ADVERTISEMENT

Coolest stadium you’ve ever visited and why.

I've driven past it many times but never been in. Agree it looks absolutely fantastic.

I would love to live in Seattle but my wife unlikely to go for it.

Never been but Husky Stadium for U-Washington, from the pictures looks to have the best scenery bar none.
Husky_stadium.jpg

Reactions: Judson1
besides WB, sadly I have only been to Jordan Hare for the 2010 game. Pretty nice overall. Nothing really stood out though.
The one and only Death Valley, in Baton Rouge. I still have internal injuries from the cups thrown from the top deck.

Reactions: Judson1
Me too. Saw the great sandy koufax set a record by striking out 15 in the world series. Saw mantle hit a moon shot to dead center field in the same series. Had to have been well over 400 feet. Dead center field was 461. As a kid I had not seen a ball hit that far or anything even close. I was shocked. Just as shocked that it was caught

Saw mantle hit a moonshot to dead center field. Had to have been way over 400 feet. Dead center field was 461 feet. Caught for an out. Couldn’t believe, as a kid, that a) anyone could hit a ball that far and b) it would be an out. Also saw the great sandy koufax set a world series record by striking out 15.
Koufax was incredible.

NFL: A December game in Lambeau. It is a great setting for football. Plenty of history, and COLD.

NCAA: The Swamp. Big, and that color just pops. I also like the way it seems it was just put together piecemeal. That screams college stadium. Also, it is the most consistently loud stadium, from start to finish, where I've attended a football game.

Wrigley Field was the coolest, and the only place I've ever caught a foul ball! I've had the chance to sit in many places there and enjoyed them all. I got needlessly yelled at by an agitated usher for sitting my beer on the third base dugout.

Basketball: If we count a basketball arena as a stadium, it would be a tie between the old Boston Garden for a Celtics - Lakers game...Celtics fans do not care for the Lakers...or Cameron for Duke - UNC.

Soccer: Sorry, but another tie. Old Trafford for Manchester United - Liverpool. I love international soccer, especially the EPL, and ESPECIALLY Manchester United! I felt silly trying to do the chants and singing at first, but caught on quickly. I also got to fistbump Wayne Rooney after another game there.

El Monumental(River Plate Stadium) for River Plate - Boca Juniors. This is one of the fiercest soccer rivalries in the world. The atmosphere was intense. You could feel the emotion, anticipation, hate, angst, etc., even before kickoff. I'm glad River Plate won, because I really think there could've been a riot if they didn't.

Wrigley and Fenway for the history. Camden Yard because it was the first of its type
Yankee stadium and Doubleday field behind the baseball HOF
Football Death Valley, the real one not the cheap knock off in the upstate
Super dome. Lambeau

1 - Dodger Stadium.
2 - Dudy-Noble Field at Polk-DeMent Stadium.
If you are a college baseball fan, this needs to be on your bucket list.
You're right. And when is the last time they won the CWS? I know I crack on Miss. State a lot, but it seems absurd to me that such a backward place - the town if not the school - has raised the facilities bar in this fashion. I've only seen pictures; glad you have been out there.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
You're right. And when is the last time they won the CWS? I know I crack on Miss. State a lot, but it seems absurd to me that such a backward place - the town if not the school - has raised the facilities bar in this fashion. I've only seen pictures; glad you have been out there.
The thing about MSU is that while they do like to win and have a solid history without the trophy to go with it (reminds me of another program I know well), the tailgate is the draw there. They throw a tailgate party and baseball game just happens in the middle of it.

The thing about MSU is that while they do like to win and have a solid history without the trophy to go with it (reminds me of another program I know well), the tailgate is the draw there. They throw a tailgate party and baseball game just happens in the middle of it.
Sounds pretty cool to me.

WB cool?

Most off campus stadiums built in 1934 have been replaced.

We deserve better than our industrial park pigskin palace.

Go Cocks!

!. Fenway Park - cozy, historic, rabid fans
2. PNC Park - The view of the Pittsburgh skyline is picturesque. It's like you could reach out and touch.
3. Wrigley Field - see Fenway Park, but not quite as nice.
4. The Swamp - Loudest stadium I have been in.
5. Old Yankee Stadium - Not Ruth and Mantle's, but one before the new one

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I tend to favor the baseball stadiums just because they seem to be more unique than most football stadiums. I like asymmetrical stadiums with odd sightlines, weird seating, etc.

I like the total experience at Oriole Park in Baltimore even though we were Nats fans and mostly attended games at Nationals Park when we lived in that area.

But for most bang for your buck, I thoroughly enjoyed Isotopes Park in Albuquerque and Bricktown Ballpark in Oklahoma City. They are beautiful parks in great settings with enthusiastic crowds. Combine all that with cheap tickets and a very hassle free experience, and I loved it. Those are the only AAA parks I've experienced, but if that is the norm, then I highly recommend everyone take in some AAA games.

As for college football, I dont know which non-WB stadium is my favorite, but I will say I thought the stadium and gameday experience at Penn State was the most overrated one I've attended. For 106,000 fans, it really wasnt all that loud or exciting. They'd crap their pants at a Tiger stadium night game.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I tend to favor the baseball stadiums just because they seem to be more unique than most football stadiums. I like asymmetrical stadiums with odd sightlines, weird seating, etc.

I like the total experience at Oriole Park in Baltimore even though we were Nats fans and mostly attended games at Nationals Park when we lived in that area.

But for most bang for your buck, I thoroughly enjoyed Isotopes Park in Albuquerque and Bricktown Ballpark in Oklahoma City. They are beautiful parks in great settings with enthusiastic crowds. Combine all that with cheap tickets and a very hassle free experience, and I loved it. Those are the only AAA parks I've experienced, but if that is the norm, then I highly recommend everyone take in some AAA games.

As for college football, I dont know which non-WB stadium is my favorite, but I will say I thought the stadium and gameday experience at Penn State was the most overrated one I've attended. For 106,000 fans, it really wasnt all that loud or exciting. They'd crap their pants at a Tiger stadium night game.
Charlotte has a beautiful downtown park, rated the best AAA park in the country by some publications. The downtown views remind me of PNC Park in Pittsburgh.

I do need to add, my most interesting stadium experience was a couple years ago in Stade Olympia, Rome. Went to see Roma play some low level Serie A team. The obligatory public transportation ride was jam packed- no social distancing there- with twenty something guys singing soccer songs. After convincing non English speaking gate folks I really did not need my passport to get in, they accepted my Real Drivers License ID. I went through three searches and a policia gauntlet with automatic rifles. If course, I bought the cheapest seats with the Rowdys in the end zone. There were flags, lots of folks smoking and an interesting welcome cheer to the visitors, none of which I understood except for the middle finger salute. We were cordoned off from all other fans. So we're the visitors. The very old Olympic statdium was half full, but both end zones had flag waving home team fans. And,since it had a track for Olympic games, our seats were waaaaay back from the pitch.

And of course, being a Gamecock, since I was virtually the only English speaking person in the vicinity, they made me feel at home by losing a football game they should not have lost. Despite that, it was a quite an experience.

Saitama stadium and one of the reasons is that was the first and only time I got to see Bayern play (friendly against the Urawa Reds). Another reason is Japan has the best train system in the world (in my opinion) and I was able to leave from my residence, walk to Hijima Station, made, I think, two or three train line transfers and arrived at the Saitama stadium without the use of a vehicle. Saitama stadium is also fairly new that opened in 2002 and hosted some matches for the 2002 World Cup.

The Ralph Englestad Arena (University of North Dakota hockey) is a really nice venue. it is almost as big as the Carolina Coliseum and it is bigger than little john. I willing to bet that the North Dakota's Hockey out draws the UND football. I never knew that college hockey had a following of fans like the Fighting Hawks. I currently reside less than two miles from the arena.

maxresdefault.jpg

o.jpg

3.jpg

Ralph%20Engelstad%20Arena%20in%20Grand%20Forks.%20%20Forum%20News%20Service%20file%20photo

Last edited:
Reactions: DrMickey
Dodger Stadium is a wonderful place to watch a ballgame. Looking out at the mountains is so beautiful. I just hope one day I'll be able to take Daddy out there so he can see it too. Although he does have one on me. He got to see games at Ebbets - World Series games, no less, in '55 and '56.

The Sarge will always be home to me, for more reasons than I care to list.

In '56 did your dad get to see Don Larsen pitch the perfect game in the WS?

M & T Bank Stadium Prime Time for the Ravens is a special experience. Oriole Park at Camden Yards 2012 for Game AL Divisional playoffs against the Yankees. Never sat down once and had so much fun screaming Yankees Suck! and STE.....ROI...DS every time A-Rod came to bat.

Old Yankee Stadium...and is my favorite of all time because Mickey Mantle was in the outfield.

I always wanted to see a game at the old Yankee Stadium because of all the Greats that played there. I always thought it would be neat to just sit in your seat and look at the field and stadium and just picture the fantastic players and games that were played there over the years. I was in NYC a couple of summers ago and I didn't even look up the Yankee's schedule to see if they were playing because it was not the field that Mantle, Ford, Yogi and all of the other Greats played on and hence I was not interested.

Dodger Stadium is a wonderful place to watch a ballgame. Looking out at the mountains is so beautiful. I just hope one day I'll be able to take Daddy out there so he can see it too. Although he does have one on me. He got to see games at Ebbets - World Series games, no less, in '55 and '56.

The Sarge will always be home to me, for more reasons than I care to list.

Oh come on and list some of those reasons! Was it because of some "old flames"? Don't leave us guessing.

Reactions: DrMickey
I always wanted to see a game at the old Yankee Stadium because of all the Greats that played there. I always thought it would be neat to just sit in your seat and look at the field and stadium and just picture the fantastic players and games that were played there over the years. I was in NYC a couple of summers ago and I didn't even look up the Yankee's schedule to see if they were playing because it was not the field that Mantle, Ford, Yogi and all of the other Greats played on and hence I was not interested.
My cousin plays for the yankees

WOW! Who is your cousin?
Brett Gardner. It’s a great story. Kid wasn’t even offered a scholarship. Not even by a small school. Enrolled at c of c and walked on for fall practice. Was cut in less than a week. Came back to practice the next day. Coach says what are you doing here? I cut you. Brett says coach I know I can play at this level. Coach says okay if you want to be here that much you can practice. We can use the bodies but you’re not on the team. Brett said he’d take it. The rest is history

1. Fenway Park- just the history of it all. We went for the first time several years ago. Yankees were playing the Red Sox on a Saturday afternoon. Entering the stadium and seeing the facade behind home plate was just a tremendous moment. Area around the Park is so festive and alive.

2. Yankee Stadium- was fortunate enough to have seen the old and the refurbished. Have not seen the new. The one thing that sticks out at Yankee Stadium to me (as a kid in the 60’s) was how great the Yankee uniforms looked- almost a cream color.

3. Suntrust (Truist?) Park- the Battery area to me is a homerun around the park. Very alive on game day. I kind of liked the old Fulton County Stadium as a kid, sight lines weren’t great but the stadium looked good from the outside. Turner Field was ok (plaza was nice) but Suntrust is a fun place.

For setting, I'll give a shout-out to the University of Montana's stadium in Missoula. It's tucked between the Clark Fork River and Mount Sentinel (site of the big "M"). For an FCS stadium, it's pretty impressive.

d1c559ce7e39c51542d65ee36d9fe2a4.jpg

152873620532060be86cf8f25128bf8c3f521b3d06.jpg

LA Coliseum, Wrigley, Dodger Stadium, Lavell Edwards (BYU)

I've walked around the Rose Bowl and some other cool ones

For setting, I'll give a shout-out to the University of Montana's stadium in Missoula. It's tucked between the Clark Fork River and Mount Sentinel (site of the big "M"). For an FCS stadium, it's pretty impressive.

d1c559ce7e39c51542d65ee36d9fe2a4.jpg

152873620532060be86cf8f25128bf8c3f521b3d06.jpg
I remember traveling through Missoula on interstate 90 going towards Seattle and see a M. Is that the same M? Can you see it from interstate 90?

Charlotte has a beautiful downtown park, rated the best AAA park in the country by some publications. The downtown views remind me of PNC Park in Pittsburgh.
Very nice park. I've been part of a group that has sung the National Anthem there a couple of times. One small detraction is that, if you sit in the left field stands, there is a blind spot near the left field foul line that obscures plays made in fair territory near the outfield wall in that area. But it is a nice ballpark.

Reactions: Holy City Cock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT