruiting coordinator again. Recruiting ability does not translate to head coaching capability.

And if Beamer turns the program around and makes us a serious SEC east competitor again then I will gladly admit I was completely wrong about him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lurker123
We have been too gun shy when it comes to hiring coordinators/ being burnt by Scott and smaller school head coach/ being burnt by Woods. Since then we have been there and done that with the hiring of coaches with one foot in retirement. Then for some reason we decided to go for a HC that failed elsewhere but at a big school. Now we are at position coaches. No where else to go now. If Beamer doesn't work out we probably ought to simply get over ourselves start the whole process over going back to small school HC or big school coordinators ... too soon? lol

Unless we find some Megadonors like Ole Miss did, it's not going to matter much who is running the show.
Many on the Reddit boards discussing just how brazen Ole Miss has been in their NIL dealings over the past couple of years. I wonder if that will be Kiffin's eventual downfall? Would be fitting.

Right, but he was never a coordinator. He was a wide receivers coach. Then he landed a head coach job.

Ferentz was never a coordinator and got the head job at Maine. After Maine, he couldn't even get a job as a coordinator and went to the NFL as an assistant before getting the job at Iowa.

Dabo Swinney wasn't a top coach at Clemson. He wasn't a coordinator. But he got the head job. Dabo probably wouldn't have been on Furman's radar because he wasn't a coordinator. But he was on Clemson's.

There is no magic formula for a coach.

Experienced offensive coordinators fail all the time as head coaches. Experienced assistants that get coordinator jobs fail all the time. Experienced assistants that move to coordinator and then move to head coach fail all the time.

Brad Scott was an experienced offensive coordinator. He was a big failure at South Carolina.

We've had experienced head coaches that have failed badly at South Carolina. We've had coordinators fail at South Carolina.

Now we have a very experienced SEC and ACC assistant coach as head coach and he's going to get every chance in the world to field a good quality team- as he should.

As I have already said, folks that have your position MIGHT have a point (doubtful, but might) if we hired Shane Beamer to run the Shane Beamer offense or defense. But that's not what we did and there is a good reason for that.

We hired an experienced major college assistant coach and former special teams and recruiting coordinator - just like Clemson did (actually, Shane has much more varied experience than Dabo) - to be a CEO head coach and oversee all aspects of the football program and Shane Beamer is more than qualified to do that in every aspect.

I happen to think being an assistant under Kirby Smart, Steve Spurrier, and Lincoln Riley is more valuable in our head coach than if he'd been the head coach at Ga. Southern or Western Carolina for a few years.

I think Ray probably saw a bit of himself in Shane- an eager assistant coach who took over a major college program like Ray did at NC State.

I think it was a perfectly reasonable choice and we'll see how it turns out in a few more years after giving it a fair chance.

What I'm tired of with both programs is sucking in conference. As for softball, I knew hillbilly tech was going to be good. They are based in a hotbed of talent. Duke surprised me but a lot of folks think they are overrated as far as conference champs go. We will see how good the acc is soon enough. I feel we lucked up going to their regional. That said, what I want and really all I care about is a better showing in conference. I dont give a rip about being ranked say 20th in the nation if we are 11th in the conference. I'm tired of it.
I agree, we do suck in conference, would be nice to actually win conference regular season and tournament

I can't see us winning in Knoxville.

But with this team, It wouldn't shock me to see us play better or pull a game out. I wouldn't predict it though.

Right now we have guys either trying to absolutely crush the ball with two strikes on them or we just stand there and watch the third one go by. Good grief

Kingston's biggest obstacle this year has been having to go up against good coaches. There is no place for him in the SEC.

Kingston's biggest obstacle this year has been having to go up against good coaches. There is no place for him in the SEC.
He did praise his squad for Holding UT under double digits and actually their ability to score a couple runs against a really good Tenn team... Another "Moral" victory in a long miserable line of "Moral" victories over his tenure...

He did praise his squad for Holding UT under double digits and actually their ability to score a couple runs against a really good Tenn team... Another "Moral" victory in a long miserable line of "Moral" victories over his tenure...
Not exactly the kind of thing you want to hear from the coach of a top 25 team for sure. smh

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT