ADVERTISEMENT

Coates out for entire NCAA Tourney

JasonScottinSC

Jul 1, 2010
Alaina Coates is out for the entire NCAA Tournament. That could certainly hurt their chances of a Final Four - even though they played well without her. Should be interesting. That's a big bummer.

Kind of hard to believe an ankle injury would keep someone out of playing in the NCAA tourney.....sounds fishy. Has anyone said that there is structural damage?
Wilson has to play smart and stay out of foul trouble. I will say this, I don't think u beat Uconn slowing game and playing half court. They are not as deep as normal so maybe playing up tempo changes game.

Davis is key, she can make huge difference if shooting well.

Kind of hard to believe an ankle injury would keep someone out of playing in the NCAA tourney.....sounds fishy. Has anyone said that there is structural damage?

Agree. There must be some type of ligament damage or something. Her pro career is more important and there is no need to cause more damage to the ankle, but something doesn't seem right. I didn't see her at the viewing party while watching it. Was she there? I easily could have missed her...

Agree. There must be some type of ligament damage or something. Her pro career is more important and there is no need to cause more damage to the ankle, but something doesn't seem right. I didn't see her at the viewing party while watching it. Was she there? I easily could have missed her...
no. she wasn't there. And I thought there were some different dynamics at the SEC tourney.

A high ankle sprain is worse than a break...Playing her vs UK was a disaster...It takes at least 4 weeks for a high ankle sprain to heal...Donnell Stanley lost the whole football season to one...They never announced it...But i suspected the dreaded high sprain after she reinjured it the week after Missouri...My guess is dawn gave her a shot because she is a senior...But had she been shut completely down after the Mizzou game, maybe we would have her at full strength for the regionals and the FF

This doesn't mean we can't win it all...It means our interior defense is compromised...A'ja will have to let a lot of blocks go to stay out of foul trouble...It's a good thing KiKi Harrigan has been playing so well...She will have to man the post when Wilson needs a blow

Is this the start of the typical FGF CONSPIRACY THEORY???
Only among the uninformed...These same posters know very well a high sprain costs Donnell Stanley the whole football season..The high ankle sprain is worse than a break..They just don't heal unless you give it complete rest for a month

Only among the uninformed...These same posters know very well a high sprain costs Donnell Stanley the whole football season..The high ankle sprain is worse than a break..They just don't heal unless you give it complete rest for a month

Which is why I think there may be some ligament damage. They haven't played in two weeks. Surely she wouldn't play this weekend. Then we go to Stockton the next week. That would be 4 weeks off. The finals would even be a week after that if we made it that far. To rule her completely out makes me think she has had some type of surgery. Could be wrong, but it seems more than just the ankle...

Reactions: goboykin
This team will come together in her absence. They could have easily hung their heads when she went down in the SEC tournament but they played well. Next man up they'll be fine.

Which is why I think there may be some ligament damage. They haven't played in two weeks. Surely she wouldn't play this weekend. Then we go to Stockton the next week. That would be 4 weeks off. The finals would even be a week after that if we made it that far. To rule her completely out makes me think she has had some type of surgery. Could be wrong, but it seems more than just the ankle...

A high ankle sprain is ligament damage

A high ankle sprain is ligament damage

Ok, Im not a trainer, thanks for the info. Question... Being the competitor that we know any college athlete is, especially Alaina, wouldn't you think she would say after 3-4 weeks " Im a senior, this is my last go at a NC, wrap this thing up tight and I am going for it?" or could it be so severe that it would possibly jeopardize her pro career? OR what type of damage would need to be done to have surgery?

Just curious

Reactions: feartheplume
Ok, Im not a trainer, thanks for the info. Question... Being the competitor that we know any college athlete is, especially Alaina, wouldn't you think she would say after 3-4 weeks " Im a senior, this is my last go at a NC, wrap this thing up tight and I am going for it?" or could it be so severe that it would possibly jeopardize her pro career? OR what type of damage would need to be done to have surgery?

Just curious

NO...The terrific error of giving her a shot in the SEC tournament took her back to square one...The NCAA only last 3 weeks...Once she wrenched it again, that was it...It just won't heal before mid April...These things are nasty injuries

Is this the start of the typical FGF CONSPIRACY THEORY???

could be. You tell me. Staley has said she is day to day. she could play
agree and why would you announce it to give other team a chance to prepare differenlty.

I think she must have had surgery or she would have been there last night to celebrate with her team

I think where this injury will hurt us is depth. We are very good offensively when only one big plays. Davis, Gray, Cuevas and even Harris take the ball to the basket quite well. When Coates and Wilson are in at the same time it tends to reduce them to just spot up shooters. We will score plenty. Foul trouble, defensive rebounding, and having to play Wilson 36 minutes a game worry me.

A high ankle sprain is worse than a break...Playing her vs UK was a disaster...It takes at least 4 weeks for a high ankle sprain to heal...Donnell Stanley lost the whole football season to one...They never announced it...But i suspected the dreaded high sprain after she reinjured it the week after Missouri...My guess is dawn gave her a shot because she is a senior...But had she been shut completely down after the Mizzou game, maybe we would have her at full strength for the regionals and the FF

This doesn't mean we can't win it all...It means our interior defense is compromised...A'ja will have to let a lot of blocks go to stay out of foul trouble...It's a good thing KiKi Harrigan has been playing so well...She will have to man the post when Wilson needs a blow
I didn't like Her going back in there against Kentucky. I knew the wildcats defense was gonna close up the middle, and that wasn't good for Alania. Already being injured,"that was a bad decision to put her back in there!

I saw her on twitter in a boot and on a scooter. Im hoping against hope this is a stategy to fool everyone, and she suits up and makes of go of it. I hate it for her as a senior to go out like this. Sucks for her.

Reactions: Brace1
Always a weak link somewhere. At least we now have our excuse built in.
giphy.gif

Not that it matters, but from what I've seen and heard, it's not a high ankle sprain. I don't blame Staley for not spilling the beans earlier because the NCAA could have knocked them down to a 2 seed (which would have been wrong, but if you go into a tournament without your All-American center, it would change the committees feeling about how good this team is even though they have won a few games without her). Of course, the irony is (since we're doing conspiracy theories), a 2 seed might have put them in Lexington! Oh well. Just win!

Reactions: vacock#
I really hate this for her, but the trainers and doctors know best. She has a pro career coming up, and whether we like it or not, she has to look to that.

I just regret not being able to see her play again. She is a dominating presence.

Very upsetting all around, especially in light of that #1 seed on the West Coast. Dang.

GOCOCKS! BEATMARQUETTE! BEATUNCA! BEATUT!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT