ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats to our Baseball team

Our RPI is 19 so we were getting in. Projected as #3 seed but a deep run could maybe move us up to a #2. Possibly

Could be. We were seeded #10 in this tournament and if we had lost it might have kept us out. I doubt the selection committee wanted 10 SEC teams in the mix but maybe so.

Reactions: cockofdawn
First home run that pitcher gave up this season. They have best staff in country. He has two 420 ft bombs today
Replying to myself. Watched recap. Third home run given up by their closer this year. I heard "first" during live broadcast. Need to clean out my ears. Either way, nice work by Messina.

Last edited:
Lol. Would not have been a nail biter with just a third of those in.

I was trying to find a clip of UF's coach Sullivan discussing this exact thing. He's regarded by most to be the best in College Baseball over the past 10-15 years. They were talking about his "secret recipe" of success and he basically stated that it's a function of recruiting the best players with good instincts and playing the odds through computer analysis. He said the idea of fancy small ball and things of that nature still occasionally have their place in the game. However, it's much more of function of the former in today's strategy.

The biggest difference between Kingston's and Ray's success lies in recruiting (vs. coaching). Ray was pulling in Top 5 classes and Kingston has been pulling in classes outside of the Top 20. Huge difference in talent -- especially depth wise. I believe this is why Kingston teams go hot and cold so consistently. Same with football really.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Kingston after this post season. Will making it to the Regionals only be enough to save his job? It probably shouldn't be. However, for the first time his upcoming recruiting class (85+% complete) is right around the Top 10 mark. That could be a major factor in his future at USC. Ray knows it's mostly a talent game too. Will he want to risk breaking up a very good recruiting class for the first time in a long time to turnover the staff? I'm not sure he will.

I was trying to find a clip of UF's coach Sullivan discussing this exact thing. He's regarded by most to be the best in College Baseball over the past 10-15 years. They were talking about his "secret recipe" of success and he basically stated that it's a function of recruiting the best players with good instincts and playing the odds through computer analysis. He said the idea of fancy small ball and things of that nature still occasionally have their place in the game. However, it's much more of function of the former in today's game.

The biggest difference between Kingston's and Ray's success lies in recruiting (vs. coaching). Ray was pulling in Top 5 classes and Kingston has been pulling in classes outside of the Top 20. Huge difference in talent -- especially depth wise. I believe this is why Kingston teams go hot and cold so consistently. Same with football really.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Kingston after this post season. Will making it to the Regionals only be enough to save his job? It probably shouldn't be. However, for the first time his upcoming recruiting class (85+% complete) is right around the Top 10 mark. That could be a major factor in his future at USC. Ray knows it's mostly a talent game too. Will he want to risk breaking up a very good recruiting class for the first time in a long time to turnover the staff? I'm not sure he will.
I still stick to the Omaha or fire him. But hey, lucky for him I am not making that decision!

It's been a crazy tournament, has a higher seed won a game yet? That's baseball!

The ball seems to be flying out of Hoover a lot more this year!

The first two games today are elimination games with 4 of the top 5 teams in the country per D1! Unbelievable tournament!

Great win over a Top 5 team in a pressure situation. That should seal the NCAA Tournament bid.
Man, you got it all wrong. It's baseball, they should play the same every game. The better teams win every game. You must not know baseball. We left x number of men on base, so although the scoreboard says different, we lost this game. We suck. Our kids are losers and the coaches should have to find their own rides back to Cola. Nothing productive coming out of Hoover this week. You gotta listen to the experts. Baseball teams don't get hot or cold at different times of the season. Day 1 is the same as day 100. Get with the program and quit being a sunshine pumper.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ward Jr
So I'm watching the 1st inning of the LSU game and I'm wondering if it's too much to ask to swing the bat. Three (count them) three called 3rd strikes.

Never seen a coach refuse to pinch hit with the game on the line, bottom of the ninth and your worst hitter up.
Kingston isn't qualified to coach T-Ball.
I'm not sure if was paying attention or his assistants weren't doing their jobs or what. What blew my mind more than anything else was the fact we had a pitcher throwing 71 mph pitches going up against a right handed batter (Braswell no less) knowing dang well there's a 90% chance he will pull it hard on the 3rd base side... and we decided it was a good idea in that situation to play our 3rd baseman 10 feet off the foul line. I mean how can you have a half dozen adults in the dugout supposedly in charge and no one notices that with the game on the line. Unreal.

Reactions: cockn'fyr
I'm not sure if was paying attention or his assistants weren't doing their jobs or what. What blew my mind more than anything else was the fact we had a pitcher throwing 71 mph pitches going up against a right handed batter (Braswell no less) knowing dang well there's a 90% chance he will pull it hard on the 3rd base side... and we decided it was a good idea in that situation to play our 3rd baseman 10 feet off the foul line. I mean how can you have a half dozen adults in the dugout supposedly in charge and no one notices that with the game on the line. Unreal.
True. I like Veach but the guy gets a little too animated sometimes. I like the passion and I know we badly wanted that win but sometimes it's good to go back to the dugout about your business. Save it for after a win. He got that 8th inning third strikeout and was screaming and making hand gestures. I knew that would fire LSU up. Oh well. The fielding let him down too. Kennedy mistimed that fly out to left. And First baseman should have had that grounder up the line under his glove but instead we give up two runs.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT