ADVERTISEMENT

College Baseball: A interesting point of discussion. The 10 Run Rule.

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
Near the end of our game the announcers were talking about how they were in favor of the 10 run rule for college baseball. They stated when a team is down by 10 runs it was no fun for either team, blah, blah, blah.

Well, when our game was over SECN switched to the Miss State vs Auburn game. At the top of the 1st the score was MSU 10-0, obviously Auburn had not even had a chance to bat at that point. If there was a 10 Run Rule in effect would the game be over without Auburn not even having a chance to bat? I'm sure Auburn would have been given a chance to bat and/or the game would have to be played 7 innings or something to that affect.

But, it just seems funny if a team went up by 10 or more runs at the top of the 1st inning the game would be over. LOL!

Near the end of our game the announcers were talking about how they were in favor of the 10 run rule for college baseball. They stated when a team is down by 10 runs it was no fun for either team, blah, blah, blah.

Well, when our game was over SECN switched to the Miss State vs Auburn game. At the top of the 1st the score was MSU 10-0, obviously Auburn had not even had a chance to bat at that point. If there was a 10 Run Rule in effect would the game be over without Auburn not even having a chance to bat? I'm sure Auburn would have been given a chance to bat and/or the game would have to be played 7 innings or something to that affect.

But, it just seems funny if a team went up by 10 or more runs at the top of the 1st inning the game would be over. LOL!

Don't most of these "mercy rules" tie the run # with the inning #? For example, it calls the game if one team is ahead by ___ runs after ____ innings.

Not sure if it's still this way, but I think college softball had a 10 run rule after 5 of 7 innings in tournaments mainly to keep up with the schedule... time wise. I wouldnt be opposed to that being the case tournament or not, softball and baseball, but after 7 for baseball. No sooner.

I thought it was strange that the announcers were wishing that the game would end. If the game is that boring, perhaps they should not be getting paid to announce it. A good announcer can keep everyone engaged (including themselves) with interesting stories, stats and anecdotes. That is an aspect of baseball that makes it so uniquely fun.

I thought it was strange that the announcers were wishing that the game would end. If the game is that boring, perhaps they should not be getting paid to announce it. A good announcer can keep everyone engaged (including themselves) with interesting stories, stats and anecdotes. That is an aspect of baseball that makes it so uniquely fun.

Interesting point, I never looked at it that way but you are right. I love to listen to great announcers, like the great late Bob Fulton, Keith Jackson and many more.

Interesting point, I never looked at it that way but you are right. I love to listen to great announcers, like the great late Bob Fulton, Keith Jackson and many more.

What game were you watching? They were talking about the possibility of using the SEC Tournament rule where if you're up 10 AFTER 7 innings, the game is over. Seems like a plan to me. Mizzou was clearly ready to go home, why not call it a game and move on to the next game instead of wasting pitching.

I also like the 7 inning Double-Headers they use in MLB now.

Reactions: Lakecock1
What game were you watching? They were talking about the possibility of using the SEC Tournament rule where if you're up 10 AFTER 7 innings, the game is over. Seems like a plan to me. Mizzou was clearly ready to go home, why not call it a game and move on to the next game instead of wasting pitching.

I also like the 7 inning Double-Headers they use in MLB now.
Well, ever once in a while the team down by 10 runs might come back and win the game, not often but it could happen.

Likewise, using your reasoning why not call the Miss State vs Auburn game after the top of the 1st. MSU was ahead 10-0.

10 run rule would be if a team has a 10 run lead at the end of a specific inning (6th or 7th would be most likely). The game would not be over in the middle of any inning, and would not be called before deep into the game.

I know it’s in effect this season for d 2 and 3. You have to play 7 complete innings if home team is down or just through top 7 if home team up by 10

IMHO, there needs to be an agreement to end the game at any point with both coaches agreeing, set the final score, and then have a scrimmage when each team can make any substitution they want so younger players and benchwarmers can play.

Even in youth sports, the ten run rule doesn’t take effect until the scheduled halfway mark. College softball has an eight run rule that goes into effect in the fifth inning if correct.

By the way, the SEC uses a ten run rule in the tournament that is in effect starting in the fifth inning.

Even in youth sports, the ten run rule doesn’t take effect until the scheduled halfway mark. College softball has an eight run rule that goes into effect in the fifth inning if correct.

By the way, the SEC uses a ten run rule in the tournament that is in effect starting in the fifth inning.

I don't particularly have an issue with the ten run rule in the SEC tournament. It's a glorified exhibition, and teams don't necessarily need to burn through a bunch of pitchers in advance of the real tournament that starts shortly thereafter. Heck, we've practically forfeited games there in the past in hopes of returning home as quick as possible.

Reactions: Jbouton2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT