ADVERTISEMENT

Concealed Weapon Permit Question

MANAFOLD

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2004
Thinking of taking a trip into western North Carolina and then over into Tennessee. Anyone know if my CWP would be valid in those states? Also, behind back seat of my pickup I carry a Mossberg 500 Tactical shotgun, AKA a long gun. How much trouble would it present if it were discovered in a traffic stop?

Thinking of taking a trip into western North Carolina and then over into Tennessee. Anyone know if my CWP would be valid in those states? Also, behind back seat of my pickup I carry a Mossberg 500 Tactical shotgun, AKA a long gun. How much trouble would it present if it were discovered in a traffic stop?

"Dear Lord, you own a gun? And CWP to boot?"
-most people after reading your posts

Your weapons are perfectly fine in those states. If you have a CWP, you should hand the officer your permit and whatever else he ask for and tell the officer you have weapons in the car.

I live in NC, although I don't know the law. However, the last thing i will do is reach for a gun to put it in plan sight as the officer is approaching the vehicle. That's a good way to make the nightly news.
In NC they want the handgun readily visible if they approach the vehicle. I'm not sure about Tennessee. Also, the long gun is a no-no in NC, as far as I know..

Definitely not a place up in them thar hills to go unarmed for sure.
mPKrVSq.gif

Last edited:
I live in NC, although I don't know the law. However, the last thing i will do is reach for a gun to put it in plan sight as the officer is approaching the vehicle. That's a good way to make the nightly news.

Yeah....be careful about the whole presenting your weapon to the officer. I almost got shot one night trying to let the officer know that a handgun was in the car. My advice is put it in a glove box and leave it there and only mention it if the police officer ask. Better to run afoul of the local laws about this than to get yourself killed on a miscommunication.

Oh and do not put the weapon in the same spot as your insurance and registration.

You listen to the advice on here you will go to jail if stopped. Google is your friend.

We have reciprocity with both nc and tenn. If you get pulled show the officer your cwp along with driver's license. The officer will know you're in possession. No big deal. Oh yeah, Follow the officers instructions! You'll be fine.

Reciprocity means nothing if you aren't following their laws. You still have to do as their law requires. Again google those state's laws instead of coming to a forum asking questions.

Definitely not a place up in them thar hills to go unarmed for sure.
mPKrVSq.gif

Trivia for those who may not know.

The movie Deliverance (1972) was based on a novel written by James Dickey, an English professor at the University of South Carolina. (True)

The movie was (partially) filmed in the area surrounding present-day Lake Jocassee formed from the dam containing Horsepasture, Toxaway, Whitewater, and Thompson Rivers. In fact, that dam is mentioned prominently in the storyline of the movie. <true>

It is believed he was inspired to write the story based on his knowledge of people from cLIMPson. <s>

I didn't say to take it out as he was approaching, I just said the law states they want it in plain sight.

Now in SC, if you're not a CWP but carry in your vehicle, they want it concealed in the vehicle more than one move away, like a glove box or a middle console, closed. It doesn't have to be locked. In NC, they don't want it concealed. That is their law, yes it sounds cooky, and crazy. Definitely don't reach for it, just have it on the seat or dash or whatever..

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Yeah....be careful about the whole presenting your weapon to the officer. I almost got shot one night trying to let the officer know that a handgun was in the car. My advice is put it in a glove box and leave it there and only mention it if the police officer ask. Better to run afoul of the local laws about this than to get yourself killed on a miscommunication.

Oh and do not put the weapon in the same spot as your insurance and registration.

The gun in a glove box is a no-no in NC..

Visible or concealed on you(if u have a permit)

You're fine in both states. Just hand your Permit to the officer along with your license. DO NOT present your firearm(s) to the officer unless they ask you to do so. Most will ask you where it is and when you tell them they will tell you to leave it there. If they ask you to present it, then grab the trigger guard by slipping your thumb through the guard and connecting it to your little finger. Lift it up to the officer. In this manner you cannot swing it up to fire it. Seeing this, the officer will know you are not a threat. I've been stopped in many southern states and not had a problem -- even in states without reciprocity all of my encounters have gone well. Be sure to be courteous and respectful to the officer regardless of his/her demeanor towards you.

You're fine in both states. Just hand your Permit to the officer along with your license. DO NOT present your firearm(s) to the officer unless they ask you to do so. Most will ask you where it is and when you tell them they will tell you to leave it there. If they ask you to present it, then grab the trigger guard by slipping your thumb through the guard and connecting it to your little finger. Lift it up to the officer. In this manner you cannot swing it up to fire it. Seeing this, the officer will know you are not a threat. I've been stopped in many southern states and not had a problem -- even in states without reciprocity all of my encounters have gone well. Be sure to be courteous and respectful to the officer regardless of his/her demeanor towards you.
I would feel a little funny presenting my weapon to an officer. I would prefer to ask him to please take it yourself. I'm sure he would understand.

Once I was stopped while carrying on foot, and I presented my license and CWP. The officer removed my weapon, and handed me the magazine. After he was satisfied I was not who they were looking for , he gave my weapon back and I replaced the magazine and again concealed the weapon.

Last edited:
Only time ive been stopped i handed hin my dl and cwp and he asked if i was carrying and i told him it was in my console and that was it. Just dont panic.

Reactions: bushmastercock
Only time ive been stopped i handed hin my dl and cwp and he asked if i was carrying and i told him it was in my console and that was it. Just dont panic.
^^ & Follow the officers instructions! The common denominator in every police shooting I've seen , except the dude on broad river, is failure to follow instructions

In NC they want the handgun readily visible if they approach the vehicle. I'm not sure about Tennessee. Also, the long gun is a no-no in NC, as far as I know..

What do you mean the long gun is a no-no?
Is it illegal to transport a shotgun or rifle in NC?

Good advice. Calm demeanor is infectious, and that is what you want. Also, it never hurts to place hands in plain view on steering wheel. No sudden moves, common sense.

Also, avoid police interactions by driving the speed limit, etc. And, never get into a car with a mad woman.

While in NC, take your weapon out of glove box or console and place on passenger seat... I live twenty minutes from the state line and have just gotten in the habit of doing this any time I cross the line... Show cwp and inform officer immediately that you have a weapon... Never had a problem...

You must be one really scared person!

In my concealed carry class in NC we were told that the police will likely already know you have a CWP by running your plate. They said to turn on your interior lights (if night time), crack your window enough to speak clearly with the officer and place both hands on the steering wheel with fingers extended as the cop approaches. There was no mention of taking your weapon out of concealment. This information came directly from a police officer teaching the concealed carry training class.

The gun in a glove box is a no-no in NC..

Visible or concealed on you(if u have a permit)
Gun in glove box in NC is ok as long as you have CCP. If you get pulled by LEO and have a CCP, make sure the first thing you do, disclose you have a CCP and keep both hands on steering wheel. All will be good.

Reactions: Golden Cock
Gun in glove box in NC is ok as long as you have CCP. If you get pulled by LEO and have a CCP, make sure the first thing you do, disclose you have a CCP and keep both hands on steering wheel. All will be good.

Now is that with a NC cwp or a recipical state cwp?

I just carry mine on me when in NC in the vehicle and usually in my console in sc, but i'd always declare to an officer.. even if i do not have my
Weapon i declare i have a permit but no weapon.. i am sure its in their database who has a permit and who does not,, but i want them to be as comfortable as possible

Now is that with a NC cwp or a recipical state cwp?

I just carry mine on me when in NC in the vehicle and usually in my console in sc, but i'd always declare to an officer.. even if i do not have my
Weapon i declare i have a permit but no weapon.. i am sure its in their database who has a permit and who does not,, but i want them to be as comfortable as possible
In SC you do not have to show your permit if you are not carrying it on your person or in your car. Also, I believe that in SC, your permit is not linked to your Driver's License or tag number. Although one year when I renewed, SLED sent me someone else's permit by mistake, when I returned it they sent me a newly issued permit with my most recent DL photo on it. They told me they did it as a courtesy, so perhaps they have linked them since I first got my permit so many years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT