ADVERTISEMENT

USC vs. UT - Score Predictions

Ward Jr

Nov 7, 2021
Cockshut Lane
Current Line: -12 UT | O/L: 63.5

--------------------------

UT's first SEC home game and much incentive for them to come out swinging given what happened last year. On paper, the game looks like it could be a other shootout.

On offense, our OL needs to play like it did in the first half of the UGA game for us to have a decent shot. Wells is likely out once again and UT will probably be overplaying Legette as a result. Other receivers are going to have to setup up if we're going to keep up with their explosive offense. There will probably be opportunities to run the ball and we'll have to find a way to take advantage if UT goes to any type of zone to slow down Rattler. (likely)

On defense, we'll have to play our best game of the year to have any chance. Milton is a very capable senior QB and their receivers are some of the best in the SEC. They also have a good balanced running game to lean on. Three of their RBs average over 6 yards per carry and the QB is a threat to run as well. It will be interesting to see how DC White chooses to play their receivers in this one after our secondary was torched last weekend with the tighter coverage.

We're likely going to need intangibles to go our to have any chance in Knoxville (turnovers, penalties, special teams, etc.) If the stars were to align, It would be a great win for this staff and certainly serve to wash away any UNC hangover.

Hope this isn't the case: UT: 38 USC: 24

Current Line: -12 UT | O/L: 63.5

--------------------------

UT's first SEC home game and much incentive for them to come out swinging given what happened last year. On paper, the game looks like it could be a other shootout.

On offense, our OL needs to play like it did in the first half of the UGA game for us to have a decent shot. Wells is likely out once again and UT will probably be overplaying Legette as a result. Other receivers are going to have to setup up if we're going to keep up with their explosive offense. There will probably be opportunities to run the ball and we'll have to find a way to take advantage if UT goes to any type of zone to slow down Rattler. (likely)

On defense, we'll have to play our best game of the year to have any chance. Milton is a very capable senior QB and their receivers are some of the best in the SEC. They also have a good balanced running game to lean on. Three of their RBs average over 6 yards per carry and the QB is a threat to run as well. It will be interesting to see how DC White chooses to play their receivers in this one after our secondary was torched last weekend with the tighter coverage.

We're likely going to need intangibles to go our to have any chance in Knoxville (turnovers, penalties, special teams, etc.) If the stars were to align, It would be a great win for this staff and certainly serve to wash away any UNC hangover.

Hope this isn't the case: UT: 38 USC: 24

Milton is in a brace, right? Not sure how much of a running threat he'll be.

With luck it'll throw his long ball off too.

Reactions: Ward Jr
Wells was a big part of that win last year. We're too one-dimensional on offense without him to cover for a pretty weak defense.

If their QB can't go or gets reinjured, there might be a chance.

Otherwise --
Tennessee: 42 USC: 31

Wells was a big part of that win last year. We're too one-dimensional on offense without him to cover for a pretty weak defense.

Otherwise --

Maybe our defense steps it up and Harbor has his coming out party. This is one you might look for an upset if it was being played at home. Just doesn't have a great feel on the road with key players out.

Otherwise --

Their backup is ab5 star, but with VERY little experience.

Reactions: PaleoCock
I think there's a ton of pressure on Tennessee after losing to Florida 2 weeks ago, special uniforms for this game, and getting their asses kicked in Columbia last year... but I think it ends up being a close game. If the defense can stop the run then Rattler should give us a chance for the upset. I predict that the Gamecocks will play well but this feels like Tennessee wins 31-20.

Score-wise I can't say. But I did have this game down as a loss. I still think that way. The only other thing I will say is that I believe that our Defense will surprise and play VERY well.

Keys To Win The Tennessee Game

Defense
-Limit The Run / QB (Read Option). TN will look to establish the run game early in order to take pressure off Milton and the passing game. Their backs hit the hole and make it to the 2nd & 3rd levels quickly. Milton has shown wheels with a long TD run last week. Reports are circling about him being banged up, but I'll believe it when I see it. We may see the backup QB if Milton Struggles. Linebackers will need to be disciplined.

-Play sound defense and tackle. This is especially true for the safeties and whoever defends the slot receiver/te. We had no answer for MSU. No doubt, Milton will take shots deep to loosen up the coverage. Although his percentage of hitting deep shots to this point has been low, the big play potential is there if we take the wrong pursuit angles and blow coverage.

** Defensive depth is an issue. We had success against GA before we wore down in the 2nd half. We will absolutely lose of we let them run up and down the field and control the clock. Establish good rotation early, and keep guys fresh.

Offense
-Protect the QB. TN has a solid DL, and will need to Rattle Rattler early to have any chance. If Rattler is comfortable we will be delighted to see receivers galloping like Elk through the woods. If the line can't hold up, get the ball out fast and utilize Tempo when appropriate. Receivers have to be ready to catch quick screens and hot route passes, etc.. Get Anderson touches in the run game. He is reliable hitting the hole and fights for extra yards. His blocking ability will be tested. Insert DK to help with protection, safety valve options, possible trick play/Wild Cock on the Goal Line, etc... We must distribute the ball to play-makers, but not force plays that are not there. It is okay to hit the check down, and keep the chains moving.

-Protect the Ball. If we dig ourselves a hole it will be a long night. Do not get Rattler hurt. QB Run when opportunities present, but slide and protect the QB & ball at all costs. Winning the turnover battle significantly increases our chances of walking out of Knoxville with a win!

-Take The Points when available. We let the NC game get out of hand by not taking the points and we tried to get fancy against Mississippi State.

Special Teams:
-Solid kickoff and punt returns
-Solid kick off and punt return defense. No cheap scores.
--No turnovers/Blocks given up
***We haven't quite hit our stride yet in 2023. We kept MSU in the game with a couple of questionable Special Teams Miscues and we haven't really had many game changing plays this year compared to previous seasons under this staff. This week would be a great breakout week. Executing 1 of any of the following will greatly help our cause...Fake Punt/Kick/scoring return /block, etc..

***BOTTOM LINE***
We are a good team when we execute and give ourselves a chance. It is imperative that we have a fast start and take the dark mode fans out early. TN fans will deny it, but the pressure is on them....We smoked them last year, "They have exhausted the fire works supply...DONE!,"-Fowler. We knocked them out of the playoffs, They are already 0-1 in conference play with SEC championship dreams promptly dashed at 0-2, they were manhandled by UF, This is a BIG night game, AT Home, Blackout, Dark Mode, etc... If they lose this game headed into a bye week ole smokey will be doing a lot of hollerin'. We have a history of slow starts in Neyland Stadium and the game can quickly get out of hand if we let TN seize momentum early. TN showed heart in the 2nd half of the Florida game after getting blistered early. I believe this will be a hard fought game. UT comes out emotional early, but we stay the course and it comes down to a kick in the 4th quarter! If we do all of the above USC - 31 TN - 28!

If we come out as the Coo Coo Cocks stumbling and bumbling over our own laces, then it gets ugly quick. 42 - 17 TN. :-o

Last edited:
This game feels like one of those program trajectory type games. We need it to keep momentum from last year. Drop this one, and it feels like we've taken a step backwards so far this season and the rebuild will take longer. Win it, even if it's close, and it will feel like we are moving onward and upward.

Wish it weren’t so, but our DBs give up massive amounts of big play yards. We seem totally confused on pass coverage on most pass plays. UT can also run the ball for huge yards. This game will be the opposite of last year. I expect UT will want to run up the score as much as possible — to the tune of 70 points or more. It’s gonna be ugly.
UT 72 SC 17

Wish it weren’t so, but our DBs give up massive amounts of big play yards. We seem totally confused on pass coverage on most pass plays. UT can also run the ball for huge yards. This game will be the opposite of last year. I expect UT will want to run up the score as much as possible — to the tune of 70 points or more. It’s gonna be ugly.
UT 72 SC 17

Wow! A 55-point victory for UT? Didn't you also call for a big loss at home against MSU last weekend?

UT 72 SC 17
LOL. Tennessee isn't that good. They likely win, but don't score 70+

With the exception of Vandy, it's hard to win on the road in the SEC unless you're one of the top teams. Muschamp had something like 4 SEC road wins in 5 years outside of Vandy. Beamer has only one. The defense better come to play if we're going to have any chance at all.

UT 72 SC 17
Wrong again. Just give up predicting. Pretty mild number of passing yards too. Only 2 catches over 20 yards, one of them a 21 yarder.

Wrong again. Just give up predicting. Pretty mild number of passing yards too. Only 2 catches over 20 yards, one of them a 21 yarder.
So what if I’m wrong? Predicting future outcomes of anything is nothing more than a fun exercise unless of course money is involved — which it wasn’t in my case. Anybody who wants to gloat that someone else is wrong is operating on a 10 year-old’s mentality. Just have fun with it — life is too short to argue over meaningless stuff.

So what if I’m wrong? Predicting future outcomes of anything is nothing more than a fun exercise unless of course money is involved — which it wasn’t in my case. Anybody who wants to gloat that someone else is wrong is operating on a 10 year-old’s mentality. Just have fun with it — life is too short to argue over meaningless stuff.
Next time predict they score 100 then. Or 200.

I really thought our offense would show better. D coordinators now have several games of film to review on Loggain's offense. Hopefully this is more on the Oline just having a bad night and not a system/playcalling issue. Too early to tell.

Hopefully this is more on the Oline just having a bad night and not a system/playcalling issue. Too early to tell.

We're 5 games into the season. 1 game shy of the half way mark.

You've seen this OL underperform for 5 straight games, and you still think it's too early to tell? You hope it was "just a bad night"?? Example #3482 why you can't be taken seriously.

Reactions: uscwatson21
I really thought our offense would show better. D coordinators now have several games of film to review on Loggain's offense. Hopefully this is more on the Oline just having a bad night and not a system/playcalling issue. Too early to tell.

Our Left Tackle was beaten on nearly Every. Single. Play. in the second half. No offense will work when the QB is having to rush every single throw or escape pressure every single play. Play calling is irrelevant when the OL can't block. I don't konw why we didn't send the RB to help out the left tackle

Our Left Tackle was beaten on nearly Every. Single. Play. in the second half. No offense will work when the QB is having to rush every single throw or escape pressure every single play. Play calling is irrelevant when the OL can't block. I don't konw why we didn't send the RB to help out the left tackle

I agree. Oline looked terrible against UNC, but definitely looked better against Georgia and Miss St. Not sure why we regressed for this game. But even when the line blocked well, not a lot worked.

Whose job is it to call plays based on what the OL can do? It's literally the OC who controls whether or not there is a TE to assist the LT or how the RB blocks in protection. It's amazing how you guys want the poor play calling to be an excuse for the play calling. The epitome of circular logic.

The OL has been the Achilles heel the entire season. In the age of the transfer portal, it's perplexing how a staff can field this unit in year 3.

If you look at Tennessee's starting 4 on the Dline.

Tyler Barron - Sr 4 star
Omari Thomas - Sr 4 star
Bryson Eason - Jr 4 star
Roman Harrison - Sr 4 star

Our starting Oline

Tree Babalade - Fr 4 star
Nick Garguilo - Sr 3 star rating as transfer
Vershon Lee - Jr 3 star
Trovon Baugh - Fr 3 star
Tyshawn Wannamaker - Jr 3 star

So, in summary, their worst dlineman is better than our best olineman. We need better players, or the ones we have gotta play a LOT better than they ever have.

If you look at Tennessee's starting 4 on the Dline.

Tyler Barron - Sr 4 star
Omari Thomas - Sr 4 star
Bryson Eason - Jr 4 star
Roman Harrison - Sr 4 star

Our starting Oline

Tree Babalade - Fr 4 star
Nick Garguilo - Sr 3 star rating as transfer
Vershon Lee - Jr 3 star
Trovon Baugh - Fr 3 star
Tyshawn Wannamaker - Jr 3 star

So, in summary, their worst dlineman is better than our best olineman. We need better players, or the ones we have gotta play a LOT better than they ever have.

Interesting comparison given both staffs are in their third year.

Seems one is better at attracting talent. So much so, that he overcame his supposed coaching deficiencies too.

All 4 of those players committed to Tennessee 2 years before Heupel. He inherited every one of them.

But yes, Tennessee has almost always attracted more talent than us.

All 4 of those players committed to Tennessee 2 years before Heupel. He inherited every one of them.

But yes, Tennessee has almost always attracted more talent than us.

Oh I agree, Tennessee has attracted a lot more talent since huepel got there.

Before that, their classes were pretty similar to ours. But we've covered that for years. I don't expect you to ever acknowledge that.

From a thread after Huepel and Beamers first game:

Their recruiting over the last 5 years was within 2 or 3 (average) spots of the gamecocks. That is if you toss out last years finish in the 70's, which throws that off.

Edit: I had looked this up in another thread.

Year UT SC
2017 15 16
2018 20 18
2019 13 19
2020 8 18
2021 27 79

2021 throws the average off, admittedly, but since that was the true freshman class this year, it should have the least impact.

The four years prior are actually very close. They average about 4 spaces apart.

Last edited:
Reactions: uscwatson21
Wrong.

In 2020, Tennessee had 5 five stars and 31 four stars on their team.
In 2023, Tennessee has 2 five stars and 33 four stars on their team.

Offense looks worse this year without the QB he inherited. The defense will look worse after the Dline he inherited is gone. Then he will be fired like all the Great Pumpkins before him, Charlie Brown.

He may last a little longer since he is tight with the AD. Probably get a big buyout to smooth it over.

Wrong.

In 2020, Tennessee had 5 five stars and 31 four stars on their team.
In 2023, Tennessee has 2 five stars and 33 four stars on their team.

Offense looks worse this year without the QB he inherited. The defense will look worse after the Dline he inherited is gone. Then he will be fired like all the Great Pumpkins before him, Charlie Brown.

The recruiting ranks are facts just like the star rankings page you're reading. You can scream "wrong" all you want. It never made a difference before, it won't make a difference now.

(Edit: This is where you degrade even further to start whining that one site's star rankings is so much better than another site's star rankings)

And I think the qb will be fine with the kid they have on the bench. But I'll chalk that up to another failed prognostication of UTs demise. If you keep saying it, maybe one year it'll happen.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT