ADVERTISEMENT

Controversial call UT/Purdue

RattleCock

Dec 16, 2021
UT went for it in OT on 4th and goal. The runner was stopped short of the goal line but clearly reached his arm to extend the ball across the goal line before the whistle blew. He was on top of a Purdue player and not touching the ground. It was ruled that he was stopped short. On replay review, the call was held up, with the refs essentially saying the whistle was irrelevant. All that mattered was the one official who ruled that his forward progress was stopped. I listened to some discussion on it on it the SECN and nobody could really come up with a way to explain the call.

I know it’s UT and all, so yay for that, but I would be livid if we got screwed like that.

From a replay standpoint, the rule is black and white. If a ref says the forward progress was stopped, then replay cannot over-rule. Now, why the rule is written that way? I’m not sure.

As a former ref, forward progress is intuitive, but tricky. Especially when a ball pops out for a fumble after you think it’s done. As far as I know there is not time limit (ie, forward progress after two seconds of not moving).

On this play, I can see it both ways. Truly, the runner is laying flat on top of another player and his body isn’t moving forward. I can see in that split second why the ref thought it was over. But on such an important play (end of game, goal line, 4th down), it seems too quick to call forward progress. This wasn’t a first down run up the middle for two yards in the first quarter. You know the guy is still fighting.

Anyway, that’s my thought as a former ref.

Can’t have it both ways— if the runner gets stood up and the ball is stripped away or pulled backwards, then the complaint is your allowing for the defense to strip the ball is not a good call. That’s why the linesman makes that call. I agree with the first reply from a former official. It was a bang, bang play.

His forward progress was stopped for the call to go the other way it would bail out a player who had no ability to move forward and wasn't well before reaching because through no credit to him the guy that stopped him happened to be between him and the ground. Anyone who wants to argue it's bad officiating should know it's against the rule for your OL to pull you forward so the play should've been whistled and flagged before the reach when the OL tried to pull him. A penalty with replayed down or allowing the play to continue after stopped progress would've bailed Tennessee out of a bad play and given then a TD they really didn't earn. It he was still on his feet and reached you could argue he earned it but the reason the rules have room for interpretation is for things like this where he clearly has been taken down and stopped but a limbo in a guy some people want to argue gave him a TD.

Forward progress stopped and play whistled dead. Doesn’t matter that he was on top of another player (standing backs get whistled dead all the time). Doesn’t matter that he reaches ball over goal line. Too late! Play is over. Cry me a river.
No, the player very clearly reached the ball across the goal line well before the whistle. There’s no debate about that. It’s about the nebulous stopping of forward progress. Even that’s debatable as he was still pushing forward.

I know our fans are incapable of looking at the play objectively, since we all hate UT, but if the same happened to us, our fans would see it in an entirely different light.

Reactions: tngamecock#
No, the player very clearly reached the ball across the goal line well before the whistle. There’s no debate about that. It’s about the nebulous stopping of forward progress. Even that’s debatable as he was still pushing forward.

I know our fans are incapable of looking at the play objectively, since we all hate UT, but if the same happened to us, our fans would see it in an entirely different light.
He didn't before the line judge began running to the spot waiving his arms in the air.....thus signaling the play was over. The whistle typically follows that by a few seconds.

He didn't before the line judge began running to the spot waiving his arms in the air.....thus signaling the play was over. The whistle typically follows that by a few seconds.
So you can honestly say if this same call was made against us that you’d be at peace with it and satisfied that the proper call was made?

Don’t say “yes” because lying is a sin lol

So you can honestly say if this same call was made against us that you’d be at peace with it and satisfied that the proper call was made?

Don’t say “yes” because ling is a sin lol
I would be pissed....simply because it is a judgment call that went against my team. But when it happens to another team, I don't really care that much.

Regardless, if the play wasn't blown dead at that point, UT would still have a penalty and it wouldn't be a TD. So I'm not really sure what the issue is.

Reactions: Cybercock

I have no special hatred of UT (team, I don't like the fans) and regularly am the guy in the stadium saying the call everyone what hates in the stands is right, Tennessee didn't earn that touchdown and they should've been flagged for the OLs tug.

The rules committee or whoever needs to clarify the helping/pushing/pulling the runner rule. Some smart coach is going to re-create the flying wedge the way the rule is now by having linemen pull and follow the runner. Maybe one of you has studied this more than I have.

Judgement call. Which usually upsets one side or the other. Like when a baseball umpire calls a pitch a strike when its about 6 inches off the plate. Might be wrong, but that's part of the game.

im-ok-with-it-its-fine.gif

Reactions: lostcock
UT went for it in OT on 4th and goal. The runner was stopped short of the goal line but clearly reached his arm to extend the ball across the goal line before the whistle blew. He was on top of a Purdue player and not touching the ground. It was ruled that he was stopped short. On replay review, the call was held up, with the refs essentially saying the whistle was irrelevant. All that mattered was the one official who ruled that his forward progress was stopped. I listened to some discussion on it on it the SECN and nobody could really come up with a way to explain the call.

I know it’s UT and all, so yay for that, but I would be livid if we got screwed like that.

You can’t PULL a player across the goal line! You can push him!

The rules committee or whoever needs to clarify the helping/pushing/pulling the runner rule. Some smart coach is going to re-create the flying wedge the way the rule is now by having linemen pull and follow the runner. Maybe one of you has studied this more than I have.

Teams are already doing that to a degree.

Any team that doesn't do this is stupid in my opinion.

Saw the replay, didn't hear the audio. But I did see the ref running in and signaling the play dead due to NO forward motion, at which time the ballcarrier stretches the ball over the goal. Play over! We'll just have to agree to disagree. Would I be mad had it been us? Of course. But I honestly think the call was right.

Reactions: Joe MorrisonLives
IMO, refs really need to be certain the play has stopped before they just say it's stopped. Example - ref blew the whistle during one of Harris's runs in the UNC game because he just decided Harris's forward progress had ceased even though it was clear he was still moving forward, all while carrying about 5 UNC guys with him. We ended up with a 1 yard gain when it should have been 6 yards.

Frankly, I feel Coach Heupel got what he deserved. The Vols had plenty of chances at the close of regulation to move into FG range, but they kept calling the same fly pattern down the right, which wasn't working.

Tennessee got what they deserved. They have screwed over people so many times over the years playing at Noyleand (No win stadium). I am glad they got screwed.

Frankly, I feel Coach Heupel got what he deserved. The Vols had plenty of chances at the close of regulation to move into FG range, but they kept calling the same fly pattern down the right, which wasn't working.
That has been my opinion from the start and nothing has happened to change it. He had control of the game as regulation drew to a close. He should have won it then.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT