ADVERTISEMENT

Could it Happen? Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC??

If UT wants to align with any conference my guess it would be the B1G or the PAC-12 as mcuh for academic reasons as athletic. I could see both Oklahoma and Okie State comng to the SEC.
Maybe, but don't discount Texas and Kansas to the ACC.

The rumors are mutual interest, so the SEC must see something it wants.
Absolutely, I will agree with this statement that the SEC is interested in having Texas. My point is that the SEC is already a great conference without Texas, so I just do not see this as the SEC letting Texas in the conference and having Texas dictating everything. In the last ten years, four Big 12 teams has left the conference and now two more are rumored to want out. That leaves me to believe that Texas wants out a little more than SEC wanting Texas.

Insignificance reduced? Doesn't that mean we become more significant? I don't think that is what you mean...
I think that would have been a better way way of expressing it. In my mind, I was thinking about our level. It would be further diminished.

Well, I think for sure we would finally do the right thing and go to nine games. I also think that, if the ACC follows suit, we might need to make overtures to get back in there. With the NIL situation, any hope we ever had if competing for an SEC championship in football will evaporate.
Nobody will leave the SEC. Too much money. The only way that the SEC expands is if they project that it will bring more money for each school member to do it.

A 16 team conference is basically 2 conferences. Expansion has been good for college football in the $$$ category, but it sucks for the game itself. The 12 team conference was perfect. Between the NIL and our team’s lack of competitiveness, another round of expansion might be the final straw for me. Not saying I’ll quit watching. I just think things will naturally get a lot less interesting.

Reactions: rogue cock
Nobody will leave the SEC. Too much money. The only way that the SEC expands is if they project that it will bring more money for each school member to do it.
That is probable. But don't ever rule out surprises. If this happens, other leagues will be scrambling. Never say never. Big 10 money is right up there with SEC money.

A 16 team conference is basically 2 conferences. Expansion has been good for college football in the $$$ category, but it sucks for the game itself. The 12 team conference was perfect. Between the NIL and our team’s lack of competitiveness, another round of expansion might be the final straw for me. Not saying I’ll quit watching. I just think things will naturally get a lot less interesting.
It's ridiculous. We already go too long without playing some conference members in football. Sixteen teams will only make it worse, but the cads pushing for this are black hearted vermin that lack brains and decency.

I don’t think people are really grasping what an effect NIL is going have on conference affiliation. The “other” factors that led a kid to chose one school over another (outside of program prestige and playing time) such as fit, location, and even academics are out the window. It’s where the kid can make the most money. Kids will want to play in conferences where the most money is being paid across the board. The winners will be the Big 10 and SEC. Oklahoma and Texas, probably see the writing on the wall. I can foresee the day of a single super conference by major sport. National brand teams such as ND, Michigan, Miami, and perhaps SoCal will benefit from NIL tremendously in football. The latter three have struggled to get the elite talent because they haven’t won big lately, but with NIL that won’t matter so much anymore. It’s going to create large talent and quality gaps from top to bottom within some conferences and that will lead to realignment I’m afraid.
Excellent observations and on-target, I believe.

Well, I think for sure we would finally do the right thing and go to nine games. I also think that, if the ACC follows suit, we might need to make overtures to get back in there. With the NIL situation, any hope we ever had if competing for an SEC championship in football will evaporate.
A 9 game league schedule would be bad for South Carolina.

You've got three of your Power Five conferences already playing nine-game schedules. You're not going to add teams and stay at eight. Not anymore. Resign yourself to that.
Which makes all of this trash even worse. We'll have nine SEC...hell, might as well just rename it the North American Conference...games and the taters. So that leaves two games, which will no doubt be against the Woffords and Georgia States of the world. Forget any good intersectional games.

Absolutely, I will agree with this statement that the SEC is interested in having Texas. My point is that the SEC is already a great conference without Texas, so I just do not see this as the SEC letting Texas in the conference and having Texas dictating everything. In the last ten years, four Big 12 teams has left the conference and now two more are rumored to want out. That leaves me to believe that Texas wants out a little more than SEC wanting Texas.
In Andy Staples column on The Athletic this morning, he offered this nugget...

"Details remain sketchy, but we know that a media consultant hired by the Big 12 delivered a report in May to the league’s presidents that indicated television partners ESPN and Fox do not wish to negotiate a new deal with the Big 12 early."

I can't imagine a bigger sign to a university president or athletic director that your athletic conference is swirling the bowl. I think this is likely the biggest reason TX and OK are suddenly looking to bolt the Big12.

I think the remainder of the Big12 (that is of any value) gets picked clean in the ensuing mayhem.

Reactions: FCB 2013 treble
You've got three of your Power Five conferences already playing nine-game schedules. You're not going to add teams and stay at eight. Not anymore. Resign yourself to that.
Nine conference games could happen. But, I think last year illustrated just how brutal the SEC truly is. All week during Media Days every coach roundly condemned going to a 9-Game schedule.

Yes, 3 other P5 conferences play a 9-game conference schedule. It hasn't helped them though.

In a 4-Team Play-Off, the SEC is still the only conference that has put 2 teams into that bracket.

Nine conference games could happen. But, I think last year illustrated just how brutal the SEC truly is. All week during Media Days every coach roundly condemned going to a 9-Game schedule.

Yes, 3 other P5 conferences play a 9-game conference schedule. It hasn't helped them though.

In a 4-Team Play-Off, the SEC is still the only conference that has put 2 teams into that bracket.
I'll roundly predict nine games. If that doesn't happen, additional OOC games vs. Power Five opponents will be mandated - one or the other.

God, how damn sickening. Why don't we just have a 50 team conference while we're at it?
LOL! I heard a sports figure say 30 years ago that eventually there will only be two conferences, the East and West Conferences and the winner of each will play for the National Championship.

Not to some people. College football was my life for decades until mentally decayed fools started to ruin it.
It was my life, too, for a number of decades, but it is slowing slipping away in terms of importance in my life.

Last edited:
Sure, TX can come to the SEC. As long as they understand that...

- There will no longer be a Longhorn Network. It's dead.

- There will be no "Horns Up/Horns Down" Taunting nonsense. If you are stupid enough to flash handsigns. You will be abused for it.

- That ignorant "The Eyes of Texas" song does NOT come with you. You will not bring that racist bullcrap into our conference.

IOW, you are going to prove that you REALLY want to come to the SEC. And, that once you are here you are going to sit down, shut up and mind your manners.

That whiny, nattering, entitled idiocy you pulled in the Big12 isn't going to fly here.

If you want to be in the SEC, fine. But, you are going to do things our way and how we tell you to do it. You aren't dictating Jack-Squat here.
What does the Horns Up/Horns down signals mean?

Oh it's really possible. The weakening of the NCAA means major realignments are coming and super conferences are inevitable. It was likely regardless. The SEC knows the money and prestige Texas and Oklahoma bring. If the SEC doesn't take them, some other conference surely will.

Last edited:
From multiple sources I’ve heard it’s happening. Ok and Texas don’t want to renew with B12.

I’ve heard a few scenarios:

1. Auburn, Alabama join east- Tex Ok go to West.

2. Miss St and Ole Miss move East. Tex Ok join west.

3. 4 “pod” situation, where teams are broken into 4 pods. You play the teams in your pod and rotate between the pods every year. So the suggest pod we would be in would be with Florida, UGA and Kentucky. Expansion talks want to make sure you’re not going 10 years in between playing someone.

Oh it's really possible. The weakening of the NCAA means major realignments are coming and super conferences are inevitable. It was likely regardless. The SEC knows the money and prestige Texas and Oklahoma bring. If the SEC doesn't take them, some other conference surely will.
If they want to come in, it would be stupid not to take them. Little did we know that the @$$-beating we took from Auburn in Atlanta was the closest we were ever going to come to an SEC championship - EVER!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT