ADVERTISEMENT

College Admissions Scandal

Wiles2

Feb 18, 2006
Just ran across the lead prosecutor's press conference. He outlines at length how parents paid large sums of $$ to get their kid into these elite schools...But then around the 8-minute mark states: "We're not talking about donating a building so that a school is more likely to take your son or daughter..."

That is beyond classic. If someone sees a delineation, please elaborate.

https://www.law.com/nationallawjour...e-admissions-scandal/?slreturn=20190306224747

Reactions: rogue cock
There is none really.

What I find interesting is schools can pay players or their families to get players to come there (Clemson, Duke, etc.) and nobody worries about that, but parents can’t buy their kids admission? The kids still have to go to school and get the grades to graduate, right? Of course, unless they go to UNC. Oops, I forgot that is OK too.

Who really cares? Colleges don’t really teach anything of value these days anyways - unless it is a professional degree like medicine or engineering. Liberal Arts institutions are literally a joke and just steal money from their students (or Mom and Dad).

Reactions: jimnasium
There is none really.

What I find interesting is schools can pay players or their families to get players to come there (Clemson, Duke, etc.) and nobody worries about that, but parents can’t buy their kids admission? The kids still have to go to school and get the grades to graduate, right? Of course, unless they go to UNC. Oops, I forgot that is OK too.

Who really cares? Colleges don’t really teach anything of value these days anyways - unless it is a professional degree like medicine or engineering. Liberal Arts institutions are literally a joke and just steal money from their students (or Mom and Dad).
I beg to differ. Liberal Arts encourage and train people to think. On that note, I am concerned that too many Americans are challenged when it comes to “thinking”.

There is none really.

Agree. Colleges are a business just like anything else. Harvard, Yale, Stanford, etc. has carefully crafted an image over the years that they are superior institutions - they have the golden books. And thus the best and brightest come to their schools which propels the narrative.

I would like to see a call for people to participate in a national bi-partisan political debate. Fingerprinting would be required of the attendees. Then we would have a national data base of certified idiots.

I beg to differ. Liberal Arts encourage and train people to think. On that note, I am concerned that too many Americans are challenged when it comes to “thinking”.
So, it is not the institutions failure to teach - it is the students are too dumb to learn? Interesting perspective. Over the years, i’ve seen very little (not all) academic therory translate to real world application - usually because many variables aren’t consider in the therory. In the end, good ole ingenuity and common sense makes things work.

What degrees have the most difficult times landing a job within their degree field? And, typical must land jobs outside their degree field.

Just ran across the lead prosecutor's press conference. He outlines at length how parents paid large sums of $$ to get their kid into these elite schools...But then around the 8-minute mark states: "We're not talking about donating a building so that a school is more likely to take your son or daughter..."

That is beyond classic. If someone sees a delineation, please elaborate.

https://www.law.com/nationallawjour...e-admissions-scandal/?slreturn=20190306224747
It is a distinction without a difference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT