ADVERTISEMENT

Columbia poleece calling Muschamp a liar

The power of the press relies on an audience actually believing what they say. I don't believe anything a local, state, or national news outlet says anymore. It's very sad.
It doesn't depend on the individual; it's about the herd and it's about the prevailing mood at a particular time.

I think what everyone wants is to just not be their freaking target.

The State had a choice whether to run a story that all the facts were not in on, or wait and provide a factual story. They chose to run something that made USC look bad AGAIN.

Nobody wants a Clemson situation, that turns into a Penn State situation.

All anybody should want is the truth to be published, not something that "could" be true. It wasn't like someone was maimed, like Cumbie did at Clemson.
That's exactly what happened. The story said an incident report alleges this. An incident report alleged that. 100% accurate.
Police and incident reports are common fodder for news organizations. At what point do you think it's appropriate to report on an allegation? Do charges have to be filed first? Do we have to wait until a conviction? If you don't want the contents of a police report published, where do you draw the line and say "now, it's ok?"

That's exactly what happened. The story said an incident report alleges this. An incident report alleged that. 100% accurate.
Police and incident reports are common fodder for news organizations. At what point do you think it's appropriate to report on an allegation? Do charges have to be filed first? Do we have to wait until a conviction? If you don't want the contents of a police report published, where do you draw the line and say "now, it's ok?"

At the point of indictment....at least that way a group of independent people have reached a conclusion that there is reasonable cause to believe the alleged facts. It may not reach the definition of "beyond reasonable doubt" for a guilty vertdict, but at least someone has done at least a little bit of an investigation into the situation (which newspapers used to do...calling it "running down the story").

Why does this local rag of a newspaper have to always be at odds with USC? I go only so far back, but I remember them being very critical of Frank McGuire. Not to worry though, the paper is actually shrinking in physical size, content, journalism, and real facts. It'll be gone soon enough. A dying business. Reminds me of an uncle I had who said his grandfather cornered the market on buggy whips in 1907 and some SOB went and invented the automobile.

Why does this local rag of a newspaper have to always be at odds with USC?

Because they don't care if you like their product, they only care about clicks and subscriptions. Angry Gamecock fans read Giese, Helms, and Morris for decades just to see what that sumbitch said about Carolina.

The odd thing is that the coaches seemed not to care all that much up to a point. McGuire and Helms were friends, and Morris never seemed to get too much blow-back from HCs until Spurrier banned him (a move which I will forever believe did not have as simple a motivation as it appeared - SOS knew the news about Garcia's failed alcohol test/imminent dismissal was breaking within a day, and I contend he raised hell about RM to divert some of the negative press from Stephen to himself)

Why does this local rag of a newspaper have to always be at odds with USC? I go only so far back, but I remember them being very critical of Frank McGuire. Not to worry though, the paper is actually shrinking in physical size, content, journalism, and real facts. It'll be gone soon enough. A dying business. Reminds me of an uncle I had who said his grandfather cornered the market on buggy whips in 1907 and some SOB went and invented the automobile.
It's the same everywhere. Get a UGA fan going about the AJC. Every fanbase thinks ESPN is out to get them. Etc

So the police department told The State that the suspects listed were not verified but The State ran the story anyhow.... if that is not reckless and negligent what it?

Definition of verify

verified
;
verifying
  1. transitive verb
  2. 1: to establish the truth, accuracy, or reality of verify the claim

3. 2: to confirm or substantiate in law by oath

Definition of libel
  1. 1a : a written statement in which a plaintiff in certain courts sets forth the cause of action or the relief soughtb archaic : a handbill especially attacking or defaming someone

2. 2a : a written or oral defamatory statement or representation that conveys an unjustly unfavorable impressionb (1) : a statement or representation published without just cause and tending to expose another to public contempt (2) : defamation of a person by written or representational means (3) : the publication of blasphemous, treasonable, seditious, or obscene writings or pictures (4) : the act, tort, or crime of publishing such a libel

Is this sportssuite

I didn't get the memo that drinking until 3am at 5 points was a required course for a non-lame college student.
Damn guy, you were never aware of that being a popular minor at Carolina?? Hell, I know quite a few who aquired a major in it!!! And of course all of us that extended our education there were absolutely "non-lame"!! Sorry you missed the experience!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT