ADVERTISEMENT

Colorado state QB is coming to USC

Is there any Graduate transfers that we can get? I bet there is at least one FCS player out there that is a stud that could play for us.

If anyone on staff would take time to think this out............
Let say the Colorado kid earns the start. You could p!ay both Hillsinki and Doty four games each in back up situations and have them learn in actual games and redshirt. For the life of me I do not understand why we refuse to give back up quarterbacks game experience. Perhaps we don't want to squander our run at the national title. Hint...we were out of the running after UNC game.

I wondered about BoBo's comments about his recent meeting with Hillinski. He made the remark that Hillinski was "here", that his family lived here and he would have to develop a relationship with him. Almost like he thought Hillinski might leave. More Gamecock drama coming. Pro Style QB with three ACL tears. People in the thread talking about moving Doty to receiver. Those of us who think we will never win without a mobile QB should throw in the towel. I certainly hope the new young man ( and Hillinski) have great experiences here. But one day, one day, a coach around here will realize you actually recruit mobile QBs and you actually play them.
3 of the QBs in the playoff are non-mobile pro-type. Why are some people so obsessed with a mobile QB who may not be able to hit the broad side of a barn.

Give me a break. We had one of the worst offenses in the country this year. He is guaranteed nothing.
With one of the most terrible inexperienced play callers whom had no imagination. Hilinski showed me enough when healthy that proved to ME that he is more than capable especially with a experienced guy like Bobo

Reactions: rogue cock
A healthy Hilinski will start. Healthy is not gauranteed. We need a good backup that knows the offense and can throw touchdowns.
Exactly. Hilinski will start, this guy will be a backup and try to hold onto Doty redshirt in case Hilinski gets hurt. We saw this year with Bentley, Hilinski and Joyner injured, you can’t have too many QB that aren’t walk ons.

With one of the most terrible inexperienced play callers whom had no imagination. Hilinski showed me enough when healthy that proved to ME that he is more than capable especially with a experienced guy like Bobo
Overall Ryan was very inconsistent. I like the kid but I see a ton of room for improvement. To me the qb race is wide open. I'm not sure how anyone can already pencil him in as the starter next year when he led one of the worst offenses in the country to 4 wins. How do you know at all that he's going to take off under Bobo? That's wishful thinking at best.

3 of the QBs in the playoff are non-mobile pro-type. Why are some people so obsessed with a mobile QB who may not be able to hit the broad side of a barn.
Which of these QBs would you call immobile? Lawrence isn't a run-first guy, but he can run well. Same with Burrow. Hurts is very mobile QB. Today, fields isn't mobile, but that's injury related. Every one of these QBs can tuck it and go.

Overall Ryan was very inconsistent. I like the kid but I see a ton of room for improvement. To me the qb race is wide open. I'm not sure how anyone can already pencil him in as the starter next year when he led one of the worst offenses in the country to 4 wins. How do you know at all that he's going to take off under Bobo? That's wishful thinking at best.

I think many people expect to see him play better for three reasons. First, we watched him throw the ball in HS, spring, and in the 2 games before he banged up his elbow and tore his meniscus, requiring him to wear a brace for most of the year. It was obvious that the injuries affected his ability to step into passes, move, and throw. The assumption is that he'll be healthy to start the year. Two, he has a year of SEC experience under his belt, which honestly does help even if it was a rough year, and he's worked with all of the guys who are likely to be our primary WRs and TEs (at least to start). Three (and admittedly most speculative), we have a new OC and QB coach who can hopefully call a legitimate set of plays. None of these mean he'll be given the job or even keep it through the season, but he's obviously going to be the front runner to start the year.

Which of these QBs would you call immobile? Lawrence isn't a run-first guy, but he can run well. Same with Burrow. Hurts is very mobile QB. Today, fields isn't mobile, but that's injury related. Every one of these QBs can tuck it and go.
And clearly, Lawrence running the ball will win this game for Clemson tonight. You can see how limited Ohio State is with Fields hurt tonight.

Exactly! The way Bobo talked about him he’s not guaranteed anything. Bobo basically said the kid was awful, without uttering the word. When a coach says you’re not fundamentally good it means you’re not ready yet. And I know a lot of posters on here don’t wanna here that but it’s true. The Kid was not ready but he does have talent; He can play, but I knew he would be shut down as soon as teams got film on him. And I said that after his first and second start even though a lot of fans blamed injuries. Hopefully Ryan comes back fully healthy and Bobo is able to coach him up to where he needs to be, and by no means should their be any favoritism going into camp!

That and he wasn't asked to throw 50 times a game.
Bentley led a team his true freshman season that was coming off a 3 win season including a loss to the Citadel. He was a better qb his freshman year than Ryan. It's a fact. He helped win six games with a brand new coach and program and go to a bowl. He made some big plays that year. I'm not saying it was an amazing accomplishment but more impressive than Ryan's freshman year.

Last edited:
Bentley led a team his true freshman season that was coming off a 3 win season including a loss to the Citadel. He was a better qb his freshman year than Ryan. It's a fact. He helped win six games with a brand new coach and program and go to a bowl. He made some big plays that year. I'm not saying it was an amazing accomplishment but more impressive than Ryan's freshman year.
Absolutely!!!

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
I don’t know if it was talent or development issues or both but QB is a position we have been struggling with for a long time. So I’m glad we have another option coming in to compete for the position.

Reactions: Brace1
If anyone on staff would take time to think this out............
Let say the Colorado kid earns the start. You could p!ay both Hillsinki and Doty four games each in back up situations and have them learn in actual games and redshirt. For the life of me I do not understand why we refuse to give back up quarterbacks game experience. Perhaps we don't want to squander our run at the national title. Hint...we were out of the running after UNC game.
Don't question the Muskrat. He's all knowing.

Reactions: uscalumni
Apples and oranges... Bentley didn't throw the ball near as much and the team was better. Also he didn't spend 90 percent of the time on his back...

According to Muschamp this was his most talented team at South Carolina. :confused: I don’t know maybe I’m wrong, and Bentley did take over a better team. :rolleyes:
Damn sure took over a better coached team because they were coached by Spurriers crew.

Reactions: howard13
Apples and oranges... Bentley didn't throw the ball near as much and the team was better. Also he didn't spend 90 percent of the time on his back...
Team was better? I'm not a Muschamp fan and assuming you aren't either admitting we're worse in year 4 than in year 1 coming off 3 wins. That essentially means all this discussion is moot for year 5 with the same man in charge it's sad to say.

Last edited:
Team was better? I'm not a Muschamp fan and assuming you aren't either admitting we're worse in year 4 than in year 1 coming off 3 wins. That essentially means all this discussion is moot for year 5.
Did you not see the product on the field... Players are better, product is worse.. imo

Team was better? I'm not a Muschamp fan and assuming you aren't either admitting we're worse in year 4 than in year 1 coming off 3 wins. That essentially means all this discussion is moot for year 5.
The 3 win team had no leader. Elliott was a fill in and Spurrier had lost the team. That team was a bit better than their record by the end of it. They had the talent to be. People point at that 3 win team and say "look how terrible we were". We weren't. We transitioned in that year from one coach to another.

Reactions: Brace1
That last part isn’t going to change until we get an actual oline coach.

Did you not see the product on the field... Players are better, product is worse.. imo
My entire point is not to trash Ryan. He was put in a tough spot. I'm simply saying it was clear who our starting QB was going to be in '17-Bentley. It's not so cut and dry going into the '20 season. Even though Ryan was our starter last year, It is an open race. He has a lot of room for improvement.

Impossible. I heard a bunch of football coaches on this board tell us there was no way the kid was coming here.

He'll help us even if he never plays. A grad transfer veteran QB who is familiar with Bobo's offense will be a great resource for Hilinski and our other QBs.
Bingo...and I'd expect to see him as a GA the following year. This is a great opportunity to him and Hilinski and Doty...Hill knows the offense better than anyone and can help both our other QBs and can provide quality minutes in relief or if there is an injury, has the knowledge and ability to step in. Win, win...for everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brace1 and GeoCocky
Bingo...and I'd expect to see him as a GA the following year. This is a great opportunity to him and Hilinski and Doty...Hill know the offense better than anyone and can help both our other QBs and can provide quality minutes in relief or if there is an injury, has the knowledge and ability to step in. Win, win...for everyone.
I thought we didn't know what the offense was going to be because Bobo was going to look at the personnel. I think we all know that's BS.

When younger players are replacing older ones, talent is improving. What you are losing is experience....and that's very important at several positions. Then when you have injuries like we did on the OL and are forced to play 2 freshmen and one sophomore, it doesn't bode well.

I thought we didn't know what the offense was going to be because Bobo was going to look at the personnel. I think we all know that's BS.
I haven't heard that. There are several good articles on another site discussing Bobo's offense and his thoughts on this offense and what he wants to do.

He may make minor changes depending on personnel, but I wouldn't expect a wholesale change in the offense. He likes using a FB, which I'm not sure we have on the roster and uses TEs heavily especially when they can create a mismatch....hence Shaw and Bell, both very athletic and quick TEs.

My entire point is not to trash Ryan. He was put in a tough spot. I'm simply saying it was clear who our starting QB was going to be in '17-Bentley. It's not so cut and dry going into the '20 season. Even though Ryan was our starter last year, It is an open race. He has a lot of room for improvement.
He only had two games where he wasn't starting injured. He played very well in both. I think he needs some hard work in strength and conditioning so he can play better through injuries in the future.

Reactions: rogue cock
He only had two games where he wasn't starting injured. He played very well in both. I think he needs some hard work in strength and conditioning so he can play better through injuries in the future.
I dont think its him that needs the S&C so much as its him needing a decent Oline and WRs. Our Wrs are substandard.

Doty is the best out of all the QB's. We Must have a dual threat QB. If nobody down field is open what does a pro style Qb do nothing get sacked or throw it away. saw that alot this year. Just my opinion​

I dont think its him that needs the S&C so much as its him needing a decent Oline and WRs. Our Wrs are substandard.
Yep. He needs Leggette and Vann to step up, Shi to continue playing well...and, hopefully, Powers or Caldwell (?) will step up as a freshman.

Interested in seeing Wyman also....big receiver who was considered a Top-100 player coming out of his Junior year, but had a mediocre Senior season on a very, very bad team. His offer list is amazing.

When younger players are replacing older ones, talent is improving. What you are losing is experience....and that's very important at several positions. Then when you have injuries like we did on the OL and are forced to play 2 freshmen and one sophomore, it doesn't bode well.
I agree

Team was better? I'm not a Muschamp fan and assuming you aren't either admitting we're worse in year 4 than in year 1 coming off 3 wins. That essentially means all this discussion is moot for year 5 with the same man in charge it's sad to say.

I'm of the opinion most fans are unaware or not considering how long this quality of football is likely to continue. It will not end in 2020.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT