ADVERTISEMENT

Connor Shaw made the short list

Good article but further proof going to the Browns is the worst thing that can happen to a football player.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
Good article but further proof going to the Browns is the worst thing that can happen to a football player.
I am a Browns fan but I agree with you. That said, there is a reason that he was with the Browns and not elsewhere. He didn't have the arm talent to stay in the NFL. I was hoping he would have a long career carrying a clipboard.

Maybe they need to start grooming him to replace Tommy Suggs when he decides to retire

It wasn't his arm. He didn't have the body to stay healthy. His arm looked much stronger a few times I saw him. Back to back pre-season ending injuries were bad omens.
That's what I thought too. He didn't have the quickest release, but he could throw it a long way.

That's what I thought too. He didn't have the quickest release, but he could throw it a long way.
Trust me, his arm was a big part of why he struggled to stick with a team at the start of his pro career. Secondly, he played with a ton of heart. Very admirable, but was a big contributor to him not staying healthy. Took way too many unnecessary hits.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I loved Shaw.

As a gamecock fan the appropriate question is:

Who was your personal favorite

Shaw

Leadership. 10
Passing. 6
Accuracy. 7
Running. 10

Elilis

Leadership. 10
Passing. 10
Accuracy. 5
Running. N/a

Tanneyhill

Leadership 10
Passing. 7
Accuracy. 8
Running. 6
Testosterone. 11

Mike Hold

leadership. ?
Passing. 10
Accuracy. 10
Running. ?

just a few ....

how would you rate them?

Last edited:
Trust me, his arm was a big part of why he struggled to stick with a team at the start of his pro career.
You seem to not know the history:
On August 13, 2015, in a preseason game versus the Washington Redskins, Shaw injured multiple ligaments in his thumb, requiring surgery. It was reported that he would be facing a 12-week recovery time along with rehab, likely keep him out for the season.[17]

On June 30, 2016, Shaw was released by the Browns.[18]

Chicago Bears
On July 1, 2016, Shaw was claimed off waivers by the Chicago Bears.[19] The New Orleans Saints had accidentally sent out an email to the other 31 NFL teams, instead of the league office, indicating that they intended to claim Shaw off waivers. The Bears had waiver-claim priority over the Saints because of a worse 2015 record.[20] On August 30, 2016, Shaw was placed on injured reserve for a broken leg sustained in preseason.[21]

On March 4, 2017, Shaw signed a one-year extension with the Bears.[22] On May 30, 2017, he was waived by the Bears, becoming a free agent only to have the Bears rescind the waiver on the same day following an injury to Mark Sanchez.[23] He suffered a hamstring injury during a preseason game against the Cleveland Browns on August 31.[24] He was waived/injured on September 2 and placed on injured reserve on September 4, 2017.[25][26] He was released on September 8, 2017.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connor_Shaw

You seem to not know the history:
On August 13, 2015, in a preseason game versus the Washington Redskins, Shaw injured multiple ligaments in his thumb, requiring surgery. It was reported that he would be facing a 12-week recovery time along with rehab, likely keep him out for the season.[17]

On June 30, 2016, Shaw was released by the Browns.[18]

Chicago Bears
On July 1, 2016, Shaw was claimed off waivers by the Chicago Bears.[19] The New Orleans Saints had accidentally sent out an email to the other 31 NFL teams, instead of the league office, indicating that they intended to claim Shaw off waivers. The Bears had waiver-claim priority over the Saints because of a worse 2015 record.[20] On August 30, 2016, Shaw was placed on injured reserve for a broken leg sustained in preseason.[21]

On March 4, 2017, Shaw signed a one-year extension with the Bears.[22] On May 30, 2017, he was waived by the Bears, becoming a free agent only to have the Bears rescind the waiver on the same day following an injury to Mark Sanchez.[23] He suffered a hamstring injury during a preseason game against the Cleveland Browns on August 31.[24] He was waived/injured on September 2 and placed on injured reserve on September 4, 2017.[25][26] He was released on September 8, 2017.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connor_Shaw
My point is he was undrafted and bounced around before sticking. Why? Mostly his arm talent. His size was probably a factor also. If he had the arm talent some of you claim, he wouldn't have gone undrafted with his strong resume.

His injuries obviously played a huge role once he made a team.

My point is he was undrafted and bounced around before sticking. Why? Mostly his arm talent. His size was probably a factor also. If he had the arm talent some of you claim, he wouldn't have gone undrafted with his strong resume.

His injuries obviously played a huge role once he made a team.

Huh? Did you even read the post you responded to? He went undrafted, but he did not "bounce around." He was with 2 teams. That's hardly "bouncing around." Injuries were the only reason a role in the NFL did not work out for him.

Reactions: Flameout12
Huh? Did you even read the post you responded to? He went undrafted, but he did not "bounce around." He was with 2 teams. That's hardly "bouncing around." Injuries were the only reason a role in the NFL did not work out for him.
If I remember right (I could be wrong), he was on their practice squad most of that time. Rarely on the active roster. You may disagree but I consider that bouncing around. Until you are receiving a regular active roster pay check on a continual basis, you are being bounced around.

Huh? Did you even read the post you responded to? He went undrafted, but he did not "bounce around." He was with 2 teams. That's hardly "bouncing around."
Yep....someone is inventing their version of "facts". Connor did not have a big arm, but it was good enough to be a back-up. Otherwise, he'd have never been resigned.

If I remember right (I could be wrong), he was on their practice squad most of that time. Rarely on the active roster. You may disagree but I consider that bouncing around. Until you are receiving a regular active roster pay check on a continual basis, you are being bounced around.
You're just making your comments worse. Connor was only on a practice squad for his 1st season. The more you post, the more you erode your credibility.

you may consider that bouncing around, but you’re wrong. “Bouncing around” has a very specific connotation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT